• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Even though there hasn't been an official announcement from Nintendo themselves, we've been hearing rumors and leaks for a long time about Switch 2, the upcoming successor to the Nintendo Switch. Speculation grew at the end of last year, when Gamescom attendees claimed to have seen the new Nintendo console behind closed doors.

Today at Vandal we can share some exclusive details about the upcoming hardware from the Japanese company after hearing non-official information from manufactures that have had a first contact with Switch 2. Our colleague Rubén Mercado has been the one that has had access to these exclusive details during an accessory manufacturer fair, the same way it happened during the pre-launch period of Nintendo Switch OLED.

Some manufacturers have been able to "touch" the new Nintendo console, without the possibility of actually seeing it to avoid leaks. There are no concrete dates for its release, but they all agree that it won't release this year, even though the console is ready. This is just a strategic decision to have a better lineup, and they expect this Christmas period to be the last one for Switch, and Switch 2 to release Early 2025.

The information we've managed to get says the console is a bit bigger than the current Switch models, but still smaller than a Steam Deck. Another change is on the joy-con side, which will trade their current attachment system using rails for a magnetic system.

As of right now we don't have information on the specs of the console itself, but what we can confirm is that the current Pro Controller will be forwards compatible with Switch 2. However, it's possible that the current joycons won't be, whether for the change on how they attach to the console or if they have new functionalities.

vandal.elespanol.com

Exclusiva Switch 2: Conocemos en primicia nuevos detalles de la próxima consola de Nintendo

Más grande que Switch, nuevos Joy-Con magnéticos y posible fecha de lanzamiento: Descubrimos detalles de Switch 2 gracias a fabricantes que ya han tenido acceso a la próxima consola de Nintendo.

Basically:
  • Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it.
  • Every manufacturer agrees the console won't release this year and will release Early 2025.
  • A bit bigger than the current Switch models but nowhere close to the Steam Deck's size.
  • Joy-cons will change their attachment system from rails to a magnetic system, and the current ones won't be forwards compatible.
  • The current Pro Controller will work on Switch 2.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
b4f964e52961c415a92d2b3dd20c3b91.gif

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The touch but don't look bit makes me totally believe this. From the company that chained consoles to review outlets' desks for security reasons.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Sticking their hand into a black box like it's Fear Factor lmao. Not the most believable scenario

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
Im really interested to see how console mode pans out. I was on board with the switch but since the Steam Deck came out I find it extremely hard for switch to compete with it. Now that their next console is well underway I have my hopes but I dont know how they can pull it off at their usual price point. If the hardware delivers Ill pay whatever they ask for. Please dont cut corners again Nintendo.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
This sounds like an elaborate fake? Why would Nintendo even do that last year even they ever only showing 2 demo's on targeted hardware?

Nov 13, 2017
I expect existing Joy-Con to work wirelessly for BC but not attach. Maybe there will be some kind of adapter solution offered.

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe something lost in translation and the manufacturers were able to see/touch it in person but no photos to take away?

Oct 25, 2017
While I was never expecting it the Switch Pro Controller became my favourite controller ever so I'm glad I'll be ready for launch.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Won't be as big as Steamdeck? Jesus, how big is the steamdeck?

The Switch OLED is the perfect size for in-house playing, wouldn't want it that much bigger

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Are magnets enough to keep the thing from coming apart during intense periods of gameplay? Just imagining some pressure platformer causing too much tension on the magnets and the thing falls apart. But I'm sure they've tested it and it works if that's the solution they've chosen.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
So accessories manufacturers, the people that actually have to see the physical specs of the product to produce accessories have to... rely on the sense of touch ?
It's in air quotes, and probably not referring to literal touching it blindfolded or in a dark box or something silly. Given that this is from accessory makers, they were probably given dimensions and such, told how many parts there were, how things connect, etc. The stuff you need to know to start making bags, cases, chargers, etc.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a real thing is it? lol

Way back at my job were developing apps for the yet to release Amazon Fire Tablet.

The model we had to work with was basically the tablet which was encased in a giant generic black casing and we could only access the screen.
If we returned it with the casing busted we would be in deep shit. And the casing was designed that if you busted it open you couldn't put it back together again.

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe something lost in translation and the manufacturers were able to see/touch it in person but no photos to take away?

Nope, that translation is accurate. They're saying manufacturers were allowed to touch but not see the console (the article describes literal black boxes where people had to put their hands in). Which sounds... Not real, but i wouldn't know how Nintendo operates xd.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Nintendo is demoing the console to accessory manufacturers like it's peeled grapes masquerading as eyeballs in a covered box.

lol

come off it

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
That "Switch Attach" or "Nintendo Attach" name might actually be real. It could be a console where you can attach a number of peripherals through magnets: joy-cons, a second screen, another console console for tabletop multiplayer, a camera and so on.