• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
This is when I would beat the shit out of the suspect and break both his arms and legs since the judicial system failed big time if it happened to my sister.

Who am I kidding I would have done it anyway. And then watch me get a longer sentence for assault causing bodily harm than that guy for rape.

This sort of reaction is why women don't tell their fathers and brothers when they have been a victim of rape. Not only do they have to deal with the trauma that they have been through, but now they also have to worry about their male relatives getting hurt and going to prison. When a woman is raped she'll want your support, not your violence.

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Advocating violence/murder
Someone needs a rusty prison shank in his two weeks. This isn't s boy or a man, this is a fucking monster.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baffling sentence for a violent rape. What makes it even more crazy is that he is a repeat offender. So clearly he is a danger to other girls or women.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
C'mon guys, how will he become a Supreme Court judge if he has to go to jail? I know this is Canada, btw.

Two psychologists ordered by the court to provide reports both rated the youth a low risk to reoffend, Meyers noted, but both said they had little information to base their assessment on, as the youth had been instructed by his lawyer not to speak to them about the offences, pending
an appeal.

Yeah, he won't do it again, I think? Maybe? I don't know?

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
two weeks is an ultra light sentence for such a heinous crime

question though, is the canadian justice system geared more towards punishment or rehabilitation? just curious.

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
two weeks is an ultra light sentence for such a heinous crime

question though, is the canadian justice system geared more towards punishment or rehabilitation? just curious.

The justice system in Canada is very rehabilitation focused, jail sentences in general are light. This is especially true for young persons.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The justice system in Canada is very rehabilitation focused, jail sentences in general are light. This is especially true for young persons.

Yeah, unlike America we don't just throw people in jail and lose the key.

I'm Canada, we have three principles: deterrence, punishment and rehabilitation. He received basically the maximum punitive sentence he can receive and there isn't much of a deterrent effect to throwing him in jail for 10 years as teens don't commit the crimes he did. He was not tried as an adult and the crown didn't apparently push for that.

In short, this judgment has absolutely nothing to do with the judge. It always blows me away when people throw judges under the bus not understanding what their actual jobs are. If you want to be mad at someone, you should be mad at the crown for not pushing for a harder time or the legislature for treating this obviously odious offender as a child.

I'm a lawyer who has worked with judges on sentencing criminal offenders. It is an insanely difficult job and most judges know they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, unlike America we don't just throw people in jail and lose the key.

I'm Canada, we have three principles: deterrence, punishment and rehabilitation. He received basically the maximum punitive sentence he can receive and there isn't much of a deterrent effect to throwing him in jail for 10 years as teens don't commit the crimes he did. He was not tried as an adult and the crown didn't apparently push for that.

In short, this judgment has absolutely nothing to do with the judge. It always blows me away when people throw judges under the bus not understanding what their actual jobs are. If you want to be mad at someone, you should be mad at the crown for not pushing for a harder time or the legislature for treating this obviously odious offender as a child.

I'm a lawyer who has worked with judges on sentencing criminal offenders. It is an insanely difficult job and most judges know they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The judge spoke ya know.

We have his words.

There's no bus here

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The judge spoke ya know.

We have his words.

There's no bus here

The judge is bound by law to outline ALL mitigating and aggravating features of the case. Omitting them opens up the case for appeal, so if he made no reference to the societal punishment that would just make the decision easier to appeal.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Judge Meyers found the teen has already faced social ramifications after being shunned from the community and not being able to graduate high school with his peers, which contributed to his sentencing.
Yeah no, this judge and this rapist fuck shoudl've been dealt with harsher.

Goddamn pathetic.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
So in essence, being a repeat offender is what got him this lenient sentence? What kind of backwards shit is that? Smh.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The judge is bound by law to outline ALL mitigating and aggravating features of the case. Omitting them opens up the case for appeal, so if he made no reference to the societal punishment that would just make the decision easier to appeal.
You sure about that?

Judge Meyers found the teen has already faced social ramifications after being shunned from the community and not being able to graduate high school with his peers, which contributed to his sentencing.

These are the things he kept in mind. That factored into the 2 weeks

Oct 25, 2017
no
but what was she we--

Nah, can't do it. Seriously, the hell is this shit. Two weeks and a high probability that he'll do it again (as he has already), and the poor girl is pretty well traumatized for life.

Awesome.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He only got two weeks AND he was a repeat offender? The hell?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
That is disappointingly short I agree. The Justice system in any country throws up these type of sentences occasionally and they are baffling every time.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I wish the article outlined the sentence, whether it included pre-sentence custody.

In Canada a youth sentence can't be longer than 2 years in most cases, sometimes 3.

It's up to the crown to make an application to have the youth sentenced as an adult.

2 weeks is ludicrous.

Edit: the following article provides more details https://www.nsnews.com/news/teen-jailed-just-two-weeks-for-violent-sex-assault-1.23476809

It sounds to me he received the maximum sentence of 3 years in custody. The way custody works for youth is that they serve 2\3 in jail and 1\3 in the community under supervision. Most likely he served the bulk of the in custody portion awaiting trial. judge really had no other option.

Prosecutor should've asked for an adult sentence.

This should be on the OP.

It's not about the judge but about the laws. Sad

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt he's bound by law to say well only 2 weeks because you didn't graduate with your buds.

Actually he is. He gave the maximum sentence of 3 years.

Refusing to understand the situation doesn't help with resolving the problem. The issue is with the legislation surrounding prosecuting young persons who are closer to adulthood than not.

Crown must make application to have the young person receive an adult sentence.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This should be on the OP.

