• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Im not saying you're wrong about male dominated enviroments. Im saying singling out one race as a bigger problem ia dumb. I can easily tell you that working in a male dominated enviroment the people ive met that have been the most transphobic, homophobic and sexist people were never white. Racist? Yea id agree that white males would take that.

Where did I say white people are a bigger problem? Homophobia, sexism and transphobia are HUGE problems in Japan for example. Afro Caribbean communities have a huge homophobia problem too.

You've assumed way too much from my statement. This isn't a point scoring contest.

I can tell you that as a black person, working in game development that the lack of racial diversity in this scene is a massive problem, which is perpetuated by the dominance of white people, men especially.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to believe how bad things have gotten at NRS since I left them years ago. The stories I keep hearing seem to get worse and worse, so much more than I ever had to deal with. I feel horrible for the employees that were mistreated, but I also feel bad for the friends I have that still work there that worked their asses off and never contributed to this misconduct having to sit by unable to do anything.

I hope that these articles continue to pop up, but I also hope the employees that simply do their job and don't contribute to these horrible problems are not the ones that suffer the most. The biggest problem is that these issues always stem from a small % of employees in powerful positions (granted, I've heard about a few temps at NRS that have facilitated some of the more recent bullshit so it's not always just the people in power), and yet the people that always suffer are the ones who seem to follow the rules. Hopefully something good can come from all of this though and soon. It's just mind blowing how many articles keep popping up and it still feels like no changes are being made.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think this is because of the industry? I mean they are all grown people. If i were gay and one person or two would laugh at me, i would simply defend and say , yeah I'm gay i love boys anything wrong with that?

And where is the boss in all those scories, arnt there some sort of respect standard?

If i were to bully someone at my job, my boss would immediatly say you are suspended for 3 days straight.

It's an industry culture issue imo. The leadership at these companies are to blame

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Where did I say white people are a bigger problem? Homophobia, sexism and transphobia are HUGE problems in Japan for example. Afro Caribbean communities have a huge homophobia problem too.

You've assumed way too much from my statement. This isn't a point scoring contest.

I can tell you that as a black person, working in game development that the lack of racial diversity in this scene is a massive problem, which is perpetuated by the dominance of white people, men especially.
You make it seem like white people are a bigger problem when you specifically single out white people.are you serious? Thats the whole reason i said you shouldve left it at male dominated enviroments. You really dont think that typing white Male dominated enviroments to boot is making it seem like youre singling them out? Like seriously?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You make it seem like white people are a bigger problem when you specifically single out white people.are you serious? Thats the whole reason i said you shouldve left it at male dominated enviroments. You really dont think that typing white Male dominated enviroments to boot is making it seem like youre singling them out? Like seriously?

I am singling them out, because white male dominated environments are also a big issue in the game industry in Europe and North America. I'm not saying it's a bigger problem, I'm saying it's a problem, and a huge one.

Unless you truly believe it's not? And if so then I'm wasting my time talking to you.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
This is the first time that I'm surprised about this situation. Their modem games make it seem like it'd be the opposite

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What is this victim blaming crap?

If I would be gay or trans I would totally assume my choice and never being shy about it. As I write earlier most of my friends are gay and I'm often being getting poked because I'm the only straight guy and It's alright. At one point you need self mockery and confidence in your person.

But It sounds unbearable in the gaming industry, feels like there is simply no respect standard. They need harrassment meeting asap

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If I would be gay or trans I would totally assume my choice and never being shy about it.

Have you ever in your life considered that you or someone else might not always have that option?

If you felt uncomfortable with your gay friends making fun of you for being straight and decided to ask them to stop, do you feel assured that it would stop? What consequences would you face for asking?

Last edited:

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Sexism, history of severe infractions.
Time of the month wonder woman is actually kind of funny.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure you have, but he lack of racial and gender diversity is a big contributing factor. Unless you're trying to suggest that the video game industry being over represented by white, straight middle class men isn't an issue?

Not saying it is THE problem, but it is A problem partly contributing to the issues highlighted in this thread.

Get the fuck out of here with this. Attributing the laundry list of bad behavior that has nothing to do with race to white people, just cuz? You're part of the problem.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
I think this problem comes along with an increase of immature staff. When companies grow fast without vetting you tend to get a total lack of professionalism.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Get the fuck out of here with this. Attributing the laundry list of bad behavior that has nothing to do with race to white people, just cuz? You're part of the problem.

