• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oh also is that Jeremy Irons's voice I heard? It sounded a lot like him... but I dare not check IMDB because of spoilers (lol no)

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
So... I thought I was thorough in investigating all the citizens, I even triggered a lot of eavesdropping events etc. but apparently I missed some crucial hints:
I got to Aloysius Dawson and I had the choice to either turn him into a vampire or kill him. There was a 3rd option, presumably the typical "Charm" option, but it was greyed out and said "hint required", and sure enough I had 0/2 hints for that guy. Any idea where they were?

I wonder if they were in the theatre or not. Earlier in the story I went there and wanted to explore it more thoroughly but I accidentally came across the boss, and it locked me out of the theatre. But I know there's stuff in there that I missed, like I know the side-quest for the Brotherhood journal for that fortune teller dude has to be in there. I have to go back there now for the story so at least I can probably still complete that investigation, but I wonder if I missed some hints for Aloysius earlier. Or were they somewhere else? But if so, where?

In the end I totally murdered Dawson of course. Fuck that guy and fuck those snobbish, imperialistic, elitist, uptight arseholes at Ascalon. :)
After that, back in the hospital,
I had the choice to turn McCullum or to spare him. I spared him, but only verrrrry reluctantly. I would have been so damn satisfying to turn him... xD I kinda regret it already lol. But hopefully there's some reward for that later...

Edit: oh fuck, there's no NG+ mode in this game. I really wanted to replay it by checking out different story choices, but no NG+ makes this a bit of a bummer... :(

Oct 28, 2017
So... I thought I was thorough in investigating all the citizens, I even triggered a lot of eavesdropping events etc. but apparently I missed some crucial hints:
I got to Aloysius Dawson and I had the choice to either turn him into a vampire or kill him. There was a 3rd option, presumably the typical "Charm" option, but it was greyed out and said "hint required", and sure enough I had 0/2 hints for that guy. Any idea where they were?

I wonder if they were in the theatre or not. Earlier in the story I went there and wanted to explore it more thoroughly but I accidentally came across the boss, and it locked me out of the theatre. But I know there's stuff in there that I missed, like I know the side-quest for the Brotherhood journal for that fortune teller dude has to be in there. I have to go back there now for the story so at least I can probably still complete that investigation, but I wonder if I missed some hints for Aloysius earlier. Or were they somewhere else? But if so, where?

In the end I totally murdered Dawson of course. Fuck that guy and fuck those snobbish, imperialistic, elitist, uptight arseholes at Ascalon. :)

His hints came from asking people about him, I only found one and I think that was in the area near the church. The third option is to charm him but the result is pretty much the same as what you got, he dies and you are kicked out of the ascalon club.

After that, back in the hospital,
I had the choice to turn McCullum or to spare him. I spared him, but only verrrrry reluctantly. I would have been so damn satisfying to turn him... xD I kinda regret it already lol. But hopefully there's some reward for that later...

If you spare him he helps you out later on with something in the main quest and he won't attack you anymore.

Edit: oh fuck, there's no NG+ mode in this game. I really wanted to replay it by checking out different story choices, but no NG+ makes this a bit of a bummer... :(

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I finished this just now. Man, the feels... But I'm really wondering about something.

According to some guide I looked up, I had the "worst" ending, the one at the bottom of this list:
https://guides.gamepressure.com/vampyr/guide.asp?ID=45136#NH3_4
But, it says you have to kill just about everyone and condemn every district etc... I only killed a handful of NPCs, and never once let a district turn hostile. What the hell? According to this guide I should have had the 2nd one, or at worst the 3rd one. :(

Can anyone explain this?

Here's the list of NPCs I embraced:

Pembroke:
- Clay Cox
- Edgar Swansea (to put him out of his misery, dammit! I felt bad for the dude)

Docks:
- Seymour Fishburn
- Dyson Delaney
- Sean Hampton

Whitechapel:
- Father Whitaker
- Albert Palmer
- Cadogan Bates

West End:
- Carolyn Price
- Aloysius Dawson
- Carina Billow (to put her out of her misery ;_; )

I also fed on the Vicar during the fight against Mary to prevent her from healing herself. But yeah, never Embraced more than 3 NPC per district. Near the end, some districts were Critical, but not Hostile, and I never saw the Hostile status. So yeah... I don't get it. :( I mean OK I was kind of a monster but not THAT much of a monster, dammit!

