• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
This game is flawed but really good so far (Chapter 4). I think it probably got lower than deserved reviews due to the slight jank and a design that doesn't force you (and, in some cases, actively pushes against) some of its best and most interesting mechanics. You're a vampire, you've got to drink sometime. So talk and charm your way around town, feigning work as a traveling doctor, while you play a moralist trying to weigh out the pros and cons of taking civilian lives. As someone who likes games that allow me to roleplay, I'm definitely enjoying it a lot. But this game isn't an open RPG--you have to play with the build that the game gives you or else butt heads with the narrative dissonance ("pacifists"/"good ending" achievers, I'm looking at you). Still, going in as a tormented doctor sworn to protect but driven to consume, I'm having a blast.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just completed the game doing a no kills playthrough, I like that some bosses actually forced me to reconsider my strategies, upgrade my weapons and gain some more XP. The game is a bit too formulaic in its approach but it also feels like a fresh take on the RPG genre. Definitely enjoyed it.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
To those who are finished with the game: who did you kill and why?

For me, I ended up taking 4 lives.

First was Clay Cox. I delayed killing him from the outset, and instead waited to get all of his hints and his side quest before doing him in. He was a murderous shithead, who seemed to have little to no remorse for his actions.

Second, I killed Booth Digby. Considering he was basically Clay Cox's replacement in the gang, he was also a murderous shithead. I gave him time to reflect on his actions, but he just seemed as misanthropic as Clay. I felt a little worse about sucking Digby's blood though, since it meant that I'd now killed both of Edwina Cox's lovers. She seemed to be the least psychotic of the gang's leaders, and I figured leaving her mourning was punishment enough.

Third was Father Whitaker. This man claimed to be of the church, but he was just a callous murderer. He thought the only way to get rid of the epidemic was to burn the sick or sinning. Burned sex workers, burned sinners, burned anyone he thought sick. The only thing that held me back from killing him way earlier was my mesmerize level.

Finally, I killed Seymour Fishburn. I felt bad, because his mother clearly loved him. But he was a brutal and angry murderer, and he was a threat to the poor orphan that lived just outside of his door. This was the kill that had the most social ramifications, and it was bittersweet seeing those close to him react to his killing.

It's honestly the most interesting part of this game. And wanting to balance blood/EXP-lust with being a relatively moral vampire doctor made these decisions excruciating.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I... I just spent 2 hours trying to kill a single boss.

It went like this:
Five seconds of loading. Enter boss room. 2 minutes of combat ensues. Jonathan then succumbs to poison.
Five seconds of loading. Enter boss room. 1 minute of combat ensues. Jonathan then succumbs to a melee attack from behind.​

In total, this portion was about 1 hour, which seemed too long. So I went and levelled up, plus upgraded my scythe to max, then returned to the fray. And... including the travelling intermission, it went the same for another hour.

And then I just... beat it. And, hrm. Feels weird now to be past that part. Now I have a nostalgia for it or something, I guess.

The boss was
Doris Fletcher at the theatre.

Those smarmy "you should level up" loading tips aren't actually a lie after all.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I... I just spent 2 hours trying to kill a single boss.

It went like this:
Five seconds of loading. Enter boss room. 2 minutes of combat ensues. Jonathan then succumbs to poison.
Five seconds of loading. Enter boss room. 1 minute of combat ensues. Jonathan then succumbs to a melee attack from behind.​

In total, this portion was about 1 hour, which seemed too long. So I went and levelled up, plus upgraded my scythe to max, then returned to the fray. And... including the travelling intermission, it went the same for another hour.

And then I just... beat it. And, hrm. Feels weird now to be past that part. Now I have a nostalgia for it or something, I guess.

The boss was
Doris Fletcher at the theatre.

