• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck right off with that. What part of DOZENS vs like 300 million users do you not get? There's probbly dozens of asshats on reset era that would say something equally terrible either to troll or to be assholes if they knew they weren't going to get banned.

That's not to say this isn't a problem with gaming communities all over, but that's the point. This is a problem on PSN, Xbox live, Steam.... basically the internet is the issue.
are you saying that moderation works to keep it from happening? hmmmm, interesting.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My feelings towards Steam used to be rather neutral. But, I think I was always naive in that regard. Maybe these kinds of people always existed there. When Hatred released, it blew my mind that there were actually prople, a vocal amount of them on Steam wanting that game on the store. Trying to justify it being there, saying its censorship if its not. I started to realize the gaming community is generally sick af and its even more toxic than we think.

Now. Paying tribute to a real life murderer. All these guys deserve to burn in hell with that killer. What a sick world we live in, the incel Alt-Right and their incel cheerleaders really make the world a shithole in the modern age.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
There is no lecture. It was an honest question. For me it would be similar to a thread about a cop in the United States that shot and killed a minority and someone coming in and saying #notallcops. In the same way, of course not all Steam users are white supremacist shitheads and not all police officers are murdering psychopaths, but is the distinction worth pointing out?

The issue for me and many people is that Valve has done essentially nothing when it comes to deplatforming these types of people for years and years. They have left many of these discussion boards up to the individual developers themselves, many of whom simply don't have the resources to moderate them.

So the idea that you are angry that someone is calling all of Steam community a white supremacist cesspool just makes me think it's more important for you to be right about the degrees and less about how prevalent this problem is. If you think that's a lecture or that I'm insinuating something more about you than that, that is not my intention.

Yes it is. Because as a muslim you're kinda pissing me off right now to associate me with these shooters apologists for the sole reason I play on a platform where piece of shits also happens to play.
You're insulting me right now.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

There were a large number of posters here banned in the pewdiepie thread related to this -- in the same relative ballpark of Resetera users as 100s of Steam profiles are of Steam users, actually.

So either the Resetera community is also a "cesspool", or perhaps characterizing an entire group based on the behaviour of <0.1% is a bad idea.

100% agreed.

Like why in 2019 is it fucking okay to have PC Master Race memes? It's just fucking normalizing Nazis. Fuck that shit. That shit needs to be excised from any reasonable person's vernacular.

It wasn't fucking ok back when Yahtzee created the term as a means of mocking some PC gamers. Do you know how and why the meme started?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I'm actually surprised that's "only" +100 profiles. I expected that deranged sicko would easily gather thousands of followers, especially when Steam hosts millions of people/profiles. Good thing Valve acted quickly.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Good, Valve needs to get tough on this shit, i understand they have some sort of libertarian point of view, but this shit is evil & anyone who posted it needs to be banned, they also need some serious help too, reporting them to the FBI would be a good idea.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Google/YouTube have hardly done anything, Facebook doesn't seem to care much, and as a daily active Twitter user, LOL. I also don't see Valve doing anything either.
In that same article they said Valve has been banning those groups for a long time (since at least 2017). You can also see that they have been moderating the forums more heavily since 2017, with them giving stats of what they have done.

Valve needing to do more =/= Valve not doing anything.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they were reported to the FBI/Interpol or whoever, and Valve identified their real accounts through the IP and nuked the accounts so they can't play their games and can no longer access Steam. Fucking sick bastards.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In that same article they said Valve has been banning those groups for a long time (since at least 2017). You can also see that they have been moderating the forums more heavily since 2017, with them giving stats of what they have done.

Valve needing to do more =/= Valve not doing anything.
Yep. I can tell you they've been a lot more active on removing these since the beginning of 2018. I've got several dozens of them banned after reporting them. Valve now also assigns their own employees to moderate reported content on all forums.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I can tell you they've been a lot more active on removing these since the beginning of 2018. I've got several dozens of them banned after reporting them. Valve now also assigns their own employees to moderate reported content on all forums.
Yeah, I have also used the flag system in tons of group that have been banned.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This is going beyond toxicity and has reached sympathizing with acts of terrorism. I'd even go as far to say the people behind these accounts are potential terrorists. They should be reported to the authorities ASAP.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
4d4.png

Joking aside, these dumbasses need to have their accounts banned as well.
Yep. And dumb question, if a steam account is banned, all the games it owns are taken too right? Hopefully.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
People were perfectly capable of being racist monsters before the internet or videogames were around.
A certain percentage of humans at large are assholes, so every community is also always going to have some assholes in it.

Yep. And dumb question, if a steam account is banned, all the games it owns are taken too right? Hopefully.

I think so. That said I assume with this kind of stuff it's mostly going to be a bunch of burner accounts from shitlords who just wanted the attention and had no intention of actually making or selling anything. I kinda figured having some sort of minimal fee to submit anything would curtail most of this, but I guess it's easy to underestimate how dedicated people can be to being pricks.

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
This isn't a reflection of the steam community as a whole, every single online service and website has disgusting people like this, the main thing is that it is moderated correctly.

Valve should always strive to do better and I still don't think their moderation is anywhere near good enough but this is a step in the right direction.

Painting entire communities as toxic (unless evidence suggests that is the case) is not the right way to approach it (I am not suggesting anybody here is painting the entire steam community as toxic by the way, just want to clarify that.)

Steam has 90 million monthly active users, how many of those do you think share sentiments like this?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Valve hand over their IP addresses to the US and NZ governments and just ban their IPs?
I'm sure Russians are quaking in their tracksuits at the thought of being reported to the FBI. Or any other nationality, really.

Generally they just ban you from further purchases IIRC.