• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That's debatable.

I didn't read the entire article, I read some of it. Seeing someone punished for a behavior hasn't deterred others? Getting suspended 80 games hasn't reduced performance enhancing drug use in baseball? This is part of the track I was going toward. Obliviously punishment by itself, without addressing root problems, isn't rehabilitation.

If she showed herself to be truly remorseful by admitting to her mistakes and understanding why she was wrong, pledged to be different and, over time, never made the mistake again? Sure, I would say that would more or less be rehabilitated. Just like, say, an addict who admits to and recognizes their addiction, decides to work on becoming sober and manages to stay sober from that point onward would be considered successful rehabilitation.

You're mixing the clinical rehabilitation with acceptance and trusting an offender to both be contrite and no longer at risk of similar behavior.

I feel like you're making some very fallacious arguments here.

America is the land of second chances and tons of people have been given a second chance. We like to see them suffer a few consequences first and if we don't, its suspect. Would Michael Vick have ever sold a jersey again if he had not spent the time in jail? I would argue no. It would be seen as an injustice left unresolved and he got off and thus to many people's eyes he would have no reason to change. Few truly believe in the goodness present in a strangers heart. Its a cold fucking world.

Not sure what you're trying to make? What's more amazing to me is how a few retweets out context and in bad faith can empower fringe groups to the point of being able force a corporate juggernaut into making rash, knee jerk decisions.

We live in a brave new world. Anyone could and can reach just as many eyeballs as the New York times did in the 20th century with the right tweet. Disney is also the home of "the happiest place on earth", they're not just any corporate juggernaut, they have to try a bite harder to put on a nice mask.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Still with the Roseanne comparisons, eh?

Did you happen to catch her Hannity interview? She's still as big a piece of shit as ever. That tweet is exactly WHO she is. There is no comparison.

I don't watch nor listen to Hannity, my life is too short. I have no respect for and she isn't gunn, nor did I intend to imply that their offenses were on the same level or their individual responses to be the same.

It's still not a good comparision. It's an awful comparision and it really kills any point you try to make.

Exactly.

Did either of you read the part where I brought her up only as something that would appear to be similar to the public at large when they catch a soundbite of it, not those in the know.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah cuz it's totally impossible to support him regardless of the movie's he made. SMH. How about we aren't chumps that are being duped by the Alt right over poor taste edge lord jokes. Treating shock jock jokes as if comparible to actual bigotry or sexual assault. Your posts read so disingenuous on this topic.

I'm not treating it as they are comparable and that wasn't my intention.

If the effort I'm putting in to respond to all these posters doesn't convince you that I'm being Genuine on this, nothing will.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
It bugs the fuck out of me that this happened, and mainly because of HOW it happened. I'm a different person than I was 10 years ago. I said and did things in my 20s that I wouldn't dare say now because I am a different person, I've learned things and I'm more mature than I was when I was in my 20s. I expect it to be this way with anyone. I think Disney REALLY jumped the gun (heh) here by firing Gunn, especially considering who dug the stuff up on Gunn in the first place. It wasn't done to make any of the people feel better that Gunn could have offended, it was done but a conservative troll who was mad that Gunn said Trump sucked. Disney shouldn't have risen to the bait.

Oct 25, 2017
It bugs the fuck out of me that this happened, and mainly because of HOW it happened. I'm a different person than I was 10 years ago. I said and did things in my 20s that I wouldn't dare say now because I am a different person, I've learned things and I'm more mature than I was when I was in my 20s. I expect it to be this way with anyone. I think Disney REALLY jumped the gun (heh) here by firing Gunn, especially considering who dug the stuff up on Gunn in the first place. It wasn't done to make any of the people feel better that Gunn could have offended, it was done but a conservative troll who was mad that Gunn said Trump sucked. Disney shouldn't have risen to the bait.

Still relatively a kid in you 20s. The bar should be a little higher for a 40 year-old man.

Not that that matters at this point, he's already been thrown in the bushes.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

Strange given Variety reported Disney were considering rehiring him.

Ideally I'd have liked for Disney to ask him to return and for Gunn to turn it down.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see how it goes. I can see them going both ways to be perfectly honest. Though I'm hoping for reinstatement.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This "These tweets are unacceptable in the current #metoo climate" is such a complete crock of shit. They were never made in that climate, and would never have been made in it.

Why does dragged up past suddenly become *now* with things like this? It's so goddamn stupid.

If this is true, fuck Guardians 3, I'm not seeing it, even if they get Taika to do it.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Still relatively a kid in you 20s. The bar should be a little higher for a 40 year-old man.

Not that that matters at this point, he's already been thrown in the bushes.
It also matters what things were like when this happened. Back in the 90s and 2000s people were throwing around words like retard, faggot, gay, etc and most people would gasp at using those now. I think the context matters when you're looking at the time this happened. And this guy also did Troma films. It's not like Disney didn't know this was there. Starlord makes a cum joke in the first movie.