• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think having gaming restricted to just a box under your TV is definitely going away. I still think there will be boxes under TVs that do gaming, however.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I can see Google and Amazon jumping in when these things become more common. But I don't see the consoles going away for a long time. But it's interesting to think about.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I completely believe Microsoft is transitioning Xbox into a service across other devices and will eventually move on from their own dedicated hardware. You see the groundwork being laid with their cloud stuff, Games Pass and the Xbox Live apps across Windows 10 and mobile.

I'm less convinced where Sony and Nintendo are concerned, and since those guys are doing better than Microsoft now anyway...

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
In my opinion, I think Microsoft will start releasing their games on other platforms, have it as a "You need Xbox Live to play Halo on Nintendo and PlayStation" sort of thing.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
De ja vu...I've heard the consoles are dying thing somewhere before...

Flippancy aside I just don't see it to be honest.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
tenor.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So many places were these consoles sell don't have semi decent internet .not for another 15 years

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another day another doom and gloom theory.

Watch Xbox still be around by 2040 with a Box.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
they said this shit before current gen and ps4 completely annihilated even the highest expectations

so naw

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that consoles will die anytime soon. However, the idea of consoles being the "only" place to play certain games will.

Oct 25, 2017
There will always be demand for the kind of experiences console gaming consoles bring (which form the baseline for the majority of PC gaming as a result), they're not going away until we reach the limits of game development where the vast majority of games being developed are doable on affordable mobile platforms at the same fidelity.

Also, thinking that worldwide streaming infrastrtcure will be good enough in just one more console generation (so that everyone can do it) is silly. Both from a consumer end and the provider end.

Streaming games requires a shitload of resources on the server's end compared to how streaming for movies/music is done and I think most people that think doing a setup to support streaming for the 100+ million current console users are not giving this aspect proper thought.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
i briefly interpreted this as MS going third party and i would very much like that.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, consoles death isn't something that's written in scriptures or some prophecy that must come true... People keep saying it's coming, but it's not going to magically happen out of the blue because it "has to". As long as people will be ready to pay for consoles, manufacturers will build and improve them. Current gen is selling very well, the big three are working on their successors, and the next gen will probably sell even better as more and more people get interested in video games. I don't see consoles disappearing anytime soon.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sure, I can see it for MS since their main markets are basically the USA and UK, Sony though? Really doubt it, they are pretty much everywhere and internet connections in a lot of their markets are not good, unless internet connections get significantly better there I don't see them going for it.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Streaming will never be accessible so as long as ISPs in multiple countries -- including America -- continue to be shit

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft is not consoles, so whatever Microsoft is doing doesn't necessarily impact consoles as a whole. Nintendo and Sony together make up the vast majority of the market. That and good luck with the Microsoft store MS.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
Naw - I only see the trend of consoles catching up to PC and essentially 'becoming' pre-build gaming PCs.

...which I consider a win for consolers & PCers alike.

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
Yeah I'm sure it is. PlayStation definitely isn't proving them wrong.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldnt mind if gaming became PC/Portable only tbh. Assuming all studios still made their games.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Déjà vu... It's always the same, and then nothing ever happens. Lag is lag, and there's no way around it. And games need specialized hardware, at least in the form of good controllers. People aren't going to give that up in order to play on their phones.