• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. The first time an npc criticized me being from the West End or having profited from the war, I was like Oh.....

What do you wish they went deeper on?
I mainly wish that you could do something to help various characters situations, mainly.

I don't think this is spoilery since it's early game at the Pembroke, for instance, but I wish I could have helped the builder with the injured arm get back to his kids and learn more about him.

The dialogue was written so well but once you find out the extent of someone's problems you rarely get a chance to help them unless they are part of an Investigation. The dialogue serves to make the decision whether or not you'd like to feed on them interesting, but I wish I could do more than just let them live.

How cool would it be if the game let you bend history by infiltrating and charming individuals in high levels of the Parliament of England and passing laws to decriminalize things decades earlier? This is obviously expensive to realize and way out of the game's scope, but a player can dream, right?

EDIT: About the patch notes where they mention that the game will continue to be supported over the next few months, I wonder if a NG+ mode would be possible? Keep all XP and skills unlocked, reset everything else. It'd be neat if tutorial encounters in NG+ would skip all of their tool tip bits so you could get right back into the game quickly.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Not to be a broken record but considering it's my #1 frustration with the game: if they're supporting it for months, I desperately hope they fix the quest system a bit. I can't expect recording new scenes, but just having it not be so bad about suddenly jumping to the different description, and/or actually indicating to you on the quest screen when you actually know about it from the NPC vs having the item without really being told about the quest (or just... barring you from turning it in till you're told, maybe??) would mean a lot. I still have 2 Whitechapel quests I'm probably just gonna look up cause I have 0 idea if they're something I just missed that I have enough information on to do properly now, if I'm supposed to just guess and turn it in, or if I really don't know yet and should be waiting till I somehow get more info or can eavesdrop or something.

I do think that Camelia bug affected me so that's nice to see fixed; same for the serum inversion. Wonder if they caught something else I noticed (if you're rescuing someone and view their profile, then go through their relationships to another profile, the flashing "lost" is also on that profile).

Meanwhile, finished chapter 3. Will be away from my PS4 for the week but I'll pick it back up on Saturday.

Got spoiled for the boss being Mary when I googled to make sure leaving the watch wasn't gonna fuck me over. But then they revealed it 2 minutes later so... not a big deal.

Actually, that twist sounded way cooler when I was spoiled and just knew "oh, it's Mary". Cause... generic "I'm ~crazy~" isn't very interesting, and in the dialogue they sure made a lot of assumptions about you sleeping more and mesmerizing people? I've killed no one still, so any of the latter I've done just to get inside to talk to people, and meanwhile she's talking about watching me all those nights in Whitechapel, when uh... you mean the 2 nights? Like, the second night being the current night? Mary's been dead for me for, what, 4 nights total? Maybe 5? Potentially 6 at the most? Was there even any multi-day skip in the story until the start of chapter 4?

...along those lines, actually, I think they skipped the status update for the districts despite still processing them? I know there's no news or merchant things displayed but people definitely recovered (I had 7 people get fatigue in the hospital last time I slept and they all recovered) and a couple got sick, so... huh.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having trouble with a certain boss. He's 4 levels above me. So far I haven't embraced anyone, but I think I'm gonna do it now.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this game is great. Currently in the middle of chapter 5 and it keeps getting better the more i play it. Despite it being open worldish in some aspects it's pacing seems excellent and keeps you on going.
The voice acting is really stellar in this, what makes NPCs likable and Dr. Reid an outstandig main protagonist.

Overall the story premise and the historical setting mixed up with supernatural/occult elements is unique as it is immersive.
My only gripes at this point remain traversal not being so great, what makes travelling to various districts tedious, especially since enemy respawn is such a huge thing here. Some options to skip the narrow streets via roof-traversal would have been nice (and look cool).
The other thing i don't really like is collecting items and some assets are overused too much. To open the same chests and looking at the same furnitures over and over again becomes boring. Decreasing the number of required crafting parts in order to make valuable items would have been an option to contrast the repetitive collection part.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Will this game the same 'cult classic' treatment as Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines in the coming years?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
One of the unique things this game does is include real social politics within its supernatural story. I'm not familiar with the time period, but I enjoyed how every side story tied in with the setting (the war, women's suffrage, classism, immigration, etc.)

yeah,they did a great job.

