• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's a product of entitled fucking crazy.

So touche I guess

Cray can be news.
I'm not really sure what your point is. It's entertainment reporting. They're going to write about whatever is controversial or interesting that has to do with popular media.

Cray is always our news. What news have you been reading lately?
LOL This is a bald falsity. Most actors never mention stuff that bombs in this context at all and if they do mention it, it's usually years after the fact in casual conversation and the person(s) in question are owning up to the work being bad.

If actors were whining about the haters every other week, this wouldn't be newsworthy.
The last one I remember was The Rock trying to spin Baywatch as being targeted by the crooked media

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
LOL This is a bald falsity. Most actors never mention stuff that bombs in this context at all and if they do mention it, it's usually years after the fact in casual conversation and the person(s) in question are owning up to the work being bad.

If actors were whining about the haters every other week, this wouldn't be newsworthy.

Is there another pop culture property comparable to Game of Thrones atm? Most tv isnt this big and film actors have the luxury of going on press tours before the films released and if it bombs/gets savaged they don't have to be in the public eye again until the press tour for their next movie. Game of Thrones people have a lot of conventions/post- morteum tv stuff to deal with so they have to defend their work for like a solid 6 months after the fact. The closest thing to GoT's is SW and those actors respond more or less the same.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
It was a horrible season, but there's so many other things to watch and enjoy that I'm just glad the show is over.

It's also extremely rude that D&D canceled and everyone else had to carry the L for them. Really shows how much they cared about the thing that made them famous. They're perfect for this current JJ Abrahms focused Star Wars world and the shitty mystery box approach to writing and film making though.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
It was massively blown out of proportion, people were fucking embarrassing.
The hate they got was absolutely awful and pathetic. People acting like they were 'betrayed' n shit.

Manchildren with nothing going on in their lives need to grow up and stop getting so attached to entertainment media

Basically. I feel like I liked the show/universe as much as anybody and even though that wasn't the best conclusion, this whining from the fanbase was just so cringey to the point that I wouldn't want to even be associated with those people as a fan.

The internet has destroyed people's self awareness.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, no.

It was bad. Very bad. I am trying to move on but honestly this was one of my favorite TV shows ever so the fact that I was so fucking disappointed by it to the point of actively hating it in the last season MUST mean something right? It was terribly written and no defense force will ever convince me season 8 wasnt "that bad" and the hate is "out of proportion". It was terrible, period.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure what your point is. It's entertainment reporting. They're going to write about whatever is controversial or interesting that has to do with popular media.

Cray is always our news. What news have you been reading lately?

The last one I remember was The Rock trying to spin Baywatch as being targeted by the crooked media

Yep, I remember that.

Is there another pop culture property comparable to Game of Thrones atm? Most tv isnt this big and film actors have the luxury of going on press tours before the films released and if it bombs/gets savaged they don't have to be in the public eye again until the press tour for their next movie. Game of Thrones people have a lot of conventions/post- morteum tv stuff to deal with so they have to defend their work for like a solid 6 months after the fact. The closest thing to GoT's is SW and those actors respond more or less the same.

I'd ask for receipts on your claim about Star Wars, but it's irrelevant because the size/popularity of the work in question has nothing to do with what you posted.

The fact of the matter is, most actors never pull this, because most of them find it to be as embarrassing and petulant as we do from the outside looking in. This extends to basically every other art form, too. You can take criticism on board, you can ignore it completely, or you can lash out and do things like this. Most people have the good sense to pick one of the two easier options.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Yeah, no.

It was bad. Very bad. I am trying to move on but honestly this was one of my favorite TV shows ever so the fact that I was so fucking disappointed by it to the point of actively hating it in the last season MUST mean something right? It was terribly written and no defense force will ever convince me season 8 wasnt "that bad" and the hate is "out of proportion". It was terrible, period.

