• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Trails in the Sky: 254,152
Trails in the Sky SC: 37,625
Trails in the Sky the 3rd: 14,844
Trails of Cold Steel: 47,881
Trails of Cold Steel II: 17,349

Ys VIII: 8,874
Tokyo Xanadu eX+: 10,220

Just want to point out to anyone upset about the Trails games.

These games only include people who actually played the game, Not people who have them lying in their backlogs for later. Also Trails games apparently do really well on GOG and SC's all time low was 14.99 on there compared to 19.49 on Steam, So that definitely attracted people.

also im not sure why people are acting like Cold Steel 2 did bad? Its a 40 dollar game that came out on PC 2 years after console, and is a direct sequel to a huge story driven RPG so the drop off is of course going to be pretty big.

I'm sure XSEED is happy with Cold Steel's performance on PC.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, Street Fighter V doesn't seem to be on the list, it has achievements though.. would've been interested to see how it ended up selling.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there are a ton of games sitting in people's backlogs that haven't been touched. I wonder if Valve is going to do anything for the pubs/devs that are getting low balled in their numbers and getting negative press from it. I feel a lot of games on here are low because of people not playing them. I already came across 20+ games in this thread that I own but haven't played and I know there are a huge amount of people like me out there.

For example. I own almost every Ys game but have only played Origins. Same goes for Final Fantasy and Trails in the Sky / Cold Steel. And that's not even close to what I haven't played.

After all that said. I'd still like to know the Street Fighter V numbers to see how many people at least attempted to play the game.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
GTAV's numbers confuse me, GTAV sells that much without including Rockstar Club Versions & we don't get RDR2 day one?
Im starting to wonder if they have a contract with Sony or something to delay the PC version, even one of the top shareholders asked why there wasn't a PC version of RDR2 & i can see why.

My theory on some sort of contract isn't entirely rubbish, i do believe there is a contract between Sony & Take 2, one of the details we know is Take 2 were not allowed to release GTA4 on 360 before PS3, when the 360 version was finished a few months earlier.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like there are a ton of games sitting in people's backlogs that haven't been touched. I wonder if Valve is going to do anything for the pubs/devs that are getting low balled in their numbers and getting negative press from it. I feel a lot of games on here are low because of people not playing them. I already came across 20+ games in this thread that I own but haven't played and I know there are a huge amount of people like me out there.

For example. I own almost every Ys game but have only played Origins. Same goes for Final Fantasy and Trails in the Sky / Cold Steel. And that's not even close to what I haven't played.

After all that said. I'd still like to know the Street Fighter V numbers to see how many people at least attempted to play the game.

I'm the same way, Trails FC, All 3 Tales games on Steam, Steins;Gate, Zero Escape Trilogy, Both Xanadu games, Zwei 2, YS Seven, and Corpse Party are just a small selection of the games I have in my steam library that I havent even touched.

I'm even buying Ys Memories of Celceta at launch but im not playing it until after I beat SEVEN. I feel bad every day that I dont make any progress on my backlog.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Valve should really get into the business of releasing the fifth instalment of their series judging by the sales of Grand Theft Auto, Skyrim and Civilization. Perhaps they can buy a couple of series that ended after their fourth instalment.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn rocket league only 10m on steam ? So +30 on console alone?? Holy unexpected tbh

Last number I got was 16.5 million in total sales and over 40 million registered users. Where are you getting your information from?

They had 10.5 million in sales in March 2017 with 29 million users and at the beginning of this year they had 6 million additional sales and 40 million registered users.

On another note...

This thread is really bad with people creating sensationalism with numbers that are lowballed across the bored. But the majority of people here aren't going to use the facts presented to them as to why the numbers are the way they are and they are going to spit their misinformation. Because negativity and drama tastes too good baby.

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one CoD WWII listed in there.

Yeah, for whatever reason they didn't. Maybe because CoDs multiplayers don't have store pages. (as it would be pointless). So who ever collected this data, didn't account for special cases like this.

Barter has both for some games and there's significant difference

https://barter.vg/i/8213/a/
https://barter.vg/i/3471/a/

https://barter.vg/i/34679/a/
https://barter.vg/i/47410/a/

I'm looking at my buddy's steam profile, and we have been family sharing for years, and none of his achievements come from any games I share with him. Some of which I know he'd played enough of to unlock achievements.

In fact, nothing from our shared games shows up on his account, not even under recent activity.

The only thing I can think of is either that page is wrong, or maybe achievements unlock locally but not on your account or something.

You do get achievements, but can't compare them and games won't show up on profile, expect in recent games list.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Checked our own game and the results were noticeably less accurate than the old SteamSpy prediction method.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Checked our own game and the results were noticeably less accurate than the old SteamSpy prediction method.