Where did I attribute the laundry list of issues to white people? Show me.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. One of the big issues the game industry in the west has right now is that it's dominated by straight white men. This has lead to a multitude of issues to do with race representation in the work place and in the games themselves.

Not once did I say that white people are THE cause of this transphobia, homophobia and the other issues that are rampant in gaming. You literally have industry executives doing talks about how the industry needs better racial representation in the work place to help clean up some of these issues, and you have the nerve to call me part of the problem.

The game industry being over represented by straight white men is absolutely an issue and a huge talking point within it. The fuck outta here.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
I am singling them out, because white male dominated environments are also a big issue in the game industry in Europe and North America. I'm not saying it's a bigger problem, I'm saying it's a problem, and a huge one.

Unless you truly believe it's not? And if so then I'm wasting my time talking to you.
Clearly you dont understand what im saying. So im just gonna stop cause it seems purposeful at this point

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I don't understand how any of these things happen in a modern office setting. It just blows my mind, if anyone did anything like this at my office you would be immediately fired.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Skarlet does/did have a variation name called "That time of month" in MK11. I'm not sure if that was official or not.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I will continue to see crunch as a common, possibly necessary evil if humans are going to continue to want things to maintain rapidity of output.

Sexist and racism, however, get no excuse. Awful. Absolutely awful.

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Saw some people wondering what Ed Boon's reaction will be and I'll just mention the GamesIndustry.biz article where we were told by current employees that they didn't even address the issue with their own staff after the Twitter threads and first press feature, other than to remind them of the social media policy: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-05-03-netherrealms-self-sustaining-culture-of-crunch

Also, no change to the DLC release schedule or pledge to change anything about the way things work.

Hopefully, that information is outdated by now but I haven't heard anything to that effect.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They don't even have a woman's bathroom???? Are you fucking serious??? I've heard some sexist garbo happening at game development studios in my day but that's some next level shit.
Yeah, I balked at that shit. The comments aren't great, but something like that which should be intrinsic and basic at ANY workplace in the 21st century is just all levels of fucked up. this says much more about their opinion about women than any comment could.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
As if there weren't enough reasons to skip Mk11. God damn this place seems like a nightmare to work at for many people but heaven for abusers. WB needs to get right on firing everyone implicated.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If I would be gay or trans I would totally assume my choice and never being shy about it. As I write earlier most of my friends are gay and I'm often being getting poked because I'm the only straight guy and It's alright. At one point you need self mockery and confidence in your person.

But It sounds unbearable in the gaming industry, feels like there is simply no respect standard. They need harrassment meeting asap
Your choice?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Just looking at a one minute trailer for their new game and yeah I'm not shocked that the studio that produced this is also a raging misogynist / homophobe / transphobe hell hole.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
No women's bathroom in the department? Literally two men's bathrooms? And they only made one of the men's bathrooms "unisex" because a prominent female voice actor was in the building?

What the fuck am I reading?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I would just hazard a guess that the segment of the gaming population that takes pleasure in horrifically graphic mutilations, dismemberments and disembowelings has a higher-than-average overlap with the toxic sections of the community. Maybe thats an unfair reading though.
It is an unfair reading, especially considering a lot of the devs who are affected by this toxicity are long time fans of the series themselves, and their contributions are all over the games.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Quoting my post from the the thread on the USGamer article in case anyone might find this useful.

I am not sure if this is helpful for people who are following this matter, but, as far as I can find, this is all the original expose articles that have been written about Neatherrealm in chronological order.

0- April 23: Polygon published a report on the crunch culture at Epic Games and how the success of Fornite led to even more crunch. The report contains tippets.

How Fortnite's Success Led to Month of Intense Crunch at Epic Games
Polygon - Colin Campbell
Sources: (from the article) "dozen interviews conducted with former and current Epic Games employees."

Apparently, this report encouraged some people to speak out about the crunch culture at other studios, such as:

1- April 23: James Longstreet (@jlongstreet) who worked at Neatherealm as a software engineer for two years spilled some details about the adverse working conditions he suffered during his time there in a Twitter thread. Longstreet worked on Mortal Kombat, Injustice, and Mortal Kombat X.

Twitter || Threader

2- April 24: An artist by the name of Beck Hallstedt (@beckhallstedt) who formerly worked with Neathrealm quoted Longstreet's twitter thread, subsequently recounting her time working with the studio. Beck was a concept artist for Injustice 2. The tweets were corroborated by a former QA analyst by the name of Rebecca Rothschild (@RBonksR)

Twitter || Threader || Rebecca's tweet

3- April 24: PC Gamer picked up the tweets as the basis of a report which contains recounts from four former QA contracts.

