• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
oaBVW05.png

Developer: Dontnod Entertainment | Publisher: Focus Home Interactive | Official Site | PS4/Xbox One/ PC (Steam, Humble, GMG)
Behind-The-Scenes Webseries
: Making Monsters | Architects of the Obscure | Human After All | Stories from the Dark
53 minute gameplay stream w/developer commentary (about six hours into the game)
Review thread

RvxMmhC.png

CxBQP1a.png

SopHYyW.png

Last edited:

Darkmark1987

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Preordered this but really on the fence. Game seems to have little buzz and with the reviews only hitting tomorrow, wondering if its better to wait for player feedback

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the look of the preorder outfit. Seems way more fitting for a London vampire trying to say concealed

Preordered this but really on the fence. Game seems to have little buzz and with the reviews only hitting tomorrow, wondering if its better to wait for player feedback
Most of the early impressions in the other threads have been pretty positive

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
lmpressions sound good, world looks very interesting, don't mind me some jank if the game even has it. Gonna pick this up on Steam unless reviews somehow turn out disastrous.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy pre-ordered, pretty excited. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, and be conscious of where this game will and won't succeed. The launch trailer showed me some pretty terrible animations, but if the storytelling is as good as Life is Strange, that will more than make up for it.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Impressions from the Hype and Launch Trailer threads
Okay, first impressions are it is a lot more Bloodlines than I even expected. Solid writing. Solid story so far. Excellent world and atmosphere. This thing is designed for multiple playthroughs for sure.

Troika fans are going to love this... 100%, It's the closest game weve ever had since that experience so far. However, I think it is going to be a very marmite game and I can see it scoring a 7 purely because of it's 'gameplay' not being traditional. There are elements like the combat being almost tacked on, but then I felt the same about Bloodlines, and when everything else is really good.... you know where this is going. It is probably going to review and sell much like Bloodlines did for exactly the same reasons? But become a cult hit. That is my instinct anyways. We will see if it holds up until the end of the game but so far I am impressed and engrossed.

I honestly think were going to have endless threads like 'the witcher 3 has bad conbat' hyperbole x9000
Finished it up for review. It is interesting timing to see a game like this and Detroit come out so near one another. I like how both are doing a ton of things with narrative and branching storytelling. Hope to see it continue
Playing/reviewing it at present. Can't/won't say anything due to embargo except this: one of the hardest but most interesting games I've had to write up about since I started reviewing games. I have a lot to say that's for certain, so now it's a case of trying one's best to translate that into half-decent, coherent text. Thoughts/feelings/opinions are a tad more all over the place...but that's not inherently a bad thing.
Combat is a important aspect. I would say you it's 50% combat and 50% investigations and dialogues.
Actually there are almost no Stealth abilities. Of course you can run away from enemies.

Very cool. All NPCs are unique and people are connected to other people. And if you kill them, this will affect the district. I have lost a whole district because a key human died. I don't know if this was story relevant or so. But there was still stuff to do. Was very surprised. And yeah, there are many choices to make.
Played for an hour now.

So far, I absolutely love it.
The atmosphere is fantastic and the whole game is so interesting, I can't wait to play more and find out how everything works. You can see all the important people of the town in your menu and how good their blood is, what the family relationships are, if they are sick and many more. It's great.
But, I play it on the X and the performance is really janky, the performance is dropping left and right, right from the start and you can clearly see that this is not an AAA game by any means. But it's also nothing that really bothers me so far, it's not dropping to 20 fps for a long time or any like that, it's more like when you move and turn the camera fast it drops a bit for a second or 2 and you can just feel that. My best comparison would be that graphically and technically, it reminds me so much on the first The Evil Within. Specially graphically.
At least the resolution and/or anti aliasing is top notch. No flimmering at all, always razor sharp in 1080p super sampling and 100% clean, this is a great thing.

Can't wait to play more!
so, played around 3 hours. if you are interested you can expect:

- much (!) talking with branching options
- unique NPC´s
- the goal is to find out who they are, what they think and if they could be a target to satisfy your lust for blood or if you help them with their problems
-sidequests popping up through conversations
-very moody atmosphere
-great ambiance
-servicable, fast combat with melee and distance weapons
-many skills and decisions what to skill
-fitting soundtrack
-a very unique game

if you like RPG´s with a touch of action i would say this is a no brainer. really enjoying the conversations in the game, it is very in depth stuff. Sometimes you will feel like a vampire Sherlock trying to piece together informations and connections between NPC´s. i am pleased so far!

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The fact that XP can only be gained by draining people is interesting, though slightly annoying. It's weird to have a progression system that's also a moral choice. If you want to be "good" and avoiding killing any civilians, you won't be able to level up.

I'd almost rather they have the thirst be something of a survival mechanic. The longer you go without feeding, the weaker you get and eventually you die. Feeding itself wouldn't be a choice but choosing who to feed on would.

Of course, I haven't actually played it yet so maybe feeding isn't the only way to get XP?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Have they reconciled the "victims matter" with "kill 20 enemies in a single combat encounter" yet? Or have any previews spoken of it? Because that sort of dissonance will really undermine whatever moral Vampyr's trying to have.
The name always reminds me of that kid on Buffy who used to correct how everyone said "vampire".

