• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Huh....

Should... Should I cancel my order? Doesn't this likely mean that a new version is on the horizon?

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best modern controller by far. I hope they continue to innovate if they decide to do a second controller.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Huh....

Should... Should I cancel my order? Doesn't this likely mean that a new version is on the horizon?
If they do end up coming out with a successor, I think it'll end up being something different than the Steam Controller. But that's just my guess.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Huh....

Pretty confident this is the case. Steam Input has been pretty huge and its features spring out of the most flexible and creative option - the Steam Controller. There isn't a solution for PC gaming that matches it. With their Cloud gaming service coming up, and Link getting more mobile use, makes sense for an updated controller, and potentially exploring a different form factor for mobile.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Where do you buy one in Canada? I don't see the option to buy on the steam store.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Ah, this is why they're selling it so cheap right now. Is it worth it though? Is it a good controller?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if they're going to make a new controller that works both with VR and without next (can you use the Index's controllers without VR? Or do they wireless connect to the headset like the awesome Oculus Touch controllers?).

I never got too much into using my Steam controller, but using it to play Civ V did become my favorite way to that game.

Only issue I really have with mine, is that Eneloop batteries are just so slightly thicker than standard AAs and won't fit in my Steam controller, so if I wanna use it I need to use disposables.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Where do you buy one in Canada? I don't see the option to buy on the steam store.
I think someone said in another thread that the controller is sold by third-party vendors in Canada and can't be bought directly from Steam.

Yup. Can use bluetooth or the USB wireless receiver that it comes with. Apparently you can also get the receiver to work with Index controllers too, though I have no knowledge on that.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
And nothing of value was lost.

Easily the worst controller I've ever had the misfortune of using.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
steam machines.. steam link.. now steam controller

steam index ??

Steam Machines failed, Steam Link was discontinued because they made it so practically every dinky piece of computing hardware can act as a Steam Link making it irrelevant, and the Steam Controller is probably just getting a new version. The Index seems successful enough based on the amount of stock they can produce and keep selling.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
steam machines.. steam link.. now steam controller

steam index ??

Machines, sure.
Link evolved into the Link App, and now Link Anywhere + Remote Play Together across iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux and Raspberry Pi, Samsung Smart TVs
Steam Controller spawned all the features for Steam Input and all the subsequent compatibility for all other gamepads. Steam Controller remains the only gamepad able to utilise all the features. New edition seems inevitable
Valve Index is doing pretty damn well considering its price, and is the best solution out there. That aint disappearing anytime soon

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
With tax and shipping it came to $15 so at that price it's definitely worth it. Hell, even if I don't even use it it's cool just to have as a novelty item since they are discontinuing production.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Unexpected error" at first but was able to get one. Not sure what I'll use it for though.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'll be pretty bummed if they kill it entirely. It definitely served its niche, my biggest issue with it was the fairly lame build quality.

If they made a version with only one trackpad, USB C, and a good d-pad, it would be amazing

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I liked what that controller was trying to do, but I always found it pretty finnicky to set up, even with premade profiles.

The games I played on it always tried to turn the touchpads into bad analog sticks, which kind of defeats their purpose, but is also the most natural choice for controller-oriented games.

The third rear trigger on each side is a great addition though. More controllers should do that.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked one up. I needed a new controller for home, and wanted to try the Steam controller for a while.

I think a revised version is pretty likely in all truth.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame you can't add more than one to an order, would have bought 4 of them. Didn't, because I'd have to pay shipping for each of 'em, so I just bought one in case my first one dies.
The controller is AMAZING and seeing it discontinued stings. #teamrevisionpls

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Ah, this is why they're selling it so cheap right now. Is it worth it though? Is it a good controller?
If it works for you, sure. It takes a little time to get used to it. It's not really like picking up an Xbox controller, and not just because they moved where shit is.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
c1d0385c44.png

If they do a second revision, I hope they double-down on their original design. The standard A, B, X, Y buttons weren't necessary. The left analog stick can also go. They just need to revise the left pad to make it the perfect WASD/D-Pad replacement. Making it rock (like a Sega Saturn D-Pad) and improving the physical click may be enough. Perhaps add in additional back buttons for more fingers too.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were making a version 2? I really liked the steam controller when I played on pc, I liked that launch video that showed them being made in the factory while it played portal music too

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Canada getting shafted so hard on distribution? EU and US has it and we only ever got the initial release batch over here. The steam controller is 140+ dollars on amazon.ca and 5 bucks in the us its insanity

Deleted member 44122

hope that means theyre preparing a v2, i doubt it though :/

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah not a fan of mine. I'd be conceptually interested to see what they'd change for a revision, but more likely they'll just not do anything.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've never used one, but for $13 and change it's gotta be worth a try. I've been sharing a DS4 between my PC and PS4 since my first DS4 became too faulty to use regularly.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
It's a crime that the controller wasn't embraced more, it's one of the best controllers available and the level of configuration is absolutely mind-boggling.