• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The video game association that conceived the industry's national ratings system, handles all lobbying efforts and runs the massive annual E3 showcase is in disarray. The Entertainment Software Association is still staggered by the departure of its president and what numerous current and past employees tell Variety was a toxic environment rife with internal politics, witch hunts and in-fighting.

In the past six months alone, half of the association's leadership have either quit or been fired, and a survey of member companies conducted by Variety shows waning faith in the organization and its efforts. An internal survey obtained by Variety also indicates a lack of trust by the general public of the game industry.

[...]

Over the course of a months-long investigation into the departure of Entertainment Software Association president Mike Gallagher by Variety, nearly a dozen current and former employees and industry professionals described an ESA struggling to find a path forward. Questions have been raised by employees and members of the association about its relevance, its efficiency and whether the E3 trade show should be spun off from the lobbying group.

Mike Gallagher
Gallagher's hiring came at a time when the video game industry was still looked down upon by many inside the D.C. beltway, and violence in video games was typically the only reason politicians discussed the game industry. It was also at a time when the impact of the K Street Project — an effort by the Republican Party to pressure lobbying firms to hire Republicans to executive positions — still loomed large.

Several employees described Gallagher as a boss who was very difficult to work with, saying he was seen as manipulative, moody and sometimes nasty. He told at least one person in the game industry that he liked to pit his employees against one another to elicit the best work from them as they vied for his approval. He would occasionally send what sources said were vicious, belittling emails to employees.

But it appears he began to push even further into his conservative views. He was, one source told Variety, a big fan of Trump's — stocking his office with Trump wine and proudly displaying a copy of Trump's boxed game in his office. This was something that some office visitors (often members of the typically left-leaning video game industry) found worrisome, sources said. To make matters worse, Gallagher started pushing for the ESA to publicly support Trump-backed policies when possible, a shift in behavior compared to his arms-length approach to the Obama administration.

For instance, in November 2017 the ESA announced its support of the Republican-led tax reform proposal, a move that angered many in the game industry and, according to sources, cost the ESA some potential members.

A survey conducted by KRC Research in February 2018 (and leaked to Variety) noted that more than half of those spoken to didn't believe video games benefited society and didn't believe the industry showed strong values and moral behavior. Nearly half also didn't believe the industry is ethical or transparent.

By that fall, word floated down that Gallagher knew the board had lost faith in him and that he was negotiating his exit, sources said.

ESA and E3
Internally, there is some question about whether it makes sense for ESA to split its energies between lobbying on behalf of the video game industry and running a major trade show. And this isn't the first time the question has been raised.

E3 is an integral part of the ESA, not just because of the publicity that the show provides the game industry, but also the money it provides the ESA. According to the association's 2016 non-profit 990 tax filing, the most recent filing with the IRS, the trade show made up about 48% of the ESA's entire annual budget (which comes out to about $34.8 million) that year.

There were also positive comments made by member companies. One company praised the association's work in areas such as lobbying, rights advocacy and group trade events. Another said the ESA has been instrumental in protecting it from damaging change.

In terms of E3, the response was much more universal: The annual trade show is recognized as being a big part of the industry, but observers say it is also a show that needs significant rework. And no one seems to know how to fix it.

Source: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/fea...are-association-mike-gallagher-e3-1203211280/
Very interesting article. I don't have a particular opinion but still. I tried to pick the more significant part of the article for a summary but, really, read the whole thing. It's really interesting.

Also didn't find a thread upon searching.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This article is really interesting. Somehow I'm not surprised by the amount of Republican influence in entertainment. I kind of just figured companies/enterprises you'd think would be left-leaning are actually being controlled or influenced by people that are exactly the opposite.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
He told at least one person in the game industry that he liked to pit his employees against one another to elicit the best work from them as they vied for his approval. He would occasionally send what sources said were vicious, belittling emails to employees.

giphy.gif

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He told at least one person in the game industry that he liked to pit his employees against one another to elicit the best work from them as they vied for his approval. He would occasionally send what sources said were vicious, belittling emails to employees.
Ah, so he was a fan of Ayn Rand.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Why am I not surprised the head of the ESA was a right wing conservative Trump super fan. Fuck the ESA. I'm glad so many companies are pulling out of E3.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Might explain Sony's distancing from E3. Whole thing sounds crazy.

