• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Derek Connolly, who penned the box-office smash "Jurassic World" as well as the film's upcoming sequel, has been brought on to write the latest draft of Sony's "Metal Gear Solid" adaptation.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Connolly's collaborator on "Kong: Skull Island," will direct the feature film.

Avi Arad is producing.

Created by Hideo Kojima, the "Megal Gear Solid" video game first launched on PlayStation in 1998 and follows Snake, a soldier who infiltrates a nuclear weapons facility to neutralize the terrorist threat from Foxhound, a renegade special forces unit.

Connolly and "Jurassic World" helmer Colin Trevorrow were discovered by Steven Spielberg following their breakout Sundance hit "Safety Not Guaranteed."

Source: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/j...ly-pen-sonys-metal-gear-solid-pic-1202610438/

It's happening, isn't it? It's finally happening and my heart is racing.

tumblr_mcczmhFLXJ1rpoldbo4_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mhekxidG2y1qzqt8do4_500.gif

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it'll be Mortal Kombat 2 levels of good

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
snake riding on a motorcycle with his new gekko friends running along beside him

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love a faithful adaptation of the first Solid game, but I have a feeling that any attempt to make a Metal Gear film will be a confusing abomination like the Dark Tower movie.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I would love a faithful adaptation of the first Solid game, but I have a feeling that any attempt to make a Metal Gear film will be a confusing abomination like the Dark Tower movie.

Please, if you are a Metal Gear Solid fan, if there's any Metal Gear Solid fan out here, I urge you to watch Kong: Skull Island. No, it isn't the best film of the year, but it isn't bad either and most of all, it showcases how much of a freaking fanboy Vogt-Roberts is. This has the potential to become a giant franchise for Sony. I don't see them going Dark Tower with this one.

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Vogt-Roberts is an actual legit Metal Gear fanboy and also regardless Kong's quality, he does showed some great potential on that film. Have you seen it? Lots of Metal Gear inspired stuff happening even in that film.

Kong Skull island? Seemed like a load of banal dick waving when I watched it. Maybe I should rewatch.

I didn't care much for Jurassic World either.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have too much confidence in the writer, but at least the director knows and loves the MGS games.

Really interested to see how this turns out, if it actually gets made, and I hope it does.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Avi Arad (at least for me) has become a synonym for "will never happen".

I don't believe this film will ever get made. Doesn't matter how oftern there's someone attached to write or direct.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Kong Skull island? Seemed like a load of banal dick waving when I watched it. Maybe I should rewatch.

I didn't care much for Jurassic World either.

There are several visual references to Metal Gear there. I was amazed how he got away with it while watching it. Jurassic World is my favorite of the Jurassic films, so this has me very excited. I feel like Sony is going BIG with this like they should. And do you know what would be crazy? If Sony stopped being stupid with Venom and stuff like Dark Tower and went with this pitch:

ZACK SNYDER'S GOD OF WAR, Starring Jason Momoa

I don't like BvS or MoS as much as the next guy, but I feel that this would fit Snyder's strenghts perfectly, a rated R epic with Kratos as Momoa? This thing writes itself.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Even if a good writer was involved, an MGS adaptation is such a recipe for disaster.
I can't wait. I expect Jupiter Ascending levels of poor decision-making.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly have some talent in board but given Sony's film quality over the past few years, and the general quality of film adaptations of games, I'm not going to hold my breath for this one.

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Even if a good writer was involved, an MGS adaptation is such a recipe for disaster.
I can't wait. I expect Jupiter Ascending levels of poor decision-making.

I still need to watch that movie. I recently saw Speed Racer. I managed to watch half of it. I like Wacowski stuff, nice visual identity. But they tend to miss the mark.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have too much confidence in the writer, but at least the director knows and loves the MGS games.
Well, the maker of the Warcraft movie knows and loves the Warcraft games, too. Still, the movie was very ... mediocre.

Metal Gear Solid, to me, lives on a very fine line between being ridiculously over-the-top and being a 'serious' sci-fi spy story.

I'm unsure how anyone but Kojima could find that tonal balance. I still don't know how he does it.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear isn't a movie scale story. It would be better served with the scope and scale of something like Discovery and told over a season.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Can it be a mgs3 movie instead. Please
Roberts is on record as saying that the movie would take place in several different time periods, not just depicting one specific game. So young Big Boss is pretty much a guarantee.

"Right now what we're trying to write is the craziest, punk rock, Kojima, rock and roll, like 'holy shit they're going to try to make that movie that does this in that many time periods?!' Like it's special. Whether we can execute on that script, whether we can get it made, who knows. But right now, I truly believe that the target is in the right direction, and so we'll see what happens from there."

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
They're still trying to make this happen? Don't know why they see any potential earnings from this IP. That, and video game movies' bad track record.

AwareSnake

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty annoying headline, but it's good to see that Jordan is collabing with him again after doing Kong together. It means he can influence the script, rather than playing off of someone unknown to him prior.

Mathezar

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling they're just keep bringing writers in to dilute MGS into a 'normal' movie, devoid of everything what makes MGS, MGS. This movie is never going to get made as you and I (the gamers) would want to see it. I couldn't imagine how this would appeal to someone who knows nothing about the games as what makes the games so special is the characters, in-jokes, 4th wall breaking and absurd stories. Regular people will find it weird and the movie will probably bomb.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would you need a good writer for a MGS game? I thought that was the point that the writing is incredibly dumb.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I couldn't imagine how this would appeal to someone who knows nothing about the games as what makes the games so special is the characters, in-jokes, 4th wall breaking and absurd stories. Regular people will find it weird and the movie will probably bomb.

