• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the templating full stop is terrible. They need to find some alternate to 'black hero' and 'white hero', as otherwise they will keep running into these issues.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So a black hero plays the black card and gets the whip?

Yes, that doesn't carry any unfortunate implications.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yikes.

Easily resolved though, and definitely unintentional.

Oct 25, 2017
That's Era for you up in arms over something stupid. There is no racism here but you all found some to conjure up amazing.
To be honest, I'm tired of people complaining about stuff being offensive wah wah too. But this so clearly has has racist connotations that I'm surprised Valve's team even approved this. Like how dumb can they be.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated but what's up with the resurgence of card games recently, especially so long after Hearthstone came out.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I mean, the templating full stop is terrible. They need to find some alternate to 'black hero' and 'white hero', as otherwise they will keep running into these issues.

I mean, it's worked for MtG for a while now, even with them having the Fear keyword associated with the black color. It's just the combination of "whipping" and "Black Hero" that creates this issue.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Ya they need to fix that right away. The effect of the card can very easily be worded and named differently and still do the same thing.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's worked for MtG for a while now, even with them having the Fear keyword associated with the black color. It's just the combination of "whipping" and "Black Hero" that creates this issue.

Magic doesn't use the term 'Black hero'. That's the critical difference, it personalises things.

sschol

Oct 27, 2017
It's insane that this hasn't been changed lol this is a legendary fuckup. Imagine if it just stays like this omg

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Videogame industry seems to still have issues with homogenous dev population.

Are there any black devs on the Artifact team? If so, I'm wondering what's their reaction.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Magic doesn't use the term 'Black hero'. That's the critical difference, it personalises things.

It does sometimes use black creatures/tokens/permanents and so on, though I guess in that case it can seem more impersonal. But the way the game is set up, I don't think they can get away from using "[Color] Hero" without making things confusing for players.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Disingenuous and bad faith argument
Talk about over reacting, once again.
It can be seen as racist thing if you really dig it, and oh yeah ERA does dig racism out of everything possible.

Just because 1 thing have whip and black in the same sentence it means its racist? oh boi.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It can be seen as racist thing if you really dig it, and oh yeah ERA does dig racism out of everything possible.

Just because 1 thing have whip and black in the same sentence it means its racist? oh boi.

I don't think anyone reasonable is saying whoever made this card is racist, the optics are just bad. Bad enough for Valve to change the name of the card? Probably.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, you really have to dig hard to see the potential problem in this. Must be why it passed through any vetting. Really have to reach to see it.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't be hard to change the name of the card, it helps it's still in closed alpha so I'm sure they'll change it.

How do you miss that

It had to be intentional by like 1 dude

Cmon

Eh, I don't know about intentional. That unit already existed in DOTA 2 and it used a whip. They put it in the game and found that Black fit the card better mechanically. Of course, the name with that combination is just sad but it does seem like "just" a massive oversight.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How do you miss that

It had to be intentional by like 1 dude

Cmon

It was intentional in that they didn't just let some sort of random algorithm write the card and posted it without checking it, but I sincerely doubt there was any actual malice behind the creation of the card.

I was on a design team for a parade project a few years ago, and we had to come up with an idea for a float to be used by the special needs association here in town. The parade has a western theme, so we work-shopped a bunch of ideas and eventually came up with a design for a float that looked like an old timey western jail. We had just started creating our technical drawings when we realized that the optics of parading a bunch of special needs kids in what is essentially a giant cage wouldn't play well.

Did anyone on our team intend to create something offensive? No, absolutely not. Would it have looked really bad if we finished the project using our original designs? Absolutely.

You're right that there's a non-zero chance that this is the work of a racist trying to push an agenda, but I don't see any value in not just assuming this is an unfortunate mistake for now. As long as they change it, who cares?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I see two issues at play here.

The first issue is the unfortunate coincidence of this game's terminology ("Black ______", "Blue _______", etc.) making for unintended language hiccups that are out of context. Everybody understands that and this is a simple fix. I would give the benefit of the doubt to a game developer who has stared at these words as game mechanisms and not given thought to them out of the context of the game.

The bigger issue here is the depiction of or participation in slavery in a game, and this is independent of whether it's a "Black Hero" named on the card or a "Green Hero", or whether the characters in the art are human or lizards. Anybody designing any games really should give more thought to the specter they're raising when they're handling slavery as a topic (or a playable option!) in their game. Slavery is an abhorrent practice that should not be welcome openly.

So what I would ask Valve is, in their review process of these cards, I understand the coincidence of using color names as your game terms, but the card name and the art is deliberate, and was any of that a thing that got a question mark at any point?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im reminded of all the immature jokes my group of friends would make over magic the gathering back in elementary school .