Also expecting a huge derail for claiming the industry is left-leaning (as happened a few days ago).

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
None of it is the least bit surprising. Republicans are and always will be complete garbage. Mike Gallagher's treatment of employees is so fucking telling of everything about people like him.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that the ESA is a lobbying, law-oriented entity while also running the industry trade show that gets the most attention worldwide. E3 is definitely having issues repositioning itself so that it can keep being seen as a worthwhile marketing endeavor for publishers.

They lose value by becoming PAX and they lose value by being closed off. I don't think there is a route forward for E3 to be anything close to what was. Technology has severely impaired its value for publishers, and consumers lose their value in E3 as publishers pull away. If they scale towards pax it's probably survivable, just far less valuable than it use to be, but still worthwhile as a Cali showcase.

Ah, so he was a fan of Ayn Rand.
You and I read very different Ayn Rand books

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a tricky thing for me. Having an entity that defends things like recognizing games as art is critically important, but then at the same time fuck that entity for defending blind loot boxes and decrying what the WHO said. People know other things can be addictive and those industries are doing just fine (perhaps not cigarettes), I really think it can only be a net good to put more effort into game addiction research.

I guess I want a group that defends gaming as a medium but not specific company interests, which is pretty much an impossibility.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I came out of this piece wondering if Gallagher's toxicity was the thing that tipped over a lot of these major pubs on disengaging with E3. It makes it sound like some folks in high up places were genuinely distressed by his support of Trump and his general philosophy.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I came out of this piece wondering if Gallagher's toxicity was the thing that tipped over a lot of these major pubs on disengaging with E3. It makes it sound like some folks in high up places were genuinely distressed by his support of Trump and his general philosophy.

I'm sure Bobby Kotick was absolutely flabbergasted by Gallagher's actions. lol

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
That explains why Gallagher was so eager to put on parties with white supremacists at The Daily Caller

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right, I figured there was more going on with E3 than just the normal business stuff. The ESA seems like it's stuck now, torn between representing a diverse industry that is going in totally different directions depending on which companies you're looking at. As is the ESA exists only for the big publishers, but the industry is far more diverse today, leaving a huge sector of the industry underserved. I wonder when we'll see a competing lobbying firm rise up without the baggage, financial and otherwise, of E3 and perhaps find a way to bridge the gaps between the big publishers and small developers.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I wouldn't surprised if Mike was the one who dictated that pisspoor statement regarding harassment back a few years back.

There was also the rumor from Politico during the Trump transition that Gallagher was rumored for one of the FCC commissioner positions, that should've been a red flag alone, though he would've voted to retain Net Neutrality if that ESA lawsuit is to go by.

How he became a guy working for Rick White to being AirTouch's gov relations prez to Bush's tech advisor to NTIA admin via recess appointment/ full Senate appontment is startling.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Following the leadership change in the board, Gallagher asked if they would approve the creation of a new role: chief of staff, with an eye on promoting a young employee, sources said. But several members of the board questioned his need for one.

Months later, Gallagher fired a well-respected, high-level staff member, sources said. Gallagher then created a new title and gave the young employee a raise, assigning her several high-profile roles at the association once held by the person fired, according to sources. This move was particularly devastating to morale, sources said. Internal unhappiness with the series of changes was made worse by the fact that some believed the employee wasn't ready to take on the added responsibility. In one internal email sent to Variety, a working group noted that there were fundamental problems with a major plan by the employee and that it wasn't ready to be rolled out.

Full disclosure: I'm not privy to any of Crecente's reporting/research, nor do I have any sources who've talked about ESA's internal goings-on. But when I see a detail like this tucked into a larger report's narrative, with a peculiar and noticeably vague descriptor attached to someone, I get the sense that it's trying to tell us something that can't be rigidly confirmed without, say, outing an anonymous source's identity.

