• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Let's hope they just clear them out before we get an update.

I really liked it, but it still has plenty of room for improvements.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they've gone all in on VR, so I'm not surprised they are discontinuing their regular controller. I'd imagine any general purpose controller they release for non VR applications will be based off of that new work.

I've had a steam controller since launch, but after using it a couple times I realized it was better just to use a m/k or standard controller depending on the game. It was a solution looking for a problem for most users.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Oh, man... I was hoping that they would make the controller config a lot easier than it is now, but I guess that's not going to happen.

An updated version would be nice, too, but I don't know what they could improve upon though...

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I currently use an Elite v1 as my controller. How does this one compare (obviously understanding the price difference between the two)?

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Amazing controller. Pretty much the only "standard" controller I can play with for long sessions without hurting.

I really hope they come out with a successor, but I know it wont happen :(

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
I currently use an Elite v1 as my controller. How does this one compare (obviously understanding the price difference between the two)?

i just ordered one, i'm wondering this too. from what i've read, the steam controller has a massive learning curve but is highly customizable. you'll get more out of it if you put more time in

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Aw man fucking what? I've got two because one got worn out quite a bit and I fucking love them.

Hope they come out with some kind of upgrade. My only problems were the spacing on the right hand side buttons and it just generally feeling light and cheap.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, do you know if that is possible with Game Pass games? Right now I am just using an old Xbox 360 controller.
Yup! I actually added The Outer Worlds to Steam when I was playing it through Game Pass. There's a program called UWPHook that you can use to add Windows Store games (Game Pass or not) to Steam. Not sure if there are any compatibility issues with certain games, but it worked fine for me with that game at least.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
Purchased: Jun 5, 2015 @ 8:14am
Steam Controller - $57.98 - Shipped
Steam Link - $57.98 - Shipped
Subtotal $99.98
Shipping and Handling $15.98
Total $115.96

RIP.

EDIT:

FWIW, I've gotten more than my 116 dollars worth out of each of these. Still use them both almost 3.5 years later. Still sort of hurts that the steam link app is just free and embedded now, and that the controller is a whopping 5 dollars. That's the price of early adoption I guess :)

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Best controller ever, now dead. I may have to get used to using mouse and keyboard for console games. Dual analog sucks man.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
sucks I can't get one for a non absurd price in Canada. Really want one.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Mine is dusty (I have trouble getting used to it)...but I might want more as a "Mint"...lol

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of sad that this controller is going away even if it's not overly loved. Microsoft pretty much killed most the variety in controllers when they released xinput. We just ended up with a lot of variations of the 360 controller and not much else.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup! I actually added The Outer Worlds to Steam when I was playing it through Game Pass. There's a program called UWPHook that you can use to add Windows Store games (Game Pass or not) to Steam. Not sure if there are any compatibility issues with certain games, but it worked fine for me with that game at least.
I don't believe UWPHook works with Steam Controllers.

GloSC does, however. But you need to get the game's ID from UWPHook and paste it into GloSC because GloSC hasn't been updated in a long time and can't detect newer Windows Store titles.

With a bit of work Steam Input does work with Game Pass, but it does need more effort than games from other launchers. Microsoft or Valve could very easily make fixes for this on either of their ends, but neither of them seems to think it's their responsibility.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Huh....

Should... Should I cancel my order? Doesn't this likely mean that a new version is on the horizon?

Even a sucessor releases we're talking $5 mate I spent more than that on lunch. It's not like the controller will cease to work if a successor releases it'll have the same functionality regardless.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe UWPHook works with Steam Controllers.

GloSC does, however. But you need to get the game's ID from UWPHook and paste it into GloSC because GloSC hasn't been updated in a long time and can't detect newer Windows Store titles.

With a bit of work Steam Input does work with Game Pass, but it does need more effort than games from other launchers.
Ah, okay, my bad. I didn't know there were issues with UWPHook.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay, my bad. I didn't know there were issues with UWPHook.
It's a shame, because UWPHook is generally a better all-in-one solution than GloSC, but I think there's been issues with Steam Controller for a while. Or I may be wrong and it's issues with streaming. I can't remember which one it is. All I remember is I had trouble with UWPHook when playing games on Steam Link with the Steam Controller.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never tried one before, but I guess I can give this a spin for $12.

