• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/lizzie-mcguire-disney-plus-revival-1203516882/

5e0df974954bda65764e7413

With the recent Love, Simon Hulu move news from Disney Plus, there's also the other show that is in a weird spot thanks to Disney+ focusing on families but the show focusing on the adults.

Disney Plus does not seem to be figuring it out on the way when it comes to the "Lizzie McGuire" revival.

Production on the show halted in January after the firing of original series creator and revival showrunner Terri Minsky after just two episodes were completed. Her unceremonious exit has led many industry insiders to speculate that the revival will not move forward.

Series star Hilary Duff has remained mostly mum on the subject, but she has made her feelings known in some not-so-subtle ways. Late Tuesday night, Duff posted a screenshot to her Instagram story of a news headline about the planned Disney Plus "Love, Simon" series. Now titled "Love, Victor," the show was moved this week to Hulu after it was deemed not "family-friendly" enough for the Disney-branded streamer. In her post, Duff circled the words "family-friendly" in the headline and wrote above it "Sounds familiar."

"I am so proud of the two episodes we did," Minsky told Variety in an interview. "Hilary has a grasp of Lizzie McGuire at 30 that needs to be seen. It's a wonderful thing to watch. I would love the show to exist, but ideally I would love it if it could be given that treatment of going to Hulu and doing the show that we were doing. That's the part where I am completely in the dark. It's important to me that this show was important to people. I felt like I wanted to do a show that was worthy of that kind of devotion."

Duff declined to comment for this story, but multiple sources close to the production tell Variety that the star is none too happy with the Mouse House for firing Minsky. The two women wanted to do a more adult version of Lizzie for the revival, while Disney wants a show that would appeal to kids and families, something more akin to the original series. Sources say that Disney was initially onboard with Minsky and Duff's take from the time they pitched it to filming, during which time executives from Disney were onset and were aware of the type of content that would be featured in the show.

Production on the show began in November but had paused in early January as Duff was going on her honeymoon in Mozambique. Two days before she returned, Variety broke the news that Minsky would be fired. According to multiple sources, Minsky, her writing staff, the production team and Duff learned that Minsky was being removed as showrunner only after the Variety story was published, despite Variety having reached out to Disney for comment hours prior to publication. (Minsky declined to comment on how she learned of her dismissal.)

Move to Hulu if old.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Disney's ability to greenlight shows & movies that they apparently have no actual intent to make as pitched is endlessly fascinating to me.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Thats too bad, sounds like it wasn't a quality issue but Disney didn't like the direction. Wonder what form, if any, the show will take now..

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Love, Simon news is even more problematic.
"Can't make a show for the gays™, too adult."

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
My buddy is writing a movie for Disney currently, and they sound ridiculous to deal with. Obviously, with the stretch of hits they have going for several years now they can be extremely selective, but when they hold all the cards, it reduces the negotiating power of the creators entirely.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a good thing this was canceled, fans usually don't like it when revivals or continuations try to do something new. See the Star Trek Picard OT. 🙄

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
C'mon Disney. You can't have Feige and Jon Favreau take over Hilary Duff too. Trust your creators and your audience.

Was actually really looking forward to this revival, I loved Lizzie McGuire as a kid.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is garbage, news at 11. Meanwhile, some people still rejoice at Disney acquisitions. It's a pity, the more adult lens of the McGuire sequel sounded better than... "oh hey could you make the adult series' tone more kiddy?"

The company's anti-LGBT sentiment couldn't be much more obvious either, so the Love, Simon series news was sadly unsurprising.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
First I'm hearing of this news. So gay is not "family friendly". How very '90s of Disney.

After Ellen came out Disney's ABC put an adult content parental discretion warning before every episode of the sitcom

www.youtube.com

ABC's "Ellen" parental discretion warning

During the fifth and final season of "Ellen" (1997-98), the first full season after Ellen DeGeneres announced that she was gay, ABC prefaced many episodes* w...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First I'm hearing of this news. So gay is not "family friendly". How very '90s of Disney.

After Ellen came out Disney's ABC put an adult content parental discretion warning before every episode of the sitcom

www.youtube.com

ABC's "Ellen" parental discretion warning

During the fifth and final season of "Ellen" (1997-98), the first full season after Ellen DeGeneres announced that she was gay, ABC prefaced many episodes* w...

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, which airs on Disney+, has multiple gay characters.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
love something the way Disney loves greenlighting projects into full production and then suddenly throwing them in disarray

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand what Disney has against queer people, like I'm just gonna have to assume that's what it is because what the fuck else is it gonna be, beer drinking? Like fucking okay you guys are too pathetic to do it in films, just half ass it okay. But like china ain't gonna watch the love Simon show or this thing, like this shit is shameful

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
How adult were they wanting to make it? Like, you can't have Boy Meets World, the show where they discuss sex and have a literal scene with everyone making out on couches in their dorm lounge, and then say something isnt allowed because it's too adult.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I get that they want Disney+ to be "family friendly", but there is damn near nothing new/original targetted towards adults on there. If I want to go for nostalgia, great. But beyond that? Not a lot.