Those smarmy "you should level up" loading tips aren't actually a lie after all.
I had similar experiences, love this aspect of the game.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Finished up my first playthrough. I really enjoyed my time. It kind of reminded me of a smaller Witcher title, albeit with a much clearer focus on social systems/manipulation. I find that my biggest problem with the game was that it leans too heavily into dialogue-based exposition, which means a lot of the big reveals and plot points aren't shown through the actions of others, but instead are told to you by a character as you look at them through a static camera. The writing and voice work is decent enough, but even it cannot bear the weight of so much lore and twists delivered solely through conversation. The game was a fun moral play, and the atmosphere was a lot richer than the AA-production values may lead you to believe, but it fell short of greatness. Still, for its innovation in social systems, for its successful gamification of vampiric hunger, and for its dense world, Vampyr deserves praise. Dontnod still has yet to hit a game absolutely out of the park, but I'd much rather take their bold design risks over something safe but mechanically sound.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished it yesterday. Took me quite some time, had a few instances where I almost dropped the game, but I ultimately made my way through. I admire Dontnod for trying something bold and original, as much as I admire their sense for style and narrative, but I had quite a few problems with this one:

1) The combat simply never clicked. It's stiff, unsatisfying and, worst of all, not very fun. I don't think I've had a single fight in the entire 25-30 hour playthrough where I felt good after defeating someone. For the most of my playthrough, I avoided killing civilians for blood, but after the difficulty spike in Chapter 3, I realized I simply wasn't having fun being constantly underpowered. Even after eating some civilians that turned out to be murderers or guilty of heinous crimes, I never felt too powerful and never truly enjoyed playing with powers.

2) The performance on base PS4 is a goddamn embarrassment. I don't know if the recent patch did anything to it, but for most of the playthrough it was just abhorrent. Constant dips of FPS below 20, long loadings, freezing after quickly looking at the map, freezing in combat (!), freezing before cutscenes, loadings inbetween areas, softlocks, hardlocks, crashes – all that jazz. Performance-wise one of the worst PS4 releases I've ever played.

3) Navigating the world is a pain. Even after 20+ hours of gameplay I mostly couldn't orientate myself and it made an otherwise interesting mechanic (healing civilians) a nuisance you do to obtain the best ending. Couple that up with loadings between areas, frequent freezes, and I'm even surprised I actually bothered to visit every district to heal anyone who needed it.

Despite these issues, I enjoyed most of the other elements in the game, especially Jonathan Reid as a character and his story. The atmosphere is also dreary and just bleak enough to my liking. Usually, I'm not a big fan of endings based on your actions in game (especially the way it was done in The Witcher 3 was horrible imho), so I have to give Vampyr huge credit for being one of the first games to judge me accordingly. I didn't get the best ending, I didn't get the worst either, but I felt it was a fair assessment of my decisions and mistakes in-game. I also really loved the concept of deciding on who to kill/spare based on hints you get from civilians, notes and side-quest, really made me feel more connected with the world.

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10, maybe 7/10 for a well-done ending sequence. I can understand PC players handing out 8's and 9's, but the console performance significantly hindered my enjoyment of the game.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Finished it today. The ending seemed rush and I was sad it was based in lethal/non lethal approach,while not regarding who or how many you've killed.

The atmosphere and soundtrack was top notch.The story had mystery and I liked it,although it was a bit convoluted to be honest,especially as the game progressed.

Good game length,by the time I felt it was starting to drag,it actually ended,so that's a positive.

The combat camera was frustrating,but aside from that it wasn't bad.It served it's purpose

I wished they had fast travel between districts at least.Too much walking at mid to end game.

Really liked the social interaction system and was really tempted many times to devour people for that really important XP. A complex decision on if and who to kill for bloodsucking.

The NPCs also had interesting backstories and secrets and it was fun investigating and learning about them.

All in all,I enjoyed my time with the game and personally,I thought it would have a wider acceptance through the gaming crowd. It sure could use some refinement here and there,but the core was pretty good imo. I regard this as a true spiritual successor to Vampire:Bloodlines

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I can understand PC players handing out 8's and 9's, but the console performance significantly hindered my enjoyment of the game.

Yeah, I noticed that in video reviews a lot of the glitchiness they were complaining about was absent from my PC playthrough. Only experienced a mid-game loading screen about 3-4 times in my entire playthrough.

Darkflame92 said:
I regard this as a true spiritual successor to Vampire:Bloodlines

How? They're both games I enjoy, but I don't really see how this game compares to Bloodlines outside of "you roleplay as a vampire." Bloodlines modern style, its more open-ended RPG experience, and its more quest-based gameplay all mark it as a very different type of beast.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, the only thing that Vampyr and Bloodlines share is that they are RPGs in a vampire setting. Gameplay wise they are very, very different games.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
well what I meant is that this is the only game that satisfies my thirst(pun intended) for a vampire game,as it clicks the atmosphere and setting as Bloodlines did.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I'm an idiot and misread one of the choices and fucked up

I thought the "spare" option was making Dorothy resign from helping the people in Whitechapel and the Charm option would make her stay there and forget about the blackmail. I didn't realise the charm option would brainwash her and make her go missing! I understand why there's auto save only but I really wish I could reload and fix this.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Bit on this game for the $40 deal on Amazon. Certainly early, just got to the hospital but the setting is excellent and I game looks better than I expected on the one x.

