• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The final Game of Thrones Comic Con panel ended. Only a few actors from the cast showed up ( The showrunners canceled). It was incredibly strict and they canceled fan questions. According to people that attended, the actors gave non answers in response to negativity of the final season. However, Conleth Hill blamed the media for the poor reception of the final season.

"I don't regret starting the petition," Hill joked, referencing the petition signed by hundreds of thousands of fans demanding that HBO remake the final season. "We're very grateful for your fandom over the years and I think this is the reality rather than a media-led hate campaign."

Probably a bad idea to point the finger at the media when there is a new series coming next year.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time a movie or show comes out and gets ravaged by viewers, the actors say this.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Sigh, this is going to be a fun thread. I would never imagine the actors would publicly critique people they've worked with BUT a "hate campaign"? Really? Yes because everyone suddenly wanted a reason to turn on something they used to adore. What nonsense, just give a stock "I'm proud of my work and the work we did. Period" answer and be done with it

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
The last season was bad. It wasn't any of the actors' fault, but they're not gonna crap on writers or fans so leaves the media.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
So can no popular media just be bad and deserving of criticism anymore?

It certainly getting like this to an extent with GOT. Just look at the thread about D&D . People are starting to use the WORST examples of fan reactions to hand wave any critique away, as though everyone who would like some form of elaboration on the ending is foaming at the mouth in some way or ok with sending death threats/ harassment of the people involved.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats horse shit. I group watched it with friends including watching the infamous second to last episode with like 20 friends in a hotel room since we were at a con at the time.

We were super excited for it. People were at the edges of their seat... audio from the tv aside you could hear a needle drop. It was so tense. Then shit took a turn and before any if us even got our phones out to check twitter we already knew a shit show was coming... because we could lie to ourselves no longer - the show became terrible.

Even the actors were shitty about it in interviews.

How dare they try to pass the buck.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So can no popular media just be bad and deserving of criticism anymore?

Basically. GoT season 8 was a straight up Emperor's New Clothes situation until like episode 5. It was obviously terrible, but if you criticized it people would put you somewhere on the incel/gamergate axis. Like, sometimes shit is just mad wack.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is really hard for actors to trash a show in public even if they think it sucks in private.

They don't want to get a reputation as a backstabber. Nobody wants to hire someone who might later criticize them in public. It is human nature. And most of these actors aren't exactly superstar rolling in job offers.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
No, that's what happens when you write a shitty script for the culmination of 9 years of storytelling.
Sheesh!

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Shoutout to gamergate/incel/nerd culture for sucking so hard that no piece of media is allowed to be be criticized anymore.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've heard some of these actors go ''we all worked hard on it'' when responding to criticism.

Working hard on something doesn't mean you're absolved from criticism, people work hard on things all the time that don't work out. Also, there's no need to take it personally, big projects have a lot of people on them and they can turn out bad because of a few people who have a lot of influence, that doesn't mean that you didn't do your job well. In this case, as actors they did an amazing job and they don't have influence on the writing.

There was no media led hate campaign, such horse shit.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They probably signed contracts where they can't anything else than this...

It is really hard for actors to trash a show in public even if they think it sucks in private.

They don't want to get a reputation as a backstabber. Nobody wants to hire someone who might later criticize them in public. It is human nature. And most of these actors aren't exactly superstar rolling in job offers.

Exactly. Notice how the only one who outright criticized the show is Charles Dance, an older actor who is nearing retirement and already has a slew of roles offered to him. And even then, he criticisms were measured and carefully worded...

I mean, whatever. Sure. It's over anyway. Let the cast move on with their lives :P

You and I both know they'll be fielding question about this until the day they die. Like the cast of Star Wars...

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Varys, aka Conleth Hill saying the exact opposite of the THR title / OP title? "The reaction was fan driven, not media driven"? Or am I misreading? I guess you could interpret what he says two ways but to me it seems to me he is just saying "yeah, people didn't like the last season and thats just the reality of the reaction from fans".

