• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
D3qCr1B.png

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued patronage.

VANPOOL Inc. will be dissolved as of May 31, 2023.
We have decided to dissolve the company due to various reasons after having continued game development thanks to your kind support.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for the patronage we have received and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.

As announced on their site today.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks, I was actually waiting for Dillon to return on Switch. I hope HAL grabs all the affected employees.

A shame as they've long been a steady development partner for Nintendo, particularly with HAL. It's only speculation on my part, but I wonder if like AlphaDream, they had a big project lined up that got scuttled and basically took the whole team down with it that Nintendo contracts just couldn't cover the immediate need for funding and just had to call it. In any event, I'm hopeful that both Nintendo and HAL are looking to pick the devs up for anyone interested in sticking with them, as they have a ton of experience.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this an AlphaDream situation?

Hard to say given there's not much in the way of details.

The thing is though, Vanpool seemed to be a strong support studio for Kirby games over the life of the Switch, whereas alphadream were struggling horribly because they had no 3D modelling staff whatsoever, and Spritework is a more difficult sell with every generation. Combined with their later games not selling well, the writing was on the wall for alphadream well before they shut. This is out of nowhere.

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Really hoping in some way those laid off were able to find work at HAL, and if not they find work elsewhere.

Seriously though, I know it's not their responsibility and business is business, but Nintendo allowing almost all 3DS-era developers to go MIA or close down kind of stinks.

Was just thinking the other day how we had so many cool eShop titles on the 3DS from Nintendo and how on Switch we've had so few, all of which coming from HAL as well.

Really miss all the cool, unique IP that time brought.

:(

Nintendo really goes through these small studios like there's no tomorrow.
I don't think there's much call to pin the struggles of these smaller studios on Nintendo, especially when we already know that studios like Cing and AlphaDream collapsed due to project-related issues outside of Nintendo's purview. All Nintendo can realistically do is offer spots for anyone impacted by the closures.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad. They've been busy lately so you wouldn't think it would be due to lack of work or poor sales.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
What a surprise -- unlike AlphaDream, it's not like their outsourced/supported titles were repeated bombs. I wonder what the story here is.

Hopefully those affected can land on their feet and that this won't have serious consequences for Kirby's future. The series is on fire right now -- I'd hate for Vanpool's untimely end to impede HAL's momentum!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that really sucks. I hope the developers land on their feet.
I do wonder what happened there. Was HAL keeping them afloat with Kirby projects?
Too bad about Dillon. That and Pushmo need a Switch-flavored comeback.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Probably happened the same as AlphaDream, they tried a project outside Nintendo and went wrong. i hope the best for the workers.

Dec 30, 2020
Glad I've got all of the Dillon games on my 3ds... Hope everyone in the company is able to get snapped up quickly, they're a talented bunch.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Considering they've basically just been a Kirby support studio for the past 5 years I wonder if their staff is getting absorbed into HAL proper. They are both in Tokyo, so relocation shouldn't be necessary for most staff either.

Being a small independent studio is tough in any case, especial when you are only doing support work for a single client. If HAL currently doesn't need Vanpool then there's just no income for them.

Always sad to see one of the Love-de-lic successor studios go. Here's hoping Onion Games will stay strong.

Plume

Jul 6, 2020
This really sucks. Dillon is so much fun, was really hoping for another one on Switch.

Considering they've basically just been a Kirby support studio for the past 5 years I wonder if their staff is getting absorbed into HAL proper. They are both in Tokyo, so relocation shouldn't be necessary for most staff either.

This would soften the blow at least. They're obviously very skilled, so having them move into HAL proper would be good

Great Martinez Jr.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Really surprised to learn this as the last few games they were involved in were actually hits.

Hopefully Hal will absorb most of the affected developers.

gundalf

May 6, 2022
The farewell note reads more like it comes from a generic app dev agency/consultancy rather from a game studio.
But I suppose the former is what they really were in first place.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Kirby & the Forgotten Land was such fun last year. Condolences to all the newly unemployed :(

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Damn, RIP

Wonder if we'll ever know what caused this. Doesn't look like they've done anything other than support work on Kirby the last few years so wonder if there's a cancelled project (or two) in there, Nintendo or otherwise.

This truly hurts.
Love-de-Lic and associated studios were truly one of the bright spots in gaming for me. And now it's pretty much all gone.
Almost nothing left. Gaming got worse for me, even if it's largely symbolic at this point.

Vanpool hasn't done anything truly left-field since Dillon, though, so I guess I was more comforted by the fact they were still in the game world.

Hold on to Onion Games for all they're worth, folks.
Still making pretty cool games, if not greatly reduced in scope and decidedly more indie than fully fledged dev studio.

I think the Vanpool lead personnel and Onion games should join forces once again and make some really far-out games to end their career.

Damn. That's another Love-de-Lic descendant down. Endonesia always looked cool.

That was the only remaining Love-de-Lic development studio left - unless you count Onion Games.
All of them are now defunct. skip, ltd. has never been confirmed, but it's almost certainly gone.

Skip was always my favorite (as my avatar clearly shows).

megamanofnumbers

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
All these significant layoffs and studio closures. If I didn't know any better I'd assume we were hitting the edge of some kind of industry bubble or something.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, that's sudden. I would've sworn they were permanently busy with Kirby in some capacity or another at this point.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
:(

Nintendo really goes through these small studios like there's no tomorrow.
I don't know if that's quite right for a company that they've had a working relationship with for 20 years. It's unfortunate, and maybe Nintendo could have taken action to prop them up so that they didn't have to close, but it's not like Nintendo stepped in suddenly out of nowhere and killed the studio.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's heartbreaking that the last bastion of the OG Love-de-Lic descendants are now gone, with Skip having vanished a couple years ago or so without a trace.

Onion Games at least keeps the spirit alive, plus we have Oink Games with some of Skip's Art Style and bit generations team making some nifty stuff here and there, and we just got the Switch port of Vivid Knight by Chibi-Robo co-director's Asobism not long ago.

What I want is for Nintendo to work with Onion Games to make something super creative and special like Chibi-Robo and Captain Rainbow. Onion's making some sort of RPG but I assume that's entirely on their own, but Nintendo could help elevate it with a bit of a budget and assistance to give it any guidance they could need IMO. Chibi-Robo may never have been as good without Nintendo picking it up in the day.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What other studios that Nintendo didn't own did Nintendo close?
The Mario and luigi rpg studio that Nintendo dastardly killed by (check notes)... letting them choose by themselves to do a remake of a ds game on 3ds after the Switch came out, and not forcing them to stop doing that bad choice.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
The Mario and luigi rpg studio that Nintendo dastardly killed by (check notes)... letting them choose by themselves to do a remake of a ds game on 3ds after the Switch came out, and not forcing them to stop doing that bad choice.
What on earth was going through their minds when they decided to do a mediocre remake of a DS game?

To be fair, the 3DS M&L remakes were probably the only thing that was keeping AlphaDream afloat in their final years. They waited far, far too long to modernize their development floor past low resolution Nintendo platforms, and then getting their multiplatform project that was supposed to kick off a new era for the company killed put the proverbial stake in their heart. "Why didn't Nintendo have them do literally anything else" is a decent question to ask, but it's becoming clear over time that all AlphaDream really knew how to do after a certain point were M&L games.