• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Only the fact that it could've gone full 4k.
I personally don't mind it. DF mentions that they went with 1440p to keep a stable 60fps, which is a must with this game.

Understandable. Also, do you think they should come out with updated steam version based of these releases?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I kept hoping they'd do this with Dark Souls and it never happened. Same with Ace Combat 7 and other games with Pro parity. It's really such a tremendous shame.
Actually, AC 7 performs better on Pro (Digital Foundry link); there's a good chance that in the pursuit of a higher resolution, its performance would have suffered, as it's been the case with other releases that did have an advantage on this front.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Actually, AC 7 performs better on Pro (Digital Foundry link); there's a good chance that in the pursuit of a higher resolution, its performance would have suffered, as it's been the case with other releases that did have an advantage on this front.
I'm well aware, it also runs at the same resolution on both, so not only is their resolution parity but it also runs worse on the more powerful box which should never be the case. Doesn't excuse anything

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You want a game that happens to be a Nintendo first-party release, you have to play ball and buy their hardware.
The status of the franchise may change in later generations (hell, it happened once with Bayo 2, after all). But there are no guarantees there, sadly.
I'm honestly surprised Nintendo let W101 go. Pleased. But surprised. Now just about everyone will get to have a go with it. Game deserves it.

Sure, Bayos 2 and 3 do too. And perhaps they will, one day. But not anytime soon. Still no reason to call Nintendo the jailers.
The games literally wouldn't exist were it not for Nintendo. This was an IP Sega had to abandon just to create a scenario where Nintendo could even step in.
Blame Sega, if you must. That doesn't make Nintendo the jailers in this (or any) scenario. It makes them the benefactors. Because without Nintendo, Bayonetta wouldn't even be a franchise. It'd have likely remained a discarded one-off.

If anything, Veelk should be getting on Microsoft & Sony, not Nintendo or Sega.

Sega were the ones who had first went to both Sony & Microsoft & asked both companies to fund Bayonetta 2. They refused to.

That's why Sega went to Nintendo for the funding of the game, & Nintendo were the ones who obliged to fund it, as well as Bayonetta 3.

It's really unfortunate how Bayonetta is getting all these awesome ports while Bayonetta 2 is stuck in Nintendo jail :(

I'm aware, but I wish this didn't mean Nintendo got to hold the games prisoner to their console.

I'm sorry but if MS can pay all that money to buy Minecraft and continue to support it on other platforms and even release it on Nintendo platforms after (which the original owner was against) instead of holding it hostage on their own platform then I don't want to hear any excuses as to why Nintendo can't allow platinum to release Bayo 2 (a title that has already ran its course sales wise on WiiU/Switch) on more powerful platforms so it can get the UHD treatment it really deserves.

See my post above.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Veelk should be getting on Microsoft & Sony, not Nintendo or Sega.
No, Veelk should be getting it on any platform he wants, which is the stance Veelk holds for everyone. The argument that X paid for it's creation and therefore X is justified in restricting it to X's platform doesn't work on Veelk since Veelk views exclusives as anti-consumer and doesn't care about any corporations, so Veelk wouldn't be siding with Nintendo or Microsoft or Sony. Ideally, Veelk thinks every game should be available on every possible platform that a game can be programmed onto, and that's all Veelk was expressing in wanting Bayonetta 2 to come to PC.

Honestly, people keep quoting me and giving me the "NiNtEnDo PaId FoR iT" line as if I've somehow not been aware of this from back when Bayonetta 2 was announced and became one of the reasons I purchased a Wii U. But as a consumer, I do not really care about Nintendo and I just want to future proof my games. So, I want it on PC. That Nintendo paid for it's development is not a sufficient reason for why it should be kept exclusive to it's platforms. And not that I said 'should', because I know that the current business model of gaming means that Nintendo owns the game as an IP, so it very well might not happen unless they work out a deal with Platinum. But companies would rather bury their IP's they own in the dirt, even if they don't have any other plans for them, which sucks. I don't think it should be this way. It would be an absolute good thing for us, real actual people, if Bayonetta 2 came to PC (or whatever platform you want it to be on) whereas the wants of corporations mean nothing to me.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Veelk I'm just telling you the truth as to what happened.

You're villianizing Nintendo for exclusivity of Bayonetta 2 in general when they're the ones who stepped in to help keep Bayonetta going, unlike Microsoft & Sony.

