• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It's difficult, also because I want to experiment a bit by myself before telling my familiy.
Offer to cook and make something delicious without even mentioning that at it is vegan.

Just google <insert favourite family recipe here> vegan

Just make literally no deal out of it being vegan. If someone asks where is the meat, just say the receipt didn't call for any.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Happy World Vegan day! (And month). Anyone celebrating (I'm taking a break from healthy eating and making an Italian feast; half Vegan lasagne my mates wife made, quarter an Asda Vegan create your own pizza, garlic bread on olive bread (which was pricey and it's made with ground olives in the flour) and rosemary potatoes.

On another note; Veganism is to be discussed on the news and momentum on Veganism seems to be getting pretty fast (especially over the past few years).

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Offer to cook and make something delicious without even mentioning that at it is vegan.

Just google <insert favourite family recipe here> vegan

Just make literally no deal out of it being vegan. If someone asks where is the meat, just say the receipt didn't call for any.
That would be very out of character for me and my mother is very smart.
I also don't want to draw my attention to myself if possible.
Will just do my research this year and start experimneting next year.

Anyway, I know many people go vegan to lose weight, but I'm already pretty slim and if anything want to gain weight.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I was not aware of this. Neat! I already made Lo Mein yesterday lol so ill just be having that and watching Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Don't you hate it when you buy some vegan products and the company also sends you some non-vegan samples >.>

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The fearful season is starting, haha.
Invitations to dinner in restaurants that don't even know the word vegeterian or vegan, invitations to home dinners with lot's of people and you and your SO are the only vegans there getting only salad and bread... gifts and cookies you can't accept because they have millions of eggs and tons of butter in them. Ahhh, christmas time! :D

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
The fearful season is starting, haha.
Invitations to dinner in restaurants that don't even know the word vegeterian or vegan, invitations to home dinners with lot's of people and you and your SO are the only vegans there getting only salad and bread... gifts and cookies you can't accept because they have millions of eggs and tons of butter in them. Ahhh, christmas time! :D

I was at a family reunion a few weeks ago and I had some food delivered from a vegan cafe for me to eat. Lol. That's my plan going forward, even if the venue is a restaurant, as long as they don't offer vegan options themselves.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Heh, I would never dare to do that in a restaurant, especially when there is lot's of family. I tend to stay low key because we vegans are always the ones who make the "silent time" more complicated and we are the troublemakers anyway.
Also company and department parties are starting, end of project dinner party and so on. Lot's of Steak House votings and what not... "rabbid food" comments for me are already starting. FUN!

In good news, big vegan fair tomorrow with lot's of food and lectures!

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Heh, I would never dare to do that in a restaurant, especially when there is lot's of family. I tend to stay low key because we vegans are always the ones who make the "silent time" more complicated and we are the troublemakers anyway.
Also company and department parties are starting, end of project dinner party and so on. Lot's of Steak House votings and what not... "rabbid food" comments for me are already starting. FUN!

In good news, big vegan fair tomorrow with lot's of food and lectures!

I learned my lesson from last year when I would bring a salad to a gathering and that made me stand out more. I made sure that the food I had delivered this time looked "normal"...so huge sandwiches and wraps with plant-based meats and cheeses. My relatives looked at my food and I could tell they were pleasantly surprised since it didn't appear as alien as they expected. And since the food was genuinely amazing, I like to think that it left a good impression on them regarding the idea of "what a vegan eats".

Cheers on the vegan fair! I was at a veg fest recently and it was heaven being among other vegans IRL as well as normies who were eating and enjoying all the vegan food.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to be the chef of the family and to have open-minded enough family, relatives & friends that they have no problems eating the stuff I make (and are even happy to delegate cooking at gatherings to me, even if I only make vegan stuff).

It's more like, if they want to have something non-vegan, like ham at Christmas day dinner, then they have to do/bring it themselves. I can make potatoes in a garlic-till sauce made to soy milk, red beet soy steaks, carrot casserole, seitan ham, chocolate-orange cake & such for Christmas, but anything else is on them. I haven't yet been able to get them to do a fully vegan Christmas or Easter (meaty ham is still a big deal at Christmas dinner and lamb during Easter dinner) but otherwise I'd say those kinds of "traditional" gatherings are about 90% vegan nowadays, some non-holiday themed ones can even be 100%

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am amazed that there are still people (mostly men) saying "veggies are for rabbids and women" and "I need only the meat in my burger, throw out the vegetables"
It's 2018 and even the most stubborn meat-eaters should have gotten the message that too much meat is not good for you and veggies can be great as well. You don't need to be vegetarian or vegan to eat veggies, duder....