Oct 27, 2017
Hit my first "Hint Failed" because I was tired and playing too nice. I guess it doesn't really matter, but that stinger (followed by that autosave icon) is some insult to injury, haha.

Probably been said already but this is maybe the wildest game I've ever played as far as loading/streaming goes (PS4 Pro). Not just for like, running down a short street and hitting three loading points - Nurse Hawkins only has eyebrows maybe one in five times I talk to her. I didn't think she had any until they finally loaded in once or twice.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
They ever patch this with PS4 Pro support? It's on sale rn but I'd rather get the PC version than something without Pro support.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I'm an idiot and misread one of the choices and fucked up

I thought the "spare" option was making Dorothy resign from helping the people in Whitechapel and the Charm option would make her stay there and forget about the blackmail. I didn't realise the charm option would brainwash her and make her go missing! I understand why there's auto save only but I really wish I could reload and fix this.
That's not a misreading.

IIRC there's some foreshadowing that charming folks can have unintended side-effects. I don't remember if it was some dialog or a lore item or something but it does come up. It's not a curveball so much as a "oh, I made a mistake."

Everyone intends for it to be the merciful option. It's just that Reid is a neophyte vampire and he overestimated his powers; he was arrogant.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
It took me three days to beat the act 4 boss. Haven't had that much difficulty in a while! Was 19 when I first tried it but ended up leveling up to 21.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a misreading.

IIRC there's some foreshadowing that charming folks can have unintended side-effects. I don't remember if it was some dialog or a lore item or something but it does come up. It's not a curveball so much as a "oh, I made a mistake."

Everyone intends for it to be the merciful option. It's just that Reid is a neophyte vampire and he overestimated his powers; he was arrogant.

It's in a note you can find; it mentions that new vampires might end up destroying memories while charming, or something along those lines. So it is foreshadowed, just very briefly as an offhand mention in that note, and it never happens when you do it as a game mechanic.

I also think it's maybe a bit unfairly timed given that...
It might make people wary of choosing the unusual options for later big choices when some of those are the good ones.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
It's in a note you can find; it mentions that new vampires might end up destroying memories while charming, or something along those lines. So it is foreshadowed, just very briefly as an offhand mention in that note, and it never happens when you do it as a game mechanic.

I also think it's maybe a bit unfairly timed given that...
It might make people wary of choosing the unusual options for later big choices when some of those are the good ones.
A similar decision in Witcher 3 was greatly praised. I think the main issue people have here is that the game doesn't allow you to go back on your save, so they feel tricked and unable to correct their error.

Web-Slinger

Aug 8, 2018
NYC
Still on the fence about this game. It looks good enough, just can't justify a purchase yet. Will wait for a sale. Or hopefully release on gamepass.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Not very far in. Only on chapter 2. I failed a hint with some guy and got mad about it so i fed on him. Not sure how i want to play it just yet eat everyone or no one lol.

Game has sime great ideas and systems. I wish this game and The Order could have a little game baby together.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
I have yet to jump in. Hoping to do so in the next week. Can anyone tell me if story mode is worth it or is normal mode good enough when it comes to balance? A lot of people seem to complain that the game is too hard, but then you find out it's because they just didn't feed on anyone yet and decided to complain about the difficulty regardless.

I'm worried the new difficulty modes ruin the whole point of the game and normal is perfectly balanced to make you have to feed, even if you don't want to.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I have yet to jump in. Hoping to do so in the next week. Can anyone tell me if story mode is worth it or is normal mode good enough when it comes to balance? A lot of people seem to complain that the game is too hard, but then you find out it's because they just didn't feed on anyone yet and decided to complain about the difficulty regardless.