Also the first patch is great,but bigger are coming !

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apart from two investigations, I've completed all which are available to me right now
Ah, I see. Is it possible to respec your skills? I never had to do this but perhaps certain skills might make the fight easier.

I focused on Autophagy, Rage, Claws, Blood Spear, Shadow Veil, and expanding Stamina and Vitality early on. The extra Stamina was probably the most important spend since it allows for lots of panic-dodging in tough fights.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if it's worth a new thread, but Focus announced on their investor website that Vampyr sold in a month more than 450K copies, and they seem happy about it:

Vampyr, which had been eagerly anticipated by gamers and the trade press across the world, was a firm hit, both in terms of sales and reviews. Indeed, just a week after it was launched, Vampyr was the best- selling game in France, the UK, Germany and a host of other countries. More than 450,000 copies of the game have already been sold in the month since its release.

We should have more during their next business meeting for the 2018Q1 sales, but I'm happy for Focus & DONTNOD and I hope it bolds well for the future of the franchise :)

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I see. Is it possible to respec your skills? I never had to do this but perhaps certain skills might make the fight easier.

I focused on Autophagy, Rage, Claws, Blood Spear, Shadow Veil, and expanding Stamina and Vitality early on. The extra Stamina was probably the most important spend since it allows for lots of panic-dodging in tough fights.

Hm. That's what I focused on, too. Minus Rage and Blood Spear.

edit: I might be able to upgrade my sword. Let's see if I can find the required resources.

edit 2: Apparently, the parts I need (good handle parts) won't be available until I reach the next district. Damn it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

edit: I might be able to upgrade my sword. Let's see if I can find the required resources.

edit 2: Apparently, the parts I need (good handle parts) won't be available until I reach the next district. Damn it.
Ah, I remember hitting that wall. I get that the developers wanted to slow progression a bit but I was annoyed by that.

Last suggestion (I hope I'm not coming off as patronizing!) is to load up on Serums, if you have the recipes and crafting materials, and see if you can scrape through the battle that way. :)

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I remember the early game being pretty difficult, but I got through it by upgrading my stamina/health mostly and playing defensively (hitting once or twice and then dodging away). It was slow but it worked.

My main skills were also mostly defensive: autophagy, coagulation (to stun bosses for a moment), blood barrier (to absorb a hit or two). My main damage dealers were claw and the abyss ultimate.

I also used the stake to stun a lot. When you bite someone, you're invincible so that gives you blood and also lets your stamina charge back up. Good luck!

Last edited:

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also used the stake to stun a lot. When you bite someone, you're invincible so that gives you blood and also lets your stamina charge back up. Good luck!
Yeah, this is a huge advantage. If your spacing and timing are right, some of the 2-handed weapons can almost stunlock opponents, allowing you to dump a full Stamina bar into doing solid Physical and Stun damage, all while opening an opponent up for a Bite. Then you get to recover Blood and Stamina during the Bite attack itself.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I finally got around to embracing
Reid's army buddy
since I wanted the extra XP for a boss fight and he was on my list anyway and the second after I did it and I heard his dialogue I was like.. "no, god, what have I done?!"

I had my reasons but his dialogue made the instant regret kick in.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
So happy this game is doing well in terms of sales.

Absolutely loving the story, lore, protagonists, writing and this ending! The epilouge of Vampyr dethrones the one of Uncharted 4 for me as the best epilouge ever.

Great game.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished a Not Even Once playthrough and I loved the game, despite its various flaws. I'm still processing but I just wanted to say how amused I am that Jonathan's maker is basically
Merlin from King Arthur's court. I'm not super familiar with Arthurian legend so I'm going to have to look up a bunch of names to see how it all fits together, lore-wise.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So happy this game is doing well in terms of sales.

Absolutely loving the story, lore, protagonists, writing and this ending! The epilouge of Vampyr dethrones the one of Uncharted 4 for me as the best epilouge ever.