I need to constrain myself on a daily basis to not engange in arguments. Like, I don't want to convince you to change your life, but please notice that there is more out there than meat. Try a bean burger, you might like it.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
anyone know of any vegan ramen brands, I mean like the .25 cent per pack kind we grew up with. Its like all I can find is ridiculously expensive versions because its vegan. It just doesn't make sense to me that I can't find simple ones with veggie broth. It can't be that expensive to just sell a veggie broth kind.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Surprisingly, stuff like chicken and shrimp flavoured ramen CAN be vegan. At least some here are.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Not a huge fan of ramen so I don't remember off the top of my head. I'm in Finland so I'm not sure if the brands are even the same.
oh yeah, thats true. I guess google tells me Soy and Chili flavor of Nissin are vegan. I doubt I can find those where I am at, but I plan to look, because online its like 29 dollars for a 24 pack. which is ridiculous

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
oh yeah, thats true. I guess google tells me Soy and Chili flavor of Nissin are vegan. I doubt I can find those where I am at, but I plan to look, because online its like 29 dollars for a 24 pack. which is ridiculous
If there are any kind of Nissin products anywhere near you, you could ask if the stores could add the vegan flavours to their offerings.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm moving soon, which is a great time to starting to moving towards veganism, but it's pretty intimidating.
Seem like everyone just assumes that if you are vegan, you are also really good at cooking.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Alright, I'm moving soon, which is a great time to starting to moving towards veganism, but it's pretty intimidating.
Seem like everyone just assumes that if you are vegan, you are also really good at cooking.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEjkioV3LO_OIUaSWRxFZ3A

cheap lazy vegan is a good person on youtube who has a lot of basic recipes. Its helpful for people that are beginners with cooking, and also helpful for quick few ingredient recipes when in a rush.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
I just made jackfruit-based pulled "pork" for the first time last night and it was ridiculously easy, not to mention cheap. Literally 3 ingredients and 4 steps...

Ingredients: Jackfruit, BBQ sauce and olive oil.

Recipe:
1. Steam jackfruit until tender, about an hour.
2. Stir jackfruit and BBQ sauce.
3. Pan-fry in olive oil until it caramelizes.
4. Use as a filling in your sandwich or as a topping on rice.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEjkioV3LO_OIUaSWRxFZ3A

cheap lazy vegan is a good person on youtube who has a lot of basic recipes. Its helpful for people that are beginners with cooking, and also helpful for quick few ingredient recipes when in a rush.

I love her videos! And she definitely dispels the myth that it's complicated to cook vegan. It can be an involved process but only as much as you want it to be.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I just made jackfruit-based pulled "pork" for the first time last night and it was ridiculously easy, not to mention cheap. Literally 3 ingredients and 4 steps...

Ingredients: Jackfruit, BBQ sauce and olive oil.

Recipe:
1. Steam jackfruit until tender, about an hour.
2. Stir jackfruit and BBQ sauce.
3. Pan-fry in olive oil until it caramelizes.
4. Use as a filling in your sandwich or as a topping on rice.

I love her videos! And she definitely dispels the myth that it's complicated to cook vegan. It can be an involved process but only as much as you want it to be.
I love jackfruit and you can slow cook it too, or oven cook it. I normally toss canned green jacket fruit with tradional pulled pork seasoning and BBQ and then toss it in the oven. I want to try slow cooking it next. It would be cool to get fresh jackfruit, but it's not around me. It's even hard to find canned

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Tried jackfruit once but it wasn't to my liking. I'd probably need to get some again as made by someone who knows what they are doing with it. Or maybe the hype ruined it a bit. Had heard for a long time how great it is and my first experience was kind of mmeh.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Tried jackfruit once but it wasn't to my liking. I'd probably need to get some again as made by someone who knows what they are doing with it. Or maybe the hype ruined it a bit. Had heard for a long time how great it is and my first experience was kind of mmeh.
I hope you try making it again for sure, or try it by some pro. I was super happy with it

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
For me, becoming Vegan made me love to cook. So maybe it's just that over thing leads to the other :)

Good luck!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Made these for our traditional Christmas eve party with family & relatives:

20181224-194033.jpg

Mango "cheese" cake and chocolate cake, and these

20181226-023914.jpg

It's "porkkala" (the orange stuff) on top of rye chips + oat based tomato-basil cream cheese & red onion. Porkkala is a worldplay of finnish words "porkkana" (carrot) and "kala" (fish), given to a vegan version of a traditional Finnish/Nordic treat, cold smoked salmon. Basically cold smoked carrots, which is really incredibly close to the actual fish dish.

