• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
is some hot bullshit. Unless you drain the NPC, she gets essentially a second health bar. Her melee attacks seem to follow me through dodges and the blood clot attacks are brutal. I'm spending the whole fight waiting for my ult to recharge because I keep running out of blood in spite of my melee weapon having a blood draining modification. Granted, I'm only level 13 and she's level 21, but I feel scared to level up because I don't want the night to progress and the districts to go down a level. And it's complete bullshit that serums don't refill after you die when ammunition does.

I just feel stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

I think I was level 14 when I beat her. The key is to play safe. Don't waste any ammo/syringes/blood on the first phase of the fight. If you time your dodges correctly, you can get a safe hit every time she attacks. If you have ranged abilities, you can also get easy hits when she's charging up one of her AoEs. Also, shotgun. You should be looking to upgrade that as quickly as possible because it does a ridiculous amount of damage.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
I've periodically checked back in on this game since I was a bit interested. I hadn't heard anything about this, but has anyone been talking about the fairly huge downgrade ?

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technical downgrade for sure, but the game is brighter (still very dark and it's already difficult to see as it is, so that's a positive change) and the faces are much better now.
I don't see a reason for outrage (plus the game is too niche to have Destiny-level of exposure).

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Ok, it's obnoxious as hell that you can't upgrade your abilities without advancing to the next night. I had 7,500 XP after the boss fight I previously mentioned, but it moved the clock forward afterwards. I spend my XP, and it advances the clock again and I lose 2 districts.

Is there a way to get a district back from being hostile?

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, it's obnoxious as hell that you can't upgrade your abilities without advancing to the next night. I had 7,500 XP after the boss fight I previously mentioned, but it moved the clock forward afterwards. I spend my XP, and it advances the clock again and I lose 2 districts.

Is there a way to get a district back from being hostile?
Nope the districts are gone forever. I noticed that early and I was always spending additional time to heal all the NPC's at the beginning of each new chapter.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Nope the districts are gone forever. I noticed that early and I was always spending additional time to heal all the NPC's at the beginning of each new chapter.

Well that's bullshit. Now I feel I ought to just uninstall the game and restart it in a few months if I already know I'm on track for a bad ending halfway through the game.

You're a doctor,so you need to treat people.That's one of the feature of the game :)

Yeah, it'd be awesome if the game actually encouraged you to do it and didn't make backtracking and crafting a bunch of meds so cumbersome and tedious.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've periodically checked back in on this game since I was a bit interested. I hadn't heard anything about this, but has anyone been talking about the fairly huge downgrade ?

Everything is subject to change, going from pre-alpha to release, and I still think the game looks decent for what it is.

2016 Jonathan didn't look like a vampire to me. I don't think the hair and beard look as good now but at least his eyes and skin sell it better now.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Everything is subject to change, going from pre-alpha to release, and I still think the game looks decent for what it is.

2016 Jonathan didn't look like a vampire to me. I don't think the hair and beard look as good now but at least his eyes and skin sell it better now.
I agree that the main character looks more like a vampire, whether that's good or bad as looking like a vampire would just make everyone immediately suspect you lol. But Man that original look had a much better atmosphere imo, almost like Bloodborne or The Order.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think I'm about to finish Chapter 3. The game's narrative is really starting to take off, new enemy archetypes have been added into the mix, and I'm really starting to feel confident during combat now. Doing a no-kill run and just hit L14. Having a lot of fun with this now.

I've played for probably 15h now and I think I can safely call it my sleeper hit of the year. So glad someone here made the Alpha Protocol comparison (flawed combat but interesting choice-based narrative with impactful repercussions) when the game launched because that really sold me on it.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
The game was super rough in the beginning but I'm now at chapter 3 and I'm beginning to appreciate it a lot despite the little quirks and jank. It's extremely immersive at times and I love uncovering the stories for the NPC's. Struggling a bit with some of the combat but feeding on some of the morally corrupt NPC's helps with the difficulty. I think the more I feed on people and the stronger I get, the more I'm inclined to go after some of the good NPC's which is kinda an interesting psychological aspect of me as a player because I went in to this game not wanting to kill anyone unless they were inherently evil. The thirst for power/blood is real. :)

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have just got to chapter 4 and the West End, and prior to this, I never felt pushed in any way to kill any NPCs for experience. The additional enemy types however are punishingly difficult, especially now, prior to upgrading my main weapons to rank 4.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say I really appreciate Jonathan's dedication to the whole vampire aesthetic in the way he goes "BLAAAAAARGGGGHHHRRR" every time you eat a rat :P

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Man I had quite some fun playing through this game for about 38 hours so far, but atm I'm a bit stuck on the endboss. I wiped two times and now I'm out of (mats for) serums. Anybody got any tips on how to get more mats easily? Backtracking around the map to visit vendors is something I'd rather not do, but I guess I have to.
I only have like 1400 shillings. I went through the map pretty thoroughly and made too many excess medicine, so going over respawning loot containers is my other unattractive option I guess. I wonder why the dev decided to implement a proper checkpoint system, but then don't let the player keep the consumables they had when the checkpoint was created.

