• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I want to cut my meat intake heavily, so anyone can help me with some recipes? I'm new to this :)
Seitan:

2,5dl gluten flour
0,6dl chickpea flour
0,6dl soy flour
A hefty amount of spices of your liking (garlic powder, (smoked) paprika, black pepper, curry, garam masala, chili, ginger etc. work)
A bit of salt or a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce
1,5dl water
(Can add pastes like tomato paste, red curry paste, ginger paste)

Mix dry ingredients, mix liquids/more wet stuff (pastes if you use such). Mix dry stuff and liquids together. Knead for a few minutes, form into a log-type clump. Cut into fillet like slices (about 1cm thick), boil 1,5 liters of water with two vegetable stock cubes and some soy sauce (assuming the stock cubes are such where one is meant to be used with about 0,5 liter of water), a tiny bit of Apple cider vinegar if you like. Cook the seitan fillets for about 25-30 minutes on medium heat.

Take out of the water (pro-tip: the excess cooking water can be used to cook rice or couscous, don't throw it away, maybe add a bit of water because the long boiling can have reduced the vegetable stock + soy sauce liquid to be quite strong) and let them set for a while. Then you can use them like chicken fillets/steaks (seitan hamburgers <3 ). Fry them as is to add a bit of colour or cut them to smaller slices, fry them and maybe throw them in curry sauce, tikka masala or something and eat with rice.

Don't be discouraged if your first batch isn't a success. My first seitan attempts (tried to make chorizo-like seitan sausages) were dry like bread :'D

Seitan is probably the closest you can get to meat at home without industrial machines & ingredients. Seitan is also very versatile. The method above produces something a bit akin to chicken, but you can also make seitan ham, seitan kebab, seitan sausages and whatnot.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Dominos NZ now offers vegan cheese. I'll have to test that sometime.

I like that more and more companies are offering vegan options, it makes it possible to eat out with friends without having to go to specific places or stick to eating fries.

Wow, we can't even get a vegan dominos pizza base in the UK :(

I want to cut my meat intake heavily, so anyone can help me with some recipes? I'm new to this :)

I'll second seitan for a meat replacement, it's probably one of the "meatiest" plant based things you can make. My current go-to recipe is this one, which I then add my own spices to depending on what I want (current batch sitting in my fridge is chicken tikka flavour): https://avocadosandales.com/2017/12/17/chickwheat-shreds/
(Note, you'll need a fairly sturdy food processor for this)

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Wow, we can't even get a vegan dominos pizza base in the UK :(

They literally just released it here last week, so maybe it'll come to the UK later?

Speaking of that, I bought one yesterday on the way back from the gym haha:

1534148998-img-0142-copy.jpg

You have to pay a NZ$3 surcharge to get the vegan cheese (on a $5 pizza lol), but... I actually liked it haha. Nothing groundbreaking, it's still Domino's, but the pizza was good.

I wouldn't be able to tell how close from real cheese it tastes because it's been a couple years since I last ate any though.

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing that helped me a lot was going to the library/bookstore and getting a ton of cookbooks. I can recommend Isa Does It by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, but get as many as you can and try out anything that appeals to you. Also, check out the site www.minimalistbaker.com

Finally, here's one of my favourite recipes: http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2015/02/18/vegan-peanut-cold-sesame-noodles/

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Dominos NZ now offers vegan cheese. I'll have to test that sometime.

I like that more and more companies are offering vegan options, it makes it possible to eat out with friends without having to go to specific places or stick to eating fries.
I checked and Australia has it too.
https://www.dominos.com.au/menu-pizza/vegan-range-Variety.Vegan
Vegan Avocado Veg
Vegan Mozzarella, Avocado, fire roasted peppers, mushrooms, red onion, capsicum, olives topped with spring onion.
(4904kJ^)

Vegan Margherita
Vegan Mozzarella & fresh tomato with oregano
(4120kJ^)

Vegan Spicy Veg Trio
Vegan Mozzarella, baby spinach, fresh tomato, red onion, topped with chilli flakes
(4248kJ^)

Vegan Cheesy Garlic Bread
Hot, creamy plant based vegan cheese on crispy garlic bread topped with spring onion.
(2910kJ^)

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
American Dominos do not have vegan cheese but some of the Subway inspired pizza places (Firestorm, Firenza, MOD Pizza) do and I have to say that their ovens are able to melt down the cheeses way better than anything I have cooked with vegan cheese in my own oven.

