• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing that actual plagiarism is being supported.

I don't care if the game is $3 or that it's just one developer, making money off of the art from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is gross.
I…didn't know this. Admittedly haven't played any Castlevania games. Just bought this today. How's he getting by without a call from Konami lawyers?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

I don't care if the game is $3 or that it's just one developer, making money off of the art from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is gross.

If Konami isnt gonna do anything good with those assets might as well enjoy a game that does *shrug*

Explanation Where Sprites Came From

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
The sprites had originally been commisioned for Serenade of Chaos (https://slash.itch.io/serenade-of-chaos) and got drawn from scratch by Christopher Barrett (Bungie), so please check your facts before accusing of how they've been ripped from SOTN just because they remind you of it.

The game is a hobbyist project made with a mix of $50 worth of asset packs and free assets and nobody was expecting this kind of success, so the graphics are getting redone regardless.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Konami themselves don't give a shit about it, it's nothing. You can rest, warrior.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The sprites had originally been commisioned for Serenade of Chaos (https://slash.itch.io/serenade-of-chaos) and got drawn from scratch by Christopher Barrett (Bungie), so please check your facts before accusing of how they've been ripped from SOTN just because they remind you of it.

The game is a hobbyist project made with a mix of $50 worth of asset packs and free assets and nobody was expecting this kind of success, so the graphics are getting redone regardless.

Wait so they arent even Castlevania assests? The fuck are people on about then ...

Glad its such a success for you, though unexpected on your end.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017

Hey man just wanted to say this game fucking rules and I can't wait to see where it goes.

It's video game crack (in a good way....) and I thank Northernlion for playing it as I'm not sure I would have found it otherwise.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Has fuck all to do with Konami, stealing other people's art for profit is awful.

Konami can take the game down if they care, but I doubt they do

Oh. lol

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Oh nice. Shouldn't have taken a random poster's word for it. I blame lack of sleep…and the poster.

Oct 27, 2017
36k people are watching this game on twitch atm with the biggest channel being korean followed by a french one (I've seen many french streamers playing this game since a week).

gg poncle well deserved exposition

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I can get where the acusations of stolen art are coming from, considering the monster and character types but you can just compare them to the ones in Castlevania. Plus, it's not like these are original monster and character types in the first place, Castlevania uses so many public domain and mythological creatures that have established designs or looks, like there are only so many ways to make a low pixel count mummy or bat.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, I might give this a spin. Are the names in the screens y'all posted automatically generated? I am laughing my ass off at them, if they are automatically generated there's no way the dev is not Italian.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC

Thank you for this game, seriously. Giant Bomb has been pushing it a little, too. Happy for your success!

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020

50 bucks, and probably a lot of time, turn into (if steamspy is to be believed) 500k+ sales on steam and over 1 mil after steam's cut... Congrats on your success, that's pretty incredible. And considering it was the most addicting game I've played in a while, I'd say very well deserved. Need to get back to it to try the new garlic and bird evolutions. I like the charm of the existing look, but the prospect of some new art is exciting.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Maybe this post should be threadmarked in case people only see the plagiarism accusations in the earlier posts?

Deleted member 98536

Jun 13, 2021
A perfect blend of classic Crimsonland and mild Geometry Wars, the itemization and 30-minute gameplay loop are perfect reductions for unimpeded fun. It's very zen to play, while the unexpected surprises like weapon/item combos are a blast when discovered. When things hit this point, it's a total zone moment.

Like popping digital bubblewrap with different weapons.

Yj22nbR.png

Fav things:

The only good NFT.
Chest opening songs.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This game has consumed me lol. Haven't felt this addicted to a game in awhile.

Haven't made it to 31 minutes yet but got a little over 29. That evolved garlic is some shit.

Just tried my first run of hyper library and let my guard down for a second and it was over. So good.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Having a lot of fun with this game. Walking between two blobs of enemies with upgraded garlic is bliss.

EmryX

Oct 30, 2017

I don't know but this :
1643145217-capture-decran-2022-01-25-a-21-09-35.png
1643145217-capture-decran-2022-01-25-a-21-02-56.png

Are monsters from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Here a sprite sheet from the game :
1643145309-capture-decran-2022-01-25-a-21-03-05.png

And even if it's not a straight sprite rip then copy pasted into Vampire Survivors, the DESIGN are a lot the same. I won't do the same for all the enemies because yes Castlevania uses so many public domain and mythological creatures that have established designs but i think you can do things differently... You can find some "similarities" even in the sprites for the weapons (the rod, the holy water and the Bible).
Even the cover of the game has Dracula from Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles artwork, and the woman is clearly Bayonetta from the Bayonnetta 2 cover.

I don't want to be guy screaming at plagiarism because I did the same when I wanted to create a game when I was younger. But there is a lot of "odd" things, and the game is now released on Steam and cost money.

