• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey you guys, I was wondering if there are any nutritional veggie/fruit dishes I can eat that are cooked yet still retains most of its nutritional value. I keep hearing how a lot of vegetables are better raw, but some of them I can only eat cooked (well, they're at least palatable to me cooked). I'm trying to make an attempt to have a vegan diet for three days out of the week and expand from there, so I'm testing my limits. Thanks!
Differences between cooked and raw are mostly negligible, and often cooked vegetables become more nutritious since the cooking allows us to break them down more easily. If you want to know more, this article is pretty good.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe try steaming, that maintains more nutrients than cooking.
That said, cooked vegetables still pack a punch, unless you're specifically missing something or malnourished you probably don't need to worry about it too much.
Differences between cooked and raw are mostly negligible, and often cooked vegetables become more nutritious since the cooking allows us to break them down more easily. If you want to know more, this article is pretty good.
Thanks for the advice!

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hey for any Aussies in here, Woolworths are now selling these.

8rMtUNg.jpg

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Anyone here ever been to Japan before? How easy was it to find stuff you could eat? I'll be visiting for a bit more than two weeks at the end of the year and I'm a bit apprehensive about that aspect of the trip...

Hey for any Aussies in here, Woolworths are now selling these.

8rMtUNg.jpg

:o I'll check my local Countdown next time I go there, it's the same company so maybe they'll have those.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
How do you all freeze your vegetables and fruits? Two items my grocery store occasionally is out of stock of papayas and beets. So, I am thinking of stocking them and freezing some for back-up. Should I use saran wrap or freezer bags, or anything else?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of Filipino and Thai dishes use fish sauce. Is that the thin brown liquid? (Aka "Patis"?)
Yes, I know it's commonly used in that part of the world, which is why I decided to test this new product out, since I like food from that region/part of the world where fish sauce usage is fairly common but can't eat it anymore since actual fish sauce isn't vegan. :P But there are, like, a gazillion recipes if you go to google "(thai) recipes fish sauce" and I was just wondering if anyone here uses this kind of vegan version and has some tried & true recipes they've found to be delicious. Or just have some past favorite that could be veganized by switching from fish sauce to this vegan version (and maybe from chicken/fish to seitan or something.

Yeah, this is supposed to be vegan patis. It's from a company called Thai Taste (UK). It is kind of brown. It's made of water, salt, sugar, seaweed extract, soybean protein, yeast extract and vinegar.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, I know it's commonly used in that part of the world, which is why I decided to test this new product out, since I like food from that region/part of the world where fish sauce usage is fairly common but can't eat it anymore since actual fish sauce isn't vegan. :P But there are, like, a gazillion recipes if you go to google "(thai) recipes fish sauce" and I was just wondering if anyone here uses this kind of vegan version and has some tried & true recipes they've found to be delicious. Or just have some past favorite that could be veganized by switching from fish sauce to this vegan version (and maybe from chicken/fish to seitan or something.

Yeah, this is supposed to be vegan patis. It's from a company called Thai Taste (UK). It is kind of brown. It's made of water, salt, sugar, seaweed extract, soybean protein, yeast extract and vinegar.

Personally I recommend veganized Tinola! That's classic Filipino comfort food and something I haven't had in years. Thankfully there is vegan fish sauce in some stores here in Manila so I can attempt it one day.

slutbomb

Oct 29, 2017
detroit
Here is a good recipe for a dipping sauce for spring rolls or the like:

I tried a vegan fish sauce once but it really wasn't very similar to what I remember actual fish sauce tasting like. Hopefully yours is better.

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone here ever been to/volunteered at a sanctuary farm? What was it like?

I found out there is one fairly near to where I live and they offer tours/volunteering. Obviously going to be different everywhere but I'd be interested to hear what your experience was.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Whee, Vegan thread for a new ERA :)
I just returned from a little weekend holiday from Tallinn, Estonia. Paid a visit to my favorite Tallinn restaurant: V
14692131_811151332360457_6937666216277103409_o_.jpg

Absolutely recomended place in Tallinn, i try to get a table everytime i visit, you should try to book a table atleast a week before hand, place is quite tiny and very popular.

Proper fine dining experience, everything is vegan, and pretty cheap. Full three course meal cost 42€ for two.
I had Rice noodle salad with peanut Icecream sauce, kale pie mashed potatoes and carrot thingy, almond cake and hot cocoa. Everything was super good!

