• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
GamesIndustry.biz said:
A marketplace on its own may create the potential for an interesting in-game economy, but it sounds as though Artifact all but requires a constant cash flow from its participants. At launch, there is no way to earn packs through play, and in fact there is no single-player campaign, ranking system, or really anything to Artifact other than playing the game with someone else for fun. Barnett clarified that these features may come later depending on what the community wants, but for now the team was only focused on releasing the core of Artifiact - something he'd repeat multiple times throughout our interview, including when asked about cross-platform play with the game's mobile version.
Monetization is not the only place where Valve is trying a somewhat-unconventional spin on card game norms. The game will also feature live chat that allows players to communicate with one another during a match - even strangers. I asked how that chat and the community in general would be moderated to discourage bad behavior, but neither Barnett nor Garfield could offer any specific idea of tools that would help someone avoid a random internet stranger hurling insults at them during an Artifact match. At least at this point in development, it seems as though Valve is leaning on the hope that the community might simply not be a problem.
"Psychologically, we find that people misbehave when there is somebody else to observe them misbehaving," Barnett said. "When it's a one-on-one game, what is my motivation for saying something awful? But when you're in a game with a bunch of other people and you say something, a bunch of other people laugh at you, so something happened. We tend to see people behave very differently in one-on-one situations."
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-09-03-valve-creating-artifact-is-not-a-zero-sum-game

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
no singleplayer content is fine, but no ranked play is a serious problem

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can't imagine leaving chat on in any game, so that's fine by me.

Odd how the article suggests F2P is possible, when Valve has said on record it's not coming (thankfully).

They also said there is no ranked ladder ever in this game, but instead tournies because they don't want "an endless grind."

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still probably in, but man this feels like it's gonna be extremely bare bones even with Valve only focusing on one platform at launch.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
When it's a one-on-one game, what is my motivation for saying something awful?
People getting pissed and insulting the other person? What a weird reasoning, but I guess saying we didn't have the time to implement it is bad PR.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the inclusion of the chat feature in the first place. What's the point of having chat feature in a 1vs1 game?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I don't get the inclusion of the chat feature in the first place. What's the point of having chat feature in a 1vs1 game?

To have conversation with your opponent?

Live an unfulfilling life?

Also we gonna artifact it when the game is out, my waifu PA will destroy your filthy deck.

That's no fair when best waifu broodmother isn't even in the game at launch.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The seem focused on making it exactly like a physical trading card game, just digital.

Oct 27, 2017
No ranked is weird, but i dont think anyone expected the other two
It seems they're really trying to model it after a physical card game. One interview I saw said they want people to play with friends rather than randos, plus they want to avoid a need to grind, and I imagine that's why they aren't having rankings.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't really care about the other two, but no ranked seems strange.

I guess if the rumours about it having weekly tournaments or whatever are true, there's no real need for it, though.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Do we have a lit of all heroes yet?

https://www.artifactbuff.com/cards

€: Looks like more had aleady been confirmed
https://artifactwiki.com/wiki/Heroes

It seems they're really trying to model it after a physical card game. One interview I saw said they want people to play with friends rather than randos, plus they want to avoid a need to grind, and I imagine that's why they aren't having rankings.

I'd say the reason other CCG's feel so grindy are their reward systems much more so than a ranking systems.
Don't see anything grindy about a mode that would evaluate your skill somewhat, purely for novelty.

I'm guessing this will cost like 10 dollars at launch.

It's 20$

Last edited:

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Psychologically, we find that if Valve isn't dragged kicking and screaming to paying somebody to do something, they won't do it.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I guess if the rumours about it having weekly tournaments or whatever are true, there's no real need for it, though.
Yeah, I remember that they want "progression" or whatever be through tournaments. One of the reasons they gave was something like
"With a MMR/ranked system, the best decks to use are the ones that end the game as fast as possible, instead of the one with higher winrate. A deck that can win 55% of games in 3 minutes ends up being better than one that wins 60% of games in 10 minutes". And it makes some sense, as it's like people are grinding away.
I'm guessing this will cost like 10 dollars at launch.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of the rest of the interview is about how they don't think like tournaments or "serious gaming" is appropriate for most of the audience, so I suspect that doesn't exist.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd say the reason other CCG's feel so grindy are their reward systems much more so than a ranking systems.
Don't see anything grindy about a mode that would evaluate your skill somewhat, purely for novelty.

whenever they get around to those weekly tournies, that'll be dope. i def prefer mario tennis style online tournies to HS style ranked ladder

Yeah, I remember that they want "progression" or whatever be through tournaments. One of the reasons they gave was something like
"With a MMR/ranked system, the best decks to use are the ones that end the game as fast as possible, instead of the one with higher winrate. A deck that can win 55% of games in 3 minutes ends up being better than one that wins 60% of games in 10 minutes". And it makes some sense, as it's like people are grinding away.

yeah - that + f2p rewards means the meta revolves around quickest to 51%

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of the rest of the interview is about how they don't think like tournaments or "serious gaming" is appropriate for most of the audience, so I suspect that doesn't exist.

That stuff isn't appropriate for "most of the audience" for most games, though.

It would be colossally stupid (imo) to not have any sort of built in systems for competition. Especially considering how wildly popular competitive gaming has been for their other two flagship games.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
My concern with tournies is that without an MMR system in place beforehand, people will just get fucked by their seeds.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are in for a rude awakening with Artifact. People in 2018 are really not used to a MP only game that has zero player agency (no daily carrot to grind, no daily quest, no rank points to farm, just the game to play).

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I think people are in for a rude awakening with Artifact. People in 2018 are really not used to a MP only game that has zero player agency (no daily carrot to grind, no daily quest, no rank points to farm, just the game to play).
Listing those as examples of "player agency" is somewhat disconcerting.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard failed to get Valve's popularity in the MOBA genre.
Now Valve will fail to get Blizzard's popularity in the card genre.

Its Iike poetry.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Listing those as examples of "player agency" is somewhat disconcerting.

It is kinda sad that things like these are expected nowadays, that players have this need of being... how do I say it, "psychologically stimulated"(?) to keep playing a game, instead of playing it just for fun. But who knows, DOTA 2 managed to keep being popular from 2011-2014 before it even implemented some kind of "grind"(MMR).

It'll be refreshing to see a game like this trying to maintain its playerbase because of the game itself, not some kind of meta-gaming numbers.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Its Iike poetry.

This game is hardly even trying to compete with hearthstone

whenever they get around to those weekly tournies, that'll be dope. i def prefer mario tennis style online tournies to HS style ranked ladder

I think it's possible to have both, but i guess we'll have first to find out how tournaments in Artifact will actually work.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So it's a true online trading card game. That actually pretty nice if you are into that kind of stuff. Your collection has actual value because you can resell cards.

A great to hear that it has a full chat feature.

Its Iike poetry.
I think Valve actually said that they don't directly compete with them, but create are more hardcore, niche experience. There are already enoug Hearthstone clones out there.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure everyone will be their best selves in the face of a unmoderated open chat in a competitive game.

...I'm sure of it.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
From the article: "At launch, there is no way to earn packs through play"

So, do I understand this right? The game is not free to play and yet you can only earn new cards by spending real money?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
And no other way than spending more money into the game to be able to enjoy more of it's content.

I really wouldn't mind having no carrot to grind because the game I paid for gave me all it's content to do what I want with it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
From the article: "At launch, there is no way to earn packs through play"

So, do I understand this right? The game is not free to play and yet you can only earn new cards by spending real money?
You get cards with your initial buy and then you can buy booster packs. Just like in a real world Trading Card Game.