If I was the developper, I should be afraid of Konami calling one day at his phone

Last edited:

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I got 2 evolved weapons at the 18 minute mark in a library run, 4 minutes later I had another 2 evolved weapons. I didn't take any damage at all until the reaper showed up lol

Jan 21, 2019
I just love this game. I await every update eagerly. I hope we get other crazer weapons. To be honest, I haven't tried to win without holy vespers. Is it even possible? I assume you need the Rune Tracer to get buy.

Dermee

Dec 16, 2017
I got all the current achievements, took roughly 15 hours. Love this game, best $3 i've spent in a long time. Most weapon evolutions are viable, not too big of a fan of the whip evolution.

Hopefully with the success, poncle can flesh out a roadmap. I'm very eager for more content.

AHK-Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Bought it after seeing this thread and played obsessively until I got all the achievements. Really fun game, cheers to the creator.

Makes me want to try making something myself again... if only I could muster the will.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago

I mean, an artist can be commissioned to create work and that work can still very blatantly rip off something else. Olrox (both forms) and Ectoplasm are pretty egregious, here. To suggest they just kind of "remind you" of the original designs is laughable. It's the exact same design just stretched and only slightly altered, down to the extremely specific poses, details (true form Olrox's long crooked finger) and artistic palette decisions like the purple shading on Olrox's true form.

I'm not even saying this from a plagiarism standpoint. Fuck Konami. But like, come on now. It's obvious.

JbPVSKg.jpg

Z6quG3l.jpg

norn

Oct 26, 2017
If there any way to kill the reapers at the end? I did once manage to get a table between he and I and made it to 31:06 when the 2nd dislodged the first and he got me.
supposedly it is possible, but you either need a really specific build (i haven't yet tried with either of the new weapons) or some very particular positional wizardry. this was my best attempt:

unknown.png

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, an artist can be commissioned to create work and that work can still very blatantly rip off something else. Olrox (both forms) and Ectoplasm are pretty egregious, here. To suggest they just kind of "remind you" of the original designs is laughable. It's the exact same design just stretched and only slightly altered, down to the extremely specific poses, details (true form Olrox's long crooked finger) and artistic palette decisions like the purple shading on Olrox's true form.

I'm not even saying this from a plagiarism standpoint. Fuck Konami. But like, come on now. It's obvious.

JbPVSKg.jpg

Z6quG3l.jpg

Yuuup. Oh yeah. Just picked this up for a few bucks and its fun but come on some of these sprites are just slight changes from the castlevania series lmao

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
You should be called out for accusing without proof. What the heck are you on?

I agree with you in principle, however I played the game long enough that if I buy it again I basically can't get pictures of the plagiarism without removing my ability to refund the game on Steam and I refuse to support the game in any way (including watching it on YouTube/Twitch). I'm not going to just not say the right thing because I can't provide proof, nor am I going to support an act I utterly hate to provide proof against said act.

I don't care what the developer said, getting your artwork commissioned doesn't preclude your art being plagiarized. It legit happens often, even to big AAA companies.

Anyone whose finished Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and played this should've instantly recognized Olrox and Ectoplasm.

I'm glad EmryX and Tailesque were able to provide proof in posts #125 and #131.

Now let's go through these other posts:

Sure, but it's not like people are buying this game because of its art.

Doesn't matter, dev and whoever he commissioned that actually did the plagiarism, still gets paid for said plagiarism. Stealing other people's shit isn't magically okay just because that isn't the central reason people are interested in your thing.

Konami themselves don't give a shit about it, it's nothing. You can rest, warrior.

I don't know why people think that just because Konami made the game means it's suddenly okay to steal other people's work, but I'm sure the Japanese artists who actually made the spritework would probably care if they knew about this game, which they might not because, y'know, they're in Japan and different games have different levels of popularity everywhere.

Like, you realize the artists are different from the Konami overlords that ran the company into the ground, yes? Like what kind of logic is that where you worked for a company a long time ago and way later the company turns to shit so now it's magically okay for people to do whatever the hell they want with your work? lmao.

You're at least correct that Konami probably doesn't care about spending money to protect their artist's work, but that's not a good thing. Encouraging the act of art theft is bad, don't care which shit company got their art stolen, all defending the act does is make it easier for other people to do it to the companies and artists you do care about.

e:

And for the record, I'm not saying the developer intentionally plagiarized the work knowingly, I'm willing to believe he didn't because again if AAA companies can get sidelined by this a single person doesn't stand a chance.

I'm sure it's either a commissioned artist who did it and the developer didn't check (or tried but there's too much stuff to check), or these were sprites used in one of those cheap/free spritepacks that just happen to be plagiarized which happens a lot too.

But I'm still not going to support the game until the artwork is thoroughly changed, and I'd hope the people who actually care about artists won't either. We can do better than this.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I started playing this after watching ProtonJon's stream.

