• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Starting on January 1 2019, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. This means that after that date the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 7 and above.

For the remainder of 2018 Steam will continue to run and to launch games on Windows XP and Windows Vista, but other functionality in Steam will be somewhat limited. For example, new features such as the new Steam Chat will not be available. We encourage all users on these operating systems to upgrade to newer versions of Windows in order to have ongoing access to the latest features of Steam, and to ensure future access to all games and other Steam content.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-AFCM-4577

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
qmmlzM9.jpg

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Can they not just give people a legacy client? Even if it has to be basic and strip certain features.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's understandable that valve doesn't want to support steam on such old OSes anymore, but at the same time, it sucks that - from the way they phrase it - this means you also won't be able to access any of the games you own that would run on those OSes either.

i feel like they should at least offer a stripped down client to download and install playable games on those platforms, even if they don't support doing anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Bothered since Steam was really nice for trying old games on... well, decade old or more computers. I always could just get UT or CSS running to see what I was working on fast, but really not the end of the world.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely they could push a barebones version that can run the games. I'm not knowledgeable on that though so I dunno. People should at least be able to run their games on the old OS if they want. Oh well.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't people be able to skirt this by just not updating Steam past whatever update they're on? If so, I'm not seeing this as a big deal.

Just don't update Steam and continue to buy games.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Windows 7 was a good OS.

...and pretty easy to hack. So there are no excuses.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's reasonable to want Valve to give a venue for Windows XP users to continue to access their Windows XP compatible games, even if it's just some easy way to package them up for offline storage (IIRC the existing old "backup" feature wouldn't solve this issue).

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Wow. Can they not just give people a legacy client? Even if it has to be basic and strip certain features.

They'd then need to support two clients. Any change they make, or feature they add they'd then need to check things in two clients instead of just the single Steam client. Significantly increases the amount of work and potentially limits what they can do if they are unable to do something with Win XP but still need to support it for something that 0.22% of their population (and shrinking) uses.

Both of those OS' are past the official end of their life regardless and don't even receive security updates anymore. Nothing is stopping you from using it of course, but it's very ill advised to use it while connected to the internet since any exploit found will never be fixed, unless something ridiculously catastrophic happens like WannaCry did last year and MS decides to do an emergency update which was affecting a ton of businesses and people who decided to keep using WinXP past its end of life.

Win7 support will keep on for a number of years though. My guess is that they'll cut support for Win7 and Win8.1 at the same time similar to this. Win7 is EOL in Jan 2020, and Win 8.1 in Jan 2023. My guess is that by 2025 Steam will only be supporting Win10 and later.

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
Upgrade your damn operating systems and PCs people. Even if that means Linux. XP hasn't been sold in like 9 years now. It's dead. It's a massive security vulnerability and it's slower than current operating systems.

Kenpachii

Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Why would they if your games still work? New features like Steam Chat won't work though. You're eventually going to be left behind on features. It amazes me how old some of the Android systems people use too.

Oh my understanding was they gonna can those games so they are no longer playable which they where before for those people. Then that's another story. If they decided to just bail out on it then that's super shitty and they should be hit hard for it.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Why would they if your games still work? New features like Steam Chat won't work though. You're eventually going to be left behind on features. It amazes me how old some of the Android systems people use too.

I think you misunderstood the OP, or I did, because it seems pretty clear your games won't work after Jan 1 next year (outside of DRM free games you already downloaded) because the client won't at all.

It's just 2018 where you'll be missing new features.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you misunderstood the OP, or I did, because it seems pretty clear your games won't work after Jan 1 next year (outside of DRM free games you already downloaded) because the client won't at all.

It's just 2018 where you'll be missing new features.

You could be right.

We encourage all users on these operating systems to upgrade to newer versions of Windows in order to have ongoing access to the latest features of Steam, and to ensure future access to all games and other Steam content.

I didn't read the last part. That sucks then but how would they do that if games work now? Couldn't you just sign out of Steam and still use them?

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
0.22% of the active Steam username is a lot of people.

Because they sells lots of games that support it?

I think it's far beyond the reasonable point in time to drop client support for Windows XP. It'll be almost 5 years since Microsoft's own EOL date by the time Steam drops support. I don't think it is at all reasonable to expect Valve to allocate resources towards developing a separate client for that 0.22% of users.

