• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
variety.com

NBCUniversal in Talks to Buy Walmart’s Vudu

Comcast's NBCUniversal is in talks to acquire Vudu, the streaming-video service owned by Walmart.

Comcast's NBCUniversal is looking to add some Vudu into its streaming-video mix.

The media conglomerate is in talks to buy Vudu, the Walmart-owned entertainment rental, download and free-streaming service, sources confirm to Variety. It's unclear what the terms of the pact would be or the timing. News of NBCU's interest in Vudu was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

The speculation is that NBCU would merge Vudu with Fandango Now, the online-video transaction site that's part of ticketing service Fandango (after it bought M-Go in 2016). It would boost NBCU's digital-video presence as it preps the launch of Peacock, a streaming service that will have a hybrid free and paid model, stocked with originals, licensed content and library programming (including the full run of "The Office").

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as Vudu remains on every platform like it is now I don't care, but I'm not naive enough to think that

JackBauer24

Oct 28, 2017
When I started redeeming digital copies a few years ago, the only service that allowed me to redeem them even passed the expiration date was Vudu. Since hearing that Walmart was looking to sell Vudu, I've gone with iTunes because they're less likely than any of the others outside of Google Play to go out of business. That said, I always keep my physical copy.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
When I started redeeming digital copies a few years ago, the only service that allowed me to redeem them even passed the expiration date was Vudu. Since hearing that Walmart was looking to sell Vudu, I've gone with iTunes because they're less likely than any of the others outside of Google Play to go out of business. That said, I always keep my physical copy.

I was originally iTunes only and planned to keep it that way but then Studios started adopting Ultraviolet and so by force of gravity I had to move to Vudu for most of my movies. Thankfully it's no longer an issue now that we have Movies Anywhere

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I was originally iTunes only and planned to keep it that way but then Studios started adopting Ultraviolet and so by force of gravity I had to move to Vudu for most of my movies. Thankfully it's no longer an issue now that we have Movies Anywhere

Movies Anywhere still has big holes in it though.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
FandangoNow has one of the worst interfaces of the streaming apps. Hopefully they'll leave Vudu as is but I won't get my hopes up too high. I'll be happy as long as nothing gets lost in the transfer process.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Same holes as ever: Lionsgate, Paramount and MGM. When it first launched I thought for sure those three would come aboard, but nope.

Funimation as well. Well that is, when FUnimation first started their digital program, you could redeem on Vudu. Now, it's all on their own separate app. Still waiting for when all of that can integrate, as well...