• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Weird I didn't cause 100k in damages when I was a stupid 18 year old kid. Really dodged a bullet.

tenchir

Oct 25, 2017
Oh please we all know that number is inflated like he'll. There is no way it cosr 95000 in damages.

When the data center went down due to DDoS, what do you think Sony had to do to fix it? Press the big reset button? Or power off and on the router? They had to pay a lot of people to work on it non-stop overtime to resolve the issue and probably buy new hardware too. Not only getting the servers back up and running, but to prevent them from going down again.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Why do people think he's going to get the max sentence?

He's not going to get anywhere near that. Pleading guilty likely means he won't see any jail time.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When the data center went down due to DDoS, what do you think Sony had to do to fix it? Press the big reset button? Or power off and on the router? They had to pay a lot of people to work on it non-stop overtime to resolve the issue and probably buy new hardware too. Not only getting the servers back up and running, but to prevent them from going down again.

Plus the costs incurred due to loss of revenue while it was down, bandwidth costs, etc...

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention there are millions of 18 years olds around the world who have the sense not to do this.

So clearly 18 is old enough in terms of understanding basics of a moral society.

Treat him like an adult because he is one.

A lot of kids don't have the means to launch a ddos attack.

How many people do you know that run a large botnet?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

He's not going to get anywhere near that. Pleading guilty likely means he won't see any jail time.
Yeah, the summary in OP says there was a plea agreement. I didn't see it mentioned in the article, but I admittedly just skimmed it. I wonder if he has any prior run-ins with the law, too*.

I'll be really interested in seeing how this turns out. Gonna be a few months' wait though, I guess.

edit: *I'm not thinking straight. Multiple attacks on Sony, attack on EA's Origin, Dota 2, and the bomb threat that diverted a plane. Hmmmm…

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Oh yay. I have an irrational first-world-problem sort of hate for these kinds of people. Don't mess with my games, yo. Hope they get the neckbeard that's been DDOSing FFXIV lately soon too.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah fuck this guy. It's one thing to just be a dick and take down an online service with a DoS attack, but to call in a bomb threat to an airline?

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Not surprised at the "they are rich so it's okay" responses. If it was your property and your money you would care.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Oh please we all know that number is inflated like he'll. There is no way it cosr 95000 in damages.

I'm actually surprised it's so little. With how much money they must have paid in manpower and overtime to resolve the issue. Then on top of that you have all the lost revenue of people who would have been buying stuff on PSN but couldn't. Honestly 95000 sounds like nothing for that big of an outage.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how the law works.

He hasn't been sentenced, the article just said what the maximum sentencing was.

And no, being 18 ain't an excuse, YOU KNOW what you're doing.

Why are you downplaying this so much?

He's not. Maybe he deserves it but to gloat or stealth gloat about it is kind of disgusting. Humans are irrational.

So he was 18 and stupid when he did it? Punishment is too harsh

Mob justice man.. scary shit.

Chromax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't The Purge. You do the crime, you deal with the consequences.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Should be 50 years so he misses out on a lot of great games and all the advancement achieved in the computer world
Im just glad it didn't really impact the Mindshare Sony had with the people and had absolutely no longterm effects that hurt them in the current Gen.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will be classified as a felony, right?
He'll have one hell of a time trying to find a job.
After potentially being homeless eventually he'll wish his sentence was longer.

Going to jail will be the easy part for him.

Ozgiliath

Alt-Account
Aug 13, 2018
It's in the OP, he or the group he was associated with called in a bomb threat that diverted a plane. I don't feel sorry for this guy. I feel sorry for the people who was affected by his bomb scare.

Ah this happened to John Smedley who was on the plane, that group harassed him for a long time.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah these Lizard Squad fucks were more then just harmless kids having a laugh. They went out of their way to go to the Cemetery where John Smedley's father was buried to desecrate the gravestone etc. if anything they are not getting slammed hard enough for all the shit they did

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Damages to what? a corporation with enough money to literally not care? I mean he shouldn't have done it but I'm not defending Sony over $95k in damages when they make a few billion every year.

When a service like PSN goes down, everyone who is trying to sell stuff on the PSN loses money, not just Sony. It's never happened to me personally, but a DOS attack hitting at just the right time (like say your launch date or when you're doing a big sale) could lose a small indie team a lot of money and most small indie developers don't have much of a cushion to fall back on.

Oct 27, 2017
So he was 18 and stupid when he did it? Punishment is too harsh

For what? Stopping you from playing videogames for a little while? Yea because 18 year olds actually act like adults lol

Are we sure that was all him though? From the OP it seems that it was a collaboration with "lizard squad" or whatever

"He was 18 the law doesn't apply!" - That's not how the law works.
"Punishment too harsh!" - Punishment hasn't been decided yet.
"It's just video games!!" - There was a bomb threat.
"Maybe the bomb threat wasn't actually him!" - Where is this even coming from?
"Numbers inflated!" - You don't know that.

You should leave the gymnastics to Simone Biles because you're not good at this.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What do people get out of doing something like this besides just being a dick? Can you make money off this somehow?

To build a career.
If these people can actually build their own bot servers and program or have knowledge on security flaws instead of just paying someone for a DOS attack, they will usually be recruited under supervision by law enforcement to reinforce their IT infrastructure.

Yeah.
He might actually have a higher chance of getting a very good career out of this than jail time.

Ozgiliath

Alt-Account
Aug 13, 2018

You should leave the gymnastics to Simone Biles because you're not good at this.

Stupidity knows no bounds all think it is 'innocent'.

Oct 27, 2017

I mean... I left the convo a long time ago.. Lol you guys just keep quoting me

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt he will get the maximum sentence, if he is already pleading guilty. Maybe like 30% - 50% of that and that is good enough, really. I'm all for giving people a second chance, if it wasn't a violent crime. Sure, the bomb hoax on a plane thing is absolutely terrible and definitely should be punished harsher, but the server damages are likely covered by an insurance anyways, so the punishment for those doesn't have to be the maximum, but it obviously should still be punished.

Absolutely fine with him being under a 3 year supervision. It either means that he will change or it means that he will fall back into his old patterns and will be caught again. Because, lets face it... These people are clearly not as professional as they think they are.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When a service like PSN goes down, everyone who is trying to sell stuff on the PSN loses money, not just Sony. It's never happened to me personally, but a DOS attack hitting at just the right time (like say your launch date or when you're doing a big sale) could lose a small indie team a lot of money and most small indie developers don't have much of a cushion to fall back on.

Someone gets it, thank the lord.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, just forcing him to pay back what he caused in damages is fair enough. $95k at his age will take years to pay back, maybe even a decade.