11016719_537732203035706_2154498091261452314_o_.jpg
So, I'm currently in Tallinn for a conference (Game Dev Days, if anyone else is here, say hey!) and I remembered this post and went there today. Food was excellent, and the atmosphere was super cozy and the staff were amazingly nice. So I 100% second this recommendation. If any of you guys happen to be in Tallinn, make sure to check it out :)

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
There is a newish German Cuisine Restaurant in Los Angeles, Hinterhof. We went for the first time yesterday.
It was amazing. The Seitan Schnitzel was fantastic.
There is also an all vegan donut shop just down the road at which we overindulged on a variety of donuts...

qiFF23Z.jpg

3GE4IqH.jpg

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there an alternative to condensed milk? I was thinking of making thai iced tea, but the milk part needs to be replace with something else.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Tofu has become a part of my regular diet, so I am wondering about making my own instead of buying. Anybody have experience with making their own tofu?

slutbomb

Oct 29, 2017
detroit
Tofu has become a part of my regular diet, so I am wondering about making my own instead of buying. Anybody have experience with making their own tofu?

I have made tofu starting from fancy organic dried soybeans in a SoyaJoy machine. It honestly seemed like a lot of expense and effort for an end result that wasn't as good as factory-made tofu. Mostly it seemed hard to get the texture right...a little grainy. Maybe I just have poor technique, though. Better filtering might have helped.

Hot fresh soymilk is great for making this Chinese breakfast dish, though. And my dogs love the leftover okara.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Aw man... had one of those fantastic conversation today at work where I am facing several defensive omni-people regarding my vegan diet. I am a low-key person and hate confrontation but that a bit too much for me. I could not even finish a sentence nor would they listen to anything. I just got laughed at and waved away.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Aw man... had one of those fantastic conversation today at work where I am facing several defensive omni-people regarding my vegan diet. I am a low-key person and hate confrontation but that a bit too much for me. I could not even finish a sentence nor would they listen to anything. I just got laughed at and waved away.
Fuck em.
People that are more concerned about my diet than myself can just go away...
Sorry you will have to see them again at work tomorrow...

In other news, German Era. Beyond will be available at Lidl at the end of the month.
https://vegconomist.com/trade/beyond-burger-exclusively-in-german-retail-at-lidl/

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
The wife and I are currently planning a holiday and Croatia is strong contender - just wondering if anyone has any experience of eating vegan in Croatia? Happy Cow doesn't have much even in the bigger cities so seems like it's not really a common thing over there?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The wife and I are currently planning a holiday and Croatia is strong contender - just wondering if anyone has any experience of eating vegan in Croatia? Happy Cow doesn't have much even in the bigger cities so seems like it's not really a common thing over there?
Would be interested in this as well.

But regarding Happy Cow I can only tell you that it has some bad data and it's not getting maintained as well as it should. I sent like 5 corrections for my city when I started to use the app because some restaurants and shops did not exist anymore and newer ones were not in there yet.

I guess Facebook groups would be a better starting point to look out for, if you use that.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I feel like vegan threads have become far less hostile over the last year. Still plenty of ignorance to go around but much less hostile... progress?
And lol at people celebrating having tried veganism for two(!) whole days. And then having to go back...

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Honestly feel like it got even more hostile. Maybe not on Era but on social media for sure.
Plus with this "Vegan/vegetarian Burgers should not be called burgers" and the rise of meat/bbq culture... rough times.

Funny sidenote - I needed to explain the difference between a raw and a vegan diet to one of my acquaintances for the 4th time now.

"We could go to a vegan restaurant?"
"No, I need cooked food!"

"I am vegan, you forgot?"
"But you need cooked water?" (this one was especially dumb, haha)

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Would be interested in this as well.

But regarding Happy Cow I can only tell you that it has some bad data and it's not getting maintained as well as it should. I sent like 5 corrections for my city when I started to use the app because some restaurants and shops did not exist anymore and newer ones were not in there yet.

I guess Facebook groups would be a better starting point to look out for, if you use that.
Yeah I've been having a look for fb groups, and also searching within the few groups I'm already a member of. I did find that the vegan society do a "vegan passport" book (or app, which I just bought) that basically has a little statement in umpteen languages saying you are vegan, and what that entails. It's not quite what I'd envisaged it would be, but could still prove pretty useful. The idea is you just show the page to your waiter/chef/hotel etc.

The statement is along the lines of:
"I/we am/are vegan, we don't eat anything of animal origin. We do not eat <list of animal products>, but we do eat <list of "safe" products>. To make a vegan meal replace animal fat with vegetable oil, veg stock instead of meat stock, etc. Please can you provide a meal which meets those requirements"

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Honestly feel like it got even more hostile. Maybe not on Era but on social media for sure.
Plus with this "Vegan/vegetarian Burgers should not be called burgers" and the rise of meat/bbq culture... rough times.