They need more adult programming, imo. Things that a family could watch but focusing on adult themes and plotlines.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney's ability to greenlight shows & movies that they apparently have no actual intent to make as pitched is endlessly fascinating to me.

Major studios in general seem fucking weird. Reminds me of how Universal tricked Chris Morgan into writing a high school movie with Tokyo Drift—he pitched a movie about Vin Diesel learning drifting, the studio said they probably can't have Vin back and they want to have it set in high school. Morgan said it's not his thing and they left it at that. Then later on they called him back and asked him to write a script based on his pitch. So he did, they met again, and they said, "Great, now set it in high school."

The people running those big studios seem like they live on a different planet regarding how they handle projects. Normal people would agree on a pitch then agree on the scripts before starting production.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
when I saw the title i legit thought it was because of the photographer incident. because why else would I be hearing about Hillary Duff 2x in one day?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The Disney MegaCorp is simply too big and there's now way too many people who can stop anything or executive meddle. Which is why Marvel is the only thing surviving as Feige has enough clout to prevent it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The Disney MegaCorp is simply too big and there's now way too many people who can stop anything or executive meddle. Which is why Marvel is the only thing surviving as Feige has enough clout to prevent it.
We'll see. Going out on stage and saying something that promotes inclusivity is different from actually putting something out there and building a story around it.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, which airs on Disney+, has multiple gay characters.

Don't bring logic into this.

The problem here seems to not be that Disney is afraid of sexuality on D+, it's that they're afraid of sex. You can have gay characters just fine, but they can't do anything other than kiss, just like the straight characters (any sex in any D+ content is generally just implied). Even something as relatively tame as the sex in Booksmart would NEVER get allowed on D+.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It was this exact sort of "family friendly" focus that ruined Girl Meets World. Disney shouldn't be doing sequel shows if they aren't willing to grow with the characters.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Don't bring logic into this.

The problem here seems to not be that Disney is afraid of sexuality on D+, it's that they're afraid of sex. You can have gay characters just fine, but they can't do anything other than kiss, just like the straight characters (any sex in any D+ content is generally just implied). Even something as relatively tame as the sex in Booksmart would NEVER get allowed on D+.

Is this the actual reason, because it's consistent if it is. Everyone was complaining that Star Wars/Marvel were far more violent and 'adult' than the existence of a gay person, but those franchises are also fairly chaste.

It turns it from 'Disney is anti-gay' to 'society is ok with violence but not sex.'

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Is this the actual reason, because it's consistent if it is. Everyone was complaining that Star Wars/Marvel were far more violent and 'adult' than the existence of a gay person, but those franchises are also fairly chaste.

It turns it from 'Disney is anti-gay' to 'society is ok with violence but not sex.'
It has to be because of sex because one of their top shows had gay characters and so does their Disney Channel show by the same creator of this Lizzy McGuire reboot that got fired. Why would she be able to put gay characters in Andi Mack but not this new show?

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

It has to be because of sex because one of their top shows had gay characters and so does their Disney Channel show by the same creator of this Lizzy McGuire reboot that got fired. Why would she be able to put gay characters in Andi Mack but not this new show?

Not only are there gay characters in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series (which was the other big show they had for the D+ launch), it's a little known secret that all three seasons of Runaways are actually on D+ right now in addition to being on Hulu. They're not afraid to have gay characters in shows on the platform, at least from what they currently have on the platform.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

As far as their TV unit is concerned, it seems so, along with other adult themes of course.
As for their movie studios, that's a totally different story and should absolutely be criticized for their coward stance on gay characters in their movies.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Same place where they have this

Bob's Burgers and KOTH are tamer and yet, won't likely be on + unless otherwise.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
They probably wanted it to be like Girl meets world which was completely milquetoast and the duffster actually wanted it to be "something" other then a souless sequel.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
There are at least four named queer characters on the HSM series, so I doubt that's the issue.

Plot summary:
The new story picks up as Lizzie McGuire is just about to turn 30. She seemingly has it all—her dream job as an assistant to a fancy New York City decorator, her dream guy, and a picturesque Brooklyn apartment—but things aren't always as they seem. With a little help from her friends, her loving family and her 13-year-old alter-ego in animated form, Lizzie navigates the ups and downs of adulthood.
They were probably going for a realistic take on the fancy New York City decorator profession, which is notoriously violent and hypersexual in nature, as is generally known.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Disney+ has a uncensored "fuck" in The Sandlot

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
If they wanted it tween focused again, they should have just done a straight reboot.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Disney+: Chopping people in half, burning them, shooting holes in people with laser guns, caving some skulls in with a hammer? Sure.

Also Disney+: Gays? Dealing with homophobia and bullying? SEX?!... AND A WOMAN POSSIBLY ENJOYING IT?!?!
giphy.gif

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Disney being Disney is the reason why they will never win the streaming wars. It's why I am a bit afraid of the Marvel TV offerings as they have to sit directly under the brand. Hopefully over time Hulu becomes the outlet for their less kid friendly fare