Former Devs Speak About 'Sever Crunch' at Mortal Kombat Studio
PC Gamer - Wen Fenlon, Andy Chalk
Original sources: Longstreet's tweets, Beck's tweets, interviews with four former QA contractors, including Rebecca Rothschild who corroborated Beck's tweets.

4- May 2: USGamer exposes more details about Neatherrealm's horrendous treatment of contractors, and the roster leak that led to major fallout with respect to individual contractors.

This Is How They Get Away With It:" Former NetherRealm Studios Contract Devs Reveal a Troubling Studio Culture
USGamer - Matt Kim
Original sources: interviews with four former contractors who worked on Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2 (none of the sources worked on Mortal Kombat 11 according to the article).

5- May 3: GameIndustry.biz followed up with a report of their own about the self-sustained crunch culture at Neatherealm.

NetherRealm's self-sustaining culture of crunch
Gameindustry.biz - Brendan Sinclair
Original sources: interviews with nine current and former Neatherrealm full-time employees and contractors.

6- May 4: Variety's report exposed another facet of Neathrealm's unsavory work environment, detailing toxic work conditions including harrasements and low-pay.

'Mortal Kombat 11' Game Devs Allege Toxic Work Conditions at Warner Bros. Interactive's NetherRealm
Variety - Liz Lanier
Original sources: (from the article) "a mix of current and former full-time employees and contractors"

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Lol at both of you pretending that game development is not white male dominated field.

Yes it is "White" males that are largely responsible for the culture in gaming because "White" males are the bulk of the work force specifically when talking about an American development studio.

Again, lol at this being your take away from all the shit to talk about in this article.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The bathroom issue is bizarre. I've been in a situation where there was no men's room, but that was because the people on the floor were overwhelmingly women, and it was with all of the men's permission that it got converted to a unisex bathroom.

I will continue to see crunch as a common, possibly necessary evil if humans are going to continue to want things to maintain rapidity of output.

Sexist and racism, however, get no excuse. Awful. Absolutely awful.
I'm pretty sure there are studies that show that crunch time is less efficient than managing time better, but the first things I see when I google "crunch time studies" are just stuff about how prevalent it is in the video game industry.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at both of you pretending that game development is not white male dominated field.

Yes it is "White" males that are largely responsible for the culture in gaming because "White" males are the bulk of the work force specifically when talking about an American development studio.

Again, lol at this being your take away from all the shit to talk about in this article.

Appreciate you weighing in on this. I'm actually shocked that after all the shit that's happened over the past year even, people would find issue with what I said. The lack racial diversity absolutely is a huge issue. To claim otherwise is grossly disingenuous and ironically, 'part of the problem'.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Appreciate you weighing in on this. I'm actually shocked that after all the shit that's happened over the past year even, people would find issue with what I said.

This is gaming side. You shouldn't be that surprised honestly. Nothing you said was wrong though.

The lack racial diversity absolutely is a huge issue. To claim otherwise is grossly disingenuous and ironically, 'part of the problem'.

The same people will say all these issues are not "gaming" problems but rather" society" problems. I encourage you to do what I do and ignore them because they have nothing worth listening to.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate you weighing in on this. I'm actually shocked that after all the shit that's happened over the past year even, people would find issue with what I said. The lack racial diversity absolutely is a huge issue. To claim otherwise is grossly disingenuous and ironically, 'part of the problem'.
It's the sort of position that sounds good if you can divorce yourself from reality.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The bathroom issue is bizarre. I've been in a situation where there was no men's room, but that was because the people on the floor were overwhelmingly women, and it was with all of the men's permission that it got converted to a unisex bathroom.

I'm pretty sure there are studies that show that crunch time is less efficient than managing time better, but the first things I see when I google "crunch time studies" are just stuff about how prevalent it is in the video game industry.
I don't doubt that "managing time better" is better, but there's a world of difference between saying that something should happen and actually putting it into practice. Increasing the efficiency of management is a very difficult thing to do, and arguably endless.

I'm not a programmer, but I've never been on any team that wound up not needing some degree of crunch, and not from poor planning.

Now, for any given team, sure, maybe improving management is something which is specifically viable. But overall, I'd say a much bigger thing is humanity simply...wanting things done faster/sooner.