• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Just the other day we were playing l4d2 with some friends and we were talking about how cool it could look with some rt

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to see RTX in such a performant engine as Source!

Speaking of HL: Alyx, has there been a VR game with RTX support yet? Ray tracing is one thing, I'm mostly curious as to how DLSS 2.0 does on it.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Can it get level streaming support next? Maybe it already does, but the loading screens in Alyx feel like they're from 2004

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Excited to see RTX in such a performant engine as Source!

Speaking of HL: Alyx, has there been a VR game with RTX support yet? Ray tracing is one thing, I'm mostly curious as to how DLSS 2.0 does on it.

As of right now I don't recall any VR game officially supporting RT, I think it's mostly because it's so resource intensive even for pancake version counting dlss as help.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Is CS:GO running on Source 2 yet? Ray-traced Counter-Strike would be great.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Sounds awesome. Would be nice to see Source 2 becoming a more open engine though; seems like only Valve uses it, and very scarcely?

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
As of right now I don't recall any VR game officially supporting RT, I think it's mostly because it's so resource intensive even for pancake version counting dlss as help.

I get that for sure. I'm thinking mainly about how DLSS would do sans RT (the implementation a number of games were announced to have at Nvidia's recent keynote). VR performance and image quality being what it is, I wonder how much better you could make the image look for the same performance cost. The quality of DLSS implementation can vary, I know, but if motion artefacts were at a minimum and fine details resolved much more solidly, I feel like that could really elevate immersion.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Vindictus with RTX!!!

Nah, fuck that. Vindictus is still regular old Source Engine and poorly optimized. The game would be a slideshow with RTX. Not that Devcat would add that anyway.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I get that for sure. I'm thinking mainly about how DLSS would do sans RT (the implementation a number of games were announced to have at Nvidia's recent keynote). VR performance and image quality being what it is, I wonder how much better you could make the image look for the same performance cost. The quality of DLSS implementation can vary, I know, but if motion artefacts were at a minimum and fine details resolved much more solidly, I feel like that could really elevate immersion.
I think nvidia added a similar technique to VR last year, it's more tied to AA than it is to reconstruction, i forgot what's it called but basically the center of your image would have the highest possible resolution while the rest is kept low in order to preserve performance since you as a user wouldn't notice in the first place. Real dlss would be fire though.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Half Life 2 is Source 1.

Apparently the next Half Life isn't going to be a VR game, according to that Keyleigh documentary. So I guess this could be used for HL3, cause RTX in VR sounds a bit much right now (I can barely tell the difference between current presets on my quest 2 for Alyx)

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
But there's no games on this engine.
Dota-2-scaled-1-1600x901.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

capsule_616x353.jpg

capsule_616x353.jpg

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that all Source games utilise baked lighting so not sure how much RT is going to add other than reflections, which typically utilise old school cubemaps unless something has changed drastically in Source 2.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Wasn't the engine supposed to get into the hands of other devs eventually?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life 2 is Source 1.

Apparently the next Half Life isn't going to be a VR game, according to that Keyleigh documentary. So I guess this could be used for HL3, cause RTX in VR sounds a bit much right now (I can barely tell the difference between current presets on my quest 2 for Alyx)

I did not read that in the doc anywhere.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
HL and HL2 getting remasters with RT would be cool.
HL3 with RT instead would be even cooler.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS 2.1 added VR support, so I wouldn't be shocked if Alyx got features

Oh damn, exciting! (Although I only own PSVR so it's not like I can play it hahaha)

I think nvidia added a similar technique to VR last year, it's more tied to AA than it is to reconstruction, i forgot what's it called but basically the center of your image would have the highest possible resolution while the rest is kept low in order to preserve performance since you as a user wouldn't notice in the first place. Real dlss would be fire though.

Haven't read up on it but that sounds like Fixed Foveated Rendering. So instead of adjusting the high res center dynamically with eye tracking (like foveated rendering) it just counts on you spending most of your time staring down the central zone of the image. That's a great technique and, yeah, I would love to see it with DLSS.

I'm still hoping PSVR 2 features actual eye-tracked Foveated Rendering. There were patents and rumors to suggest they'd actually be doing it (if they can pull it off).That's the holy grail, man. I'd love to see it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Cool, I was wondering if/when this was gonna happen. It'd be pretty great if they ported all their old Source 1 games over, but it's been so long with no sign of an update for CS:GO that I'm betting they would rather just reboot the whole game.

I was under the impression that all Source games utilise baked lighting so not sure how much RT is going to add other than reflections, which typically utilise old school cubemaps unless something has changed drastically in Source 2.
They could do RT shadows and potentially replace baked lighting with real time GI.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Half Life 2 is Source 1.

I don't think it said that. In fact I think it's more likely HL3 (or whatever they call the next Gordon game) is going to be a VR game. It *could* be both, but on the VR side of it they would not be able to do something with the scope of Half-Life Alyx.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Perhaps they could go very heavy with the focus on raytracing for the next half life to be their big tech showcase? I recall them mentioning that when it came to half life games, they wanted them to do something new and unique for each of them, like the physics in HL2.

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
they can always remaster the textures to accommodate a new realtime lighting pipeline, like Quake and Minecraft

Realtime lighting is not a useful exercise unless you are planning to have a substantial number of dynamic lights - dynamic time of day, muzzleflashes, etc... I can't think of a single Valve game which would benefit from this, although I've never touched DOTA2 in any capacity.

Source's prebaked lighting already includes precalculated light bounces, GI, etc. There are also some limited forms of dynamic light within the engine but I understand their usage is limited by only allowing a certain amount in any one scene.