Games like that wouldn't even exist without 1st party companies footing the bill, such as Microsoft with Sunset Overdrive & Sony with Street Fighter V.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Veelk I'm just telling you the truth as to what happened.

You're villianizing Nintendo for exclusivity of Bayonetta 2 in general when they're the ones who stepped in to help keep Bayonetta going, unlike Microsoft & Sony.
lol. Again, I've been aware that Nintendo funded Bayo 2 since the game was announced and news of it first broke out. I know the truth of what happened. This is not news to me. Please read what you respond to.

And I don't consider that to be justification for Nintendo keeping Bayo prisoner to their platform. And if that sounds like villainizing Nintendo, whatever, I don't feel I am, it's hardly the worst thing corperations do. But it's not a good thing and it has no benefit for the consumer and it's not exclusive to nintendo. I am ecstatic that Halo came to PC and if there was any hope of it coming to Sony console and Nintendo console, I'd support that, and I hope Sony at some point releases the Last of Us series and God of War series to other platforms as well. They probably won't, but they should because it'd be a good thing for consumers.

Lastly, the things your talking about don't cancel each other out or anything like that. It's good that Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2. That can still be good while it's still bad they're keeping Bayo 2 from being released elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The PC as a platform is not as footloose and fancy free as some people on here seem to think.

This is as true now as it was since before Steam.

But it is quaint to see the belief still persist.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Nope, Pc versions already running these games at 4k and 120fps
Bayonetta is capped at 60fps on PC (cutscene at 30fps).
Vanquish not but it doesn't work as intended at anything that isn't 30fps... as I've shown in an earlier post (at least on PC, but I don't expect anything different on console, let's see).

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm well aware, it also runs at the same resolution on both, so not only is their resolution parity but it also runs worse on the more powerful box which should never be the case. Doesn't excuse anything
I didn't explain myself properly: there's been instances where pushing a higher default resolution resulted in slightly worse performances (Devil May Cry V, Kingdom Hearts 3, Sekiro, The Outer Worlds, or COD: Modern Warfare, among others), so it's actually possible that with this collection, the story would have been the same. Of course, there are other games that had both an advantage in resolution and performance. I'm in no position to know which one could be in this case, but I cannot discard any of them either. I make this idea extensive to the Pro version, by the way.

Now, on the topic of Ace Combat, I think that's a different, unfortunate situation. The cold facts: PS4 was the main system and there never was a real incentive for Namco to go back and update on a platform that's a fifth of its user base at best. I don't know if that excuses anything, but it certainly explains it. In their defense, they were supposedly late in development when Xbox X got released; besides, Namco suffered a lot implementing UE on consoles, and PS VR forced them to optimize more on certain platforms... Unfortunate, but that's how the business go.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

• resolution same as Bayonetta (1440p on enhanced, 1080p on base)
  • Shadows never looked good, even on PC version. much lower res here. Character shadows "less harsh" and "look nicer" on Xbox One (4:35 in video on why he feels that way)
  • Xbox One X is smoothest performance wise
  • PS4 Pro when console set to 4K output "1440p mode" less stable than X, but still feels good, additional dips especially when there's a lot of alpha effects
  • "slow walk visor" scenes drop to mid-50s until scene is finished only on PS4 Pro at 1440
  • base PS4 has more "pockets of slowdown" than PS4 Pro at 1440 during gameplay
  • Xbox One S runs the worst. "Can't say it's bad, but worst performing version overall"
They mention a conservative 1440p resolution makes more sense with Vanquish because they're going from a 30FPS game on past gen to 60FPS in this package.

Last edited:

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
No, Veelk should be getting it on any platform he wants, which is the stance Veelk holds for everyone. The argument that X paid for it's creation and therefore X is justified in restricting it to X's platform doesn't work on Veelk since Veelk views exclusives as anti-consumer and doesn't care about any corporations, so Veelk wouldn't be siding with Nintendo or Microsoft or Sony. Ideally, Veelk thinks every game should be available on every possible platform that a game can be programmed onto, and that's all Veelk was expressing in wanting Bayonetta 2 to come to PC.

