• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/captain-marvel-just-ok-fine-women-directors-1203158671/

If we're being honest, I thought "Captain Marvel" was fine, often good. It's a bummer in some sense, because if I liked it less, it'd help make my point a little bit easier. There are people, however, who do not like "Captain Marvel" for reasons valid and not. I say this because: I am dying for more mediocre movies to be fronted or made by women. Without them, there's no way to guarantee more representation and equality — two things women (women of color especially) simply do not have. So if we want movies to get better for everyone, the playing field has to be leveled a bit, and that means I want a ton more totally fine, borderline bad, madly mediocre movies by and about women.

More at the link.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I could swear I remember a joke exactly about this a couple of years back in that women have just as much right to make mediocre and bad movies as males do.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
True equality is when medicority and success can be ahived hy all. There should be asian, black, trans Adam Sandlers.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Movies like Captain Marvel or Black Panther need to be allowed to fail. Not saying CM does, but no one needs to shoulder this burden that "if your movie fails, your marginalized group won't get to be in movies like this anymore." Straight white men never have to fear that. Same thing is going to happen with the first on-screen gay superhero. There doesn't need to be this weight of "oh boy I hope this is a success otherwise we won't get another gay superhero headlining a movie."

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty great. Definitely in the top half of Marvel films, but probably near the bottom of that top half.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even before the movie released I kept hearing about how corny and dumb the movie looked. It ended up being true.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is one thing people often overlook.

Something does not need to be a masterpiece to justify diversity. Not every movie needs to be black panther to argue we should include more PoC and women as main characters.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Agree with the article for the most part

Dr Strange was 'ok', and I still had a good time with it - and I'd place CM above that as a movie

Hell I loved IM3 and that's divisive as fuck

May 21, 2018
I think the article has a point about diversity in mediocrity, but right now any mediocrity just furthers the pre-existing narrative that women can't be as good as men at various things. So I'm a little bummed Captain Marvel isn't as good as it could've been.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
DC got it right all along.

220px-Catwoman_poster.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The article is close.

It's not that we want more mediocre movies by and starring women. It's that it shouldn't be a controversy for them to exist. There shouldn't be entire movements against one "just okay" Marvel movie, just because it's got a woman in it. Where's the hate brigade for Thor: The Dark World outside NeoGAF/ResetERA? There isn't one.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
" I say this because: I am dying for more mediocre movies to be fronted or made by women. "

...what? Where was this sentiment when movies like Lara Croft or Ocean's 8 came out last year?

That's one way to rationalize it.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
They're right to a certain extent. If Snyder and Burton can get away with being hacks there can be others as well. The whole point of diversity in the arts I thought was to elevate what is considered mediocre though.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Werent you just making fun of how forgettable this movie is. What's your endgame OP

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I like that people are forgetting that Electra was also by all accounts a mediocre/terrible superheroine movie.

Im probably the only person who fucking loves it. Yes, I admitted this.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The article is close.

It's not that we want more mediocre movies by and starring women. It's that it shouldn't be a controversy for them to exist. There shouldn't be entire movements against one "just okay" Marvel movie, just because it's got a woman in it. Where's the hate brigade for Thor: The Dark World outside NeoGAF/ResetERA? There isn't one.
It's not controversial though. The "controversy" with Captain Marvel comes from the fact that they were clearly aiming this to be their big statement for female-led superhero movies. There was no controversy when A Wrinkle in Time crashed and burned last year, and that was much worse than Captain Marvel.

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly think it could've used just a few tweaks. Some of the action was just clunky, needed more style, more "punch" to the important hype moments. Certain key shots in key moments of the movie were "and here's a slo-mo ground punch" when it could've been so much more with a little creativity and more inspired choreography.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder, just a thought experiment. If Marvel movies would suddenly start spreading alt-right rhetoric would critics and journalist still defend them? Hopefully it never comes to that but just curious as to what the reaction would be.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
The article is close.

Basically this.

People's need for Captain Marvel to be a "moment" heightens a lot of the reactions to it and how people interpret things. The MRAs need it to be seen as this colossal failure so that they can stick it to those SJWs at Disney. Meanwhile, on the left, a lot of people who see this movie as super important won't accept the idea that it's just a decent movie.

The end goal should be for movies like Captain Marvel to just come out and be movies. The worst part is knowing we'll be doing this all again in December with Star Wars.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Makes a good point. I haven't seen any articles, before or after release, trying to make cynical arguments that 'it had better succeed!'

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoyed it but it felt like the movie first two acts were two first acts and then suddenly had a 5 minute third act. It also didn't really know if it was trying to be a comedy or a serious action movie, it had jokes but were kinda badly timed and fell flat and the songs used felt very out of place and very forced like in Dead Pool. Carol as a character also didn't really stand out.

Ben Mendelson as the skull was amazing though, love that guy.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a black man I felt the same way about Black Panther. It was a decent movie, not ground breaking or anything, some parts were even downright mediocre. But it was nice getting a movie by black people, for black people, that wasn't a typical "black" movie and that still treated it's audience with respect and intelligence.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I need to become the Hispanic Adam Sandler. Like yesterday. Someone give me a 20 picture deal and I'll pump em out in the most half assed way possible. Please.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man, Marvel must be thrilled seeing shit like this. "you mean not only can we phone these in, critics will somehow figure out a way to praise our mediocrity as progressive? praise be!"

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Basically this.

People's need for Captain Marvel to be a "moment" heightens a lot of the reactions to it and how people interpret things. The MRAs need it to be seen as this colossal failure so that they can stick it to those SJWs at Disney. Meanwhile, on the left, a lot of people who see this movie as super important won't accept the idea that it's just a decent movie.

The end goal should be for movies like Captain Marvel to just come out and be movies. The worst part is knowing we'll be doing this all again in December with Star Wars.

Well part of the problem is that the marketing very clearly leaned into the fact that it's the first female-led Marvel film and I've read criticisms that it only uses feminism as a kind of lip service (note: haven't seen it) - when it appears that the film is trying to make a statement (or the marketers are trying to tell you the film is trying to make a statement) people change their expectations or desires based on what they support...

I don't disagree with the premise of the article (I've actually seen another review with this exact same premise) but this stuff comes off as defensive that the first female-led Marvel movie wasn't as good as it should be. If Wonder Woman had just been "okay" and not gotten the critical reception it did I doubt we'd be seeing articles like this about it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Basically this.

A big part of this is on Marvel's marketing though. Captain Marvel is very clearly marketed as a "moment", the movie itself is overly clear about this itself with constantly (directly) referring to how great women are and even using non-diegetic songs in the movie that are about how awesome women are.

It's not like this idea of Captain Marvel being a big moment for female-led movies comes out of nowhere.

Every year there are plenty of mediocre movies about women by women made that aren't "controversial" for being just okay or even bad. Last year we had stuff like Ocean's 8, Rough Night, Girl's Trip and A Wrinkle in Time who all ranged from bad to okay and none of them caused any kind of controversy.

Captain Marvel is marketed like it's this year's Black Panther, but for women, and it being not nearly that good causes this blowback we're seeing right now.