• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To make money? Probably not a lot mind but if Resident Evil could turn a profit I'm sure Metal Gear could too.

And hey, one of these days a video game movie is bound to be smash hit and open the floodgates for lots more adaptions, right?
That's the thing though, I see no merit or worth whatsoever in profit for profit's sake, it's decadent. Hence me not getting the point.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
To make money? Probably not a lot mind but if Resident Evil could turn a profit I'm sure Metal Gear could too.

And hey, one of these days a video game movie is bound to be smash hit and open the floodgates for lots more adaptions, right?

Here's to hoping that's Tomb Raider. I see potential there. That and Uncharted.

And btw, I remember now that someone pointed out that Avi Arad producing means that it's not happening. Well, Arad doesn't have more access to Spider-Man films proper money - THANK GOD - so that's the reason we are seeing stuff like Venom - UGH - and Metal Gear Solid getting traction, not to mention Uncharted. I actually think Uncharted has an insane amount of potential and that whenever that starts, Holland will be a bit older and he's more than capable of pulling it off. Here's hoping.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted will prolly be weak. Shawn Levy is a middle of the mall director, Tom Holland looks like he will forever be stuck looking like a teenager unfortunately. Seeing him hold a gun trying to flex is gonna look about as jarring as that kid in American Assassin.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Should have had Kojima write it. It would have been just as good/bad, but at least more authentic. I don't want a MGS film written by the guy who wrote JPW.........or do I?? ......Whatever.

Hopefully Harvey Keitel is set for the lead.

220px-Harvey_Keitel_VF_2012_Shankbone.JPG

When in doubt, Keitel will deliver.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted will prolly be weak. Shawn Levy is a middle of the mall director, Tom Holland looks like he will forever be stuck looking like a teenager unfortunately. Seeing him hold a gun trying to flex is gonna look about as jarring as that kid in American Assassin.

I hope it's an Uncharted prequel starring young Sully and younger Drake.

DGtOOSmV0AAiJ2f.jpg

"Goddammit Nate!"

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Tom Holland has barely 21 years old. Of course that he will look young. We were trained by Hollywood to see guys like Andrew Garfield as teenagers. They aren't. Holland looks young simply because we aren't used to actors of his caliber getting the kind of spotlight he gets.

Also, I think Shawn Levy is underrated as hell. I don't even like Real Steel but that's quite a Spielbergesque type of film. There's merit there. I feel like he could pull this of and be off the charts amazing. I legit trust him to pull it off. This generation doesn't have an Indiana Jones yet (I mean, other than maybe Pratt's Star-Lord), Vikander's Lara and Holland's Nate might actually pull the trick.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing though, I see no merit or worth whatsoever in profit for profit's sake, it's decadent. Hence me not getting the point.

That's just the sad reality of a lot of films, most don't have an artistic vision behind them, they're just out to make money.

But I do think a good Metal Gear film, based on MGS3 in particular, and done by a passionate team, could reach great heights.

Here's to hoping that's Tomb Raider. I see potential there. That and Uncharted.

And btw, I remember now that someone pointed out that Avi Arad producing means that it's not happening. Well, Arad doesn't have more access to Spider-Man films proper money - THANK GOD - so that's the reason we are seeing stuff like Venom - UGH - and Metal Gear Solid getting traction, not to mention Uncharted. I actually think Uncharted has an insane amount of potential and that whenever that starts, Holland will be a bit older and he's more than capable of pulling it off. Here's hoping.

Tomb Raider looks fine, probably more entertaining than most adaptions at least, hopefully.

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All films are made to make money. Same for games. Not sure how people think these things get made, but that's the reality of the situation.
As a former film student, you are dead wrong. Most films are not made to make money, unless you're strictcly talking about the mainstream commercial circuit. Which, let's face it, is the least important side of the industry to anyone who actually cares about it since it produces by far the highest rate of crap, though it also produces quite a few bona fide hits. Go check out most of the films celebrated at the festival circuit and you'll realize a great deal of them actually lose money and yet there's always someone lining up to fund Cannes winners since there are still some true patrons in the true sense of the word out there who care about prestige and quality much more than they care about actually profitting from their investments.

Check out three of the most widely celebrated films by the community to have come out in the last 5 years and their respective earnings and you'll realize just how innacurate your argument is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Sleep_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_(2014_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery_of_Splendour

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
As a former film student, you are dead wrong. Most films are not made to make money, unless you're strictcly talking about the mainstream commercial circuit. Which, let's face it, is the least important side of the industry to anyone who actually cares about it since it produces by far the highest rate of crap, though it also produces quite a few bona fide hits. Go check out most of the films celebrated at the festival circuit and you'll realize a great deal of them actually lose money and yet there's always someone lining up to fund Cannes winners since there are still some true patrons in the true sense of the word out there who care about prestige and quality much more than they care about actually profitting from their investments.

Check out three of the most widely celebrated films by the community to have come out in the last 5 years and their respective earnings and you'll realize just how innacurate your argument is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Sleep_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_(2014_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery_of_Splendour

Oh, I hear you. Yeah, I'm talking the mainstream. Never saw those films. I'll try to watch them eventually but my point still stands. Mainstream films - AND games - are made for money. And I'm fine with that.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The only way you can successfully do an MGS kive action adaption is either as a TV series a la GOT or with its own separate story and mythos. You can borrow elements from different games but you're better off starting with a story from scratch.