Honestly, people keep quoting me and giving me the "NiNtEnDo PaId FoR iT" line as if I've somehow not been aware of this from back when Bayonetta 2 was announced and became one of the reasons I purchased a Wii U. But as a consumer, I do not really care about Nintendo and I just want to future proof my games. So, I want it on PC. That Nintendo paid for it's development is not a sufficient reason for why it should be kept exclusive to it's platforms. And not that I said 'should', because I know that the current business model of gaming means that Nintendo owns the game as an IP, so it very well might not happen unless they work out a deal with Platinum. But companies would rather bury their IP's they own in the dirt, even if they don't have any other plans for them, which sucks. I don't think it should be this way. It would be an absolute good thing for us, real actual people, if Bayonetta 2 came to PC (or whatever platform you want it to be on) whereas the wants of corporations mean nothing to me.
Totally agree

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta is capped at 60fps on PC (cutscene at 30fps).
Vanquish not but it doesn't work as intended at anything that isn't 30fps... as I've shown in an earlier post (at least on PC, but I don't expect anything different on console, let's see).

No Vanquish runs perfectly at 60fps on consoles with no issues due to framerate like in that video. I beat it yesterday.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm playing through Vanquish again for the first time since it originally launched. I have to say, I didn't really get the hype for it then and I still don't now.

It's fun enough, and I certainly think it plays well, but at the same time the way it's regarded as a gaming action perfection masterpiece doesn't really strike me as true still. I don't know what it is, maybe it's just a preference thing. I also think the setting and design is fairly generic and bland, Indicative of its contemporaries when it launched, but then again I've always been partial to Binary Domain more when it comes to robot shooting action and the games sort of remind me of each other in that way.

Bayonetta is still on a whole different level though.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

• resolution same as Bayonetta (1440p on enhanced, 1080p on base)
  • Shadows never looked good, even on PC version. much lower res here. Character shadows "less harsh" and "look nicer" on Xbox One (4:35 in video on why he feels that way)
  • Xbox One X is smoothest performance wise
  • PS4 Pro when console set to 4K output "1440p mode" less stable than X, but still feels good, additional dips especially when there's a lot of alpha effects
  • "slow walk visor" scenes drop to mid-50s until scene is finished only on PS4 Pro at 1440
  • base PS4 has more "pockets of slowdown" than PS4 Pro at 1440 during gameplay
  • Xbox One S runs the worst. "Can't say it's bad, but worst performing version overall"
They mention a conservative 1440p resolution makes more sense with Vanquish because they're going from a 30FPS game on past gen to 60FPS in this package.

Whew ok finally I can now return my PS4 version then.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So for port devs:

Bayonetta
  • 360: original by Platinum Games
  • PS3: Nex Entertainment
  • Wii U: BeeTribe (Platinum oversight)
  • PC: Little Stone Software (Platinum consultation)
  • NSW: Platinum Games
  • PS4: Armature Studio (Platinum consultation)
  • XBO: Armature Studio (Platinum consultation)
Vanquish
  • PS3: original by Platinum Games
  • 360: Platinum Games
  • PC: Little Stone Software (Platinum consultation)
  • PS4: Armature Studio (Platinum consultation)
  • XBO: Armature Studio (Platinum consultation)
Someone should ask Armature if they're cooking up more collaborations with PG.
Actually I wonder if they're doing any of the ports for W101 Remastered?

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Bayonetta was one i missed out on last gen so can't wait to try it on ps4. A distrubing lack of hack and slash games this gen compared to last gen, hopefully capcom can get dmc6 out a bit quicker.
Prepare yourself to one of the best action games of all time. If devil may cry is your cup of tea you will be in heaven.

For those who tried it on base PS4, how is the IQ? Aliasing and these stuff?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Again, look at here:

You get WAY less damage on 60FPS and ppl say the game on console have the same issues.

I didnt notice anything like that on Hard, I got the platinum on the PS3 version so this ain't my first rodeo. I did notice it only took one bullet to trigger ARS in the Burns fight though not sure if that is new or not. I only died 5-10 times on Hard mode so I dont think it's any harder than before

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I didnt notice anything like that on Hard, I got the platinum on the PS3 version so this ain't my first rodeo. I did notice it only took one bullet to trigger ARS in the Burns fight though not sure if that is new or not. I only died 5-10 times on Hard mode so I dont think it's any harder than before
You keep ignoring the video and what I'm saying... you get LESS damage on 60FPS, so the game is easier then the original version.

Other than that there seems to be other issues regarding some enemies pattern.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
You keep ignoring the video and what I'm saying... you get LESS damage on 60FPS, so the game is easier then the original version.