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
I almost ate meat the other day and it scared the crap out of me, the Restaurant menu had a green leaf symbol (which means meatless) on one of their items and I ordered it but when it came the color and smell was different. This is a good reminder to unfortunately always check your food before you eat it when you go to restaurants. I feel badly because now that is another meat patty they used up and will have to replace with more meat :(

I am already making progress with cutting dairy out, my local grocery store now stocks this wicked new vegan cheese that is low calorie and flipping delicious. It is Vegan Chao slices from Field Roast in the tomato cayenne.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I almost ate meat the other day and it scared the crap out of me, the Restaurant menu had a green leaf symbol (which means meatless) on one of their items and I ordered it but when it came the color and smell was different. This is a good reminder to unfortunately always check your food before you eat it when you go to restaurants. I feel badly because now that is another meat patty they used up and will have to replace with more meat :(

I am already making progress with cutting dairy out, my local grocery store now stocks this wicked new vegan cheese that is low calorie and flipping delicious. It is Vegan Chao slices from Field Roast in the tomato cayenne.
First time I had a beyond burger my reaction was to ask and double check. It looked too real. :p

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
First time I had a beyond burger my reaction was to ask and double check. It looked too real. :p
Lol I honestly felt nervous at a Whole foods for their baked tofu, I was so convinced it was chicken because of the texture and flavor that I was having a panic attack :0

It can be scary because sometimes ingredients are not listed or servers/chefs make mistakes!

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
My mom, sister, and I went to Whole Foods last night to buy some of their pre-made vegan cookies. By chance, the store near me actually had the Beyond Sausages in stock and in the vegan cheese/tofu section, versus the frozen area. I had the original flavor for dinner last night and lunch today and I have to say that they are really good. My (omni) sister had some of one and said she liked it too. And unlike some other veggie dogs, they fit fairly well in the pretzel dog buns I buy.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
I've had some lentils soaking for 2 days and they are still hard as diamond. How the fuck am I supposed to eat these.

The generic recipe on the box says to cook for 2 hours but no way in hell im cooking something for that long. That's a shit ton of natural gas plus I'm hungry now not in 2 hours.

Send help.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wut? Lentils don't take two hours to cook. More like two minutes. Though it does depend on what kind you have. Red ones are ready super fast, green ones take a bit longer (maybe 15 minutes). Nowhere near two hours though.

Chickpeas you do have to cook for an hour to hour and a half. And you don't soak lentils for two days >_>; More like 2 hours and even that is excessive. Then wash them and throw them to soups or sauces when closer to the end of the process.

Peas and beans that take a longer time are best prepared in big batches since it does take a lot of energy and time. Just store any extra you won't eat in a few days in the freezer.

Skeksis

Oct 28, 2017
So Pure have recently changed the recipe of their Sunflower Spread, taking it from a lovely neutral spread to a putrid margarine flavour with literally the worst aftertaste I've ever experienced. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent vegan spread available to us UK vegans?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Did lasagne too a couple of days ago, as a thank you food for a couple of friends who helped me move yesterday.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
So Pure have recently changed the recipe of their Sunflower Spread, taking it from a lovely neutral spread to a putrid margarine flavour with literally the worst aftertaste I've ever experienced. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent vegan spread available to us UK vegans?
Flora dairy free or Vitalite are probably the best options

Skeksis

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if either are available at my corner shop. Beans on (bone-dry, spread-less) toast is not a snack one should have to endure.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
So Beyond Meat burgers just arrived in my country. Anyone who can try these, they're fucking amazing.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
hello all! I was not aware there was a community on here for this. My fiancee and I have been vegan for a little bit over a year now and both are loving it. I couldn't imagine ever going back, especially not after everything we have watched, read, researched, ect.

