• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Except there should be no punishment. He's not a bad person, did not do anything wrong except act out his shock stick his old films and writing was known for as a Troma baby.

His wrong was a very specific type of wrong, exposing Disney to bad press.

I never said he was a bad person and I don't think he is at all.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just pointing out what we all know, there is a well travel path from offensive to rehabilitated in the public eye and accepting punishment is part of it.

Btw, and this isn't directed at you in particular, as your view and defense of gunn is the overwhelming sentiment on ERA, its amazing how directing a few geek favorite films buys you a ton of defenders.
I'd be defending anyone who made jokes like Gunn did, no matter who he waa. If he made racist or homophobic or otherwise bigoted jokes that shat on gays and POC, then fuck him, but he didn't. You're acting as if he's comparable to rapists and people like Roseanne who spout horribly racist crap who have actual victims. Making a crude joke isn't something that should haunt someone for years. Maybe if he told a baby rape joke today in a room full of children in some Marvel event, but these were dumb jokes years ago on Twitter.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
yeah. That's some unsubstantiated bullshit.

Yeah. Mana, I love ya. But you reported the same type of Twitter drama when you said Clark Gregg removed "Coulson from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." from his Twitter bio, implying the show might be in trouble of renewal, and it turned out it was never on his Twitter bio. :P

Let's try to stay away from the "who follows who" stuff.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd be defending anyone who made jokes like Gunn did, no matter who he waa. If he made racist or homophobic or otherwise bigoted jokes that shat on gays and POC, then fuck him, but he didn't. You're acting as if he's comparable to rapists and people like Roseanne who spout horribly racist crap who have actual victims. Making a crude joke isn't something that should haunt someone for years. Maybe if he told a baby rape joke today in a room full of children in some Marvel event, but these were dumb jokes years ago on Twitter.

When I used the Roseanne example, I was picking a specific situation that would appear similar to much of the public at large. They would see the headline "GOTG director apologizes for offensive tweets", maybe catch a snippet of them and move on. Context, such as when the tweets happened or what support for good causes Gunn has been part of since those tweets, are lost in our soundbite culture/media.

You probably would defend them. I'm not going to argue that. My statement about "banking" support was directed to what I skimmed in the initial thread.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory thread derailment.
It's this kind of bullshit Disney will be fighting against by reinstating him:

Mod Edit: Picture removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clix

Banned
His wrong was a very specific type of wrong, exposing Disney to bad press.

I never said he was a bad person and I don't think he is at all.

That makes sense now that you put it in that context.

I will say this though.This is the result of the last few years trend of shaming on social media for anything someone perceives as a slight or through moralizing. Because while Disney made James Gunn a mass market mainstream success, he was not an unknown. He was very established, always outspoken. Disney knew where he came from (Troma), knew his works after Troma, his writing, etc. It was not some secret he kept. Disney does its homework. Disney knew who he was.

That is what drives me up the wall about this whole thing. Disney knew. They do their homework tenfold. And he was not unknown in the industry despite his films falling under cult status.

It's like if they hired Rob Zombie to direct Captain Marvel and then people dig out shit he has said before or done before. Like, no shit! It's Rob fucking Zombie.

Like, I remember when Gunn came on board, I was actually surprised. I love his work, but it was weird seeing him attached to a Disney/Marvel property considering his sensibilitiess

So yeah, this one is on Disney and I would have sued. Even if I lost. Because fuck that. You knew who he was and was about.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

DjhUkC1UcAEK9YA.jpg

"Bullshit" being the correct word. No one will care other than some losers on Twitter.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Crime: "something reprehensible, foolish, or disgraceful" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crime

I have not misused the word. To Disney, those tweets are certainly "reprehensible" and "disgraceful".

I'm glad you went for #4 instead of the #1 definition. Now you just need to realize that the context of #4 is entirely different and refers to the colloquial use of the word. Unless you think people are facing consquences and jailtime for wasting food.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

We all know that it's bullshit. I don't understand why you even share this. Unearthering whatever non-sense alt-right people say about films will help us how, exactly? It's like Alice said it, they will use this argument and even memes like you've posted either way. You might not be doing on purpose, but this reeks of fear mongering and giving the alt-right weirdos more power than they should ever have when it comes to literally anything.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Yes, let's share 4chan Photoshop images as indications of a real movement with staying power, rather than a hate group that thrives on fuel from others. You're just playing into their hands. Fuckin' stop it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Mana, this is getting a bit silly. You're seeming willingess to just believe what you see on twitter without doing any research or critical thinking of your own is a bit sad, and scary (probably because there are a lot of people like you).

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm glad you went for #4 instead of the #1 definition. Now you just need to realize that the context of #4 is entirely different and refers to the colloquial use of the word. Unless you think people are facing consquences and jailtime for wasting food.

I couldn't really use the first because it very specific as to breaking laws set in place by a government.

I could go with the second, because Disney sees exposure to bad press a "grave offense, especially against morality". Their moral compass is investor driven.

Anyway, we're arguing the specific definition of word, one which you brought to this specific conversation between us, and not the nature of rehabilitation, when the public at large will accept a well known figure who has done wrong back or whether Disney saw his tweets as something that required punishment of gunn or protection from blowback.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like for him to be replaced because GotG2 was garbage (second worst Marvel film I've seen), but not like this.

giphy.gif

It even makes me feel like this about GotG1.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
You carry a ton of weight in the fandom community, don't you have a greater responsibility to not post stuff like this/twitter unfollowing?

I'm the one who made this thread. I posted the Variety link, so I'm being spammed with that sort of bullshit. People need to look outside of Era to see that there are A LOT of people who won't let it go and if they reinstate him it's going to be a nightmare with the Alt-Right Star Wars YouTubers using it as an excuse to go full stupid on Marvel (since the Star Wars hate views are starting to diminish for them)

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm the one who made this thread. I posted the Variety link, so I'm being spammed with that sort of bullshit. People need to look outside of Era to see that there are A LOT of people who won't let it go and if they reinstate him it's going to be a nightmare with the Alt-Right Star Wars YouTubers using it as an excuse to go full stupid on Marvel (since the Star Wars hate views are starting to diminish for them)

So what? Bend the knee to their shit, when they'll be continuing the shit regardless of the outcome? Even if he won't be reinstated, that shit is here to stay.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

The give an inch take a light year crowd. They will never let this go. Letting go doesn't stop their crusade.

Disney has to weigh this against possible loss of profits due to either having to cancel future GOTG movies or less successful movies in the future.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been banned for bringing up guys bullshit. Just my own anecdotal evidence. Maybe you all don't care and it was just a coincidence I got banned and he didn't. Doesn't matter atm because he needs to stop with his current bs.

Weren't you one of the ones calling him out randomly in DP2 threads?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
We live in some crazy times. BronsonLee, would it be too much if I opened a thread to signal boost the fact that Evans and Cheadle debunked the false narrative that Marvel Studios actors were unfollowing James Gunn? I'd make the OP something like this:

Title: "PSA: Don Cheadle and Chris Evans debunk the false narrative that MCU actors are unfollowing James Gunn"

It might be silly, but this is the world we live in: in what shouldn't be surprise to anyone, Chris Evans (Captain America) and Don Cheadle (War Machine) have come forward to debunk the false narrative that they have unfollowed James Gunn in the wake of the director's firing by Disney. Please, don't buy into false narratives and be careful to fact check everything you read literally anywhere, even more so Twitter and social media in general.

GBzVnEJ.gif

Don't believe their lies."

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, what you're advocating for is to let these few fools hold everyone hostage for fear they'll make crap up? I don't understand that ...