I've heard this from several places now, enough to be skeptical of these numbers.
Well if I understood it correctly it only accounts for people that own a game and started it once. So those numbers would naturally always be lower than the actual owners.
So at best it's an indicator of "this game has sold at least this much, but I guess there's no way to estimate how much lower than the actual owners this number is.

It's interesting data, but it's far from providing a comprehensive picture of a game's sales.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I wonder why. Isn't the game arguable better than the first one? Is it the setting? Did people not like the original? Bit weird.

There's a pretty good chance that RPG fans just don't like pirates. There's precedent for this (Risen 1 vs Risen 2). If another PoE gets made, I expect it will return to the traditional fantasy setting of the first game or attempt some sort of compromise (like Risen 3 did).

Valve should really get into the business of releasing the fifth instalment of their series judging by the sales of Grand Theft Auto, Skyrim and Civilization. Perhaps they can buy a couple of series that ended after their fourth instalment.

Baby steps. Valve still needs to make it past 2.

If it's based solely on achievements, then it is most definitely less accurate than SteamSpy's old method. The old method looked at the games that people actually owned. This method looks for games where players have unlocked at least one achievement. This is a more accurate measure of which games people have actually played vs games that people own.

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to point out to anyone upset about the Trails games.

These games only include people who actually played the game, Not people who have them lying in their backlogs for later. Also Trails games apparently do really well on GOG and SC's all time low was 14.99 on there compared to 19.49 on Steam, So that definitely attracted people.

also im not sure why people are acting like Cold Steel 2 did bad? Its a 40 dollar game that came out on PC 2 years after console, and is a direct sequel to a huge story driven RPG so the drop off is of course going to be pretty big.

I'm sure XSEED is happy with Cold Steel's performance on PC.

If we are talking about the first game, yes, there might be people who redeemed it from the bundle without downloading. However, any non-bundle game is unlikely to have been bought and forgotten. The payout for the bundle copies is less than $1 per bundle.

17k copies for the game is bad, regardless how you spin it. You should contrast Trails sequels with other JPRGs on Steam, then you will understand just how bad 17k copies is compared to the average of what "Tales of" or Hyperdimension.

Cold Steel 1 broke a million mark on PS4. PC is selling 3-4% of what PS4 other platforms. You can use the mentality that 3%>0%, but XSEED would benefit much more if they focused on PS4, Switch and mobile.

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Steam gaming is so weird. It almost smells musty. All these games remind of 1997 or something.

Team Fortress 2 (kill me of boredom, this game still exists edition)
Counter Strike (it's 2018 guys)

All these run on $200 laptops at max settings probably

so on.

Such old musty games.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-checking this data with the Valve-provided best sellers of 2018 so far (https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_so_far_top_sellers/). Both at the start of July so probably pretty good.

Keep in mind Valve's lists are probably categorized by revenue and includes DLC and MTX revenue. I'm also going to stick with new 2018 releases.

Platinum Tier:

Jurassic World Evolution - 481,240
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 827,988
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - 1,252,257

Gold Tier:
DRAGON BALL FighterZ - 444,795
FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION - 489,872

Silver Tier:
Frostpunk -679,334
RAFT - 810,826

Bronze Tier:
House Flipper - 351,645
Vampyr - 162,765
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet- 183,822
FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE - 110,374
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - 124,778
Bless Online - 192,188
BATTLETECH - 289,619
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR - 99,326
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - 203,867
DARK SOULS: REMASTERED - 348,944
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia - 224,856

--
There also lists for top VR games this year and top new releases by month, if someone wants to do the work.

https://store.steampowered.com/2018_so_far

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If we are talking about the first game, yes, there might be people who redeemed it from the bundle without downloading. However, any non-bundle game is unlikely to have been bought and forgotten. The payout for the bundle copies is less than $1 per bundle.

17k copies for the game is bad, regardless how you spin it. You should contrast Trails sequels with other JPRGs on Steam, then you will understand just how bad 17k copies is compared to the average of what "Tales of" or Hyperdimension.

Cold Steel 1 broke a million mark on PS4. PC is selling 3-4% of what PS4 did. You can use the mentality that 3%>0%, but XSEED would benefit much more if they focused on PS4, Switch and mobile.

First off, Cold Steel wasn't in a bundle, Sky FC was in a Humble Monthly last year but thats it.

Cold Steel 1-3 sold 1.3m across PS3,Vita,PS4 and PC as of June. The PS4 version only sold like 13k in Japan while CS2 sold 11k.

48k people bought and played Cold Steel 1 on Steam. This doesn't include the GOG users or people who have it lying in their backlogs. For a 40 dollar port of a 2 year old niche game (in the west). Its pretty good.

It outsold SC and is the 2nd highest selling Trails game on PC. Which I'm sure is more than what XSEED was expecting.

Cold Steel 2 has been out for a much shorter time frame and raked up 17k players on Steam. Thats not bad. Especially since it came out on PC with little notice and attention.