Other than that there seems to be other issues regarding some enemies pattern.

Oh I see now, the video wasnt clear about what it was trying to show. I thought you meant you could take less damage, I'll have to play around a bit with it, but honestly if it makes Challenge 6 easier I will NOT be complaining lol

TBF though I definitely didnt see anything like that spot where Sam gets hit by like 10 bogey homing lasers and barely flinches, those still do good damage from what I saw

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Tonight was the night. Finally fired up Bayonetta and my god, my eyes; they couldn't believe what they were seeing! The game looks incredible on PS4 Pro at 1080p with Supersampling turned on. Bayonetta herself is so fucking sharp. A lot of the blurring around her face gets cleared up, and her accessories and guns really pop. Nice clean image. I've been waiting a long time for this. Ten years of 720p. *tears*

I then turned off Supersampling and that was more or less the Bayonetta I know, bumped up to native 1080p of course. A little blurry, less detail clarity, etc. One additional thing I noticed between the two modes, the game felt just a tad bit more responsive with Supersampling turned off. I normally perceive these input latency changes and I felt this tiny, tiny difference. I didn't play for very long and I'm probably imagining it lol.. Gonna hook up my Xbox One tomorrow and compare BC Bayo to this port, just for my own curiosity.

Last edited:

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
All right. Watched both digital foundry videos about the games and the performance on base PS4 seems good enough. I will buy it when I have time.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Is the audio mixing on this release of Bayo totally fucked, or what?

The music is so damn quiet on PS4. By default, effects and music are at max. I had to mess with the sound settings for the very first time. I ended up lowering effects by a good amount and I have to turn my volume way up just to make the game sound okay. It's one of those situations where the game will sound normal, then I go to the PS4 home screen and my menu music is so much louder in comparison. Another quick comparison is the volume difference between the Sega logo jingle and the PlatinumGames logo jingle (and everything thereafter).

Are these the breaks? How's the Xbox One version?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Bayonetta is harder than I remember on Normal. I'm getting whopped, barely scraping by.

Other than Sekiro, I barely played any action games that demanded quick reactions or precise inputs in 2019 (spent most of my time with XCOM 2, Divinity OS , Mutant Year Zero and Hitman 2) so I might be rusty but, ouch.

Never really got the hang of Dodge Offsets on 360 back in the day so I'm practicing as much as I can but I still can't commit it to muscle memory. Getting the Platinum trophy for this might be harder than I anticipated.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Bayonetta on ps4 after having originally done pure platinum playthroughs on 360/wiiu/switch respectively and Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa parries definitely feel easier to pull off, and perfect parries seem to come out way more consistently. Managed to land 2 perfect parries in a row on the first Jeanne flashback fight on my first time through. Wonder if they might have extended the timing window a bit.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Vanquish on XB1X and damn that frame rate is rock solid even with all the insane action. I never finished it on PS3 because I played it way later and the performance kind of killed it for me. This, however is excellent!

They do need to patch the judder in cutscenes though.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
finished Vanquish on hard. Yeah, that's the best shooter ever made. Whew.

Onto Bayonetta, which I most recently finished on Switch back in 2018. This time, trophies will encourage me to do it all!

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I used the top left paddle on my Elite controller for boost in Vanquish and it's really comfortable.

and I'm using it for Jump in Bayo. Once I get used to it I think will help a lot with jump cancels.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So bottom line, besides PC, sounds like these are the best versions for consoles even if one is missing the Switch costumes for Bayo and we have to deal with the "easier" 60fps bug for Vanquish? Is this the general consensus?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So bottom line, besides PC, sounds like these are the best versions for consoles even if one is missing the Switch costumes for Bayo and we have to deal with the "easier" 60fps bug for Vanquish? Is this the general consensus?
What bug for vanquish?

Oct 26, 2017
Do these versions include the JP voice option for Bayo 1? Sega actually needed the okay from Nintendo to include it in the PC version which they allowed, since it was a Wii U version original.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
finished Vanquish on hard. Yeah, that's the best shooter ever made. Whew.

Onto Bayonetta, which I most recently finished on Switch back in 2018. This time, trophies will encourage me to do it all!
Vanquish holds up way better then Bayo just due to the bad gimmicks and qte's.
This bundle made me realize that Vanquish is still incredible and that I like DMC 4 way more then Bayo 1.