Mathezar

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of telling that they've even managed to sort of screw up the Assassin's Creed movie, even with someone like Fassbender backing it and even Ubisoft directly involved. I mean, it's not a horribly bad movie, but I think it didn't perform well enough and future movies are probably off the table. MGS is certainly not something that can be wrapped up in a single movie and would need multiple follow ups. I think MGS would work better as a (Netflix) series. I think everything that has an established universe would work better as a series.

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But I do think a good Metal Gear film, based on MGS3 in particular, and done by a passionate team, could reach great heights.
With you on this one, would work pretty well as a stand alone adaptation.

Oh, I hear you. Yeah, I'm talking the mainstream. Never saw those films. I'll try to watch them eventually but my point still stands. Mainstream films - AND games - are made for money. And I'm fine with that.
I'm somewhat fine with it too. Not so much for games because it limits the type of AAA projects we get as players, but it works out fine for film since I enjoy both sides tremendously. I see no reason why I can't equally enjoy Logan and a Tarkovsky movie, especially since both the mainstream and the independent scenes remain healthy and keep thriving!

With games it's a bit more frustrating because despite the huge variety and innovation the indie scene provides, the lack of funds is a real problem for much of the time, makes me wish ministries of culture from around the world would start paying some attention to game devs...

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
evans looks great with a beard. would be a shite snake though. ideally I'd say Eric Bana or Hugh Jackman.

or just go the other way and give us Michael Cera, with Jesse Eisenberg as Liquid and Ike Barinholtz as Revolver Ocelot

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
lets be honest.

It will end up as Scott Eastwood

9059afdfc1f1fbdba075030a37acb026-620x341.png

Snake = Snake Plissken = Kurt Russells best Clint Eastwood impersonation = come full circle at Eastwoods Son.

I still would prefer Urban lol

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
We need suggestions for young snake lol. Hugh jackman would be perfect for old snake though

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Robin Wright is perfect for The Boss. I once saw someone say Daniel Day Lewis for Ocelot, and that would NEVER happen in a million years, but man that would be absolutely perfect, just picturing him acting out the Liquid possession scenes put the lunacy of the "I drink your milkshake" scene to shame. Gary Oldman could probably kick ass at it too.

Bryan Cranston as Colonel Campbell, Emily Blunt as Meryl. Otacon is a hard one, they'd probably go with someone with a comedy background.

NotGreatBob

Oct 25, 2017
At least this should make a good How Did This Get Made episode someday.

The only way to make a good Metal Gear movie is to not actually make a Metal Gear movie. The storytelling in that franchise is absolute irredeemable trash. I really don't know how you faithfully adapt that franchise with the result being something watchable as a film.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Speed Racer is a flawless masterpiece.

It had a sense of whimsy I could appreciate. I just don't think it landed it as flawlessly as it could. I don't know if I was nodding off during watching it but many times I asked myself "What is going on". What the heck is up with that kid and his monkey friend. Wait is this whacky races?

I enjoy Wacowski output though.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It had a sense of whimsy I could appreciate. I just don't think it landed it as flawlessly as it could. I don't know if I was nodding off during watching it but many times I asked myself "What is going on". What the heck is up with that kid and his monkey friend. Wait is this whacky races?

I enjoy Wacowski output though.
its about late stage capitalism and how it corrupts our natural spirit of competition my man. spritle and chim chim are the uncorrupted youth

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Metal Gear movie adaptations have been an on-again-off-again idea going back many years. Shit, I remember Konami confirming at E3 '06 a movie was in the works and Kojima publically stressed that Uwe Boll was not touching it.

For this to work it would need to cost $250 million dollars and should be a TV show with a million twists and turns.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'll be disappointed if near the end if the Colonel doesn't come over the radio and break the forth wall.

"Why don't you take a break?"
"Maybe go to the concession stand, or check your text messages"

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jurassic World and King Kong.

Yeah this movie is going to be.... yikes.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Robin Wright is perfect for The Boss. I once saw someone say Daniel Day Lewis for Ocelot, and that would NEVER happen in a million years, but man that would be absolutely perfect, just picturing him acting out the Liquid possession scenes put the lunacy of the "I drink your milkshake" scene to shame. Gary Oldman could probably kick ass at it too.

Bryan Cranston as Colonel Campbell, Emily Blunt as Meryl. Otacon is a hard one, they'd probably go with someone with a comedy background.
I personally think Cate Blanchett would be perfect for The Boss.

DDL for Ocelet, yes indeed. But like you said: ain't never happening.

I can totally see Chris Evans as Snake, if he can maybe give himself a coarser voice.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people rally behind the idea of Roberts' love for the games. Pretty sure Snyder loved Watchmen and the guy who directed the Ghost in the Shell remake loved the source material but that doesn't mean they were any closer to making better movies.

Skull Island was way too overstuffed of a movie and by further reading on Roberts it seems he would cram way too many elements into MGS as well... And Jurassic World was just awful.

Clearly Roberts has talent. I just hope he doesn't put shit into the movie to appease the fans like me and himself, make sure that shit elevates the narrative.