• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This was buried in their piece about the cast statement:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-cast-james-gunn-support-1202889736/

Sources say there has been a growing feeling that Gunn could be reinstated, especially because Marvel and Disney have been unusually radio-silent on who could replace him since the firing. Production is slated to start at the top of 2019, and following Gunn's removal from the film, it was thought that Marvel and Disney would need to move quickly to replace him, since the replacement would likely have to do some work on the script.

With Walt Disney chairman Bob Iger out on vacation currently, insiders believed a decision would not be made until he returned to work.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm still surprised they haven't named a new director by now, though Iger being on vacation may be what's actually delaying things

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
Even if you are on vacation, that could be the kind of case where you can pick up your phone for a decision.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Question is if HE wants to come back after what happened.

I honestly would just say fuck you and leave. they did him nasty.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I still want him for Green Lantern Corps lol. You know DC wouldn't even hesitate to hire him.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
With the cast stepping out, it possible that theyight have enough to tip the scale back.

I think what we'll see is a situation where Gunn finishes his trilogy and then leaves.

I was hearing talk that Gunn was to succeed Feige when he finished his time. I think that's off the table now

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Question is if HE wants to come back after what happened.

I honestly would just say fuck you and leave. they did him nasty.

That "Fuck You" would also hit the actors who publicly supported him. If this rumor holds any truth (please), he should come back, finish his GotG trilogy and then part ways with Disney for good.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gunn needs to be brought back. The Alt-Right need to be shown that their tactics do not work.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They'd really have to put the pedal to the metal replacing him - like, wouldn't they have to throw out Gunn's script and start from scratch on the pre-production stuff? Not to mention possible complications from the cast. I can't imagine Sean Gunn coming back with if his brother was fired (though his role was never huge).

Maybe they'd push GOTG3 back and move, like, Strange 2 up?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
With the cast stepping out, it possible that theyight have enough to tip the scale back.

I think what we'll see is a situation where Gunn finishes his trilogy and then leaves.

I was hearing talk that Gunn was to succeed Feige when he finished his time. I think that's off the table now
Wow, I'd never heard the bolded. That makes Disney's handling of this entire situation even murkier. Surely none of those Tweets were a shock to them if he had been considered for such a high position within Marvel.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it, and I don't think it's completely out of the question, but I'm not sure if 'growing feeling' is much an indicator of anything.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rehire the guy or continue being the unwitting puppets of a malevolent twitter troll.

Talk about your Sophie's Choice.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand you have tight shchedule and man who knows what to do with this franchise.
On the other, you will have to face FOX News tier propaganda that "Disney rehired a pedo".

Tough spot.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
pretty obvious. also pretty easy for Disney to do with the open letter from the cast. They don't even had to walk back on anything. "Given the feelings and statements by the cast, we feel it is in everyone's best interest to let the original plans for the movie continue. While we feel that members of Hollywood owe it to their fans to take responsibility and acceptance of their words and actions, the outpouring of support from the cast and fans makes the case for evaluating everything from then and since when it comes to people growing and changing"

or something better.

Oct 27, 2017
While I absolutely think that they had a right to fire him, they should have done it the first time, if that's what they were going to do. This time around years later after he's already addressed and apologized for his behavior, the firing seems highly irrational (especially considering the architects of his firing) and they should absolutely look at reinstating him.

I would be genuinely shocked if they did though, there's a lot of misinformation out there and they would have to do one hell of a information campaign to explain the situation. They're going to end up taking a lot of heat from certain circles trying to exploit the situation for their own purposes. I almost see it is impossible for them to backtrack successfully.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
They should just do it.

When Guardians 3 comes out, it's going to be like the "this would've been better if Edgar Wright directed it" Ant Man reaction times 1000.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Well, they better.
Firing him over something he wrote and apologized for forever ago really was a stupid decision.
All the main actors defending Gunn rather than the firing of him says a lot about how much Disney screwed this up.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
They actually have a decent amount of time to make this happen, movie doesn't shoot for months

shooting is one thing, pre-production is also a thing. plans and schedules need to be made, sets need to be build, FX time needs to be planned and payed for, etc. If a new director comes on board and wants to change a lot, it will lead to delays.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'd really have to put the pedal to the metal replacing him - like, wouldn't they have to throw out Gunn's script and start from scratch on the pre-production stuff? Not to mention possible complications from the cast. I can't imagine Sean Gunn coming back with if his brother was fired (though his role was never huge).

Maybe they'd push GOTG3 back and move, like, Strange 2 up?
The script would be kept at this point, too much pre-production work already done.
Iger wasn't the one who fired him.
Do we actually know who made the call. (even if its just rumors/heresay?)