• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat X already did this on Steam, but somewhat hacked, they just divided the full game into free "DLCs", and you downloaded the base and let the rest download in the meantime.

Similar to what PS4/5 and Xbox does.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
But it's cool that they're adding this to the client, even better if the devs don't really need to do anything!

EDIT: dumb double post, sorry!

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An except from the patent (from gamingonlinux article)
Client machines running game executables of a video game(s) may utilize a file system proxy component that is configured to track read operations made by the game executable during a game session, to generate access data based on the tracked read operations, and to report the access data to a remote system. This telemetry approach allows the remote system to collect access data reported by multiple client machines, to catalogue the access data according to client system configuration, and to analyze the access data to generate data that is usable by client machines to implement various game-related features including, without limitation, "instant play" of video games, discarding of unused blocks of game data to free up local memory resources, and/or local prefetching of game data for reducing latency during gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's really cool. I love Valve's approach of making more or less feature-agnostic implementations like these.

Aug 31, 2019
Software patents are bad, always. Let's hope it gets rejected.

(this doesn't mean it's not a cool thing for Valve to implement in Steam: the idea that they should then block anyone else doing anything remotely similar is the gross bit.)

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Bringing my post here from the PC Gaming thread:

This is wicked! Although I don't like starting games before they finish downloading but its great to have

Maybe this will solve the absurd "unpacking" shit

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Microsoft talk about having something similar on the new Xbox? I remember them saying they used the magic of "machine learning" and whatnot. I don't have an Xbox though. Was it implemented, does it work?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
That pre-fetching stuff sounds kinda like loading more game data into RAM for quicker access? I'm no expert on that though.

Hopefully nothing involved in the patent prevents anyone else from doing similar ideas.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Mortal Kombat X already did this on Steam, but somewhat hacked, they just divided the full game into free "DLCs", and you downloaded the base and let the rest download in the meantime.

Similar to what PS4/5 and Xbox does.

This was a horrible implementation and solution on Steam, as it didn't work as expected, and was bad enough that they had to change to the more simple download method shortly after. There's a reason most games on Steam haven't used that kind of cobbled together solution

The patent is for something quite different

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This was a horrible implementation and solution on Steam, as it didn't work as expected, and was bad enough that they had to change to the more simple download method shortly after. There's a reason most games on Steam haven't used that kind of cobbled together solution

The patent is for something quite different
Obviously

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
"Other examples include freeing up space by removing unused data, and prefetching data to decrease latency when loading.

This feature does not require game developers to change anything."

This one sounds more impressive to me

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I love that valve is investing in both hardware and software innovations like this.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
This is Profile Guided optimisation via a virtual filesystem. It'll be great for default loading but fall of a cliff for edge cases

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if there was an option to just download assets of a specific quality. Someone with a weak PC for example, would have no need for high or ultra quality assets so an option to not download them would save on time and space. Especially good for the Steam Deck, where you could have "Deck recommended" assets chosen by the devs. Though this is not what the patent is about (and I believe it would require work from the devs).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but somebody in the gamingonlinux comments made a good point about this being a possible protection against being sued in the future. It makes sense as to what happened with the Steam controller.
Or the fact that someone tried to patent the idea of Steam Chat and tried to sue people over it. Most software patent are stupid, but the problem is you either patent them, or end up having to fight vs patent trolls over how generic some implementations are.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It would be cool if there was an option to just download assets of a specific quality. Someone with a weak PC for example, would have no need for high or ultra quality assets so an option to not download them would save on time and space. Especially good for the Steam Deck, where you could have "Deck recommended" assets chosen by the devs. Though this is not what the patent is about (and I believe it would require work from the devs).

This is what I want. Games like Doom Eternal would really only need the High assets at the most on Steam Deck, and given that I've heard the Ultra and Nightmare assets make up over half the install size... well, that's a lot of space being taken up by nothing useful.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
"Other examples include freeing up space by removing unused data, and prefetching data to decrease latency when loading.

Someone mentioned potentially using telemetry to collect data on when specific game data is needed based on user play throughs of the game, kinda like pre-cached shaders. So I guess theoretically it would be able to download the game in segments, so in the example of a game divided into neat levels like Ninja Gaiden, it could download the 1st level while the game is loading up, then take care of the rest while you're playing. Although maybe they would have even more fine-tune control so that it can start playing from even smaller chunks of data.

Cool tech! Not a fan of having it patented tho.

It's not ideal, although it could be a "defensive" patent. After all the work on Steam controller, they got sued by SCUF and were dealing with that for over 5 years, so they may be trying to help make sure that they can do what they want without getting sued by someone else.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
This is already possible though - Xbox certainly does it.

Steam did this too with Half-Life 2 (with GCF, removed with SteamPipe update in 2013 or so). But it's not about doing it, but how it's done.
Much easier to get devs to support if they don't have to do anything.

Yeah, but somebody in the gamingonlinux comments made a good point about this being a possible protection against being sued in the future. It makes sense as to what happened with the Steam controller.