I'm lvl 29, so I guess I could also embrace a couple of more folks before retrying the boss and make that encounter easier (or will the boss's level always remain a bit higher than the player?). But I'm having a hard time deciding on who to embrace now, as none of the options seem to be very bad people. I embraced 3 people so far: racist land lord, the patient that thinks she's a vampire, and the murdering son of the old woman in the docks.

I also hardly invested xp in my blood meter, which never was a problem before. But possibly is a problem now?

Last edited:

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck me,
i charmed Dorthy thinking it would make her forget about the blackmailing, while still keeping her clinic running and taking care of the Whitechapel district. The next day she went missing and i found her as a skall at her place
I feel awful and somewhat annoyed because the wording was not clear enough in my opinion, but i guess it makes sense because we are still new to being vampires and we don't know our full capabilities.

Last edited:

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Fuck me,
i charmed Dorthy thinking it would make her forget about the blackmailing, while still keeping her clinic running and taking care of the Whitechapel district. The next day she went missing and i found her as a skall at her place
I feel awful.

Yeah I had the same thing lol. Really seemed to be one of the good options based on the description.
The district can still easily remain stable though.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I had the same thing lol. Really seemed to be one of the good options based on the description.
The district can still easily remain stable though.
Good to hear, i was afraid that losing the pillar of the district would be disastrous. Would i still be able to get a good ending if i'm going for a peaceful run?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Finishing chapter 2 now; just finished that choice having been thankfully spoiled for it, though having reached it I very likely wouldn't have picked it anyway.

Though I am really confused by...
The handling of Darius guarding the door. When you find the letter it acts like you just gained the option to manipulate him to open the door but... you don't even mention it? And meanwhile there's a mesmerize option, but it's locked by needing level 2... which you literally can't get till after that point, right? Is that just to show that mesmerizing people to get in is a valid option? Why not just require you to do it, then...?

Meanwhile: increasingly frustrated at how shitty the game is about handling side quests. It's minor but I'm sora infuriated by it?

Why do quest descriptions only have 2 states: "I found the item before meeting the person" and "the person told me about the item I should get"? Why does it update to the second as soon as I talk to them while having the item, even if they didn't tell me about the quest? Why is there no version for "I have the quest and now have the item they wanted"? Hell, why is there no version for "I completed the quest and this is how things turned out", either? I could also point out how ridiculous it is that when you turn in the quest it always acts like you were told about it despite the first version of the description existing (which means the devs definitely expected you finding items early), instead of blocking you from turning in till you learn about if they could only afford to do one version of the voice acting or whatever, but at least that could have that reason behind it and would take extra work to implement. Different descriptions would just mean an extra paragraph or two of text for each quest, if not just a line or two more added on, and it's not like the descriptions are amazingly written anyway! Such a relatively small amount of work that could make this experience a lot better.

This is the second time this has happened to me and what's worse is now I have a choice of who to give the item to, with 0 idea as to what the result will be. It would help if the checklist for the quest at least indicated why you'd go to them, but the only time it was ever that specific is the time I learned quests were binary choices to begin with, so it wasn't even helpful then, and no quest since has had more than "give the _ to _" compared to that quest's actual sentence about what you'd be doing.

Specifically, I found the recruiter's note for Albert Palmer on the way to meeting him for the first time - which, frankly, should be the expectation, given where the Skal is placed. In talking to him there seems to have been no mention of him waiting for a recruiter yet, unless it was an offhand line. So I'm not sure if giving it to him means he'll try again to join, or he'll be better, or what. Meanwhile his father has offered absolutely 0 comments on the Wet Boot Boys, so I have no idea if the point of giving the note to him instead is a good thing to keep his son away from crime or to explain his son felt forced to steal his pills, or if it's more along the lines of "your son's up to some shit" and it's going to end poorly. I can't tell if I should just wait till I get more hints or if I need the quest to get those hints.

