1. ManaByte

ManaByte
    Member OP

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/sony-online-entertainment-dos-attacks-1203022406/

2. Strangelove77

Strangelove77

What do people get out of doing something like this besides just being a dick? Can you make money off this somehow?

3. So he was 18 and stupid when he did it? Punishment is too harsh

4. IIFloodyII

IIFloodyII

They were selling their services. I can't remember exactly what it was though (I think all their bots they use).
    Most just do it because they are dicks.

5. dragonflys545

dragonflys545

Hell no, let this be a lesson of life to be learned.

You don't see millions of other 18 year olds doing this.

6. They haven't determined his punishment yet, based on the OP, at least.

7. *Splinter

*Splinter

The punishment wasn't even decided yet...

8. spman2099

spman2099

Well, I hope he receives a real punishment, but nothing too ridiculously harsh. A long parole stint would make sense. If he ends up in prison he shouldn't be there for any more than half a year or so. He is still just a dumb kid.

9. angel

angel

Nope. He was an adult. Destroy him.

10. Lukemia SL

Lukemia SL

DDOS stuff was annoying crap when it happened. Bomb threats are no joke even if not real. Can’t wait to see the outcome of this.

11. demosthenes

demosthenes

Punishment hasn't been decided and a lot of kids think DDoS attacks and SWATing are funny. No sympathy.

12. Evan

Evan

I do think prison should only be reserved for the worst of the worst, but him being 18 has nothing to do with it.

I can see a dumb 9 year old thinking this was funny, but at 18 you’re an adult.

13. If it was only a small prank, then that’s one thing. To crash an entire online system twice and make a bomb threat to an airport? Fuck that. Hit his ass with the book.

14. JK-Money

JK-Money

Some excuse fam

15. Wolfman

Wolfman

Jesus.

Send the worthless little prick to prison. Send a message and teach him a lesson in consequences he clearly needs.

16. adj_noun

adj_noun

I'd suggest checking out We Are Anonymous: Inside the Hacker World of LulzSec, Anonymous, and the Global Cyber Insurgency by Parmy Olson. It goes fairly in depth into their motivations and is a pretty good read.

17. Wulfric

Wulfric

Damn, that sucks. Poor guy.

Are you an angel? Or a devil?

18. Not to mention there are millions of 18 years olds around the world who have the sense not to do this.

So clearly 18 is old enough in terms of understanding basics of a moral society.

Treat him like an adult because he is one.

19. Ascenion

Ascenion

Swatting I agree with, punish it severely. DDoS? Nah. 10 years? $250,000? 3 years probation? Nope too much. DDoS isn’t physically harming anyone.

20. 10 years max though... Thats a long in prison for "hurting your videogame time". I get it, ita shitty and needs a punishment.. But 10 years and 250k? I'm assuming it will be lower than that when actually given a real punishment but the max sounds too harsh for something like this.. I dunno

21. For what? Stopping you from playing videogames for a little while? Yea because 18 year olds actually act like adults lol

22. cwistofu

cwistofu

It's not just "hurting video game time" that's at issue.

23. Bomb threat. That's no joke.

24. Are we sure that was all him though? From the OP it seems that it was a collaboration with "lizard squad" or whatever

25. Majora's Mask

Majora's Mask

Causing $95,000 worth of damages and there are people who think the final punishment may be too harsh. Lol.

26. ohlawd

ohlawd

• User warned: platform warring
    can't tell if he was involved with the bomb threat

nuking some Sony servers for 10 years tho. it's Sony, who cares

27. Bundy

Bundy

I guess he isn't lulz'ing anymore. Have fun in prison, bro!

28. Can we agree that whoever was involved in the bomb threat deserves a stiff punishment?

29. JusDoIt

JusDoIt

His actions caused $95,000 in damages.

So...imprison him for 10 years. The average cost of imprisonment in the US is over $30,000, so there goes $300,000.

Also, $250,000 fine.

Potentially half a million dollars for $95K in damages.

30. steviejd1

steviejd1

He won't get anything like 10 years. I assume that would be reserved more for taking down a government defence system or something like that.

31. Of course but he could just be the "fall guy" cause he got caught with the other stuff

32. Ascenion

Ascenion

Damages to what? a corporation with enough money to literally not care? I mean he shouldn’t have done it but I’m not defending Sony over $95k in damages when they make a few billion every year. The punishment is too severe unless the bomb threat is counted.

33. TheForgotten

TheForgotten

There is no chance he gets the maximum sentence, But whatever he gets will be deserved.

If they didnt target gaming servers and tried to take down government or banking servers would anyone still think this is harsh.

It can also be used as a precedent in future cases, and hopefully deter others from trying to do the same shit because they think they can get away with it.

34. Deader2818

Deader2818

Should he face any punishment or just "don't do it again"

35. demosthenes

demosthenes

Thoughts on what's appropriate?

36. Oh please we all know that number is inflated like he'll. There is no way it cosr 95000 in damages.

37. Hexadron

Hexadron

He should be fined for the damages caused and time in jail. Even though his actions say otherwise, he was 18, so should be tried like an adult. Hope they make an example out of him.

38. Gridlock

Gridlock

It’s in the OP, he or the group he was associated with called in a bomb threat that diverted a plane. I don’t feel sorry for this guy. I feel sorry for the people who was affected by his bomb scare.

39. Chaos2Frozen

Chaos2Frozen

His name is DerpTrolling?

40. angel

angel

Thank you.

41. Lashley

Lashley

Fuck him

42. steviejd1

steviejd1

Actually the bomb scare was by Lizard Squad and the person this thread is about is from DerpTrolling. Obviously that doesn't mean that there is no connection as the DDOS and bomb scare was on the same day but it was from 2 different hacking groups.

43. ScopehJ

ScopehJ

An example must be made of him, to deter future perpetrators. Maximum sentence

44. noyram23

noyram23

I can't sympathize, he caused a bomb threat, caused headaches to a lot of people, and around 18 I was actually thinking how I will eat tomorrow and continue with school.

45. Noctis

Noctis

Facts.

46. Wulfric

Wulfric

oh shit, my bad. Eating crow today.

47. Majora's Mask

Majora's Mask

You literally don't know that.

I literally will never get this kind of mentality. How much, then, is it worth it for you for someone to get imprisoned for causing damages? Millions? Jesus christ. He made a company lose money knowingly just for being a dick. He needs to be punished and even then the maximum penalty MAY be 10 years. It will possibly be less.

48. UCBooties

UCBooties

Bomb threats and Swatting have the potential to get people hurt or killed and should be dealt with strictly.

49. ManaByte

ManaByte
    Member OP

You know how much datacenter server hardware costs?

50. Bobo Dakes

Bobo Dakes

That's not how the law works.

He hasn't been sentenced, the article just said what the maximum sentencing was.

And no, being 18 ain't an excuse, YOU KNOW what you're doing.

Why are you downplaying this so much?