• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Now it's all beginning to make more sense, seems like Valve is brewing a better solution than Steam Spy.
Ewert says developers need "something better than Steam Spy." He says "we are very much working on new tools and new ways of getting data out of Steam, and we hope that data can be more accurate and more useful than what Steam Spy previously offered you."

the steam spy creator is excited to see what it will be.

more here: https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-spy-alternative

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, don't think it'll be the same as Steam Spy. Doubt publishers would be happy with an officially backed sales numbers of every game.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
The game has received updates for almost 20 years.

VOCcHAv.png

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game has received updates for almost 20 years.

VOCcHAv.png
In fairness, they stopped updating Half-Life 2 years ago, and that's why Half-Life 2 is a shockingly broken mess of a videogame, on account of them spending years breaking it with Source updates. Fortunately fans stepped up where Valve failed to care.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not publicly available, then it's not better in any shape or form.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Not that Valve can't do it, but many devs/pubs won't let Valve do it.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
What has Valve ever abandoned?

In terms of Steam features, Steam family sharing seems like it was abandoned pretty quickly to me. Last time I checked, it still had the same serious issues with how it handles DLC sharing that it had at launch.

For example, if you buy a game that was previously shared with DLC, you lose access to the DLC. In addition, free DLC can't be shared at all, but also can't be "bought" without first owning the game itself. This basically means that family shared games can't ever ger free DLC.

And that's ignoring how overly restrictive the entire system is comparing to things it's trying to emulate (console games, basically).

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
I really enjoyed looking up games or multiple games of specific genres in Steam Spy from time to time. The data was also used in podcasts when discussing the current, past and future performance of certain games and/or genres, which made those podcasts more interesting.
So I really hope that whatever Valve makes, it makes it accessible to the public (with additional analytic features for industry professionals/steam vendors). I'm sure shareholders of gaming companies would love a comprehensive, accurate and independent of publisher scrutiny source of data about this stuff as well.

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
Steam OS, steam Maschine, every sp game. They have alot of ideas but cant finish shit.
They didn't abandoned SteamOS, they are even hiring for it. They are contributing to many open source components of Linux.

https://www.valvesoftware.com/es/jobs?job_id=36

Therefore, they didn't abandoned Steam Machines because SteamOS is their only involvement in them.

And how did they abandoned their single player games? They keep them updated and compatible with newest operating systems, they even ported all of them to Linux.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I can see they making this an opt-in feature for devs, where they can choose to have those numbers be publicly available if they so desire.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the first one to be annoyed by the constant Valve bashing, but to go the extreme opposite and claim they never abandoned anything is just as dumb.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Even if this new thing is developer-only, the barrier for being a Steam developer is pretty low. I'm sure lots of people will pay the $100 fee to gain access to that data.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like how Microsoft abandoned kinect ?

Sony abandoned ps move ?

Nintendo abandoning wii u like drop of hat ?

People love to find reasons to shit on valve at any opportunity in every thread that comes to general about them.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of this being an in house thing, and I don't trust Valve to make the data public. Hope I'm wrong.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt that Valve is just going to handle really insightful and relevant data for free to anyone. Maybe they will create some kind of (paid) service so publishers can buy data about their game, about a specific category, about their competition etc.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I really doubt that Valve is just going to handle really insightful and relevant data for free to anyone. Maybe they will create some kind of (paid) service so publishers can buy data about their game, about a specific category, about their competition etc.
The publishers should already see data about their game no?