"young employee" "young employee" "young employee" "her" hmmmmmmmmm.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will affect their ability to fight the recent lootbox bill... could be a perfect storm.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's weird that the ESA is a lobbying, law-oriented entity while also running the industry trade show that gets the most attention worldwide. E3 is definitely having issues repositioning itself so that it can keep being seen as a worthwhile marketing endeavor for publishers.

They lose value by becoming PAX and they lose value by being closed off. I don't think there is a route forward for E3 to be anything close to what was. Technology has severely impaired its value for publishers, and consumers lose their value in E3 as publishers pull away. If they scale towards pax it's probably survivable, just far less valuable than it use to be, but still worthwhile as a Cali showcase.

E3 remains the #1 conduit between the video game industry and the mainstream press/the non-gaming population.

There are only two times of year that video games get anywhere NEAR the kind of coverage that movies and TV get, and that's the holiday shopping season and E3. The rest of the time, aside from the perpetual debates about violence, they're generally held in contempt as something only for children/teens, or nothing deeper than Candy Crush. As a result of the insane popularity of movies based on them, even comic books have gotten a better rap.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
E3 remains the #1 conduit between the video game industry and the mainstream press/the non-gaming population.

There are only two times of year that video games get anywhere NEAR the kind of coverage that movies and TV get, and that's the holiday shopping season and E3. The rest of the time, aside from the perpetual debates about violence, they're generally held in contempt as something only for children/teens, or nothing deeper than Candy Crush. As a result of the insane popularity of movies based on them, even comic books have gotten a better rap.
that was once true, but every major mainstream outlet now has someone covering games, it may not be their full time thing, but they do have them.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
What is in the OP so far is both fascinating and concerning. I didn't properly connect the dots about the ESA creating E3. Their desire to allow it become a public venue instead of a tradeshow now makes sense as a means to make more money for themselves even though it is harming the tradeshow experience. This is an event that is supposed to be a competitor with GDC not PAX and Comicon. The new leadership really needs to understand this.

I found that part about the Republican party being so proactive in getting lobbying firms to hold executive positions for themselves to be the most concerning issue. I knew that this party engineered the country to become more beholden to corporate interests but this indicates a very strong symbiotic relationship that will make governance in any situation so much harder than it needs to be.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Yep. Despite all those reports of games making more money than movies or whatever, non-mobile games are still stigmatised by the wider population.

E3 is the one time it has a chance of breaking through to the front pages without some negative connotation attached.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Full disclosure: I'm not privy to any of Crecente's reporting/research, nor do I have any sources who've talked about ESA's internal goings-on. But when I see a detail like this tucked into a larger report's narrative, with a peculiar and noticeably vague descriptor attached to someone, I get the sense that it's trying to tell us something that can't be rigidly confirmed without, say, outing an anonymous source's identity.

"young employee" "young employee" "young employee" "her" hmmmmmmmmm.
yeah i got the same impression

that part of the article made me go 🤔

probably in the end this was the catalyst that forced him out

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That is a surprising arguement. But it explains alot about the direction of the industry
I wonder if this will affect their ability to fight the recent lootbox bill... could be a perfect storm.
People really think that bill is going anywhere? In the admin that allowed the tax cuts, gutted the EPA, mental health budgets, and just allowed bill collectors to ramp up harassment?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is a really great article ty for sharing. It's pretty wild that this is what it all came to be.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it started by one of those weirdo far right republicans?
Hawley stated that human trafficking is the result of women's sexual revolution in the 1960s, due to the social encouragement of premarital sex and the use of contraception. After receiving criticism for these statements, Hawley reiterated that Hollywood culture was a major cause of human trafficking

Actually he sounds like a throwback to old school shitty republicans.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So, what does this mean for E3 this year?

It was always a dream of mine to go to it, and now I finally have the opportunity to go this year (for just 1 day, but still). Now I'm worried about how it's being organized...

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly in the age where companies have a direct line to consumers and can them to do half the work for them E3 is kinda of a relic. Don't industry shows are great, but holding off big announcements until E3 should be a thing of the past.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Could this be part if the reason that Sony chose not to go? This and not a lot of new stuff to show + seeing Nintendo have success with their directs?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

fortnite has probably been covered more in the mainstream than all E3s combined