I could just Google this but... ugh, I wish the game didn't do shit like this because I've spent more time thinking about it now when I could just be playing the game.

For a game all about finding minor information on people, it's fucking annoying how bad it is about handling this actual important information!

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game level 31. The final boss was easy and only took me 1 try.

I got a bad ending... even though I didn't kill that many people. I looked up the endings I missed because... I'd never want to play that game again. It was good, but incredibly tedious. The running from place to place and always fighting teh same kind of enemies really wore on me towards the end. I found myself using the stealth skill to avoid a lot of combat.

I finished the game with a full upgraded True Dragonbane and a pump action shotgun that did ~700 fire damage with 3 shots. Pretty damn strong combination.

It was a decent game. Solid 7/10. I just wish it had fast travel and maybe ways to mix up the combat because after level 10, it really didn't change much at all. Just had to fight more difficult enemies.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Another small complaint, but- why do the descriptions of resell value on items even exist given how inaccurate they are? Is it based on merchant or something?

I have "average" resale value items that sell for 18 shillings, and also ones that sell for 16, or even 1 shilling. Meanwhile "good" ones might be 12, or "high" 16, and so on. And there are good ones also at 16, so there's some overlap even beyond "average".

If it's a range or something, why would "average" cover everywhere from above "high" to below "low"?

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rarely ever sold anything anyways. I never once couldn't afford something I wanted to buy... except Milton's shotgun early on in the game. By the end, I had more than enough money to buy enough upgrade parts to fully upgrade like 4 more weapons if I wanted.

So.... kinda weird that selling is a thing at all. But I guess they wanted more aspects of the economy to be affected by the health of the region.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
FInished it and didn't kill anyone.(but still some npc died :( ).
I think i've got the "best" good ending.
Game was good,with some flaws there and there.
Some great characters in the game.

a solid 7/10 for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Got the platinum. Eating everyone was so cathartic. Loading screen: the game would be a more appropriate title for this. It's ridiculous how many loading screens you hit moving between areas.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm at the end of Chapter 4, I don't feel like it's dragging at all. Maybe there's a lot more to Chapter 4 and I'm wrong in thinking I'm reaching the end, but so far I'm glad that I'm still enjoying it. Even turned off the HUD and that made me appreciate the traversal a bit more as well.

I hope they stick with the current storyline until the end, though. My biggest issue with this game, when it comes to the narrative, is that it feels like they want to tell every vampire story in the world in a single game:

Oh shit, this lady is kind of shady, I don't trust her, Reid doesn't seem to either, even without my input. Oh nevermind, 5 minutes later and we're besties.

Hmm, interesting, I love to see new vampires coming to terms with who they are now, and the different ways they can react to it. Oh nevermind, it's relative-who's-also-a-vampire time, no time for self discovery. Wait, are they introducing the secret society already? Oh we're going there, ok.

It's hard to actually care about the story when it doesn't give me time to. I can appreciate it, and I am finding it interesting, especially considering I'm still reading every note I find, it's a pretty cool world, but I can't say I care all that much for the fate of any character, organization or even the town itself. That's only in the main quest, though. The side content tells appropriate stories for the amount of time you spend with it.

EDIT: ~22 hours into the game, btw. I'm not doing all quests or anything, a lot of NPCs I didn't even speak to yet, so I'm assuming the last few chapters won't take as long as the first 4.

Got the platinum. Eating everyone was so cathartic. Loading screen: the game would be a more appropriate title for this. It's ridiculous how many loading screens you hit moving between areas.
I only have loading screens when I'm entering certain buildings or the sewers for a closed off dungeon. I don't find it an issue, personally.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, got another hint locked off due to a dialogue choice.

I wish either of the hints I lost like this actually felt like the dialogue choice mattered or would impact the person enough to get them to lock up about it, rather than sounding exactly like the kind of dialogue choice where I could repeatedly take a different approach. With quest choices I can sorta get it; here I really don't.

And I've had two quests now where it's listed that I have the choice to lie to the quest giver. I can sorta see why the first one had that (keep an item for yourself, not that it would be valued at much) but this latter one I'm hoping dialogue explains cause it's pretty unclear as is.

Oct 25, 2017
I only have loading screens when I'm entering certain buildings or the sewers for a closed off dungeon. I don't find it an issue, personally.

When you get to the end game stuff you'll basically be doing nothing but wanting to move between areas as quickly as possible (the game also keeps having objectives on the opposite end of the map) so you spend most of the time constantly dashing and being hit with loading screens. At least on PS4 anyway.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand another hint locked. I wish there was at least some signaling of WHY you'd lose it; why would being comforting in this way make me lose it?