XP is very different to how I expect Vista and 7 users to be treated as well. Valve hates Windows 10 and there's a sharp increase in power between the average XP machine and the average Vista/7 machine when it comes to processing and memory. I doubt that anyone running XP still is utilizing more than a single gigabyte of memory. How do you support those people in 2019?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Is there an easy way to get a list of games I own that only work on Win XP?

Does anyone even still use Windows XP and cant you just change compatibility through the exe of the game?

Just tested out Manhunt 1 on Steam - I didnt modify the exe , use any mods or anything - just installed it and played the game at 1920x1080 resolution at 60 fps (confirmed using FRAPs).

Store page says will not work on Windows Vista, 7 and 8.

But I just played it fine on my Windows 7 PC.....

Edit: Holy smokes, this game looks loads better than GTA III and VC when it comes to visuals and animation.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
You could be right.

We encourage all users on these operating systems to upgrade to newer versions of Windows in order to have ongoing access to the latest features of Steam, and to ensure future access to all games and other Steam content.

I didn't read the last part. That sucks then but how would they do that if games work now? Couldn't you just sign out of Steam and still use them?

I think the most important bit is actually at the start here:

"Starting on January 1 2019, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. This means that after that date the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows."

As for your question about launching, the thing is most games on steam still use Steam DRM (or third party DRM) so if you sign out of Steam you can't actually start the game. My game doesn't, because DRM isn't a mandatory feature on Steam, but that's still the exception and not the norm.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
0.22% of the active Steam username is a lot of people.

Because they sells lots of games that support it?

Don't forget it's 0.22% and shrinking. I'm sure Valve has done the math on how much time/money they're spending continuing to support a dead OS, how much it's limiting them and whether any developer is even requesting or asking for continued WinXP/Vista support, and the rate at which those OS's are shrinking and came to this date combining all of that. Plus, as they call out, they use Chromium for a large portion of Steam. Chromium and Google Chrome no longer are supported on those platforms either (Chrome was discontinued in 2016). Without a significant rewrite for a shrinking OS base, they don't have many options.

Many games have cut WinXP/Vista support as well. For example, Eve Online cut support for those OS' two years ago because it was also limiting what they can do. So few games even support WinXP as most have moved on to at least Win7 as minimum.

All good things come to an end pretty much, and supporting an OS for about 16 years with Steam is pretty damn good.

What about games that don't get patches to work on win7+?
Which games on Steam are an example of this? Windows has really strong back compat. Hell, you can still take many Windows 95 apps and games and run them on Windows 10. There are always going to be exceptions, but for the vast majority of the cases things will generally work.

Last edited:

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 3 seems to have a ton of trouble with newer operating systems. They should stop selling it if they can't be bothered to fix it.

Railroad Tycoon 3 needs workarounds to play on Windows 7, but they won't be added to the game officially because the game is abandoned.
Fallout 3 has an issue with multi-core CPU's that you can change by editing a value in an ini file
it shouldn't be pulled but yeah Todd Howard should've fixed that a long time ago

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its probably worth noting that as of May 2018's Steam Hardware & Software Survey, Windows XP 32bit accounted for 0.22% of Steam users, and XP 64 bit/Vista accounted for a userbase so small they weren't recorded

So it doesnt matter that people are getting fucked because there aren't a lot of them? It's interesting the night and day response between this and the PS4 Fortnite debacle, well interesting in that its expected.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
So it doesnt matter that people are getting fucked because there aren't a lot of them? It's interesting the night and day response between this and the PS4 Fortnite debacle, well interesting in that its expected.
No one is getting fucked. People who still use XP and Vista are fucking themself.
Dropping support for old OSs isn't in any way, shape or form "fucking people".

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's so funny to me to read people saying that people on XP deserve a refund.

Steam used to work on Windows 98. Are you trying to say that Steam should retain Windows 98 support too? In 2018? Am I entitled to ask for a refund if I used to play Half-Life 2 on a Windows 98 PC but steam doesn't work there anymore? lmao
So much for preservation and no "forced upgrades" but oh no windows 10 sux they said
Are they removing old games? No.
Are they forcing you to upgrade to Windows 10? No, 7 or above.

Apparently half of resetera is part of the 0.22% of Steam users on XP.