Oct 28, 2017
I finished this just now. Man, the feels... But I'm really wondering about something.

According to some guide I looked up, I had the "worst" ending, the one at the bottom of this list:
https://guides.gamepressure.com/vampyr/guide.asp?ID=45136#NH3_4
But, it says you have to kill just about everyone and condemn every district etc... I only killed a handful of NPCs, and never once let a district turn hostile. What the hell? According to this guide I should have had the 2nd one, or at worst the 3rd one. :(

Can anyone explain this?

Here's the list of NPCs I embraced:

Pembroke:
- Clay Cox
- Edgar Swansea (to put him out of his misery, dammit! I felt bad for the dude)

Docks:
- Seymour Fishburn
- Dyson Delaney
- Sean Hampton

Whitechapel:
- Father Whitaker
- Albert Palmer
- Cadogan Bates

West End:
- Carolyn Price
- Aloysius Dawson
- Carina Billow (to put her out of her misery ;_; )

I also fed on the Vicar during the fight against Mary to prevent her from healing herself. But yeah, never Embraced more than 3 NPC per district. Near the end, some districts were Critical, but not Hostile, and I never saw the Hostile status. So yeah... I don't get it. :( I mean OK I was kind of a monster but not THAT much of a monster, dammit!
I'm presuming it's because you embraced
3/4 "pillar" characters (Swansea, Sean and Aloysius). They are the worst people to embrace if you want to keep districts in any way healthy.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I'm presuming it's because you embraced
3/4 "pillar" characters (Swansea, Sean and Aloysius). They are the worst people to embrace if you want to keep districts in any way healthy.
That might be it, but in this case, those guides are definitely wrong. Also all my districts never went hostile, dammit :(

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Out of curiosity, can you still get the "best" ending(s) if you
turn Swansea and McCullum into vampires? That shouldn't count as embracing them, right?

Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity, can you still get the "best" ending(s) if you
turn Swansea and McCullum into vampires? That shouldn't count as embracing them, right?
Turning Swansea is fine for the good ending, not too sure about McCullum since he can actually become hostile later on if you turn him but I guess you could just not kill him if you run into him.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Fear the Old Blood!

38770832B1CBD66C715564044C171E6185EC776B

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Having received the game as birthday present recently is there anything I need to know before jumping into the game ?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while, but if you want a certain conclusion (say a "good ending"), you pretty much have to look up how to handle certain quests/conversations, since you may interpret an action in one way and get surprised when the game interprets it in another.

Oct 28, 2017
Having received the game as birthday present recently is there anything I need to know before jumping into the game ?
As already mentioned if you want the best ending you can't embrace any of the characters, you might need to look up the pillar characters as they aren't as obvious to avoid embracing.

Other than that get the healing ability upgraded, saved my life a bunch of times.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Use your vampire abilities wisely in battle. It will make the combat more efficient and more fun. Exploit enemy weaknesses, and constantly top up your blood meter to use those abilities, as regular melee hits can be weak.

I would recommend playing it blind, it's much more organic this way. You might not get the "best" (aka the most "feel good") ending, but that's OK, the other endings still make up for a good story.

I wish I could give this advice without spoiling some key parts, but... well, I'll spoiler-tag it:
Fuck Dawson over, and turn McCullum. The cut scenes are amazing~

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Alright thanks guys I'll definitely keep that stuff in mind when playing the game.

