• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Vampyr is the upcoming Action-RPG from Dontnod the french studio behind Remember Me and Life is Strange.
Speaking to MCVUK, Focus Home Entertainment, the publisher behind the game said that Vampyr will not feature DLCs or Microtransaction, it will be a complete game.
This is a purely solo experience; we did not plan DLC. We would prefer, if the reception of the game justifies it, to think about a sequel. We and Dontnod already have some ideas, as there are so many incredible things to offer in such a universe.

If they manage to sell at least 500.000 copies across all the three platforms (PC, PS4 and One), Vampyr will be profitable, with 1 million units will be considered a success.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I already purchased my copy on Steam, hope this game can archive the million to be a succes.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If the game is good, word of mouth alone would get it to that target. I hope it's good though.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
If it's good, Day 1. If not, then it depends on why it's bad. The writing needs to be good, but if it is, then Day 1. Remember Me put to sleep, so expectations aren't high.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
500k-1 mil at the average sale price of....?

Regardless I don't think it's impossible if it's a good game and gets some good media around launch. The timing of the launch is most crucial I think. A game like this needs a couple of weeks to itself to stand out and get the word around.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
500k across all three? I think it could do that if it turns out to be a decent game. No chance of 1 million though.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
500k-1 mil at the average sale price of....?

Regardless I don't think it's impossible if it's a good game and gets some good media around launch. The timing of the launch is most crucial I think. A game like this needs a couple of weeks to itself to stand out and get the word around.

50€ on Steam, like every AA game from Focus, The Surge was 50€ aswell

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Are they doing LiS 2 after Vampyr? If so....fuuuckkk. I'm interested in Vampyr but I don't think it has the broad appeal of LiS. What are sales figures for LiS and Remember Me? I wish them the best.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
That's... actually a modest expectation for a near full price retail game. I'm impressed!

That said, it's still an uphill battle and will probably need to review well to hit those numbers.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the game hasn't really had a solid marketing campaign. It doesn't have the pedigree from a long running series with amazing sales. It doesn't immediately stand out by premise alone, as these victorian-esque era british settings are everywhere in media. Let's not even get into how fresh vampires are.

The only chance this game has is if it gets a mass media push from extremely positive previews which lead to extremely positive reviews and word of mouth. Not to mention heavily marketing the 'from the team behind Life is Strange' and releasing it in a month it stands a chance.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50€ on Steam, like every AA game from Focus, The Surge was 50€ aswell

Oh I didn't mean just at launch. If they're planning on around 1 mil at full price I would advise readjusting those plans as that's pretty unlikely.

What I meant was I don't think 1 mil is hard to get over time but if 30% of that is a bunch of people buying it for $10 then will they still be profitable? That's what I meant, the avg. price of each sale they get.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think 500K is doable if the reviews and word of mouth is good. People are starved for good vampire game. There have been zero of them since Bloodlines.
Even 1 million might be possible, given that it releases on three platforms. Divinity 2 sold around a million on PC alone already.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope moving this game to early 2018 helps but even that seems a bit stacked in terms of releases.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I didn't mean just at launch. If they're planning on around 1 mil at full price I would advise readjusting those plans as that's pretty unlikely.

What I meant was I don't think 1 mil is hard to get over time but if 30% of that is a bunch of people buying it for $10 then will they still be profitable? That's what I meant, the avg. price of each sale they get.

Ok my bad, we don't know if they want 1 million at full price or no.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i remember they announced it but i still have no idea what it's really about. i'll check it out but right now i have only heard of it because of LiS.

Kgamer

Oct 27, 2017
They earned my purchase with Life Is Strange, even if I didn't like Remember Me. Bring the game on.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This game is going to be the very definition of a "cult" game. Predict this will be this gen's Alpha Protocol. Hope I'm wrong and it finds success but still...odds aren't looking good.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i remember they announced it but i still have no idea what it's really about. i'll check it out but right now i have only heard of it because of LiS.
It's an action RPG with branched dialogues set in early 20th-century London. Main character is a doctor turned vampire who struggles between keeping his Hippocratic Oath and dealing with his new vampiric nature. IIRC, it's not open world but it's got several large, open hub environments whose appearance and inhabitants will change in reaction to your decisions throughout the game's story.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's okay. Not all games need DLC. It'll be nice to play one knowing it won't be getting any.

I'm intrigued by this game, and after having watched some footage, will likely play through it.

Oct 27, 2017
That's very good. More games need to budget to be profitable at lower numbers.

500k for a niche idea like Vampyr should be do-able long run. IDK why some people think that means its done for.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I think if they sell 1M they know it won't be all at full price, so probably it's taken into account.

They also can sell it to sony and ms for the montly free games I reckon

Deleted member 2279

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
From the LiS Wikipedia page;

The first episode was ranked fifth among the best selling PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 video games of February 2015. Life Is Strange reached one million sales in July 2015,having accumulated over 1.2 million unique players worldwide; the attach rate to units between the complete season and season pass proved to be "extremely strong", divulged Square Enix. The retail edition made seventh place in the top ten UK game sales chart for the week ending 23 January 2016.Life Is Strange was one of the top 100 best-selling games on Steam in 2016. As of May 2017, more than three million copies have been sold.

At a retail price of $50 with pre-orders at $45, and given the success of LiS (and the so far positive reception to Before the Storm, which, while a different dev, is sure to draw attention to Dontnod), I feel like this should be doable if it a) gets positive reviews and b) a release date that isn't right around any of the big guys. Early 2018 is looking fairly sparse, IIRC? Only SotC, Far Cry 5, and Ni no Kuni II on my radar.

Edit to add: and yes, some good, targeted marketing. Does Steam Spy track pre-orders?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with the current marketing campaign? it's going to have to have ridiculously good word of mouth to reach that.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The number of units means very little. What matters is the price.

What price are they projecting that based off?

Because I'm sure they could sell 500k at $1 each.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I will be there day one. Vampire themed games are far and few between. I think they can reach 500k, but it won't be easy. Really depends what else releases at the time. But i doubt it can reach 1 mil.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Had a quick look at the gameplay trailer and it's looks very atmospheric. I'll probably pick this up if it's good.