• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Another source stated that all of the women in the office were given nicknames by male developers.

"Sexist, transphobic and generally toxic behavior was rampant, likely due to the fact that people were working 80-plus hours a week for months on end and there was no accountability for such behavior," the former female employee told Variety via email. "I heard from multiple people that a cabal of male [developers] had nicknames for all of the women in the office, including 'Silver Fox', 'DB'/'Dyke Bitch' and 'Morph,' in reference to a trans employee. A co-worker once jokingly called an 'Injustice Mobile' character who did bleeding damage over time 'Time-of-the-Month Wonder Woman' in the presence of two leads, and referring to women as 'bitches' was commonplace."

Source: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/netherrealm-studio-warner-bros-games-toxic-1203204728/amp/

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, incredibly disappointing. This is what, the third article about NRS being a dumpster fire of a studio?

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't understand. I had many job in my life and never, ever encounter thèse kind of issues.

It kind of shows they might have too much free time if some of them can start having thèse precise type of discussion. There's hundreds of subject you can talk about but some of them chose this. What a trash bin really.

Right now where I work there is a couple of homosexual collègue, and the farter we go is joking about it but everyone know it's a joke and the dude just laugh at it, he's a grown man hé knows himself well enough. So hé just laugh with us and mirror the joke to the hetero. It's 2019. Thèse subject should be in the very past , it's ridiculous by now.

PhotogDoug

Nov 10, 2017
Dayton, OH
Disappointing, disheartening, and disgusting to say the least.

I don't understand how anyone there can think comments like the ones quoted create a positive work environment. I can only hope articles like these help them take a look at the culture they are fostering at NRS.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, they literally did just go woke for good publicity, not because they thought it was the right thing to do? Because it seems like in private they don't care about that shit at all.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I don't understand why all this shit didn't came out during MKX or IJ2 days, why it took so many years?

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
NRS just sounds like a flat out horrible place to work. This shit should not be accepted.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
It seems like game developing and toxicity go hand in hand. My thing is why do these stories always come out post game release? Save for fort nite these stories pop up after release. I don't make the most money but if a job is shitty I leave. Regardless of if I " need it" I'll find another if it's so bad. Sticking it through to get your pay, then deciding after your contract/ project is up to call em out on bullshit does little to change the culture or show the employers that they can't keep talent if they condone shitty behavior. Idk. I would leave immediately and blast them the minute I see some fugazi shit.

Last edited:

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Midway Chicago was largely this way pre-Warner acquisition. Not sure why that would change with the same folks setting the culture.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I don't understand. I had many job in my life and never, ever encounter thèse kind of issues.

It kind of shows they might have too much free time if some of them can start having thèse precise type of discussion. There's hundreds of subject you can talk about but some of them chose this. What a trash bin really.

Right now where I work there is a couple of homosexual collègue, and the farter we go is joking about it but everyone know it's a joke and the dude just laugh at it, he's a grown man hé knows himself well enough. So hé just laugh with us and mirror the joke to the hetero. It's 2019. Thèse subject should be in the very past , it's ridiculous by now.

I think it goes to show how immature the video game industry work place is. What I mean is, all the reports that come out about dev practices (crunch, etc.) and then the behind the scenes documentaries of some devs, it makes me feel like most devs view their work place as more a sorority/fraternity than an actual place of professionalism. I mean, from reports leaders at NR screamed at contract employees saying "how could you betray us?! we know one of you did it", while in a professional workplace it would be more like (or should be): "these reports are disturbing. we want to apologize if we did or made any of you feel like this and would like your feedback on how to do better". but no, they take it personally and think they are assaulting the 'brotherhood'.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I understand joking in workplaces but this is going way too far. Is there no upper management these women can turn to?

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I'm shocked that something like this would happen under the Warner Brothers umbrella, not a good look especially if it's been like this for years.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
This completely explains how multiple someones thought Rousey was a good idea. Kind of amazing bikini ninjas didn't happen.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
It would've been nice for these stories to come out BEFORE the game released.

Now I'm just disgusted with the copy I have lying around.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
So, they literally did just go woke for good publicity, not because they thought it was the right thing to do? Because it seems like in private they don't care about that shit at all.

Appearing "woke" in public is considered good business nowadays. Whether it's backed up by any sort of sincerity when no one is looking is an entirely different question.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
One current employee said that he and others at the studio have been working 60 to 70 hours per week, seven days a week since January. While he said various factors are to blame for the crunch, such as poor communication and mismanagement, he cited a January marketing event for "Mortal Kombat 11," called MK Day, which put the studio behind significantly.

"Everybody said from the get-go, 'No, this isn't going to impact any development time at all; we should be fine. We'll use the content we have now,'" the employee recalled. "Little did our creative director, our publishing team and marketing know that we were already about three months behind on the entire game.'"

This also explains a lot about why shit feels untested, half-assed, or buggy.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
What a terrible place to work.
I sympathize with all the people that are affected and hope for them to find a job that gives them the salary and respect they deserve.

Last edited:

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks , Op. Depressing article, but the whole thing is worth a read.

Things haven't changed in gaming development in the last 20 years . I lived the same low pay crunch, with the promise of a permanent position, mixed with a work culture seeped in misogyny, that soured me hard on working in that field.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I really hope this sort of post-release reporting becomes standard and every hell hole development studio gets uncovered.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will Ed Boon still get on Jeff's couch after E3?

Also, Rousey and one of the NRS leads being a republican on Twitter already painted a picture for me.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just keep scrolling and hoping there's an end but it's just constant confirmation that NetherRealm is horrific . Dangling fulltime gigs to contractors that never get them, women being ignored/dismissed/unhired with male colleagues getting pushed up. Locking contractors in a room to yell at them!

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
"One current employee said that he and others at the studio have been working 60 to 70 hours per week, seven days a week since January. While he said various factors are to blame for the crunch, such as poor communication and mismanagement, he cited a January marketing event for "Mortal Kombat 11," called MK Day, which put the studio behind significantly."

"Everybody said from the get-go, 'No, this isn't going to impact any development time at all; we should be fine. We'll use the content we have now,'" the employee recalled. "Little did our creative director, our publishing team and marketing know that we were already about three months behind on the entire game.'"

This is very enlightening on why the ToT/Krypt aspect of the game was so messed up on release. This was a very ambitious project(the way they did the Krypt, the amount of gears and customization etc.), deadlines were to be met and the pressure increased, due mismanagement, it seems that the game needed more time to be released.

With that said, i really hope they manage to remove the bad apples and put an end to all of this mistreatment. It's disheartening to hear this things, but many people work at NRS and i want to belive that it's not all like that.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Well now I don't believe Rousey was a stupid, ignorant decision.
It seems more likely that some of the arseholes who work there actually support her.

Oct 27, 2017
What a trash work environment. It says a lot of about the higher ups at NetherRealm if this is the environment they cultivate. There will be no consequences either, because at the end of the day the Gaming industry is incredibly small and notoriously insular; management is all tied together through professional networks to ensure they'll be no accountability.

Low key I think a lot of (if not most) companies are like this. Basically utilizing wokeness as a business strategy.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the "heated gaming moment" but applied to the workplace.

"I said the n-word because I was in crunch"

"Code rage"?

I've occasionally been a bit uncomfortable about NRG; given that they inherently produce something with the shock intent of, say, a video nasty, I couldn't help but wonder if they were internally similar to the likes of Running With Scissors who also produce games with an inherent shock factor and have over time turned out to be somewhat shitty folks.

I had hoped I was wrong.