• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which clan are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Brujah

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • Tremere

Votes: 99 23.6%
  • Toreador

Votes: 108 25.8%
  • Ventrue

Votes: 71 16.9%
  • Malkavian

Votes: 99 23.6%

• Total voters

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly my assumption. I also think logistically adding Malkavians post launch as free DLC would be theoretically less intensive and expensive on production than Nosferatu, as the clan curse and implications of Nossies would in practice require larger variant pathways and quest arcs to accommodate them into the game. I figure that during the major production cycle where it's all hands on deck getting Nosferatu out of the way makes more sense than inundating themselves, particularly building additional arcs and locations for major quests and whatnot, post launch for free.

Plus it fits the direction the team are taking where each clan is supposed to feel like a unique identity and pathway through the game.

Brujah = Brawlers/close combat
Tremere = Mages
Toreador = Social/persuasion and ranged combat
Nosferatu = Stealth/sneaking/hacking
Ventrue = Social/dominance with close combat?

Post launch Gangrel cross over enough with Brujah to be a twist on brawler/close combat, with more emphasis on shape shifting. Malkavians fill a post launch social bracket, with its own twist. And since the player character isn't voiced a lot of the production work hinting and teasing premonition and insight through the player dialogue can be done just through writing and text without having to hire a ton of new voice actors.
Definitely agree with what you're putting down. Gangrel and Malkavian post-release to round out the classic seven clans seems likely, and then we can maybe get into something novel like the Lasombra, Setites, Hecata, etc.

I still can't believe this game is called Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 and that it is Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2.

Like what the fuck dude.
It's a strange life.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart

tenor.gif

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Something I'll probably never see outside of a mod would be the Daughters of Cacophony bloodline (Wooing and driving people insane with song like a Toreador Malkavian lovechilde). Gib.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
They were throwing in some serious Salubri teasing in the stream yesterday, interested to see what they're going to do with that. (All the more reason to be a Tremere.)

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
I'm starting to wonder if they'll allow a customizable character creation or follow the original and give you a couple of models to pick from for each clan.
I think that it would be a full character creation. You choose you appearence, clothes, body type, pronouns etc. If they only had two models for each clan they would have said so already, but each chance they get, HSL double down on the customisation part.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost positive I will play a Toreador on my first run. It's the only clan I've completed the original with, though I cheated and gave my girl Animalism so she could have claws about halfway through the game because she had zero combat abilities.

I really like the design for the character model they showed but am hoping I can make an androgynous male and that the seduction options aren't so hetero this time around. If my powers of seduction are supernatural, gender shouldn't matter.

They were throwing in some serious Salubri teasing in the stream yesterday, interested to see what they're going to do with that. (All the more reason to be a Tremere.)
They also referenced the Giovanni right before the Salubri, I believe(painful bite).

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if they'll allow a customizable character creation or follow the original and give you a couple of models to pick from for each clan.
Incremental creation, from the sound of it. They'd allow for full customisation (they claimed that they are pursuing the modern approach to character creation), although apparently you won't be able to fully create your character right away.

I really like the design for the character model they showed but am hoping I can make an androgynous male and that the seduction options aren't so hetero this time around. If my powers of seduction are supernatural, gender shouldn't matter.
IDK, my Tremere girl is flirty as all hell with other women in Bloodlines 1. And frankly, I don't really buy that you should be able to seduce everybody unless you are a Toreador with humanity through the roof.

I always thought that the notion of populating an entire world with borderline pansexual NPCs for the shake of giving players a chance to hook up with everybody regardless of gender and orientation was silly. People should be able to block your advances or embrace them just like they do in real life. Just treat the subject with some respect.

Last edited:

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Incremental creation, from the sound of it. They'd allow for full customisation (they claimed that they are pursuing the modern approach to character creation), although apparently you won't be able to fully create your character right away.

IDK, my Tremere girl is flirty as all hell with other women in Bloodlines 1. And frankly, I don't really buy that you should be able to seduce everybody unless you are a Toreador with humanity through the roof.

I always thought that the notion of populating an entire world with borderline pansexual NPCs for the shake of giving players a chance to hook up with everybody regardless of gender and orientation was silly. People should be able to block your advances or embrace them just like they do in real life. Just treat the subject with some respect.
I'm into dead end romance characters in theory, but in practice you'd have to take special care that you've not just created a whole bunch of dead content that people won't touch on a second play (or a first if they're using guides). Maybe a small fetch quest behind the rejection or summat?

YonderOne

Nov 29, 2018
Perth, Australia
I'm not cancelling my Steam pre-order, but wow, slashing half from the price of a game that doesn't even have a concrete release date? EGS is either drowning in money, or their sales are abysmal.

I believe that discount is only deep in specific regions - here are the prices in Australia, but still USD ($10 US equalling roughly 645 rubles, so the discount is technically the same):

EpicGamesLauncher_sjouglEVFZ.png

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Is there any reason to pre-order the game? Seems foolish without gameplay yet.
Bloodlines was what got me into tabletop with VtM, so If you played the Bloodlines back in 2004 and that magical game and WoD universe as a whole been stuck in your head for 16 years and then they announce a sequel. I'd say that's reason enough for me at least.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
That RUB to EUR conversion is absolutely BA-NA-NAS at the current exchange rate. Like, €13 for the full kit.