I'll avoid reading the spoiler as I don't want to ruin any surprises that may come my way while playing

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
What the hell? I updated my PC with new CPU - now i7 4790k, before i5-4460 - a new GPU - GTX1070 vs. GTX970 - and new RAM - 16GB vs. 8GB - and the game runs worse than before? Like, how can that be? Is this a common problem with perfomance in this game?

http:///kIkd.jpg

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
After this got added to Gamepass I decided to give this a try on Xbox One and it started out pretty hopeful, but after a few hours I'm just ready to stop playing.
  • The Micro Managing of districts is already getting annoying. It seems that status will drop at the slightest thing, even if you're 'good' things just keep going to shit and suddenly most of the people in a district will spontaneously develop medical conditions that drastically lower district status, but when cured will not restore it by as much.
  • Getting around is just a pain in the arse. The game world is like a maze and you don't exactly move around very quickly. Everything is ridiculously spread out and the complete lack of any kind of fast travel system means that getting around is a chore. Most vendors aren't really near hide outs, so if you discover you need some components to make a serum/cure/weapon upgrade you've got to spend at least 10-15 minutes going back and forth, maybe longer if the vendor you need is in another district.
  • The constant loading. Oh god the constant loading. Just going from Point A to Point B you can run into 2 loading screens that just completely halt the game for about 10-15 seconds at a time. Maybe the PC version is better but the Xbox version is just ridiculous.
I think I've given the game a more than fair chance by playing up to about the start of Chapter 4, but I think I'm done. I'm just not having fun and I don't see the game improving as I continue given the complaints I have.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
After this got added to Gamepass I decided to give this a try on Xbox One and it started out pretty hopeful, but after a few hours I'm just ready to stop playing.
  • The Micro Managing of districts is already getting annoying. It seems that status will drop at the slightest thing, even if you're 'good' things just keep going to shit and suddenly most of the people in a district will spontaneously develop medical conditions that drastically lower district status, but when cured will not restore it by as much.
  • Getting around is just a pain in the arse. The game world is like a maze and you don't exactly move around very quickly. Everything is ridiculously spread out and the complete lack of any kind of fast travel system means that getting around is a chore. Most vendors aren't really near hide outs, so if you discover you need some components to make a serum/cure/weapon upgrade you've got to spend at least 10-15 minutes going back and forth, maybe longer if the vendor you need is in another district.
  • The constant loading. Oh god the constant loading. Just going from Point A to Point B you can run into 2 loading screens that just completely halt the game for about 10-15 seconds at a time. Maybe the PC version is better but the Xbox version is just ridiculous.
I think I've given the game a more than fair chance by playing up to about the start of Chapter 4, but I think I'm done. I'm just not having fun and I don't see the game improving as I continue given the complaints I have.

Don't sleep until you have a ton of points banked. I never had to micromanage anything because there was nothing to manage- I just cured the districts and then slept so rarely that it was easy every time.

I also didn't have to buy a lot of things, personally, but that may vary based on your skills and weapon and so on.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no achievement for sanitizing a district? There doesn't seem to be one listed, I'll stop trying if that's the case ;)

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Something is seriously messed up with Vampyr and resolutions. If I try playing the game in full screen nothing lines up in the menus. Meaning, I have to move the mouse cursor offset from something I'm trying to click on within the UI...

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Was always interested in the game but didn't think it was worth full price, ended up getting it due to the sale. Still super early but enjoying it despite it going rather slow. I don't know if I have to but I just went around and talked to everyone which is why it probably felt slow lol.

I did however just kill a civilian.
I wasn't planning on killing people but I encountered Clayton Cox who I didn't drain after you first encounter him. I let him live last time even after he killed a guy but I felt like he wasn't gonna change based on what he was saying so I killed him. Didn't expect to hear his thoughts on his life as it ended.

Does every civilian kill hurt the district?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wait what? You can't equip all skills all the time? That kinda sucks, no quick switch either

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
At least it makes building a character easy cause I'll just choose one from each skill option.
Yeah ideally you just want to focus on making a skill stronger, so you can handle all types of damage for various enemies. Depending on how many people you feed on, you might have limited choices in the matter, though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah ideally you just want to focus on making a skill stronger, so you can handle all types of damage for various enemies. Depending on how many people you feed on, you might have limited choices in the matter, though.
Trying to not feed on anyone this time around and then my next playthrough is gonna be a feeding frenzy

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Trying to not feed on anyone this time around and then my next playthrough is gonna be a feeding frenzy
I see! Yeah that'll make your 2nd playthrough much easier haha.