Are these controllers good for console-style 3rd character action games? Or are they meant more for things like RTS, Moba, and genres that are not traditionally controller oriented?

Oct 29, 2017
You will be remembered as the definitive controller for shooters with a 3D Camera and first person games.

Wasn't a jack of all trades like an Xbox controller, but so much better for those situations

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I really tried to get used to this thing and played with it for a few hours, but came away disliking it. A controller honestly shouldn't have a learning curve imo

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Are these controllers good for console-style 3rd character action games? Or are they meant more for things like RTS, Moba, and genres that are not traditionally controller oriented?
It'd be pretty useless for that compared to an Xbox controller. You'd get more accurate camera control from controlling it with mouse input, but that's it. The analog stick and face buttons are great either, so for playing something like DMCV I'd say it's a downgrade in comfort.

I really tried to get used to this thing and played with it for a few hours, but came away disliking it. A controller honestly shouldn't have a learning curve imo

After watching my partner and their friend trying to use DS4 for the first time last weekend, I'd say the only controllers with no learning curve are the NES and Wii ones.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty good Euro Truck Simulator 2 controller but outside of that I never use it. Might pick up another one though since it's so cheap to sell in 10 years or something.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017

I played through all Dark Souls games and Sekiro without any problem. You just have to be willing to configure it to get it to how you want to play.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Just picked up a second one. At that price, might as well. Maybe I'll try playing some co-op games w/ my wife when it arrives. I really liked messing around with it, though I never got good at building perfect profiles for it.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Shit! I love this thing, it made treadmill gaming with mouse-like speed and precision possible. It's tragic that the next generation consoles won't adopt at least a trackpad as a replacement for a second analog stick and standardized back paddles. That's without even touching the software side of the Steam Controller paradigm, I'd be stunned if consoles ever got even a tenth of the functionality it has.

I'm very tempted to buy a second one in this discontinuation sale they're doing in case this really is the end, but they seriously need to be clear whether there's going to be a new revision, and they need to do it right now. Otherwise people like me are kind of being held hostage.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
My ideal controller for couch PC gaming. My guess is they figured most people who wanted one already bought one.

I might pick one up just in case my current one breaks some day.

I think the fact the controller had such a high learning curve and couch PC gaming didn't take off like Valve wanted hurt it initially followed by Valve bringing it's features to basically every controller that works on PC = a controller with niche appeal that most didn't want to spring for.

Hopefully they make a higher quality version some day, but I doubt it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No purchase option in my region unfortunately, it seems.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Ah fuck it, for £11 I might as well have a spare so I don't need to keep moving them between rooms.
Looking forward to whatever new versions they got cooking

It was such a terrible controller, I'm glad it's not being made anymore.

Controller testing has just gotten better.

He says ignoring how insanely awesome the controller became within months of launch and the immense Steam Input features directly spawning from it. I've been gaming since NES and tried everything. Easily the best most flexible and importantly - most PC controller - there is.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If they try again with a new controller, I think they should go for two analog sticks, even if there is still two track pads. Track pads are better able to handle D-pad / button pads than a track pad can handle replacing a joystick, and that sort of setup would mean that even at the most basic level, the controller could be used just as easily as any other controller.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a second just in case this is the end. It's a great controller for playing pc games without gamepad support and has pretty much allowed me to play everything on the couch.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I haven't used mine in like 2-3 years (got it with the DS3 Bundle), but I recall my biggest issue with it was the 'Dpad'. If it had just been the one touchpad for the right stick, i might've gotten used to it, but I abhorred the DPad. Also, getting it setup through Big Picture mode blew ass, imo.

Funnily enough, now that it's going away, I may give it another shot and see if it's worth buying another just for the memorabilia factor (also it might be useful for any future accessibilty issues).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If they try again with a new controller, I think they should go for two analog sticks, even if there is still two track pads. Track pads are better able to handle D-pad / button pads than a track pad can handle replacing a joystick, and that sort of setup would mean that even at the most basic level, the controller could be used just as easily as any other controller.

Right stick is terrible. I cant believe we might have to use it going forward. I hope it disappears forever.