It's not about the judge but about the laws. Sad

There's no indication from the judge's ruling that he had no choice, there's no expression that says he's bound and his hands are tied, what we do have is all indications that the judge was sympathetic towards the rapist.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why some crimes(murder, rape) should be tried as adults automatically. A publication ban on the rapists name too? That's canadian justice for you.

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no indication from the judge's ruling that he had no choice, there's no expression that says he's bound and his hands are tied, what we do have is all indications that the judge was sympathetic towards the rapist.

Haha what you have is one quote taken out of context. You'd need to read the full transcript of the proceedings to make a statement like that.

The law sets out maximum punishment for a young person charged with this offence is 3 years. That's what was imposed. Judge legally cannot imposed a longer sentence.

The publication ban is to protect the victim, sometimes publishing the name of the offender can identify the victim.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The things I want to say...

I don't fucking give a shit if it's the judge or the laws. That monster deserves to suffer for the rest of its pathetic, worthless life.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Haha what you have is one quote taken out of context. You'd need to read the full transcript of the proceedings to make a statement like that.

The law sets out maximum punishment for a young person charged with this offence is 3 years. That's what was imposed. Judge legally cannot imposed a longer sentence.

The publication ban is to protect the victim, sometimes publishing the name of the offender can identify the victim.

In his sentencing decision, Meyers described the young woman who was victim of the grad party assault as "a very courageous woman who has suffered tremendously." But he said he also had to consider factors like the almost three years the youth has been on relatively strict bail conditions without breaching them.

Meyers noted that as the youth is now legally an adult, corrections staff would likely apply to have any jail sentence transferred to an adult prison.

The judge added he also had to consider "extra judicial consequences" the youth has experienced, which included not being able to graduate from high school with his childhood friends and being shunned in the community.

Despite a publication ban on his name imposed by the court, "Everybody knew the buzz. Everybody saw him being arrested," said Meyers. "It was no big secret."

Two psychologists ordered by the court to provide reports both rated the youth a low risk to reoffend, Meyers noted, but both said they had little information to base their assessment on, as the youth had been instructed by his lawyer not to speak to them about the offences, pending an appeal.

As part of the sentence in the community, the youth must complete 50 hours of community work service, must take sex offender treatment if recommended by his probation officer, must be either employed or attending school, not change his address and have no contact with either victim.

Crown prosecutor Hank Reiner declined to comment on the sentence.
Defence lawyer Joe Saulnier indicated outside the court that the youth plans to appeal his convictions on the grounds that the trial judge disregarded evidence that called complainants' statements about what happened into question and that he refused to allow defence lawyers to call one expert witness.
Lawyers have 30 days to file an appeal.

https://www.nsnews.com/news/teen-jailed-just-two-weeks-for-violent-sex-assault-1.23476809

Here are your facts, he was on bail the entire time. So no the judge was not forced to do this. The crown asked for 3 years in custody, the Judge declined because he felt he'd suffered enough not getting to graduate with his friends and that his community knows he's a rapist. You're entire theory is bunk, he was never in jail and will only ever be in jail for 2 weeks.

You are basing your statements on thin air, and then getting mad ta me for basing mine on things the judge actually said.

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here are your facts, he was on bail the entire time. So no the judge was not forced to do this.

You are basing your statements on thin air, and then getting mad ta me for basing mine on things the judge actually said.

I'm just describing Canadian criminal law. Onerous bail is attributed as pre-sentence custody.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that judge is in the process of becoming an American citizen and wants Trump to recognize them?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just describing Canadian criminal law. Onerous bail is attributed as pre-sentence custody.

Cite it.

Cite where him being on bail is the same as time served

Right now absolutely nothing points to you being correct here, not the judge;s statements, not what the Crown asked for, nothing.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you stanning for a serial rapist getting a 2 week sentence right now. Really?

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you stanning for a serial rapist getting a 2 week sentence right now. Really?

Of course not. This is a failing of our legislation that deals with youth. The sentence is ridiculous and it is VERY concerning that this sentence is legal, and in fact the maximum that could be imposed.

That's the point I'm trying to make, blaming the judge obfuscates the main issue here.

Cite it.

Cite where him being on bail is the same as time served

Right now absolutely nothing points to you being correct here, not the judge;s statements, not what the Crown asked for, nothing.

You can take the time and research the case law yourself. I'm speaking from professional experience that bail is credited as custody in certain circumstances.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right for youth crimes in Canada.
Remember in high school, knew people at the time that would commit crimes,
knowing full well that it they would be wiped off their record once they reached the age of adulthood.
We treat youth like they're dumb,
but they're not, and they know how to exploit the system.

This isn't just the judges fault,
the system is broken.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You can take the time and research the case law yourself. I'm speaking from professional experience that bail is credited as custody in certain circumstances.

Evidence that this is the case here?

You'd think that would have come out given the backlash.

The reality is the Judge's words and reasoning are cold and callous and absolutely part of the problem

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Evidence that this is the case here?

You'd think that would have come out given the backlash.

The reality is the Judge's words and reasoning are cold and callous and absolutely part of the problem

I'll agree with you there is a problem but the judge isn't the source of the problem, more like a symptom. The way we deal with young offenders and sexual assaults need to be changed drastically. This can only happen through New legislation.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I see further rapes in this sick fuck's future.

A lot of people say you can't predict the future, but come on. The probability of it is way too high.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that makes me really angry. So the asshole almost murders the girl in the process and he doesn't get referred as an adult for his second sexual assault??? Fuck those prosecutor/judge. Why wasn't he charged with attempted murder too??

Oct 27, 2017

What is wrong with you? Laughing? What a piece of scum you are. Rape defense force. Canada come get your dude.