Funny thing is, my cousin's husband ate these and thought he was eating the real deal. It wasn't until he had already left the table and when me and my cousin started talking about them and how they aren't made of fish, which he overheard and he was all "whut? it's not fish?" He did think there was something a bit different about it but mostly in a "maybe this fish is just salted/spiced/made a bit differently" way. He still thought it was fish he was eating, lol.

Also made eggles egg butter (crumbled firm tofu + mashed chickpeas + margarine + kalak namak/black salt) to be used with Carelian pies and orange-chocolate cake, but I don't have an image of those.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017

20181224-194033.jpg

20181226-023914.jpg

It's "porkkala" (the orange stuff) on top of rye chips + oat based tomato-basil cream cheese & red onion. Porkkala is a worldplay of finnish words "porkkana" (carrot) and "kala" (fish), given to a vegan version of a traditional Finnish/Nordic treat, cold smoked salmon. Basically cold smoked carrots, which is really incredibly close to the actual fish dish.

Funny thing is, my cousin's husband ate these and thought he was eating the real deal. It wasn't until he had already left the table and when me and my cousin started talking about them and how they aren't made of fish, which he overheard and he was all "whut? it's not fish?" He did think there was something a bit different about it but mostly in a "maybe this fish is just salted/spiced/made a bit differently" way. He still thought it was fish he was eating, lol.

Also made eggles egg butter (crumbled firm tofu + mashed chickpeas + margarine + kalak namak/black salt) to be used with Carelian pies and orange-chocolate cake, but I don't have an image of those.

Wow Famassu these all look delicious, I would want to try the mock salmon one bad! My family traditionally does all seafood dishes for holidays so that would be a great idea to see what they think.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wow Famassu these all look delicious, I would want to try the mock salmon one bad! My family traditionally does all seafood dishes for holidays so that would be a great idea to see what they think.
It's super easy. You need about 4-5 big carrots (as evenly thick as possible, preferably), sea salt, liquid smoke flavour, vinegar (lemon juice works as well), some fairly neutral tasting oil (rapeseed oil or something, olive oil isn't necessarily the best for this), and you can use till as well but it's not necessary.

Then just peel the carrots, make long, thinish slices with a cheese plane(r) or whatever you have that does the same thing, steam the slices for 15+ minutes (until they are somewhat soft but not so soft that they break up into tiny pieces like mine in the picture ^_^; ) and put them into a marinade made of the ingredients I listed above for at least 12 hours (about 3-4 teaspoons of liquid smoke, 1-2 teaspoons of salt, 1-2 teaspoons of white whine vinegar or apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and 1-2 tablespoons of oil & a handful of finely-ish chopped up till). Might want to start with less and see if it needs more of any of those, especially salt or liquid smoke. Liquid smoke especially can be pretty strong and a lot of people can be put off by its taste if you put even one or two drops "too much", so work your way up with that shit. You can add more later or just before use, even, if the marinade tastes too mild.

BrokenIcarus

Oct 27, 2017
Hello VeganERA!
I'm going to be in NYC soon and would love to know what restaurants I should check out.
HappyCow gives me a gigantic amount of different places, so I'm stoked, but would love to hear any specific recommendations if someone here has any :)

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

20181224-194033.jpg

20181226-023914.jpg

That chocolate cake...
maInbuu.gif

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That chocolate cake...
maInbuu.gif
It's another super easy 5 ingredient recipe.

You'll need:

-150-160g of Some kind of vegan cookies (ginger bread if you want a slightly more special tasting cookie layer, basic Digestive oat cookies work really well too, or if you want even more chocolate-y overdose, maybe the cookie part of standard Oreos)
-70-80grams of some kind of plant based margarine
-1-2 tablespoons of sugar
-4 desiliters of some kind of vegan whipped cream (I use Alpro's soy whipped cream, but others are viable too although don't necessarily give as fluffy a result as soy-based one does)
-300 grams of dark chocolate

1) crush the cookies and melt the margarine, mix those two and the sugar together
2) use one of those round cake pans that has a detachable bottom (20-23cm in diameter if you do it with these amounts). Put some baking paper on the bottom, put together the cake pan and then press the cookie-grease-sugar mix on to the bottom, as even & tight a layer as possible. Then put it in the refrigeranator to cool off and to get firmer
3) melt at least 225 grams of dark chocolate and whip the soy or other whipped cream until it's about as firm as it gets (you can but some sugar into the whipped cream as well, powdered sugar works best here). Then mix the melted chocolate into the whipped cream.
4) pour/scrape the chocolate & soy mix into the cake pan on top of the cookie layer. Try to spread it evenly.
5) grate the rest of the dark chocolate and then sprinkle it on top of the chocolate-soy cream layer. Put the whole thing back into the fridge for the chocolate filling to cool down and get firmer.
6) enjoy!