Wren Wolfe

Nov 10, 2017
Hey, everyone!! I didn't realize we had a vegan community on Era. Like my fiance sgtnosboss said, we've been vegan for about a year and a half. I consider myself vegan for the animals, and I only regret not transitioning sooner.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone in the UK tried Iceland's expanded range of No Bull/vegan stuff? Looks awesome but I don't have an Iceland nearby so haven't had time to make the trip out

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. The burgers are really good; I believe they're similar to the Beyond Burger (As are the jalapeno ones). The rest of the burgers are so so, the meatballs and sausages are their burgers reformed, the chicken fillets are okay (better friend apparently) and I've heard really good things re the paella and chili (I'd of eaten more but I've been ill this week so I've lost my appetite).

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The people at a vegan potluck we went to over the weekend couldn't stop talking about the impossible burger. I am now on a quest to find a place that serves them.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of reducing my current animal consumption (I'm aiming to get down to half a week, and see where that goes). I've been poking around, reading recipes, and keeping a mental list of my favorite foods and how I'd have to adjust. The biggest hurdle I have is cheese. I love cheese of all kinds. I checked my grocery store, and they don't sell any vegan cheeses. So, I've read the recipes on making things with cheese and they all have a similar theme of "cashews". Want parmesan on your pasta? Grind up cashews. Brie? Grind up cashews. Creme cheese? Cashews. Mozzarella? Cashews (and aquafaba). Now, some recipes I see they need cheese use a tofu mixture (I'm reading a lasagna one right now and it's using tofu and hummus as the primary ingredients to make a ricotta) but vegan enchiladas are using cashews for its cheese.

How are these homemade vegan cheeses? Do they actually emulate the taste, or is it mostly for texture?

Secondly, lots of stuff I see, not just related to cheeses, incorporate nutritional yeast. Is that for flavor/texture, or is it actually acting as a nutritional supplement?

When making homemade pasta or doughs that require eggs that aren't supposed to be sweet, what is the substitute? I've read applesauce or bananas work for baking, but I can't imagine that working for a pasta dough recipe or something similar that is a more savory dough.

Finally, I'm still lost on tofu. Like, what kind to buy for what dishes, how to prepare it, and all that stuff. I have never cooked with tofu, and have really only seen it in the store in a box (silken, in firm or extra firm).

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of reducing my current animal consumption (I'm aiming to get down to half a week, and see where that goes). I've been poking around, reading recipes, and keeping a mental list of my favorite foods and how I'd have to adjust. The biggest hurdle I have is cheese. I love cheese of all kinds. I checked my grocery store, and they don't sell any vegan cheeses. So, I've read the recipes on making things with cheese and they all have a similar theme of "cashews". Want parmesan on your pasta? Grind up cashews. Brie? Grind up cashews. Creme cheese? Cashews. Mozzarella? Cashews (and aquafaba). Now, some recipes I see they need cheese use a tofu mixture (I'm reading a lasagna one right now and it's using tofu and hummus as the primary ingredients to make a ricotta) but vegan enchiladas are using cashews for its cheese.

How are these homemade vegan cheeses? Do they actually emulate the taste, or is it mostly for texture?

Secondly, lots of stuff I see, not just related to cheeses, incorporate nutritional yeast. Is that for flavor/texture, or is it actually acting as a nutritional supplement?

When making homemade pasta or doughs that require eggs that aren't supposed to be sweet, what is the substitute? I've read applesauce or bananas work for baking, but I can't imagine that working for a pasta dough recipe or something similar that is a more savory dough.

Finally, I'm still lost on tofu. Like, what kind to buy for what dishes, how to prepare it, and all that stuff. I have never cooked with tofu, and have really only seen it in the store in a box (silken, in firm or extra firm).
For homemade cheese, a lot of it depends on what you're using it for. Most of them aren't going to be that close to dairy cheese. Some things, like mac and cheese, are a little easier to pull off than something like brie. My attempts at things like mozzarella have been disappointing, but cashew cheese sauces, or even the potato carrot cheese have worked out decently. If you've got the patience for making them, the recipes from Miyoko Shinner's Artisan Vegan Cheese are supposed to be great (and the cheeses they sell are wonderful).

Nutritional yeast is mostly used for the flavor, which is naturally a bit cheesy, though it's also great nutritionally.