Fuck me.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Maybe it's the other way around - next week Nosferatu get a spotlight, and then Ventrue for last. Start with the Rabble, end with the Blue Bloods.

I'd guess they want to keep the suspense as long as possible. That tunnels pic is still open for speculation re: Nossie or Malks. A boardroom being Ventrue is a pretty open and shut case.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Have Paradox/Hardsuit said anything about showing the game at E3 at all? I assume not, but I might've missed something.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Have Paradox/Hardsuit said anything about showing the game at E3 at all? I assume not, but I might've missed something.
They have not, but I'd bet we'd get our first full look at gameplay at E3 probably in the form of a trailer. Right now they've revealing each of the clans of the game on a weekly basis, with each one having a really small snippet of gameplay at the end. I don't think it's coincidence the last one revealed occurs a bit before E3 starts.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
They have not, but I'd bet we'd get our first full look at gameplay at E3 probably in the form of a trailer. Right now they've revealing each of the clans of the game on a weekly basis, with each one having a really small snippet of gameplay at the end. I don't think it's coincidence the last one revealed occurs a bit before E3 starts.
Yeah, I've been really loving those livestreams! I didn't play the original Bloodlines - honestly kinda strange that I missed it, since it's very much my sorta game - but the way the devs have been talking about Bloodlines 2... Well, just gonna crib this from something I wrote in another thread:

This is gonna be sorta long, but I wanted to just say, I've been super impressed by Bloodlines 2's marketing so far, for real.

It's basically the exact opposite of that Ghost Recon 'what's a theme???' nonsense–not only are they being actively progressive/inclusive - mainly referring to everything Cara Ellison's been saying about character creation, gender, sexuality, punching up and so on - but they're also doing whole livestreams where the devs do basically nothing but talk about the themes the game's going to be dealing with, and how each clan was inspired by/comments upon different aspects of vampire fiction.

I did a module on the history of vampires in literature and film a couple of terms back, and these streams genuinely feel more like university literature seminars than video game marketing at times, with all the - specific, and clearly considered - references to notable works of vampire fiction they've been making, and explicit discussion of the significance and thematic content of those texts.

I was primed to be excited for this game regardless, since it's very much my sorta thing, but the strength of the marketing has genuinely taken Bloodlines 2 up to near to the top of my 'most anticipated' list.

So I really hope you're right about that gameplay trailer! I wonder if it'll rate a press conference appearance...

May 26, 2018
Yeah, I've been really loving those livestreams! I didn't play the original Bloodlines - honestly kinda strange that I missed it, since it's very much my sorta game - but the way the devs have been talking about Bloodlines 2... Well, just gonna crib this from something I wrote in another thread:

So I really hope you're right about that gameplay trailer! I wonder if it'll rate a press conference appearance...

If they're going fully intellectual, then I can't wait for the Bloodlines equivalent of debating the Morpheus AI in Deus Ex.

Oct 25, 2017
My first Bloodlines run was as a Tory. Will probably do the same here.

Man, that androgynous Tory design is on point for a modern rendition.

So we're assuming of the two launch playable clans remaining, the first is Ventrue and the last is Nosferatu or Malkavian? There seems to be debate on what the location is. Could be a prison or asylum, as there's a series of doors with electronic room locks.

img-clans-6.jpg
img-clans-2.jpg

Looking like that Gangrel is off the launch window, I am happy with the Malks being the last revealed. I always have a soft spot for this clan outside my crazy fortitude mofos.

May 26, 2018
Looking like that Gangrel is off the launch window, I am happy with the Malks being the last revealed. I always have a soft spot for this clan outside my crazy fortitude mofos.

I'm still wondering if Malks are being saved for DLC. Because they provide insight into the deeper layers of the story, it might be spoilerific for someone to play them first. Once many people have beaten the game, then they release the DLC. It might also give them more time to write sensitively about mental health.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still wondering if Malks are being saved for DLC. Because they provide insight into the deeper layers of the story, it might be spoilerific for someone to play them first. Once many people have beaten the game, then they release the DLC. It might also give them more time to write sensitively about mental health.

Well with the malks it's all dependent what kind of generation the blood the person is within the tiers of "insanity" going for them. The idea of them being DLC does warrant a smart move because of the whole needing to change the experience around to truly do it justice like with the first game.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't make it look like an asylum or a hospital in my mind. It screams underground, maintenance tunnels, sewers, places where the public doesn't go.

May 26, 2018
I just can't make it look like an asylum or a hospital in my mind. It screams underground, maintenance tunnels, sewers, places where the public doesn't go.

Look at that floor. That's an image taken moments before rats appear from out of frame and scurry down the hall.

Nosferatu or Gangrel, not Malkavian. (But I'm open to being surprised.)