I'm worried the new difficulty modes ruin the whole point of the game and normal is perfectly balanced to make you have to feed, even if you don't want to.

yeah i don't understant that new "story mode".

i've played in normal,and i didn't find it too difficult,as long as you manage you stamina in combat.(hint: yeah it's obviously one of the thing to upgrade first,same in every game with a stamina system actually :D ).
Some bosses can be tough,but hey,that's fair.
And I didn't kill any NPC.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Vampyr Soundtrack available for pre order :CD,signed CD,or Vinyls (two colors)
Red1_Vamp_mockup_front_final_EUR_1024x1024@2x.png

Black1_Vamp_mockup_front_final_USA_2feafe1e-8325-4b04-8248-71bb12cdfc7c_1024x1024@2x.png

Vamp_mockup_CD_1_1024x1024@2x.png

https://blackscreenrecords.com/products/pre-order-vampyr-original-soundtrack-by-olivier-deriviere

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I really like the setting in this , but the performance on ps4 pro held me back. Is it patched already? Can buy this game for around 30 euro, is that a good deal?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I really like the setting in this , but the performance on ps4 pro held me back. Is it patched already? Can buy this game for around 30 euro, is that a good deal?

i've played on ps4 normal and i didn't have any pbs.
Not sure about the performance on ps4 pro.

but yeah for 30 euros,it's very good i think.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I played the whole weekend. Wow, Dontnod knows how to develop characters and write dialogues.

Too bad that not all social hubs open step by step. As a result, the inhabitants are usually in one small area and the conversations are a bit tiring after the second act. But, at the beginning of the fourth act, they found a better balance between dialogue, combat and exploration. Therefore I am looking forward to the next session.

Oct 25, 2017
This is my GOTY so far. Characters, story, dialogue, music, atmosphere....it's amazing. The whole gameplay system is great, it tries something new and it works. I don't care about visuals.
God of War is close .....RDR2 begins strong but it got boring after chapter 3 tbh.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Does Story Mode rebalance the game to put an increased emphasis on character interactions or does it just make combat easier? Same question the other way - is this a game where playing on Hard enhances the experience in terms of systems or economy , or are we just taking harder hitting enemies with more HP?

Any advice on which mode to play would be much appreciated.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Does Story Mode rebalance the game to put an increased emphasis on character interactions or does it just make combat easier? Same question the other way - is this a game where playing on Hard enhances the experience in terms of systems or economy , or are we just taking harder hitting enemies with more HP?

story mode makes combat easier i think.
I don't know about hard mode.
If it makes combat harder,it's better maybe,because you will be more tempted to kill some npcs for some xp boosts.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I would have suggested story mode if they had actually adjusted the hint/quest system to make it easier for players to see everything without messing up/having quest issues, but it does seem it was just combat related.

So my recommendation would just be normal still.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
story mode makes combat easier i think.
I don't know about hard mode.
If it makes combat harder,it's better maybe,because you will be more tempted to kill some npcs for some xp boosts.

I would have suggested story mode if they had actually adjusted the hint/quest system to make it easier for players to see everything without messing up/having quest issues, but it does seem it was just combat related.

So my recommendation would just be normal still.

Thanks for the input. I'll start on Normal and go from there.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Got this for Black Friday and loving it. Doing a pacifist playthrough and it's hard as balls

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I also feel the XP system needs some work, currently if you decide not to feed the game becomes extremely difficult and frustrating, so I've had to feed when I didn't really want to, just so I can progress.

I think this is brilliant game design. The difficulty is directly tied to your morality.

I mean think about it, a Vampire who refuses to feed would have a difficult time getting by, yeah? In the game you can fight your natural instinct to feed, but you'l struggle by doing so. Give in to your natural urges though and you naturally become stronger.

It's pretty genius when you think consider how it all works.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I think this is brilliant game design. The difficulty is directly tied to your morality.

I mean think about it, a Vampire who refuses to feed would have a difficult time getting by, yeah? In the game you can fight your natural instinct to feed, but you'l struggle by doing so. Give in to your natural urges though and you naturally become stronger.

It's pretty genius when you think consider how it all works.
It's a great and novel idea, but then the game commits and own goal and ties the best ending behind disengaging with it's morality/EXP systems. Best endings should be reserved for those who understand the game the best, not those who starve themselves and trudge through combat underleveled.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's a great and novel idea, but then the game commits and own goal and ties the best ending behind disengaging with it's morality/EXP systems. Best endings should be reserved for those who understand the game the best, not those who starve themselves and trudge through combat underleveled.

