• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I really thought they had just given up on it. Glad to hear they are still working on improving it.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's my fault but I was expecting literally anything more than a confirmation that they're working on it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I suppose they're just wanting to ensure Half Life 3 is completed before they launch the new UI. Then they can finally start work on Portal 3.

Icekilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what 400 people at Valve actually do? I know that support consists of 0 people, No PR department, Dota is probably being worked by 1 people considering updates are slow, CS GO is probably also small team. Steam team is also probably tiny team. Must be nice working at Valve doing nothing for large periods of time.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they add an option to mute specific curators.

There are also loads of things they could do to surface hidden gems, or leverage data from social connections for curation.

I don't think an algorithm-only approach is the correct one, but even just limiting themselves to not doing manual editorial curation, there's loads more they could be doing.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh-huh, just like Half Life 3 amirite Valve?

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what 400 people at Valve actually do? I know that support consists of 0 people, No PR department, Dota is probably being worked by 1 people considering updates are slow, CS GO is probably also small team. Steam team is also probably tiny team. Must be nice working at Valve doing nothing for large periods of time.
They are making 3 VR games and a card game

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

The Hat Design department is 95% of their workforce.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Valve has been doing great things for VR lately, both software and hardware (they've developped new lenses for VR headsets for example)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
Much needed Steam can be such a clusterf***.

The Library is a mess, its obligatory VR tab, even though I don't have a VR system, is extremely annoying. The 50 notifications while I'm trying to play are unacceptable, and on Big Picture they occupy 1/8 of the screen.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Oh the other thing that I didn't mention because it's kind of obvious, they should do a UI that doesn't make everything tiny on a 4k screen in desktop mode.

OP
OP
GameZone

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway

I get where you are going. Microsoft have already made three completely different UIs for XBO this generation. Valve haven't done much.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Oh the other thing that I didn't mention because it's kind of obvious, they should do a UI that doesn't make everything tiny on a 4k screen in desktop mode.

I have good news:

henryg said:

But these leaked screenshots are almost a year old.

I realise they're old and likely don't reflect the design Valve settled on, hence "note that these are relatively ancient mock-ups". ;)

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they update Steam's UI just over a year ago?

I mean, it sucked, but I'm surprised to see another one so soon?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

They do updates for DOTA2, CSGO, TF2 (I know the TF2 team is around 16 people, DOTA2 and CSGO probably have larger teams. I would guess no more than 100 people total work on those 3 games), the Steam store/the new UI, Steam OS, Steam Hardware like the controller and VR stuff, Source 2, the upcoming Artifact card game, 3 full VR games (currently in development), Support (they mostly have outsourced all support to third party companies but there are still some employees that handle more advanced issues) and running a worldwide content server and game server network.
They actually do a lot for a company of around 350 people. They make so much money and don't have public shareholders so they aren't under the time pressures that many other game companies are to get content out as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
They do updates for DOTA2, CSGO, TF2 (I know the TF2 team is around 16 people, DOTA2 and CSGO probably have larger teams. I would guess no more than 100 people total work on those 3 games)
I don't know about CSGO, but the idea that TF2 ( even thought I don't follow that one much anymore ) and Dota 2 actually have around 20 dedicated people to them seems crazy to me.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about CSGO, but the idea that TF2 ( even thought I don't follow that one much anymore ) and Dota 2 actually have around 20 dedicated people to them seems crazy to me.

It's from this video interview with Dave Riller, who's one of the head TF2 programmers. The TF2 team has around 16 people but only 5-6 are programmers.
From what I understand though team sizes at Valve are pretty fluid. There was a Valve made TF2 map that shipped in 2015 that we latter learned (via a Youtuber visiting Valve) that the mapper had been working on in 2007 around the game's launch, but he left to go work on something else. In 2015 he rolled his desk back into the TF2 dev team area because he decided it was time to finish up the map.

Deleted member 2945

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
mjl.gif

Valve are so trash

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they aren't crowdsourcing the work, that seems to be the modus operandi for Valve's exploitative business model

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
It's so long overdue. It's crazy that the premier platform for PC games still feels like a big clunky web wrapper with terrible design. And it's pretty embarassing that CD Projekt can put out a PC game platform software that in its first version already was more responsive, felt more like a native app, and had much cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing design.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Ugh... the less i know about Valve the better honestly, news like this only makes me more upset at them and their ability to deliver anything issues.
They could today announce a redesigned download button and ship that in 2 and a half years.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Have they added native high DPI support yet? Even most midrange laptops are starting to ship with 4k screens... Mine does and it only has a 940X and last I checked, I was still relying on 3rd party themes to have high DPI support.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
AFAIK the tf2 team has like ten people working on it

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
It's from this video interview with Dave Riller, who's one of the head TF2 programmers. The TF2 team has around 16 people but only 5-6 are programmers.
From what I understand though team sizes at Valve are pretty fluid. There was a Valve made TF2 map that shipped in 2015 that we latter learned (via a Youtuber visiting Valve) that the mapper had been working on in 2007 around the game's launch, but he left to go work on something else. In 2015 he rolled his desk back into the TF2 dev team area because he decided it was time to finish up the map.
I would really like to see the "team" size graph over the month & years. I have no doubt that in dota 2 case we would see some pretty big variation, they must have some kind of dota Bat-signal to call for help when they realize they will get their patch late, don't have their compendium content ready in time, and realize they will need to let someone from the community make a seasonal event for them...

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I can see why it's taking so long, they want to make Steam into a complete multimedia platform on top of games, so the scope will increase like never before. I just wish they would try to give people some information every once in a while. I had already forgotten about the leaked screenshots, that's a lot of new stuff.

Deleted member 2945

Oct 25, 2017
They do updates for DOTA2, CSGO, TF2 (I know the TF2 team is around 16 people, DOTA2 and CSGO probably have larger teams. I would guess no more than 100 people total work on those 3 games), the Steam store/the new UI, Steam OS, Steam Hardware like the controller and VR stuff, Source 2, the upcoming Artifact card game, 3 full VR games (currently in development), Support (they mostly have outsourced all support to third party companies but there are still some employees that handle more advanced issues) and running a worldwide content server and game server network.
They actually do a lot for a company of around 350 people. They make so much money and don't have public shareholders so they aren't under the time pressures that many other game companies are to get content out as quickly as possible.

What have they done recently with the pad/hardware and Steam OS?