To replace eggs in savory food, I usually use 1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp of warm water. You can also do the same thing with chia seeds.

For most tofu recipes that aren't for a dressing, or some type of filling, you'll typically want either firm or extra firm. Most of the time, either will work, though recipes will typically say if they need one or the other. Here's a pretty simple crispy tofu recipe to add to something like stir fry, salads, or rice bowls. And tofu scrambles are pretty hard to mess up, and are infinitely customizable. Here's an example, but you can use whatever spices or vegetables you want. Just don't expect it to taste like an egg scramble (though if you want an eggy flavor, you can add black salt)

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Devin covered most of it, so I'll just say one bit about vegan cheese - It takes some trial and error. I've tried so many recipes before finding something I liked, because there are so many different ways to go about it. I found out I simply don't like most tofu-based cheeses, for example.
Making stuff like vegan blue cheeses at home is a bit more complex (I've never tried it) - But I'd assume most big cities have places that make and sell them. They're very expensive, but it's a nice indulgence every once in a while. Quality varies, but I've had some I thought was just cheese and I panicked for a minute.

Good luck Brian McDoogle!

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I agree Devin covered most things and dude covered a lot as well. If you have anymore questions as you test run and run into issues absolutely feel free to ask. With tofu I am not going to lie. It took me a few runs before I cooked with it well. Youtube is a wonderful resource for this because you can see it in action and go along with it. You can also see all the different ways people create different textures with it. Ill double on what they covered and say different levels of firmness are used for different things. I see a lot of the softest kinds used to make sauces or desserts. The firmest for things you want the pieces to stay solid in. A lot of soups call for a softer one as well. For cheese, its a lot of trial and error like Dude said to find the one you enjoy. Veganessentials.com is a great site to order a ton of different kinds from. It is a bit expensive so I wouldn't suggest it as something you rely on only, but it is nice for a treat. Honestly after a while I just started using even vegan cheese less and less. Its not that I don't love cheese, I just generally don't crave it anymore.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Our local Whole Foods does not have the Beyond Sausages.... vadernoooo.gif

On a related note the vegan burger patties from Costco are pretty decent. We will probably always have a pack in the freezer for when we feel like that. :D

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Hell yeah!

The only time I've ever been able to get them was right before July 4th. I went every day after work for a week leading up to Labor Day in the US and they were always sold out.

I love the Beyond Burgers but you can still tell you're having something that isn't completely a "burger." However, what Beyond did for their Beyond Sausages is complete sorcery. I'd say it's closer to a real sausage than the Impossible Burger is to a real burger.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
So I have to make a rather big (8 people) holiday dinner tomorrow, and I can't settle on a first dish...
Anyone has any cool recipes to recommend? For the main thing I'm making an Indian chickpea curry.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I have to make a rather big (8 people) holiday dinner tomorrow, and I can't settle on a first dish...
Anyone has any cool recipes to recommend? For the main thing I'm making an Indian chickpea curry.
Onion Bhajiis my favourite indian appetizer, or some samosas.
Also just get some poppadoms and chutney to dip from your local Indian store.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Making chapati or buying some naan or poppadoms with chutney could actually be pretty cool. And those onion bhajis look rather easy to make as well, and I love them when I'm eating out.
Thanks guys! I think I'll try to see if I can even do both!

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. The burgers are really good; I believe they're similar to the Beyond Burger (As are the jalapeno ones). The rest of the burgers are so so, the meatballs and sausages are their burgers reformed, the chicken fillets are okay (better friend apparently) and I've heard really good things re the paella and chili (I'd of eaten more but I've been ill this week so I've lost my appetite).
Ok I finally got to Iceland and bought one of everything lol. So far I've had the paella which was indeed very tasty, the green veggie balls (also good, kinda reminded me of christmas actually), tofu burger (pretty awesome, nice smoked flavour) and the chorizo slices and no chick strips. Fried the burger, chorizo and strips and they were great. I also grabbed one of the free from margherita pizzas from Tesco and then thres some fried chorizo and strips on that in the last few mins of cooking for a very tasty pizza.

Iceland knocking it out of the park with the vegan options! They had an entire freezer cabinet dedicated to the No Bull range, plus another cabinet or two full of the usual veggie options