Will keep an eye on it and see how things look after it comes out.
tumblr_mdpiu28qb41qh01r8o1_500.gif

rumplestilts

May 30, 2018
The fact that XP can only be gained by draining people is interesting, though slightly annoying. It's weird to have a progression system that's also a moral choice. If you want to be "good" and avoiding killing any civilians, you won't be able to level up.

I'd almost rather they have the thirst be something of a survival mechanic. The longer you go without feeding, the weaker you get and eventually you die. Feeding itself wouldn't be a choice but choosing who to feed on would.

Of course, I haven't actually played it yet so maybe feeding isn't the only way to get XP?
They said that it's not the ONLY way, but it is definitely the easiest way. You'll be at a significant combat disadvantage if you're not killing NPCs.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Have they reconciled the "victims matter" with "kill 20 enemies in a single combat encounter" yet? Or have any previews spoken of it? Because that sort of dissonance will really undermine whatever moral Vampyr's trying to have.
Hunters and other vampires aren't your victims

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder, can you feed on animals or things? I could see that being an interesting mechanic, especially if it gives you much less xp or whatever feeding does in the game.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

While I do agree feeding to not die of hunger fits within the vampire lore, I don't think it would be a great gameplay mechanic - it could feel like you're playing while on a timer which is probably my most hated mechanic in games. Feeding in this game is pretty much still a survival mechanic though.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017

You also gain a bit of XP with combats, investigating and side quests. But it's a really small amount compared to a juicy citizen. You'll be able to gain some abilities at first without feeding but at some point it'll become really hard if you chose to not feed.

I didn't understand this criticism in the previews. Can't speak about the game itself that much due to embargo but the game doesn't tell you that the NPCs "matter" in that sense. In fact, the games keeps telling / reminding you to feed on citizens to grow stronger, that you are no longer a human but a monster and humans are now your preys, ... You can care about them by making side quests for them, healing them, ... but I'd say it's more to maintain a good health statut on the district AND to have even more XP when feeding on them.

Last edited:

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I'm very on the fence about this game. I loved Life is Strange, but the setting and genre do nothing for me. Hoping to hear some impressions from Life is Strange fans in here.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great OT. Don't think I'll play this one instantly, but I'll definitely check it out later down the line. Nice to see all of the good impressions so far.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I really want to know how good the writing is on this. If it's actually good, I'll be there day one.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I am going into this game not giving a fuck about the citizens, I just want to feed on every single one of them, I'm a monster in this game ffs lol! Then again I know I will probably be affected by some of them and start to care, who knows, maybe I'll find my humanity and spare a few?

I can already feel this game getting under my skin (no pun).

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point length and story are my biggest concerns. If they're good, I'll keep my copy on Monday rather than return it.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Does anyone playing it know how to water the plant in the room?

I just keep getting "this plant needs water or it'll die"

Nice Life is Strange callback

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Does anyone playing it know how to water the plant in the room?

I just keep getting "this plant needs water or it'll die"

Nice Life is Strange callback

Lol!
In LiS I killed my plant because I gave it too much water, I wonder if the same thing could happen here or maybe it's just a nice little easteregg

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
I got the game early and I'm really enjoying it so far.

The story and the setting pulled me right in.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
How strict is the ticking clock in terms of eating?

I imagine I would like to explore all my options before committing to a kill and I hate timers in games, especially my rpgs

Oct 30, 2017
Love the title so much, brilliant ;-)

Good OP, so hyped for the game since the announcement.. we need more games like these.

Can't wait to get my hands on my copy the upcoming weekend.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
While I do agree feeding to not die of hunger fits within the vampire lore, I don't think it would be a great gameplay mechanic - it could feel like you're playing while on a timer which is probably my most hated mechanic in games. Feeding in this game is pretty much still a survival mechanic though.

I don't mind time limits if they make sense with the gameplay and setting. Time limits made sense in the Dead Rising games and added a sense of urgency that made your choices all the more meaningful. They didn't make sense in Commandos 3 which was supposed to be a stealth game. If I'm playing a vampire game, I'd be okay with a time limit on feeding. It would really reinforce the power of the thirst and how it is the driving force for vampires.

It's not really dissonant at all. Enemy vampires and hunters are hostile and will attack you on sight. In most cases, you kill them as a matter of self-defense. They don't qualify as "victims" by any definition of the word.

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
wow, had totally missed this was coming out so soon. Now it makes sense seeing that "No Vampyr hype?" thread pop up.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nice OT! I probably won't get this right away (backlog and Dark Souls Remastered... yeahhh), but it's nice that impressions are positive, and the gameplay I've seen looks fine, not Bloodborne obviously but still serviceable enough for a good story.

I have been wanting a proper vampire game since the last Legacy of Kain, hopefully this sucks me right in.

I'll see myself out...

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
At this point length and story are my biggest concerns. If they're good, I'll keep my copy on Monday rather than return it.

Right there with you.
I'm expecting it to be short, considering its price is $50 on Steam (rather than $60) prior to the pre-order discount.

Any known XBX enhancements? 4K? HDR? FPS?

Curious as to this myself.
The official Xbox One X Enhancement list mentions the patch is "Coming Soon" (launch date, perhaps?) but no details have been provided, as far as I know.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Interesting, but OT is kinda lacking info what kind of game this is. Is it 3rd person action slasher? Is it RPG? Is it kind of narrative style game? Detective?