• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
vampyrotecjol.jpg

Developer: Dontnod Entertainment
Nintendo Switch Port: Saber Interactive (also ported The Witcher 3 to Switch)
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PC, Playstation 4, and Xbox One
Nintendo Switch Release Date: October 29, 2019
Original Release Date: June 5th, 2018
Genre: Sad Doctor Man with Bad Conscience Eating-Action RPG
Format: Digital & Retail
Nintendo eShop: EU | US | CA | AU | NZ | JP
Download File Size on Switch: 7947.16 MB
Video Capture Support on Switch: No :(
Links: Official Site ||| Original OT by More_Badass ||| Oliver Derivière's Soundtrack on Bandcamp (or Vinyl)
Bonus Link: A good non-spoiler post about the endings/pacifist options

CURSED BE THE CHOICE…

London, 1918. You are newly-turned Vampyr Dr. Jonathan Reid. As a doctor, you must find a cure to save the city's flu-ravaged citizens. As a Vampyr, you are cursed to feed on those you vowed to heal.

Will you embrace the monster within? Survive and fight against Vampyr hunters, undead skals, and other supernatural creatures. Use your unholy powers to manipulate and delve into the lives of those around you, to decide who will be your next victim. Struggle to live with your decisions… your actions will save or doom London.​

LONDON 1918

Vampyr takes place after the Great War, in 1918 London. The city has been devastated by conflict, and the Spanish Flu is spreading rapidly among its citizens.

While the British government struggles to rebuild the country, secretive groups led by supernatural beings are pulling strings with growing influence. Ancient vampire societies, occult scholars and relentless vampire hunters all compete for dominance in a shadowy conflict lasting a millennia.

DR JONATHAN REID

Jonathan E. Reid is a talented surgeon and researcher, widely admired by his peers. During the Great War, he enlisted as a military doctor - partly to test his progressive theories on blood transfusion and organ transplantation.

As the war draws to a close in the Autumn of 1918, Dr. Reid is sent home. Returning to London and looking forward to being reunited with his family, Reid is attacked and loses consciousness in the street. His last memory is that of a strange figure murmuring a dark poem, making towards his neck.

At the beginning of Vampyr, Dr. Reid awakens, cursed with a terrible thirst for human blood. In his quest to find a cure for his vampiric condition, he tries to maintain a rational and scientific method – all while coming to terms with a strange, supernatural world.​

SAVIOR AND STALKER

In the aftermath of the Great War, 1918 London is ravaged by a mysterious illness that is tearing the city apart. As a doctor, you have taken an oath to heal those in need, and your medical expertise has given you the means to find a cure that will save the city.

As a newly-turned vampire, you now also have the power to defend London from the strange creatures roaming at night. However, you'll need to survive and grow strong enough to succeed in your calling – and that means you'll need to feed…

RESIST TEMPTATION

You are a vampire, with foes both human and supernatural. On your quest to discover the truth about your affliction, you'll be forced to engage with vampire hunters, undead Skals and other monstrosities.

To better survive against these deadly foes, you must evolve your arsenal of supernatural vampire abilities. Those who roam the streets at night possess blood that yields less power - to grow stronger more rapidly, you'll be tempted to feed on the very citizens you set out to save. Can you resist the allure of purer blood?​

CHOOSE YOUR VICTIMS

Ravaged by flu, London's streets are desolate but those who survive do so with greater importance. Delve into their daily routines to learn about their lives, and their relationships. Every character you talk to has a purpose in the world; a job, a family, and a story. Impact one of them, and you will touch the others…

You need to feed to survive long enough to save the city, but you must also be prepared to live with the consequences. Fathers, store-owners, priests, killers, thieves… cursed be the choice. Who will you sacrifice for the greater good?

73110389_2516845405269yk1d.jpg

74591318_251684539860hyjc0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm sure I messed up the punctuation in the title somehow. But I'm extremely drained today. Yes that pun is intended.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I've watched some gameplay footage and I'm very impressed with the port. Might grab when it's on sale.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Other than lighting and some reflective surfaces, this looks to have translated really well.

Vampyr is good. Flawed, but super interesting and ambitious.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Frame rate looks wonky, some effects missing like reflection, but it looks good I'll give it a check.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Really interested in this game, but was waiting on how the Switch port would turn out. Defintely going for this version, looks like a game to play while in bed.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Don't sleep on this game Era. It's my surprise 2019 hit. You will be able to tell it's an AA game, but it punches well above its weight.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Need to check out the videos in the OT. Just under 8GB is a good. Have it on PC, played only a small part of it and was unique in a way, well from what I usually play.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked this game, except I kept hating running into locked gates and the same line being repeated, but there's a major spoiler early on (a choice) that I think is presented poorly that I just want to scream at people since it is confusing. Nevertheless, glad more people are going to experience the game. It's worth experiencing.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This is my Halloween game of 2018 played in 2019. I deliberately waited for the autumn to play this game. Started it up yesterday and the first few hours were exactly what I had hoped for. Playing on XB1 but I'll be happy to exchange views with everyone in here. I noticed that this game really is somewhat becoming a cult classic with so many LTTP threads over the last year.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
The Switch version looks good.
That's cool,because it's a great (flawed) game.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I need to hear y'all impressions on it lol
Like, the port or the game cause there are enough impressions of the game out there (it's great) and there's good video of the port in the OP :) (and from what I got to play (replayed the opening on Switch, already played that on PC last year) the Switch port is excellent, like the videos show).

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Posted n the eshop thread and just found out this game had an OT...

I just finished 55 hours of the game (I am both a completionist and leisurely player, HLTB has it at much less...) and really enjoyed my time with it.

It's an RPG where your actions have consequences, the constant dilemma in the background is if to drink the blood of some the NPCs (thus killing them), some of whom you like and some have simply not done anything wrong (drinking their blood will make you more powerful much faster), or not. Killing someone has game consequences, not only to the neighborhood's health (which affects the amount of danger in the neighborhood and the price of goods), but also as far as the people affected by those you killed, and these always exist. Same as not killing...

For me it was one of those "when will I have time to play more" kind of game, as opposed to "ok, I had a good time but when is this game going to end" kind of game. Performance is not perfect, but it does not hurt anything, the game looks good and from what I read I suspect it is not much different than the game's performance on other platforms.

Good and engaging story, many interesting side characters/stories, great voice acting. Did not play on easiest of settings, regretted it a few times (I'm not the best at fighting but suspect others might find my setting easy as well) but in the end I managed. Really recommend the game unless all you care about in games is the fighting.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
This, Assassin's Creed IV and Alien Isolation are the kind of game that I want to buy, but somehow feel that I should wait for a sale.
We'll see, early 2020 looks quite barren for me so I might bite at that time.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
This, Assassin's Creed IV and Alien Isolation are the kind of game that I want to buy, but somehow feel that I should wait for a sale.
We'll see, early 2020 looks quite barren for me so I might bite at that time.
Funny you say that, Assassin's Creed IV and Alien Isolation are next on my to buy list.

Had my backlog not been so big though, I would have first played Vampyr yet again (something I never even consider for 99% of the games) - this time around killing quite a few (very specific) characters and not killing others, and watching the consequences. Actions (both killing and not killing) definitely have consequences in this game, sometimes major and sometimes minor, quite often not at all what you expected.