100% agreed. Game of Thrones became a phenomenon precisely because the writing in Seasons 1-4 was so good. Season 8 was utterly abysmal, not only in comparison to the earlier seasons, but also in a vacuum, and I'm confident that if Season 1 had Season 8's quality of storytelling, the show would have never caught on.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are two ways to interpret what Conleth Hill said here. I'm not 100% sure the atuthor of the article got it right.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
They're cowards, but at the same time I'm glad of it. This stink? It's following each of them around for good now. Their careers won't ever be able to escape it, and I don't feel sorry for them one bit for it

Wonder how many of them vote R. Jumping to "fake news/anti-media" is very telling and intentional

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're cowards, but at the same time I'm glad of it. This stink? It's following each of them around for good now. Their careers won't ever be able to escape it, and I don't feel sorry for them one bit for it

Wonder how many of them vote R. Jumping to "fake news/anti-media" is very telling and intentional
Given the writers propensity for injecting racism and sexism into their work on this show, I would say its a very likely chance theyre Republicans

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Anyone watching the show through even a slightly critical lens knew that the last 4 seasons were not on the level of the first 4, and season 8 was the worst of the worst, without The Media telling them what to believe. The backlash was definitely stronger for season 8 because it was the end, but it's facetious as fuck to claim it was impossible to come up with a better final season than the one we got. Especially because fans who aren't professional writers paid millions working on the most popular TV show of this generation have come up with ways the final season could have been better.

I get that they want to defend something they worked so hard on for years, but it is annoying that they seem to think so little of fans that any and all criticism is summed up as "nothing was ever going to please you". It's telling that the writers and producers have so far avoided discussing the final season and defending the scripts. And of course, they have the Emmy nominations now to "prove" to us viewers that we just didn't get their genius writing.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hate they got was absolutely awful and pathetic. People acting like they were 'betrayed' n shit.

Manchildren with nothing going on in their lives need to grow up and stop getting so attached to entertainment media
Posts like this are much sadder than anyone complaining about their favorite tv show being destroyed before their eyes.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, I've heard some of these actors go ''we all worked hard on it'' when responding to criticism.

Working hard on something doesn't mean you're absolved from criticism, people work hard on things all the time that don't work out. Also, there's no need to take it personally, big projects have a lot of people on them and they can turn out bad because of a few people who have a lot of influence, that doesn't mean that you didn't do your job well. In this case, as actors they did an amazing job and they don't have influence on the writing.

There was no media led hate campaign, such horse shit.
No, working hard on something doesnt absolve anyone from criticism, but the actors have no control over the criticism being leveled at the show, and they can't comment honestly without tanking their career and possibly violating contracts.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Lol dude, his last update called HBO Disrespectful for not reaching out to him.
HBO not acknowledging the mass discontent in the fanbase is a message in itself, and maybe not the most diplomatic way to handle an audience that made their show a phenomenon.

In contrast to the Star Wars outcry, which was poisoned by misogyny and childish takes on Luke's storyline, GoT fans are upset for legit reasons that normal people can relate to: great characters met stupid ends, storylines with seven seasons of buildup were abruptly terminated, and even the elements of the finale that did make sense were unearned and inadequately developed.

I'm not going to go to bat for that petition dude's press release fanfic, but I'm also not so simple as to believe that a touch of melodrama discredits the disappointment of hundreds of thousands of individuals.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The thing is in the end trying to get more seasons was playing with fire. Anything could happen; an actor's death, mental breakdown, breaking their contract, anything. What then? It would have been seen as possibly even worst. I'm sure D&D originally really thought they could finish it, but realized they had to trim more than they thought they would have to as they were closing it.

Ultimately the show should have been nine seasons, with 8 and 9 filmed as full seasons like the ones earlier on, one year each, and cut down on whatever it was that made the shooting require two years for less. Season 8 felt like the smallest cheapest GoT season yet.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
HBO not acknowledging the mass discontent in the fanbase is a message in itself, and maybe not the most diplomatic way to handle an audience that made their show a phenomenon.

Dude come on.

The petition is delusional, the fact he feels disrespected that HBK didn't personally contact him is the evidence... the fan fic the verdict

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, working hard on something doesnt absolve anyone from criticism, but the actors have no control over the criticism being leveled at the show, and they can't comment honestly without tanking their career and possibly violating contracts.

I don't expect them to, I wouldn't be honest either if I had their careers, I would just keep my opinions to myself. I'd want another big acting job later, the money is nice in that world.

But when actors(or whoever else) blame this on fans or say things like ''it's impossible to please everyone'' when obviously the majority aren't pleased, then it just shows you can't handle criticism or you don't realise how many people don't think it's good.

