• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Now this is a casting choice I did not expect to see

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/cate-blanchett-borderlands-movie-lilith-1234581917/

cate-blanchett-borderlands-lilith-2.jpg

It's game on for Cate Blanchett. Sources tell Variety the Oscar-winning actress is in talks to star as Lilith in Lionsgate's "Borderlands," an adaptation of the popular video game. Lionsgate had no comment.

Eli Roth is directing with Avi and Ari Arad producing through Arad Prods along with Erik Feig, who is also producing via his Picturestart banner. Craig Mazin, who won an Emmy for writing "Chernobyl," has written the latest screenplay draft.

If a deal is completed, it's another major win for the studio in recent weeks following the news they would team with Francis Lawrence on a prequel in the "Hunger Games" franchise as well as bringing on Eric Warren Singer to pen the next installment in the "Now You See Me" series.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed some of the movies Eric Feig has produced but his overall track record is not good.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
A) Borderlands in general has a terrible story, it was only TellTale that actually made the story into what Gearbox thought they were writing.

B) Eli Roth and Avi Arad. Yikes.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
The script is a possibility for drawing big names in. Eli Roth is an interesting choice for Director too.

I wonder if it will lean into the art style in anyway at all too.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Cate just wants an easy paycheck. It's not too hard to memorize the line "Hey killer."

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Either her kids really love Borderlands or she needs funds for her theatre. Either way, this is bizarre.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Oh my god they're making a movie from the Borderlands series? What story is there? What lore is there? What about the Borderlands series is going to carry over into a different form of a compelling narrative other than a backdrop for lootin' and shootin' 80 million guns of however combinations exist?

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I do often wonder how actresses of her stature get mixed up in projects like this.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Please no live action! Borderlands is one of those franchises only could work as an adult animation. the games themselves are adult animated series in video game form anyway.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I love Cate but she's 15 years too old for this role but more importantly, she's way too good to be associated with this project.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the worst thing about Borderlands the setting and characters? This will be terrible.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I'm not going to disparage anyone that like Borderlands' writing, but watching a movie version with that dialogue sounds like my own personal version of Hell.

Dec 25, 2018
Oh my god they're making a movie from the Borderlands series? What story is there? What lore is there? What about the Borderlands series is going to carry over into a different form of a compelling narrative other than a backdrop for lootin' and shootin' 80 million guns of however combinations exist?
My guess is games that arn't really known for compelling stories or in depth lore and characterization (Tales of The Borderlands excluded) are probably seen as more lucrative because of that, they can make a screenplay without worrying too much about fact checking a wiki.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Someone should just do a TV adaptation of Tales from the Borderlands.

that game has way better writing and a better approach to the setting and characters of Borderlands than any of the main games (and inevitably the movie)

Ab4dd0n

Oct 25, 2017
Screenplay by the guy who wrote Chernobyl and Eli Roth directing??

They want to do the next Doomsday?

51NSFgso0uL._SX342_.jpg

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
The first game had a fun, campy tone that was pretty shallow but serviced an otherwise great multiplayer shooter. The rest of the series is written like the fan fiction of some horny 12 year old that simply cannot stop navel-gazing for fear of exploding. I GUESS you could maybe take the broad strokes and assemble it into a plot with completely different characters/writing, otherwise this is a yikes from me dawg.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Didn't even know they were making a movie..

The sirens and claptrap are the only good things about the franchise. Story/character wise.
Maybe Jack too.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
NXWfcqK.jpg

I mean come on, do the words 'Borderlands', 'Eli Roth' and 'Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett' seem like they'd ever go together?!