People thought that Deadpool was impossible to make for similar reasons. And yet, here we are. Let's see what happens first. I trust Vogt-Roberts.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Jordan Vogt Roberts and the writer of Jurassic World. lmaoooo. this is gonna be such a piece of shit.

love the games but this is just gonna be a pile of crap. like sure the games have cheesy writing, but this movie belongs to like John Woo or Bong Joon Ho or somebody like that. Who would lean heavily into the absurdity/corniness of the whole thing whilst directing some dope action sequences.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This always gets said at least once a year. I will never believe it until they have a trailer.

I will only ever care if Kojima directed it and Hayter played Snake.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roberts is on record as saying that the movie would take place in several different time periods, not just depicting one specific game. So young Big Boss is pretty much a guarantee.
I.... this is actually not very promising. Any individual entry is complicated and stuffed enough to fill more than a movie, tryibg to fit multiple games worth of plots in one isnt very smart.

Mathezar

Oct 27, 2017
People thought that Deadpool was impossible to make for similar reasons. And yet, here we are. Let's see what happens first. I trust Vogt-Roberts.
Well, to me as somewhone who has seen, but knows nothing about Deadpool; It's an R-rated superhero movie, foul language, humor, action and gore backed by an A list actor. I should think that's pretty marketable.

I have no doubt Vogt-Roberts has the best of intentions, but I just fear the Hollywood machine won't let a MGS movie be how it should be...

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
to be honest... I do not envy anybody who has to do this.

the safest bet is to just make a full movie out of one of the games. make it easier for people unfamiliar with the series and make it less massive in scale.
but I don't think that will happen... it probably will be a stealthy action movie taking plot elements from a number of MGS games.

with the fanbase behind these games, you basically just can lose.
it's impossible to make a movie or script equal to the games because there's just too much stuff to cover.
by simplifying the plot you will piss off many fans.

I always thought MGS to be more or less unfilmable or at least satisfactory filmable, so I fear it will take its place among all the other crappy video game movies.

well...we'll see.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Honestly, this sounds kinda misguided. I mean, I get the appeal but MGS stories have worked best when they were focused on one character during one time period and during one, maximum two missions. It just makes for more compact and focused storytelling.

I'm not sure how much sense it makes to revisit one of those existing stories in movie format either. Like, those games are already pretty close to movies. What could you possibly add to them? What could Jordan Voigt-Roberts add to them?

Just go further back in time, cast Uma Thurman as the Boss and make a trilogy about the exploits of Cobra Unit and end with the founding of FOX.

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Kojima have a huge Hollywood boner?

I wonder if he is sad to see MGS go to the movies without his input and schmoozing.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the maker of the Warcraft movie knows and loves the Warcraft games, too. Still, the movie was very ... mediocre.
The Warcraft movie definitely could have been better, that's for sure. Still, it was the love Duncan Jones had for Warcraft that kept it faithful to the games and created a movie some hardcore fans actually like. And (for whatever its worth), the best video game movie.

Until Duncan Jones came along, everyone pitched Blizzard a movie where the Orcs were just dumb bad guys. There is an argument to be made, that the movie just has to be good and being faithful to the games doesn't matter, but what's the point if what you make is unrecognizable from the thing the fans love?

There is a chance that because of Jordan Vogt Robert's love of MGS, we might at the very least get a movie that hardcore fans of the game might be able to appreciate.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
MGS directed or written by anybody but Kojima is sacrilege

Throwing the Jurassic World writer at this magnum opus is downright malicious

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I just can't get excited about this. The game is so cinematic in itself that I don't really want to see a movie. Plus to properly convey the OTT tone of the game you'd need a fuckin HUGE budget which it will probably never get, and they'll surely trim down the idiosyncratic Kojima stuff to make it a more packaged mainstream project.

It's also like when people say they want a GTA movie, but GTA is so indebted to pop-culture/movies as a whole that adapting it into a film would make it seem really hollow and derivative.

Not convinced this is ever happening, Connolly is a terrible choice either way.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Well, to me as somewhone who has seen, but knows nothing about Deadpool; It's an R-rated superhero movie, foul language, humor, action and gore backed by an A list actor. I should think that's pretty marketable.

I have no doubt Vogt-Roberts has the best of intentions, but I just fear the Hollywood machine won't let a MGS movie be how it should be...

I think that like Fliesen pointed out, the Moon director and Bowie's son is a bonafide Warcraft fan and that film didn't work, but it's easy to think that Deadpool is a success now that it was done then before. We are talking about not just a rated R superhero, but a rated R cult superhero known for 4th wall breaking that somehow ended up getting not just a good film, but a great one. It could go both ways, it could be meh. It's too early to tell, but I think that like Dardan Sandiego pointed out, a more streamlined version should be what Vogt-Roberts should be aiming now. I feel like Metal Gear Solid has a very cinematic nature that could be explored along side the 4th wall over the top aspects that somehow becomes serious all of sudden. We live in a post-Deadpool world, and that's what makes me kinda hopeful that it might in fact work.

Also, Amen to Uma Thurman as The Boss.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't see the point in adapting MG at all.

To make money? Probably not a lot mind but if Resident Evil could turn a profit I'm sure Metal Gear could too.

And hey, one of these days a video game movie is bound to be smash hit and open the floodgates for lots more adaptions, right?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Robin Wright as the Boss brehs. She basically got the role on lock after all the hard asses she's been playing lately from House of Cards to Wonder Woman and Blade Runner 2049.

not that any actor/actress could save this movie tho tbh.