Steam Controller patent is just one of 21 patent suits against Valve in recent years.
Better patent everything so you can't be so easily sued.

Some are really bizarre like
oXhrk0E.png

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This is Profile Guided optimisation via a virtual filesystem. It'll be great for default loading but fall of a cliff for edge cases
That, and as I suspected when this feature was mentioned elsewhere, since it needs to learn, this is of no use to day one buyers.

I wonder how it'll work for users with slow internet. Will it have to pause or stutter the game to load on demand? Say e.g. you have a very fast player speeding through the levels who also happens to have slow download speeds.

If there's going to be a chance of stuttering I think I'd just choose to wait for 100% downloaded.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
This has been a thing for most of Blizzard games for the last 10 years I think

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
But it's not about doing it, but how it's done.
Much easier to get devs to support if they don't have to do anything.
Which is what Microsoft did. They even managed to get it working with BC 360 games.

I remember trying it out with a lateish game Viva Pinata save to try and trip it up and it handled it just fine. I think the game froze for a bit while it downloaded some more? But I remember being impressed that it worked at all.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Main point of this patent is not that Valve did it, main point is how they did it. Big thing is that devs don't need to do anything if they don't want to and everything is handled by Steam. That means no need for special levels or modes that need to be downloaded first so they can be played while rest is downloading. And then we have other applications named in the patent.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Software patents are bad, always. Let's hope it gets rejected.

(this doesn't mean it's not a cool thing for Valve to implement in Steam: the idea that they should then block anyone else doing anything remotely similar is the gross bit.)

Tech giants and big developers usually use software patents just to keep patent trolls and opportunistic lawyers from trying to extort money from them. For example Sega has patented the game mechanic where you are driving a car and an arrow points at where you need to go, but you don't see Sega suing other developers who implement that in their games.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017

Can the license this to Apple? I'd love to get half of my iPhone memory back

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
My first exposure to a "similar" technology was Guild Wars from 2005. You downloaded the base and when you loaded to another zone it will download all the assets, then it would continue to download in the background. Blew my mind and wished all games could do that. Valve <3

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
This is basically (or exactly) what Microsoft said they would do for this generation (not sure how widely it's used pew, but IIRC there are already some examples of games that you can start early without devs doing anything). The goal was to use machine learning to figure out what parts of the game were needed and prioritize that. Then it would show up with a Ready to Start marker in the queue.

I'm sure valve is doing more than that, that I'm not picking up. Otherwise, I'm not sure I like this type of thing being patented...

Feb 16, 2018
there was a digital distribution store that tried to do this about a decade ago. maybe earlier than that. i can't remember the name. i'm not sure if that was the same implementation or how successful it was

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Microsoft talk about having something similar on the new Xbox? I remember them saying they used the magic of "machine learning" and whatnot. I don't have an Xbox though. Was it implemented, does it work?

Yeah, sounds similar to Xbox fast start.

Same idea, devs supposedly don't need to do anything. However it was only rolled out to select games on Xbox which suggests there was some kind of problem with the implementation

It sounds like such a cool idea. I hope Valve gets it working and I'd like to see it rolled out to all Xbox games at some point.

Aug 31, 2019
Tech giants and big developers usually use software patents just to keep patent trolls and opportunistic lawyers from trying to extort money from them. For example Sega has patented the game mechanic where you are driving a car and an arrow points at where you need to go, but you don't see Sega suing other developers who implement that in their games.

Uh huh.

Literally the first result for searching DDG for "sega patent arrow driving catr" (I didn't even spell car right, I'm an animal): https://patentarcade.com/2010/07/case-analysis-sega-v-fox.html

In December of 2003, Sega brought a lawsuit against video game publishers Fox Interactive (now part of Vivendi Universal) and Electronic Arts and developer Radical Entertainment for allegedly using technology from Sega's U.S. Patent No. 6,200,138 ("the '138 patent') in their video game The Simpsons: Road Rage.

The '138 patent, which was issued in 2001, claims a "game display method, moving direction indicating method, game apparatus and drive simulating apparatus." Below are a couple representative claims:

What you're describing (the "warchest" / "MAD" mentality) happens as well, but not to the exclusion of this kind of scummy bullshit. Large companies also routinely use their warchest (as the patent trolls do) to punch down to smaller orgs who cannot handle the lawyer fees to strike back.

Software patents are shit, end of story. They have no place existing in the first place.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Uh huh.

Literally the first result for searching DDG for "sega patent arrow driving catr" (I didn't even spell car right, I'm an animal): https://patentarcade.com/2010/07/case-analysis-sega-v-fox.html

What you're describing (the "warchest" / "MAD" mentality) happens as well, but not to the exclusion of this kind of scummy bullshit. Large companies also routinely use their warchest (as the patent trolls do) to punch down to smaller orgs who cannot handle the lawyer fees to strike back.

Software patents are shit, end of story. They have no place existing in the first place.

Oh, I stand very corrected.