I tried not to feed on TOO many people the first time around but still got the bleakest ending... because I fed on 3 out of 4 pillars lol... oops. All my districts were healthy though, dammit ;_;

In my 2nd playthrough I went full pacifist and XP was much, much harder to come by, but I also knew the game a bit better and spec'ed my character better, so it wasn't too bad.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I see! Yeah that'll make your 2nd playthrough much easier haha.

I tried not to feed on TOO many people the first time around but still got the bleakest ending... because I fed on 3 out of 4 pillars lol... oops. All my districts were healthy though, dammit ;_;

In my 2nd playthrough I went full pacifist and XP was much, much harder to come by, but I also knew the game a bit better and spec'ed my character better, so it wasn't too bad.
Not checking the spoiler but feeding on a single person doesnt net you the best ending? That's a little silly

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Not checking the spoiler but feeding on a single person doesnt net you the best ending? That's a little silly
Well, endings aren't really "best" or "worst" so much as "optimistic" to "bleak" I guess. I don't think you can get the "most optimistic" ending if you Embrace anyone, no. Combat feeding doesn't count in this, btw, just Embraces.

There are four endings (those are just vague descriptors, no story spoilers, but tagging just in case):
1- Most optimistic/feel-good
2- Relatively optimistic, slightly bittersweet
3- Bleak
4- Dark as fvck

#2 and #3 are variants of the other two (#2 is a slightly more bittersweet variant of #1, and #3 is a sad, but much less dark, variant of #4(), I didn't get them by playing, just youtubed them after beating the game twice since they're too similar anyway.

I got #4 without trying for it the first time... lol. I looked up the endings after beating it the first time and the guides telling you how to get this are completely wrong. To get ending #4 I killed 3 out of 4 Pillars, and a very tiny handful of Citizens, and I never let a single district collapse. Guides telling you that you need to kill everyone and let districts collapse are wrong.

To get ending #1 I went full pacifist, didn't Embrace anyone, but (ACTUAL STORY SPOILER) I turned McCullum into a vampire and it was fucking glorious and dark as fuck haha. Turning doesn't count towards ending outcomes at all, just Embracing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Turning? What about skills where you embrace people in combat?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Turning? What about skills where you embrace people in combat?
Re: Turning (slight/vague story spoiler): You'll have, through story choices, a few opportunities to "turn" specific humans into vampires. If you choose to do so, it won't affect the endings (but Embracing them will).

None of the combat abilities affect the ending. Only Embracing Citizens and possibly letting districts turn hostile.

Edit: honestly though, don't worry too much about the endings! You can always youtube them if you don't get the one you want ;) but the only guaranteed way to get the most "optimistic" ending is simply to not Embrace any Citizen ever. In your 2nd playthrough just have fun slaughtering everyone ;)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Woah this game wasn't a hit yeah? It's pretty good.

Been playing for 8 hours so far, and most stuff it's really great. Atmosphere, characters, story, mechanics etc. I'm actually impressed that it takes the "Little sister from Bioshock" approach of embracing is faster, but actually makes you feel thirsty for blood if you don't embrace people. I've only embraced one and the game sometimes becomes harder. The thing is that I thought that it was better to not embrace people but I found out that sometimes it is actually better to do it in order to help a district. That caught me off guard and since you can't go back, welp, being underleveled in a hostile territory is MAD.

One thing I don't like is the hitbox... sometimes the animation shows that I evaded a hit but get hit anyway a meter away and it gets so frustrating. Really good game outside of this. I'm surprised it didn't got more attention. It's a sort of hidden gem so far

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Yeah ! one of us !
I liked Vampyr ! it's flawed ,but the atmosphere,story,music and voice acting are <3

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Alright, I'm at

Right after being initiated in the Ascalon Club and started the investigation on the sources of infection. Can't wait to eat the rich

I'm quite underleveled though. At level 19 and finding enemies quite above my level. I guess I have no other option than to mesmerize some people