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
"It comes to an end it's gonna piss you off no matter what because it's the end," he said. "If you hated the ending, if you loved the ending, that's great, just don't call people names."
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Jaimie remains best boy. Find another show folks you're not getting the catharsis you were 'owed' by tearing D&D a new one.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've heard some of these actors go ''we all worked hard on it'' when responding to criticism.

Working hard on something doesn't mean you're absolved from criticism, people work hard on things all the time that don't work out. Also, there's no need to take it personally, big projects have a lot of people on them and they can turn out bad because of a few people who have a lot of influence, that doesn't mean that you didn't do your job well. In this case, as actors they did an amazing job and they don't have influence on the writing.

There was no media led hate campaign, such horse shit.

It's one thing to criticize. It's a completely different thing when some fans go beyond that.

It's amazing how fans were using and splicing interview footage as evidence that the cast hated this season etc. Now that those same actors are pushing back. The fandom is being toxic towards them.

It's one thing to criticize. It's something entirely different when a large segment of people are actively cheering for the showrunners to get harassed. It's sick and pathetic.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Actors are stuck between a rock and a hard place in situations like this and its honestly better to say nothing.

You dont want to anger fans or the people behind the scenes.

Regardless, the last season was bad but no fault of the actors. Many of them gave some of their best performances and did the best they could in the season.

And who knows maybe some of them genuinely still think the season is good. Nothing wrong with that, they should be proud of the work.

But attacking the media is dumb.

I feel like the last season of this was never going to be well received. When you build a show based on subversion and not giving the Audience what they want their will never be a satisfying ending IMO.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cast was very obviously disappointed in the season, but they're still probably obligated contractually not to badmouth it.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
You and I both know they'll be fielding question about this until the day they die. Like the cast of Star Wars...
Well... as they should. I don't expect them to burn any bridges, and I don't see why anyone should care about what they say either way. It's not like we're still between seasons and hoping that things get better through our feedback - it's done.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
if "media" = clickbait youtubers maybe, but that's more amplifying what's already there

also, it was just a disappointing ending

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It was massively blown out of proportion, people were fucking embarrassing.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
It's one thing to criticize. It's a completely different thing when some fans go beyond that.

It's amazing how fans were using and splicing interview footage as evidence that the cast hated this season etc. Now that those same actors are pushing back. The fandom is being toxic towards them.

It's one thing to criticize. It's something entirely different when a large segment of people are actively cheering for the showrunners to get harassed. It's sick and pathetic.
Theirs a reason many people get driven away from social media. People are toxic.

It makes me sad when anyone attacks creatives on a personal level just because you dont like their work. Judge the work as much as you want their is no need for personal attacks. You even see it on this forum.

And honestly, a lot of the fan boy websites and Twitter personalities drive a lot of toxic behaviour.

Oct 25, 2017
Theirs a reason many people get driven away from social media. People are toxic.

It makes me sad when anyone attacks creatives on a personal level just because you dont like their work. Judge the work as much as you want their is no need for personal attacks. You even see it on this forum.

And honestly, a lot of the fan boy websites and Twitter personalities drive a lot of toxic behaviour.

This is true.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
The actor who played Euron and the Viking looking Free Folk dude, did shit on the show.

The final season was just a catastrophe. But these guys are just actors. Doesn't mean they have good taste or understand why or if at all something is bad. They are used to the adulation for so so long, and now people are like GOT is shit, and some of these actors are probably just confused as hell, blame it on the fact fans will always be unhappy with endings, which is obviously bs.

But yeah. The combination of GRRM giving them his ending, and DD trying to get to that ending, even though that ending doesnt make sense for the characters in the show, while it surely will in the books, and really rushing it, just made the whole thing really bad. They just ruined the character arcs. Doing shit that was not built up at all, and just made little sense. The biggest disappointment of any show ever, for me. Far worse than lost even, imo.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It reads like he's saying the fans didn't like it truly, rather than it being some media led hate campaign.

Like, it doesn't read how the article/OP frames it to me at all.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The majority of fans who disliked the season have a pretty unified message of "the writing sucks" so actors really shouldn't see it as an attack on themselves or the production crew.

But work hard on something and you might be blind to or won't admit to it's failings I guess.