Pro-tip: I'm not sure if they or anything similar exist where you live, but there are these candies here called Marianne. They have a hard, crunchy mint-y surface and a (firm) chocolate-y center. That kind of candy works well when crushed into the chocolate-whipped cream mix. It can be just hard mint candies as well but the "added" chocolate in Marianne candies works so well in this.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Merry new year all the awesome Vegans (UK here but assume some of you are waiting). Anyone got any Vegan resolutions?

I've been at this a while but I have just started a new local group (the ex who was an ex admin of our last one decided she was jealous people liked me helping). We're massive and I plan to do competitions re various things like favourite Vegan food recipe so we can inspire people (we're just done a Christmas one with 75 pics logged to vote on). I'd also (time and life depending like to attend some animal rights things; we have a cube of truth etc and whilst I apparently can run a local group and admin in the two biggest groups, standing showing people stuff for a few hours terrifies me).

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
These past few weeks I have been eating these Field Roast brand sausages. They are pretty good.

FF-Frank-Straight-768x434.png

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I finally found and had beyond sausages.
They are the real deal!
2Q5sOka.jpg

With melted follow your heart cheese on top.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
I finally found and had beyond sausages.
They are the real deal!
2Q5sOka.jpg

With melted follow your heart cheese on top.
These are always out of stock whenever I check the WF near my job. The one time I did get them, I nabbed one of each kind for a Labor Day party. My roommate had one and he legitimately could not tell that they were meat-free.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Beyond Meat burgers are available here finally (maybe the most Northern location on Earth currently, at least one of the most northern ones?). But I heard the burger is otherwise not all that amazing (shitty fillings otherwise and the vegan mayo isn't all that tasty). The restaurant has said they will work on it so I'm waiting a bit before I go taste one.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing a Divinity OS2 at the moment and this got a chuckle out of me.

e49xCy7.png

It struck me as a pretty obvious "humane animal slaughter" reference. Awesome game!

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Apparently Beyond Meat burgers are available here finally (maybe the most Northern location on Earth currently, at least one of the most northern ones?). But I heard the burger is otherwise not all that amazing (shitty fillings otherwise and the vegan mayo isn't all that tasty). The restaurant has said they will work on it so I'm waiting a bit before I go taste one.
The patties are great, the rest of the burger obviously depends on the restaurant.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Lord of the Fries (Aus/NZ) recently got the Beyond Meat pattie as well. I tried it a bit before christmas and it was really good, but I didn't think it was a whole $4 better than the normal pattie which is already really good. $15 for a burger that's already a bit on the small size is a bit much haha

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Lord of the Fries (Aus/NZ) recently got the Beyond Meat pattie as well. I tried it a bit before christmas and it was really good, but I didn't think it was a whole $4 better than the normal pattie which is already really good. $15 for a burger that's already a bit on the small size is a bit much haha

I don't mind it but go back and try the Stinger burger. It's amazing, my wife and I absolutely love it.

uVdlZNZ_d.jpg

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm now trying to be vegan for a several days.
Unfortunately my workplace doesn't offer much vegan food, often only vegetarian so I cheated a bit already.
I need to start bringing my own food I guess.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm now trying to be vegan for a several days.
Unfortunately my workplace doesn't offer much vegan food, often only vegetarian so I cheated a bit already.
I need to start bringing my own food I guess.
Don't beat yourself up. Especially in a work setting where I have limited control (e.g. going out to dinner with customers/colleagues; being on a business trip in the middle of nowhere) I am usually content if I find something vegetarian.
I try not to be dogmatic about it.
That said I do bring lunch to work every day. 😋

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Hey you guys, I was wondering if there are any nutritional veggie/fruit dishes I can eat that are cooked yet still retains most of its nutritional value. I keep hearing how a lot of vegetables are better raw, but some of them I can only eat cooked (well, they're at least palatable to me cooked). I'm trying to make an attempt to have a vegan diet for three days out of the week and expand from there, so I'm testing my limits. Thanks!

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Hey you guys, I was wondering if there are any nutritional veggie/fruit dishes I can eat that are cooked yet still retains most of its nutritional value. I keep hearing how a lot of vegetables are better raw, but some of them I can only eat cooked (well, they're at least palatable to me cooked). I'm trying to make an attempt to have a vegan diet for three days out of the week and expand from there, so I'm testing my limits. Thanks!
Maybe try steaming, that maintains more nutrients than cooking.
That said, cooked vegetables still pack a punch, unless you're specifically missing something or malnourished you probably don't need to worry about it too much.