And some fans being toxic doesn't mean the writing is good all of a sudden. It was badly written, accept it and do better with the prequel show, or burn the whole franchise further into the ground.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fan led. Media amplified. Overblown. Lost would have been dissolved in a hurricane of it if it had aired now. Seinfeld would have been vaporized. As fans we should understand that we're allowed to discuss it loudly and publicly and distance ourselves from shit like boycotts and petitions and death threats and move on with our lives. It's not even in the top ten worst show endings. Sometimes the ending is doomed by the expectations anyway.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Conleth Hill, I ain't no media, and season 8 (minus episode 2) was not good. If you won't reflect on just how bad, rushed the writing was, maybe you shouldn't be given more major projects.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
atp27fjqho031.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but the original post is deranged and projecting, Hill said the opposite.

"I think this (petition) is the reality rather (instead of) than a media led-hate campaign"

So can no popular media just be bad and deserving of criticism anymore?
The showrunners were being called "spineless cunts" in the other thread, one poster saying he would enjoy them being "jeered" at, being called selfish and frauds, need to be hold accountable (like they should be on trial) because these viewers were acting entitled and didn't get the ending how They wanted it, and maddening logic like when this weird fan was following Coster Waldau about, saying it was showrunners fault, in an bizarre leap of logic.

Sorry! but it's a maddening and personal way to accept disapointment and not just normal criticism.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how one actor on a panel of a half-dozen actors uses the phrase "media-led hate campaign" and the media immediately blames the entire cast and ascribes those ideas to all of them because that makes it much more sensational. It's hard to deny that the media didn't lean in hard to the upset and outrage over the final season. It took them all of a couple hours to come up with a disingenuous headline intended to stoke anger and drive clicks.

If you were going to be a bit more charitable, you have to take into account the context of the discussion, wherein the actor talked about how some of his previous interviews were pulled apart and dissected to make it seem like he was supremely disappointed in shooting the final episodes. It sounded very much like how every apprehensive thing Mark Hamill said about TLJ was immediately turned in to "Mark Hamill hates The Last Jedi."

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The cast itself was down on the season whenever they were commenting on it, lmao.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
We don't live in some special era when media entertainment is always perfect and the best quality that it can be. The story telling in the last season wasn't the best quality that it could have been.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but the original post is deranged and projecting, Hill said the opposite.

"I think this (petition) is the reality rather (instead of) than a media led-hate campaign"

The showrunners were being called "spineless cunts" in the other thread, one poster saying he would enjoy them being "jeered" at, being called selfish and frauds, need to be hold accountable (like they should be on trial) because these viewers were acting entitled and didn't get the ending how They wanted it, and maddening logic like when this weird fan was following Coster Waldau about, saying it was showrunners fault, in an bizarre leap of logic.

Sorry! but it's a maddening and personal way to accept disapointment and not just normal criticism.
That's not what he said. he said all the fans at comic con excited to be there is the reality, not the media led-hate campaign.

In today's times of "fake news" I am very against people blaming the media for everything.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what he said. he said all the fans at comic con excited to be there is the reality, not the media led-hate campaign.

In today's times of "fake news" I am very against people blaming the media for everything.
It looks like he's saying they appreciate the fanbase, even with their petition, and it's not a media led-hate campaign. It's worth noting he didn't say 'the media-led hate campaign' he said rather than 'a'. It's making a mountain out of a mole hill.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I get the actors have to defend their production and cant say anything bad about D&D but they should stop making it seem like there was a coordinated campaign to hate the last season when it was one of the most beloved shows of all time prior to it. This just pisses the fans off even more.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Nerds, please diversify your interests or at the very least stop making the entertainment you consume your entire identity. Normal people don't turn into creepy fan activists when the latest prestige drama turns out to be mediocre.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Conleth Hill, I ain't no media, and season 8 (minus episode 2) was not good. If you won't reflect on just how bad, rushed the writing was, maybe you shouldn't be given more major projects.
The thing is actors can dislike it, but they can also be proud of it, after all the show (and its quality) is open to opinion. Do you really wish to see their careers be affected because they're not sharing the same opinion as you?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The backlash was fair, it was clearly rushed because D&D got excited about working on Star Wars instead & wanted to get out of there.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
It's absolutely OK to say "Man I hated got season 8, the show was a big part of my life and now I'm super disappointed it ended this way".

But what people in this thread are doing, OP being purposely clickbaity and people only saying "they'll make the writers pay" or calling them name is so embarrassing that I'm more disappointed to be associated with people who like the show than with the ending to the show itself.

And no, one defence stands for that kind of childish, spoiled, entitled behaviour employed by people who can't separate an artwork from an author and who can get militant over a fucking TV show.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hate was waaaay too intense, however, it is the worst season of them all storytelling-wise imo.

It was rushed and you could feel it all the way to the end.