• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Side-effect of the crypto-crash freeing up chip manufacturing, or would that be a little too early for the effects to be felt this way yet?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, dumb question, but is the implication that that they weren't expecting this and things will go faster than previous projections?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

OMG!

88D88C7C-FE02-450A-A02E-F96180A61EAC.jpeg

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Is there any indication the Valve even wants to put them in retail? Thats not their usual business model. D2C has better margins and they already have a strong captive audience to push it on.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
ah nice i'd love to get my q3 reservation soon. many of my recent purchases have been with steam deck in mind

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
Side-effect of the crypto-crash freeing up chip manufacturing, or would that be a little too early for the effects to be felt this way yet?

IIRC AMD is or has moved to TSMC 6nm with their new RDNA 2 GPUs and Zen 4 which releases later this year is TSMC 5nm (I think RDNA 3 is 5nm as well), which means that more capacity for TSMC 7nm has been made available somewhat. There's also a rumor which suggests that Sony will move the PS5 chip production to 6nm very soon.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news for anyone still waiting. I just got my Deck two weeks ago and I legit love it more than even I thought I would. It's an incredible experience - the best gaming device I've used maybe ever.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Is there any indication the Valve even wants to put them in retail? Thats not their usual business model.
I would guess this is not something that would happen any time soon. Also selling it direct probably makes it possible to sell them at this low price (no distributors and stores in the middle taking their cut). What they really need to do is offer it for sale in more countries.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any indication the Valve even wants to put them in retail? Thats not their usual business model. D2C has better margins and they already have a strong captive audience to push it on.
Direct to consumers benefits them most in the long run. I can see them maybe partnering with one or few retailers at some point, but also, probably not.

Mar 11, 2020
I thought at the price these were going for reselling was insane and i was so tempted to sell mine. Then i got PS2 running on it and other emulators and PS remote play running on it to lay down and couch play some PS4 RPGs and i fucking love my Deck so much.

Also Vampire Survivors on it is so fucking dope.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Greatest video game handheld of all time can now be experienced by more people

Excited to see more people get their hands on this amazing device

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Highly unlikely. More than anything, I believe that they got AMD to produce more of the Van Gogh SoC that powers the Deck. I believe since only the Steam Deck uses this chip, initial wafer allocation on AMD's part was small. From what I understand, it was meant for something else that never panned out and then Valve swooped in and secured it for their device. As such, production was very likely quite low. It is possible that Valve convinced AMD to allocate more of its TSMC N7 wafers to it by making a large order, enough for them to start catching up on current pre-orders on file and likely more after that.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Why not both then? Why not reach people who aren't already Steam users? Plus there are likely millions of Steam users like myself who can never purchase a Deck or an Index directly from Steam because Valve doesn't make them available in our country. I'm fortunate enough to own a Steam Controller because they were (briefly?) being sold on Amazon.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, dumb question, but is the implication that that they weren't expecting this and things will go faster than previous projections?
They were always predicting production to ram up, but I'm not sure "doubling shipments per week from next week" was the expected shape of the slope. Then again, they did decide how many orders they would ship in the past three months back in the end of March, so they could have built up a stockpile of units.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No, they always said production would ramp up.

I guess I'm wondering how those third party projection sites work. They are currently estimating mine is the first week or so of September. But, if they are going off of user provided data based on original order time and actual availability, that could start moving up in the coming weeks?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Happy for those who are waiting! It's a killer device - I love mine a lot more than I ever thought I would. Having basically a portable PS4 with a better CPU is crazy.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I spent the money I had aside for it so I need to wait for my July payday (the 15th) so fingers crossed I'm not in the first two weeks haha

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I guess I'm wondering how those third party projection sites work. They are currently estimating mine is the first week or so of September. But, if they are going off of user provided data based on original order time and actual availability, that could start moving up in the coming weeks?
It will likely take weeks before the calculators are somewhat accurate again. You're definitely not in September anymore if you were estimated 1st week. But I wouldn't say it could be cut straight in half, because there are likely a greater volume of orders which will offset some of that.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
good news. i love my deck so much, its one of my favorite ways to play now. i'm even streaming games from my PC and PS5 too it, and using it as a Game Pass and xCloud machine. excited for more people to experience it

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome!!! Hopefully I'll get mine in the next week or two. All the calculators seemed to put me early/mid July, before this news of double shipments.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
As a console person, I'd definitely like a steam deck as a higher end portable/access point to pc gaming if I didn't have to stress too much about getting it. I'd love to buy this one or a mark 2 sold at retail, or at least sold normally online.

May 29, 2018
Didn't know how much I would want a handheld pc until people started getting theirs so I didn't put my order in until about a month and a half ago. It's looking to be an amazing device. Hopefully I get mine in October/November so I can play through P5R. Half of me wants to bite the bullet that is $1200 for a 512 on eBay

Last edited:

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
It will likely take weeks before the calculators are somewhat accurate again. You're definitely not in September anymore if you were estimated 1st week. But I wouldn't say it could be cut straight in half, because there are likely a greater volume of orders which will offset some of that.
Based on the calculatirs in an early September release as well. I'm hoping that this gets halved so I can get my deck before I go on vacation.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
i was in "after q3" marked as February (i only ordered this jan). Maybe I will see mine this year