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Look at that floor. That's an image taken moments before rats appear from out of the frame and scurry down the hall.

Nosferatu or Gangrel, not Malkavian. (But I'm open to being surprised.)
That's what I'm saying, I can't squint hard enough at that pic and extract anything specifically Malkavian out of it. Nosferatu would certainly feel at home there.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like leaving Nosferatu for DLC would be unlikely, assuming the game needs to be built around them being able to remain out of sight. I'm guessing Malkavian will be DLC.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
That does seem like the safest bet. As long as we get Malks eventually, and they do something interesting with them. (It doesn't have to be the same as BL1!)

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
If they're going fully intellectual, then I can't wait for the Bloodlines equivalent of debating the Morpheus AI in Deus Ex.

I mean, I dunno if they'll make it that explicit. A lot of my favourite dialogue-driven games do indulge in the, 'let's have a somewhat on the nose discussion about what this all Means' style of storytelling - the big talk with Kreia at the end of KotOR II, for instance - but you don't, like have to do that to give a story thematic depth.

I'm just glad they're clearly thinking about this stuff, and referencing works like Only Lovers Left Alive, Let The Right One In, etc etc. It's all just kinda at the top of my mind right now since it wasn't that long ago I was writing an academic essay about, well, exactly the stuff they're talking about in these streams, heh.

I'm probably gonna at least try and go back to Bloodlines 1 before this comes out. I know that, even with all the fan patches, mods and stuff, it's still gonna be janky as anything... But, like, my favourite game is KotOR II - even before the restored content mod - so I doubt that'll bother me all that much!

May 26, 2018
I mean, I dunno if they'll make it that explicit. A lot of my favourite dialogue-driven games do indulge in the, 'let's have a somewhat on the nose discussion about what this all Means' style of storytelling - the big talk with Kreia at the end of KotOR II, for instance - but you don't, like have to do that to give a story thematic depth.

I'm just glad they're clearly thinking about this stuff, and referencing works like Only Lovers Left Alive, Let The Right One In, etc etc. It's all just kinda at the top of my mind right now since it wasn't that long ago I was writing an academic essay about, well, exactly the stuff they're talking about in these streams, heh.

I'm probably gonna at least try and go back to Bloodlines 1 before this comes out. I know that, even with all the fan patches, mods and stuff, it's still gonna be janky as anything... But, like, my favourite game is KotOR II - even before the restored content mod - so I doubt that'll bother me all that much!

What other genre allows you to face big picture philosophical issues head on, though? I say if you're going to have a vampire NPC who is a young thinker or is absurdly old and seen more than their share of bullshit, an honest discussion about the state of the world is almost mandatory — or at least an option in the dialogue window. That's part of what makes roleplaying in these sorts of games so cool. You're just going along with the plot, and out of nowhere you get into some deep shit with an interesting character, and the world becomes a little more real.

The characters don't even have to be "right." They just need to have their own perspective and set of beliefs, allowing for a great discussion.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Well with the malks it's all dependent what kind of generation the blood the person is within the tiers of "insanity" going for them. The idea of them being DLC does warrant a smart move because of the whole needing to change the experience around to truly do it justice like with the first game.

Playing Malks first was a perfectly fine way of playing Bloodlines. They were one of 2 clans with Obfuscation, and coming into Bloodlines from the 2 DX games and looking for something similar, a stealth-focused option was a no-brainer.

People stress so much how supposedly difficult is was to parse the Malk dialogue options, but really they were just flowery allegories for normal answers. The fact that every character got their own nickname was just ultra-immersive- you are trying to make sense of this new under-world that exists alongside the reality you knew before the Embrace, so you create your own symbolic language to define what it it you are facing, with occasional random insights or episodes like the stop sign argument, or the conversation with the TV anchor

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Finally, the real clan is in - Ventrue today. Because Florian is unavailable, they pre-recorded the stream. Guess someone released it earlier than planned.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
- Ventrue are pressured to drink from people with high resonance, as in emotionally potent. People with weak resonance provide little in the ways of benefits and only marginal blood. Gameplay encourages hunting down people with high resonance.
- Dominate and Fortitude disciplines.
- Dominate; overpower minds through will. Can range from rendering targets inactive, to commanding them to complete orders, like go somewhere, open doors, or attack someone. Integrated into dialogue for dialogue checks.
- Fortitude; nullify attacks, draw healing from attacks, cause enemies to recoil from hitting adamantine skin.
- "Ventrue sow chaos amongst the ranks an outlast the results."
- Ventrue disciplines benefit from rarely breaking the masquerade.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Another clan/discipline prediction success for the books. This last clan will be the diciest though (sticking with prediction of Nosferatu with Animalism and Obfuscate).

They are teasing Lasombra again in that video btw, at 15:20 mark. :)
Sunuva... Git the hype! (haven't watched it yet, but soon)

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Important detail Florian mentioned is that character models we see on the main site are actual NPCs, that the player will meet in the game. Which lends credibility to the theory about them being the ones who did the mass embrace thing, and our potential sires.

It's diablerie season in Seattle next year.