Fun as heck. Basic, addictive gameplay loop. Reminds me of calculator games I played in high school.

Last edited:

Deleted member 98536

Jun 13, 2021
The dev already said they were replacing the art, in this thread. There's not much more to it than that.

I'd be okay with an update replacing it all with coloured squares tomorrow. Ain't playing it for the goofy Castlevania sprites, inspired or otherwise.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Max out garlic, birds, bible, tracer and blue wand. Got the glove, increased attack damage, double projectile ring and the item that increases ability duration. At that point you can literally just stand in the library and watch everything die. This is an oddly satisfying game.

EmryX

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad EmryX and Tailesque were able to provide proof in posts #125 and #131.

Thank you.
There is a lot to talk about, unfortunately it's not just about Olrox and one monster. It seems to be more frequent, you can see the sprite for the chicken, some weapons too and the official artwork/cover for the game is about three characters, and the three characters are traced :

1643290497-271487209-314096380649738-4581717056946387166-n.jpg

The woman is Bayonetta :
1643290497-271989199-455032566126929-3793081587407515676-n.jpg

The Dracula-style-bad-guy is... well Dracula from Dracula X Chronicles artwork :
1643290498-271837585-255491996709082-7236154049063776079-n.jpg

And even what's suppose to be the protagonist is a Belmont from Castlevania :
1643290498-271753004-700779001293572-6648097297475940414-n.jpg

I mean... If it was just one or two things, I could see an homage and be fine with it, homage to Castlevania is my jam since Konami doesn't give a shit. But the more you look at it, more you can find "odds" things, and you start to see the homage transforming into "plagiarism". We can do more than that and respect the work of others.

If it's gonna be replace little by little why not, maybe I will buy this game too

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
It may have been suggested already but imagine if Nintendo put out a Zelda version of this in LttP style with items and enemies from across all games.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I just learned of this game called Magic Survival that came out a year ago:

play.google.com

Magic Survival - Apps on Google Play

Hack and Slash you can enjoy with one-hand control

I was defending the art stuff, because the game is so good, but apparently not even the gameplay is original.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I just learned of this game called Magic Survival that came out a year ago:

play.google.com

Magic Survival - Apps on Google Play

Hack and Slash you can enjoy with one-hand control

I was defending the art stuff, because the game is so good, but apparently not even the gameplay is original.

This matters way less than the art though, there are very few games with completely original gameplay, nor are gameplay mechanics copyrightable. You can patent them if you have a truly original idea (e.g. Namco's minigames during a loading screen that they used to have), but for the most part it's understood that there's only so much you can do with gameplay mechanics. Also as someone who plays Magic Survival, they are mechanically different in various ways, it's not a 1:1 copy of Magic Survival or anything.

Art is inherently copyrighted and is a unique product someone actually came up with. Doesn't matter if most of these creatures are mythological or legendary beings, there's a bajillion different ways to draw them in tons of different art styles at that............the artists just didn't and instead stole and resized Symphony of the Night assets. lol.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see this thread I read it as Vampire Saviors and get sad when I realize it's survivors lol.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone managed to get 6 Evolved weapons on a build? I made one with 4 and it absolutely mowed everything down. I was trying to get knives, but rng gave me Runetracer near the end.
The Unholy Vespers barely did anything as my Hellfire, Heaven Sword, Holy Wand and Runetracer pierced through everything. If only the Bone and Runetracer could evolve. I hear Vandalier is really strong if you can level both of them to 8, so 24 levels.

IDXnuou.jpg

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Anyone managed to get 6 Evolved weapons on a build? I made one with 4 and it absolutely mowed everything down. I was trying to get knives, but rng gave me Runetracer near the end.
The Unholy Vespers barely did anything as my Hellfire, Heaven Sword, Holy Wand and Runetracer pierced through everything. If only the Bone and Runetracer could evolve. I hear Vandalier is really strong if you can level both of them to 8, so 24 levels
Not sure how the damage compares to two separate birds but the really big perk is the additional weapon slot, it just takes a really long time to do depending on luck. I had one run where I was around lvl 74 and still upgrading, it wasn't until the last 2-3 minutes I was getting enough XP to max out my last item and by that point you won't be getting much mileage out of it... apart from reaching death! Granted I haven't spent any gold on XP gain.

I think the game is too easy to beat as it is even without all the gold upgrades but I'm sure deva can find ways to extend playtime with endless and bosses etc if they want to.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
Oceanhorn has done even more blatant and yet forgiven plagiarism. Twice, endorsed by Kenji Ito, and released on Switch while it's Nintendo they plagiared.
OT on forums were plenty of people who didn't complain then and where fast to accept plagiarism.

With this history, I'm not surprised anymore. But I won't complain in this case because like previouly said, Castlevania has a long history of using well known mythology figures. And this is an indie project caught by a surprise success.

Status
Not open for further replies.