Great game.
I really enjoyed the epilogue as well but certain things were pretty rough. Some general thoughts below:

• The Sword and Moon painting puzzle was a bit awkward. I was behind the staircase when Jonathan remarked, several times, "That's a peculiar-looking painting." If trigger volumes were used here, I think the trigger volumes could've used additional tweaks (mainly to not include the area under the painting that's behind the staircase) so that the player's view would be appropriately framed (pardon the pun) on the painting as they walk up that staircase. (I'm a Level Designer so stuff like this bothers me a bit.)
  • The puzzle with the buttons for the Sword and Moon -- finding the actual switches -- was a bit dull. I wish there was more to it. I would've loved for it to match up to certain suits of armor and the coats of arms on their shields.
  • The freeform approach to navigating around the castle's exterior grounds to find an entryway was fun! I really loved that.
  • The music during the epilogue was fantastic. The entire soundtrack is. You can buy it here if you'd like!
  • The final confrontation with Elisabeth and William was great. The burning archives behind Elisabeth was such a fantastic bit of art and lighting.
  • I loved how there were bits and pieces of Elisabeth's past history (her many identities, early hints at her connection to William) hidden around the place. It rewarded exploration and helped give some additional context to the final encounter.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017

Something along the lines of
"I should have known you were the real threat all along Johnny."
Like.. on paper, he was someone who I had no problem killing since
he was a burden on his family and his wife hated him.
But something about the fact that they were friends and the dialogue made me regret it when I did it.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I've reached West End. I can't really enter it, though, because I keep running into enemies 8 levels above mine who are too strong for me. I've completed all investigations which I'm able to complete at this point, and the few people I actually want to embrace have a higher Mesmerize level than me.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
"The first big release of the current financial year came on June 5, with role-playing game Vampyr (DontNod).
With the exception of Farming Simulator, FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE has never before invested so much in a game's development budget.Vampyr, which had been eagerly anticipated by gamers and the trade press across the world,was a firm hit, both interms of sales and reviews. Indeed, just a week after it was launched,Vampyr was the best-selling game in France, the UK, Germany and a host of other countries.More than 450,000 copies of the game have already been sold in the month since its release."

http://cdn.focus-home.com/admin/inv...-INTERACTIVE-Annual-earnings-2017-2018-EN.pdf

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've reached West End. I can't really enter it, though, because I keep running into enemies 8 levels above mine who are too strong for me. I've completed all investigations which I'm able to complete at this point, and the few people I actually want to embrace have a higher Mesmerize level than me.
I could be wrong but I think that District is physically locked off (at certain entry points) until after the halfway point of the game.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I could be wrong but I think that District is physically locked off (at certain entry points) until after the halfway point of the game.

No, I'm already far enough. I'm supposed to go there. I just couldn't get past the enemies. But now I've managed to make a run for it and reach the "safe" area with the NPCs.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
"The first big release of the current financial year came on June 5, with role-playing game Vampyr (DontNod).
With the exception of Farming Simulator, FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE has never before invested so much in a game's development budget.Vampyr, which had been eagerly anticipated by gamers and the trade press across the world,was a firm hit, both interms of sales and reviews. Indeed, just a week after it was launched,Vampyr was the best-selling game in France, the UK, Germany and a host of other countries.More than 450,000 copies of the game have already been sold in the month since its release."

http://cdn.focus-home.com/admin/inv...-INTERACTIVE-Annual-earnings-2017-2018-EN.pdf

162k on steam alone. This game needs a pro and x patch, as well as vastly improved pc perf.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Running through the districts handing out medicine is getting old fast. And I'm running out of resources, so I won't be able to keep this up much longer.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this the other day and it jumped up to my goty so far. I rarely care about npc's but this game really made me think hard before embracing someone.

I hope they make a sequel one day.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Running through the districts handing out medicine is getting old fast. And I'm running out of resources, so I won't be able to keep this up much longer.