I haven't finished the game yet so I haven't seen for myself, but are you saying that the 'good' ending is given when you don't kill anyone?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I haven't finished the game yet so I haven't seen for myself, but are you saying that the 'good' ending is given when you don't kill anyone?

i don't think "good ending" is the best way to describe it ,but yeah of course,if you don't kill anyone,you are more on the "good" side,it does makes sense.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
if you don't kill anyone,you are more on the "good" side,it does makes sense.

That's more what I was getting at, and yeah agreed it does make sense.

Jonathan hates what he has become and blames himself for his sisters death. In my run through I'm role-playing that as though he is trying to redeem himself by not killing and making the world around him a better place by using his new gifts. In doing so my playthrough has been harder and I am quite a few levels under most mobs that I fight. Also the game is very good at temping you to feed along the way, sometimes making it hard to resist. I would expect by doing so that I'd get the 'good' ending, whatever that ends up being.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I started this like 3 days ago (got it for Christmas) and I already have 23 hours (just entered Ascalon Club but stopped there for the night), I'm so engrossed.

This is seriously one of the most engrossing game I've played in a long time. Yes, combat can be clunky but it's by no means bad, it's perfectly serviceable (and quite challenging at times even) and I just love the NPC interactions, the gravity of your choices, the world-building, the atmosphere, the heart-breaking (and occasionally bittersweet) moments, the story and voice acting.

This could be recency bias, and maybe the ending will disappoint me or whatever, but it might seriously rank really high as on my GOTY list. Much better than what I expected.

So far, I've only embraced:
Clay Cox (did it when the first option presented itself, kinda regretted it as it seems to have locked me out of some sidequests... oh well)
Sean Hampton (didn't trust this fucker not to turn, and after Nurse Dorothy turned despite me trying to "charm" her, I opted to embrace him instead... give me that sweet XP, plus, fuck religious nutcases :D)
Cadogan Bates (fuuuuck this guy)
Dyson Delaney (cowardly terrorist)
The last two were me just going plain Dexter on their asses. :D I've got my eyes set on that preacher, too, but I don't have the Mesmerize level yet... soon, soon..

Edit: random guess about
it's gonna be his dad or his dad is definitely involved somehow

Last edited:

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I started this like 3 days ago (got it for Christmas) and I already have 23 hours (just entered Ascalon Club but stopped there for the night), I'm so engrossed.

This is seriously one of the most engrossing game I've played in a long time. Yes, combat can be clunky but it's by no means bad, it's perfectly serviceable (and quite challenging at times even) and I just love the NPC interactions, the gravity of your choices, the world-building, the atmosphere, the heart-breaking (and occasionally bittersweet) moments, the story and voice acting.

This could be recency bias, and maybe the ending will disappoint me or whatever, but it might seriously rank really high as on my GOTY list. Much better than what I expected.

Clay Cox (did it when the first option presented itself, kinda regretted it as it seems to have locked me out of some sidequests... oh well)
Sean Hampton (didn't trust this fucker not to turn, and after Nurse Dorothy turned despite me trying to "charm" her, I opted to embrace him instead... give me that sweet XP, plus, fuck religious nutcases :D)
The last two were me just going plain Dexter on their asses. :D I've got my eyes set on that preacher, too, but I don't have the Mesmerize level yet... soon, soon..

This game had a similar effect on me earlier this year. I think, for those who are able to soak in the details and really embrace (heh) the role-playing aspect, this game works really well. I sincerely hope Dontnod is able to build upon this structure for a sequel.

That said, the final act does kind of take the game elsewhere. The most interesting parts of the game for me involved stalking civilians and figuring out who was the most expendable (fuck that preacher, seriously). If the game took place in a tighter-knit community next time, I think role playing as the monster could be divine.

Also, still one of the best soundtracks of the year. I listen to it on Spotify occasionally.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

About your GOTY comment and recency bias: I played it at launch (see my posts scattered throughout this thread) and it's definitely on my GOTY list still. The world, writing, and that music just grabbed me and didn't let go. I actually got so good at the combat (spec for stamina and dance around opponents!) that it didn't bother me by the end. Flawed but I still had more fun playing this than most major AAA releases this year.

I really hope we get a V2!