Funny sidenote - I needed to explain the difference between a raw and a vegan diet to one of my acquaintances for the 4th time now.

"We could go to a vegan restaurant?"
"No, I need cooked food!"

"I am vegan, you forgot?"
"But you need cooked water?" (this one was especially dumb, haha)

I can only speak for Era, I've started avoiding all other social media like the plague.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Big company grilling event and of course no vegan option. Even vegetarian is hard since you have three manly mans showing their grilling skills with huge chunks of meat. :-(
Especially during such events I am getting sad how much meat is getting consumed. Everyone thinks "aww he does not have anything to eat" but no, I am sad because of the animals and no one sees it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I think it also depends on the people working there. If I would be a different person (appearance, more extroverted) or in a different position I would totally try to talk to the responsible persons. But afaik I am the only vegan out of 200+ people. We have some vegetarians but for those the canteen we have is sufficient (plus they eat fish....)

I know at least one big company in the vicinity which has a a pure vegan canteen in addition to the omni one.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'm still at university so lucky it's pretty good for those sorts of things, whether you're talking about student or staff events. My head of department is vegan for religious reasons (he's Indian but I'm not sure which religion), which helps.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
We had a nice local vegan festival at the weekend. Lot's of good food and good people.
It's also nice to see people just come by, be curious and try out stuff. Tho sadly most just try out the "indian food". While it's good it's also pretty boring imo - or at least nothing special to me anymore.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Someone proxy me that JUST egg stuff

We had a nice local vegan festival at the weekend. Lot's of good food and good people.
It's also nice to see people just come by, be curious and try out stuff. Tho sadly most just try out the "indian food". While it's good it's also pretty boring imo - or at least nothing special to me anymore.
Going to one this weekend!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
God damn I'm so happy about this new "oat block" product that was recently introduced to Finnish markets. It's kind of tofu-like but a bit different and it's finally something I can make the perfect vegan palak paneer with. I like tofu but it has never quite felt right as a substitute for the kind of homemade Indian cheese. This oat block isn't 1:1 either but it's closer and fits much better. I've already done palak paneer, like, 5 times after I tested it out the first time and I'm gonna be doing it a lot more.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
God damn I'm so happy about this new "oat block" product that was recently introduced to Finnish markets. It's kind of tofu-like but a bit different and it's finally something I can make the perfect vegan palak paneer with. I like tofu but it has never quite felt right as a substitute for the kind of homemade Indian cheese. This oat block isn't 1:1 either but it's closer and fits much better. I've already done palak paneer, like, 5 times after I tested it out the first time and I'm gonna be doing it a lot more.
Mmmm, I do like palak paneer. 😋

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've been reading a lot about homemade tofu and cultured vegan cheeses and stuff lately. I've never heard about culturing oat milk before, but it's a pretty big boon if it makes a good paneer substitute.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Mmmm, I do like palak paneer. 😋
Yes, one of my favorites. A Nepalese restauran used to make a tasty vegan alternative (w/tofu) but they recently moved to a different city so this new product was released just in time for me to not lose my more or less frequent dosage of palak paneer. :D
I've been reading a lot about homemade tofu and cultured vegan cheeses and stuff lately. I've never heard about culturing oat milk before, but it's a pretty big boon if it makes a good paneer substitute.
Oat is a very traditional crop in Finland (& surrounding countries) so it's no wonder it's somewhat in the forefront of plant-based alternatives. We've already had oat based milks/creams, yoghurt, ice cream, cheeses, "pulled oat" meat substitute & such, many of which originated here (or Sweden). Us making our tofu alternative from oat is just a continuation of that line of vegan food innovation.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me, fuck bureaucrats, fuck everything. I'm trying to set up a vegan food tent for the summer and these motherfuckers aren't budging even an inch. The marketplace is "full" (even though it's fucking empty space for over half of it) and the city isn't giving permits to set up anything anywhere else. Well fuck you all then, I'm just gonna live as society's parasite. Fuck fuck fuck fuck

fuck

fuck

FUCK.

I'm so frustrated. I think I'm gonna go buy some booze and drink myself silly. I can't deal with this shit right now.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Welcoming myself to the party, I guess. I've felt for a long time that eating meat and animal products was basically indefensible on an ethical level, I just haven't changed out of pure momentum. But my partner finally hit a breaking point and decided to go full vegan after seeing the Fairlife animal abuse video that's been going around. So I said "sure, why not?" and decided to go along for the ride.

So far it's been a lot easier than I expected. Ice cream is my weakness and I've never really found a non-dairy replacement that I liked... until I tried the Haagen Dazs Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge Non-Dairy. Hoooooo boy, that hits the spot.