Yeah.. I'm tired of this. And I'm out of resources. From now on, I'm gonna focus on the story missions and try to avoid sleeping unless I really need to level up.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.. I'm tired of this. And I'm out of resources. From now on, I'm gonna focus on the story missions and try to avoid sleeping unless I really need to level up.
Yeah when I played I minimized sleeping as much as possible. My understanding, though, is that citizens can't die from sickness, so you may be able to ignore them the pillar is still alive. Sickness does affect the district's health, though, and if the district falls into critical state then a bunch of people die/leave because the district is lost.

For resources, I found that I ended up with a lot of items that I didn't use (e.g. screws, glass vials, etc.). You can sell those and then buy resources you do need, like weapons parts and various chemicals used for crafting medicines. Whitechapel's pillar has the best chemical prices, I think, but other vendors do sell those if you really need some.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to playing this weekend. Holy shit is it great. Don't get me wrong, its janky as hell, but far from unplayable and what it's doing with its NPCs really is next level stuff.

I'm just imagining if dontknod got a true AAA budget but kept the open world the same size and it's like a dream.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Finally finished it. Overall great and really unique experience. The dark and gloomy setting got a bit stale towards the end and handing out meds was never "fun", just a chore. It's definitely not a game for everyone, especially if you're just looking for action and usually skip dialogue. I wish it had a bit more polish and refined combat to make it a more "complete" game, but kudos to Dontnod for making the NPC's and their interconnected stories incredibly engaging. Solid game!

7,5/10

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I decided to start playing as they're never going to fix the issues I have on PC, and I'm tired of waiting. I'm 16 hours in and it's OK, the KB+M controls are terrible, the performance is all over the place and the movement is a bit clunky but otherwise it's decent enough, the story is interesting, as is the setting and the characters are all voiced really well. I feel like this is a game that could have been so much more if executed better. I also feel the XP system needs some work, currently if you decide not to feed the game becomes extremely difficult and frustrating, so I've had to feed when I didn't really want to, just so I can progress. I'm already about 9 levels too low.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I decided to start playing as they're never going to fix the issues I have on PC, and I'm tired of waiting. I'm 16 hours in and it's OK, the KB+M controls are terrible, the performance is all over the place and the movement is a bit clunky but otherwise it's decent enough, the story is interesting, as is the setting and the characters are all voiced really well. I feel like this is a game that could have been so much more if executed better. I also feel the XP system needs some work, currently if you decide not to feed the game becomes extremely difficult and frustrating, so I've had to feed when I didn't really want to, just so I can progress. I'm already about 9 levels too low.

i disagree.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

All I can say is when you're 10 levels under a boss it's not fun IMO, I wasn't looking for a Dark Souls experience with this game so taking 50% of my health in one hit just wasn't cutting the mustard for me so I went on a killing spree and I'm now the correct level and everything is more fun. The more I play the more disappointed I am, because the story is actually really compelling and I'm enjoying it a lot, I just wish they had spent more time on combat and optimisation. It definitely could have been an 8-9 for me, instead of a 6-7.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
All I can say is when you're 10 levels under a boss it's not fun IMO, I wasn't looking for a Dark Souls experience with this game so taking 50% of my health in one hit just wasn't cutting the mustard for me so I went on a killing spree and I'm now the correct level and everything is more fun. The more I play the more disappointed I am, because the story is actually really compelling and I'm enjoying it a lot, I just wish they had spent more time on combat and optimisation. It definitely could have been an 8-9 for me, instead of a 6-7.

ah...kill people then.That's the point :)

but i didn't kill anyone in my playthrough and i didn't find the game that difficult.Just upgrade weapons and do the quests to gain xp.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know if it's a bug but I can't kill the last boss due to level scaling.

When I got to her I was level 31, she was 39 so I went and did some more stuff and got to level 37, but now she's level 51? She can kill me in literally 3 hits. I've watched videos and they are normally a few levels under her at most, she never scales anywhere near this level

Edit: Apparently it's intended, the more people that die the more she scales, 51 is her max level. I had to use cheat engine to beat her as it was impossible, even with cheat engine enabled it took 5 minutes of continuously hitting her for her to die, that just wouldn't have been possible otherwise. I definitely think the devs shit the bed on this decision, she shouldn't scale anywhere near that high. A 12 level difference meant I couldn't kill her without cheating.