Telling him he made a mistake is a problem? Was I supposed to tell him he also died or that it was wrong or what? Does he reveal something while pissed off? I don't understand this.

Oct 25, 2017
When you get to the end game stuff you'll basically be doing nothing but wanting to move between areas as quickly as possible (the game also keeps having objectives on the opposite end of the map) so you spend most of the time constantly dashing and being hit with loading screens. At least on PS4 anyway.
Wait, loading screens while you're running? Not interacting with any doors?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I Finish the Game and Still think I doesn't Worth 40$

I wish i wait for the last sale this yearto get it Instead of Day 1

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Finished the game last night, took me 45-50 hours. Apart of the slow opening hour I got into the groove of the game quickly and knew I wanted to finish it. I really liked playing this; the social sim aspect especially. Going around the gloomy city as a doctor to get to know the population never got old for me. I kept discovering new thingies right up until the end. And on top of that to play a gentleman, so cool! Combat is a bit wonky, but serviceable.

For part 2 I'd love to see a rework of the combat (tighter please!) and the player progression system. What I mean by the latter is that I would love it if Dontnod would somehow make the citizens, monsters and guards part of the same ecosystem to a larger extent. So guards are also citizens that live somewhere, and the monsters used to be citizens that became monsters due to things happening both inside and outside the player's (direct) control. I dunno, it just felt a bit strange to have two separate pools of npc's; one that can influence the status of neighborhoods and one that cannot (reflected by the amount of xp you get for killing them). Might be too much to ask in full, but at least have some citizens that can become a guard or a monster because of player interaction in exploration, questing, conversations and/or combat (and allow for multiple approaches/outcomes). Such a situation took place once in my playthrough, but it felt very much out of my control and defeating him wasn't much different from killing any other random mob in the end. So a even more like an Obsidian game for part 2 is what I'm saying :P

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Meet the voice actors:

But SPOILERS !

Anthony Howell - Jonathan Reid
Harry Hadden-Paton - Clarence/Ichabod/LordFinney/Swansea
Christina Cole - Carol/Loretta/Sabrina/Thelma Beatriz
Romilly - OldBridget/Pippa/TheWife/Venus/Stella
Tim Watson - Barrett/Jacques/Kimura/Myrddin/Strickland/Thoreau/Tom
Jamie Blackley - Albert/LordHutchinson/Martin/Mortimer/RookieTimmy/Rufus/VengefulEkon
Nick Blood - Agamemnon/Harry/LordHamersley/Pericles/PriwenGuard/PriwenGuard2/Thomas
Gareth O'Connor - Clay/Enforcer Jack/Lord Sheffield/William
Katherine Kingsley - Ashbury/Camellia/Giselle/Hunter Katherine
Su Douglas - Emelyne/Enid/Gwyneth/Harriet
Natasha Little - Beatrice/Carolyn/Doris/Edwina
Antony Byrne - Calhoun/EnforcerGraham/Harvey/Joe
Rebecca Gethings - Charlotte/Cristina/Hsiao/Lottie/Morrigan
Simon Furness - Charles/Marshal/Redgrave/Tobias/Waverley
Ackroyd Mark Monero - Clayton/HunterAdam/Milton/PriwenGuard/Rodney
Anna Koval - Carina/Dorothy/FamilyDaughter/Louise
Jonathan forbes - Dyson/Oswald/Sean
Ben Peel - McCullum/Newton/Preacher/ShepherdJeremy
Jamie Zubairi - Rakesh
Alec Newman - Benjamin/Mason/Richard/Booth
David Acton - Cadogan/Darius/Usher
David Sterne - Aloysius/Archer/ArthurPembleton/Avery/Corcoran

they did a really good job.

It's weird,i can't find the VA for
Mary Reid

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meet the voice actors:

But SPOILERS !

Jamie Blackley - Albert/LordHutchinson/Martin/Mortimer/RookieTimmy/Rufus/VengefulEkon
Nick Blood - Agamemnon/Harry/LordHamersley/Pericles/PriwenGuard/PriwenGuard2/Thomas
Jamie Zubairi - Rakesh

Mary Reid

Cool channel, gonna watch more videos. :)

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Meet the voice actors:

But SPOILERS !

Jamie Zubairi - Rakesh

Mary Reid

That's cool. The voice acting was definitely a standout quality of the game. It's interesting how many of the voiced characters look like their voice actors.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Wait...Looking at the VA

so she can speak?
I've finished the game,and i didn't see this.