Neptunia and Tales are bigger franchises than Trails and Falcom games aren't the highest budget titles. With XSEED being a smaller studio I highly doubt they didn't profit off of CS2. Trails has always been really niche in the west and XSEED is well aware.

Xanadu Next, Zwei 1 and 2, Ys SEVEN didn't sell very well at all, but XSEED keeps localizing them and releasing them on PC. They wouldn't be doing this is they were losing money.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
2018-07-0711_30_39-var4pp0.jpg

:(

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Jet Set Radio's numbers are greatly inflated by the fact Sega gave it away for free at one point. The numbers were much lower before that promotion.
SEGA's given away a huge amount of the games on the list. It seemingly never helped NiGHTS or SEGA Bass Fishing much, so it has genuinely sold a solid amount for what it is.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Look at the achievement stats for POE1, not a lot of people made it past the first act let alone finished the game. They marketed the sequel as a direct follow up to the first that picks up right where 1 ended and allows you to import your character with all your choices and whatnot from the first game. I think they shot themselves in the foot with this approach as now anyone interested in playing 2 would want to finish 1 first.

That's me. I tried to finish Pillars 3 times but the Combat always bogs my fun down. Also the XP mechanics.
In contrast to Divinity Original Sin, where the combat is super fun and the sequel immediately set records.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Valve was bullshitting about GDPR. Just as I was saying back when that change was made. They're just overtly trying to kill SteamSpy.

If them Forcing people's libraries to Private was merely about GDPR, why did they move so quickly to obfuscate achievement decimal places the moment people realized they could extrapolate playercounts from it?

Trails in the Sky Syndrome STRIKES AGAIN!

Not true.
Apparently the guy that worked out this method has subsequently been in touch with Valve. Though he can't say exactly what is happening -

"I never called it a leak, that's arstechnica calling it that.

I've been chatting with valve about it/their replacement these past few days. I cannot speak on their behalf for their reasoning in doing so, but I don't think their decision to remove it involved any malice or spite towards steamspy."

While this does make sense since prior to this Valve had always been supportive and even recommended SteamSpy as a utility for developers, I still don't believe the GDPR reasoning or understand the full motivation yet

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cross-checking this data with the Valve-provided best sellers of 2018 so far (https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_so_far_top_sellers/). Both at the start of July so probably pretty good.

Keep in mind Valve's lists are probably categorized by revenue and includes DLC and MTX revenue. I'm also going to stick with new 2018 releases.

Platinum Tier:

Gold Tier:

Silver Tier:
Frostpunk -679,334
RAFT - 810,826

Bronze Tier:
House Flipper - 351,645
Vampyr - 162,765
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet- 183,822
FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE - 110,374
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - 124,778
Bless Online - 192,188
BATTLETECH - 289,619
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR - 99,326
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - 203,867
DARK SOULS: REMASTERED - 348,944

--
There also lists for top VR games this year and top new releases by month, if someone wants to do the work.

https://store.steampowered.com/2018_so_far

Glad to see Vermintide and Frostpunk doing so well. Especially the latter clearly outselling some pretty hefty releases.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
SEGA:

Company of Heroes 2 - 4,654,955
Empire: Total War - 3,491,439
Total War: Rome II - 3,350,407
Napoleon: Total War - 2,178,916
Total War: WARHAMMER - 2,085,605
Endless Space - 1,549,005
Endless Legend - 1,516,227
SEGA Genesis Classics - 1,514,485
Total War: Attila - 1,331,963
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - 1,232,451
Aliens vs Predator - 1,231,126
Dungeon of the Endless - 1,080,885
Total War: WARHAMMER II - 955,731
Valkyria Chronicles - 767,675
Endless Space 2 - 750,761
WARHAMMER 40k: Dawn of War III - 680,572
Sonic Generations - 647,871
Jet Set Radio - 533,153
Aliens: Colonial Marines - 456,851
Bayonetta - 424,901
Sonic Adventure 2 - 416,375
Hell Yeah: Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - 415,904
Motorsport Manager - 330,158
Binary Domain - 306,463
Viking: Battle for Asgard - 300,593
Renegade Ops - 297,463
Sonic Adventure DX - 291,205 (Also available outside of Steam)
The Typing of the Dead: Overkill - 244,364
Sonic CD - 241,011
Sonic Mania - 168,633
Crazy Taxi - 148,830
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I - 144,813
Vanquish - 143,289
Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse Remake - 123,527
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II - 83,454
Sonic Lost World - 72,200
NiGHTS into Dreams - 63,403
SEGA Bass Fishing - 58,500
Space Channel 5 Part 2 - 51,418
Puyo Puyo Tetris - 47,388
Sonic Forces - 34,165
Tembo the Badass Elephant - 30,643
Rez Infinite - 24,921 (Not published by SEGA on PC)
Superdimension Neptune vs SEGA Hard Girls - 24,628 (Not a SEGA game technically)
Nice numbers for Binary Domain and Jet Set Radio. Though one has to wonder if it counts the times those games were given for free (I got both for free so I'm guilty.)