Last edited:

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I finished this yesterday. The main plot as well as the NPC backstories were well executed, and the voice acting was great. However, the technical issues really soured my experience. Getting interrupted by >10sec loading screens at least once a minute when traversing the city.. what a mess. I also hated how most of the time when the loading screens disappeared, or also when I closed the menu, Jonathan would suddenly stop, so I had to let go of the left stick and press forward again.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I finished this yesterday. The main plot as well as the NPC backstories were well executed, and the voice acting was great. However, the technical issues really soured my experience. Getting interrupted by >10sec loading screens at least once a minute when traversing the city.. what a mess. I also hated how most of the time when the loading screens disappeared, or also when I closed the menu, Jonathan would suddenly stop, so I had to let go of the left stick and press forward again.

this is weird.I didn't have that problem on my ps4.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's a bug but I can't kill the last boss due to level scaling.

When I got to her I was level 31, she was 39 so I went and did some more stuff and got to level 37, but now she's level 51? She can kill me in literally 3 hits. I've watched videos and they are normally a few levels under her at most, she never scales anywhere near this level

Edit: Apparently it's intended, the more people that die the more she scales, 51 is her max level. I had to use cheat engine to beat her as it was impossible, even with cheat engine enabled it took 5 minutes of continuously hitting her for her to die, that just wouldn't have been possible otherwise. I definitely think the devs shit the bed on this decision, she shouldn't scale anywhere near that high. A 12 level difference meant I couldn't kill her without cheating.
I really think your experience varies here depending on your build. With my build at ~L30 (give or take a level) and the boss at ~L39, IIRC, I was able to finish that fight without dying once. It was very difficult (
took me maybe 5-10 minutes, for the whole encounter, including the previous fight
) but I think having loads of HP + Stamina really made it easier to absorb several successive hits and then use Autophagy to recover quickly. I definitely had to make use of every single one of of my Serums, Shotgun and Pistol rounds to finish it though!

About loading issues: I definitely got snagged a lot by those towards the end when I started sprinting and dashing non-stop; I maxed out Stamina upgrades so I was using this to zip around a lot. I didn't tend to sleep a lot (<10 times, IIRC, for the entire game) so the world was empty of hostile NPCs most of the time -- after I had cleared them out -- leading me to sprint+dash around with very minimal combat encounters in the streets to slow me down. One of the more annoying technical issues, for sure. I finished the game on a PS4 Pro outputting to a 1080p monitor, for context.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So I just picked this game up with the Xbox sale this weekend.

Quick question, game keeps telling me to drink blood of citizens, but the only citizens I see are people working in the hospital. The streets are vacant. (Begining of game). Am I suppose to feed on one of the nurses?

lordkosc

Nov 10, 2017
PA
Yep if you choose to, there are I believe 50 or 60 npcs that you can feed off of. ;)

General game observation, I am almost done chapter 5, but noticed that in the last 2 hours (all spent in chapter 5) the number of big choices seems a bit rushed (one after the next). Up to this chapter everything seemed paced better.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Just up to chapter 2 so far but the best thing about this game is by far the music. Really striking use of the saw, and it does a lot to set the mood of the different scenes/locales.

I'm still coming to grips with the gameplay. I think my biggest issue so far is that the dialogue feels unnatural, which is kind of concerning considering you'll be spending a large amount of your time in a dialogue tree. It feels serviceable in a Lucas Arts-era PnC kind of way, where you ask the different NPCs all sorts of invasive and random questions willy nilly and they'll spill. But it doesn't feel like natural conversation, and it bothers me in a game that nails so many aspects of its set-up/lore.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
So I just picked this game up with the Xbox sale this weekend.

Quick question, game keeps telling me to drink blood of citizens, but the only citizens I see are people working in the hospital. The streets are vacant. (Begining of game). Am I suppose to feed on one of the nurses?
You can feed on anyone but you don't have to