• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some pretty interesting stuff at the article. Here's the interview they had with Robin Walker

How true to life is this trailer? We spotted Jane's tweet, but want to confirm: is this a representation of what it's like to play the game, or actual gameplay in motion?

Robin Walker: All the scenes in the trailer were recorded from the game itself, and then we've done some post processing, mostly focused on smoothing out the player's head movement.

Are there any multiplayer modes? Deathmatch?

We're not planning on supporting any multiplayer modes at this point.

Is this as linear as traditional Half-Lifegames have been, or are there open sections of the game?

This is a traditional Half-Life experience, so it's fundamentally a one-way journey. Half-Life has always been about experiencing a hand-crafted, meticulously designed path, where every space is the result of a team of people thinking about what's in it and why it's interesting. Some of those spaces afford multiple ways to navigate through them, but you're always moving forward overall.

Will you need to manually manipulate various parts of guns (and other objects) to use them? Is there a more automated mode for guns?

Half-Life: Alyx's core combat skill is about using your hands to interact with your weapons efficiently. Reloading is the first of the weapon interactions that you'll learn. Alyx's pistol has a multi-step process to reload it, and we see almost all players starting out fairly clunky, doing each step in isolation, but after a bit of practice they start to blend it together. Soon it becomes one single, smooth process, after which we often see them start to put a bit of flair into their movement. But eventually they find themselves having to do it while a zombie is right in front of them, and it all goes to hell. Some players have cited the moment where they fumbled and dropped their magazine at the foot of the attacking zombie as the highlight of their playtest.

So, yes, there's a fair amount of manual manipulation of weapons, some related to reloading and others related to special functionality. In some cases, the same actions can be performed by buttons on the controller. The rules for this vary between the weapons, because we wanted each weapon to feel like a new and interesting object to interact with, and eventually master. We are aiming to have a wide set of accessibility options for players with limited motor capabilities, so there will be automation options.

What is the recommended playspace for room-scale with Alyx?

We've been testing many different sized spaces throughout the project, so as a result, we haven't built with any specific playspace size in mind. We also fully support standing and seated modes, whether you're using room-scale or standing room only.

Have you tested full consecutive playthroughs of the campaign with lots of people? How much have you found players able to handle a VR story game considering many people can't handle long stretches in VR?

Early on in the project, we looked at SteamVR's data to see how long players were spending in sessions, and tried to fit Half-Life: Alyx's experience to it, mostly from a pacing perspective. But once we had the first hour or two of the game built, and started playtesting it, we found that literally every player would spend longer in the session than we expected. It was very common for them to end their session, and their first comment would be "Wow, that was the longest I've ever been in VR!". As the game grew longer and longer, and our Index hardware prototypes improved, we saw players increase their session lengths even further. Today, we generally see playtesters go for 2-3 hours before taking a bathroom break. Even subtle improvements seemed to have significant effects, like the way the Index controllers allowed players to open and relax their hands without dropping the controller.

Is it designed to be played in small chunks? Can you save whenever you want and pick it back up? Checkpoints? Something else?

We really like to allow players to experience games in the ways that work best for them, even if the designer in us wishes to have tighter control. So yes, you can save and restore anywhere you like, the same way you could in previous Half-Life games.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
"Play for hours at a time" yeah, not if my motion sickness has anything to say about it.

The game looks really promising, however.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"One-way journey." Kinda sounds like a threat.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
So very excited to play this, and glad they making it possible to play seated!!

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The Half Life formula is amazing and I'm very happy they are keeping it. The game looks like a masterpiece in the making.

Sadly I can't afford it but I hope to play it eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the cool things about it being a VR game is they can deliver a totally classic linear shoot stuff and solve puzzles Half-Life and still have it feel innovative. Super exciting.

Dec 23, 2017
"a one-way journey. "

wd1bxIKCFDKbowYn8xW4VL2OP4Xqe9DK.jpg

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to see what new info/video/screens we see tomorrow. I don't think I've ever been so hyped for a game since maybe HL2. Being completely immersed in City 17 is going to be wild.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
One of the cool things about it being a VR game is they can deliver a totally classic linear shoot stuff and solve puzzles Half-Life and still have it feel innovative. Super exciting.

The more important thing is that none of that has been done well before in VR as a coherent product. LOTS of devs have been making games with that in mind, and it still is merely okay or filled with compromises or fundamentally made with poor decisions.

With Valve leading the industry with VR and being engaged in it for so long, they have a higher likelihood of being successful - but wheeling out HL is ballsy, illustrating their full confidence in it.

That is exciting.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see myself playing VR for more than an hour at time

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to save anywhere will be nice. Having to repeat things in games can already be annoying depending on why you're having to do it, but repeating things in VR is way worse.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I wonder how much the movement design has changed since teleportation was the key way for a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
The stuff about manually reloading and accidentally dropping magazines has me hyped. Also, rolling grenades will finally feel right!