Nice number for Bayonetta, Vanquish should be higher :(

Oct 28, 2017
Ryukishi07 stuff

Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi," 81,099
Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.2 Watanagashi," 28,301
Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.3 Tatarigoroshi," 14,157
Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.4 Himatsubushi," 12,326
Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch. 5 Meakashi," 10,764
Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.6 Tsumihoroboshi, 777

Umineko When They Cry - Question Arcs," 9,133
Umineko When They Cry - Answer Arcs," 1,822
Umineko: Golden Fantasia," 4,748

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Cold Steel 1 broke a million mark on PS4.
If you are going to make up numbers, at least make them a bit less ludicrous would you?

The last official numbers from Falcom (as of June) put the entire series (that is, ToCS Vita, ToCS PS3, ToCS2 Vita, ToCS2 PS3, ToCS1 PC, ToCS2 PC, ToCS3 PS4) together at 1.3 million sold. In total.

(Edit: I just saw that someone already corrected you -- the number was off by such a ridiculous degree that I replied immediately)

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Platinum Tier:

Gold Tier:

Silver Tier:
Frostpunk -679,334
RAFT - 810,826

I wonder if this suggests some factoring errors. Like Jurassic World Evolution sold 4x that. Can't be Platinum when Silver sold that much, unless the criteria are very capricious.

Frostpunk is cheaper and has no DLC, but FFXV is as expensive. The lines between tiers would have to be extremely narrow.

Now I understand why VALVe is not focused on Half Life 3 =(

They're focusing a lot of VR. That's not why they aren't doing HL3.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
That's not correct. 13.2M is just the original Skyrim numbers. Skyrim SE has another 4.4M. Fallout 4's popularity is nowhere close to Skyrim's and will never be.
SE was free for anyone with regular edition. I would think that majority of SE numbers come from owners of vanilla legendary.

Edit: In regards to Cold Steel, I am really puzzled by lack of popularity. Setting, JRPG genre, large cast of characters that should appeal to Steam audience, good story, etc... are all good. And the port itself is great. Why is this not selling? It is just weird to me.

Edit 2: PoE 2 sales are a shame as well. I actually enjoyed 2nd game quite a bit. That said main storyline had issues in the game but I doubt this is why it is not selling. Maybe people do hate pirates.

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
SE was free for anyone with regular edition. I would think that majority of SE numbers come from owners of vanilla legendary.
Sure, but keep in mind that most of old skyrim owners didn't even bother to "upgrade" to Skyrim SE because of poor mod support (compared to OldRim). Not to mention that these are the numbers of people that actually played enough of Skyrim SE to earn achievements, not just redownloaded it.

Also, Skyrim SE sells very well to this day (at this moment it's #10 in RPG top sellers on Steam; for comparison: TW3 is #13 and Fallout 4 is #16), so some of those millions are surely new sales.

Last edited:

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
That's not correct. 13.2M is just the original Skyrim numbers. Skyrim SE has another 4.4M. Fallout 4's popularity is nowhere close to Skyrim's and will never be.
Not accurate. Pretty sure Skyrim Special Edition was given for free for anyone who owned Skyrim and its DLC. I know I got it for free.

Besides, Fallout 4 released 4 years after Skyrim. That's 4 entire years of Skyrim repeatedly going on sale before Fallout 4 released. I don't expect Fallout 4 to reach Skyrim's numbers, but I've also no doubt Fallout 4 will eventually close the gap as it drops further in price.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Not really. Adventure game publishers/developers just need to budget accordingly. A game's profit is entirely based on its budget. Budget accordingly and you'll do fine.

True. Wadjet Eye seems to be doing fine financially but they're a very small outfit. However, it does put some context into why most of the big publishers abandoned the genre long ago. The audience just doesn't seem to be there to support bigger productions so resources are better spent in other genres.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Not accurate. Pretty sure Skyrim Special Edition was given for free for anyone who owned Skyrim and its DLC. I know I got it for free.

Besides, Fallout 4 released 4 years after Skyrim. That's 4 entire years of Skyrim repeatedly going on sale before Fallout 4 released. I don't expect Fallout 4 to reach Skyrim's numbers, but I've also no doubt Fallout 4 will eventually close the gap as it drops further in price.

See my post above. I'm sure some of the old Skyrim's owners got it for free, but a lot of them didn't bother because of the poor mod support compared to Oldrim. If you got it for free, it doesn't mean all of those 4.4 million of people did. Actually, right now Skyrim SE is #6 in Top selling RPGs, above Fallout 4, so it's still selling very well.
213qclv.jpg

Last edited: