• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I also saw Gamechangers in cinema. There was a huge crowd of members of a Fitness Studio which sponsored this event. A local football player now trainer spoke a bit why hee went vegan etc. Movie was great and funny too, love Patrick B - I actually have a photo with him :D
But of course there were some angry people after the screening since they did not know it was so vegan heavy.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I also saw Gamechangers in cinema. There was a huge crowd of members of a Fitness Studio which sponsored this event. A local football player now trainer spoke a bit why hee went vegan etc. Movie was great and funny too, love Patrick B - I actually have a photo with him :D
But of course there were some angry people after the screening since they did not know it was so vegan heavy.
🤦‍♂️ to those that didn't know what they were about to view

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
www.resetera.com

Why do people hate vegans?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/oct/25/why-do-people-hate-vegans Please read at least one paragraph before an attempted humorous reply ✊ 🌏

Goodness gracious. Seems like 75% of Era users think all (or most) vegans are preachy. I hate that stereotype so much and cannot actually remember coming across preachy vegans...

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
www.resetera.com

Why do people hate vegans?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/oct/25/why-do-people-hate-vegans Please read at least one paragraph before an attempted humorous reply ✊ 🌏

Goodness gracious. Seems like 75% of Era users think all (or most) vegans are preachy. I hate that stereotype so much and cannot actually remember coming across preachy vegans...
I was literally about to come here and commend you on even trying. I can't bring myself to even try anymore other than piggy backing off of other good comments. To tired of being dog piled or if you say anything counter you are preachy. Also I wouldn't even @ nicktals I can confirm from other threads he argues in bad faith. He will keep going till you give up.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I was literally about to come here and commend you on even trying. I can't bring myself to even try anymore other than piggy backing off of other good comments. To tired of being dog piled or if you say anything counter you are preachy. Also I wouldn't even @ nicktals I can confirm from other threads he argues in bad faith. He will keep going till you give up.
I started reading that thread earlier but could see where it was going and stopped lol. You can't win, even if you're asked a direct question, if you answer you're preaching apparently 😖

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I started reading that thread earlier but could see where it was going and stopped lol. You can't win, even if you're asked a direct question, if you answer you're preaching apparently 😖
Resetera has a pretty high number of anti vegan users, I just stopped even trying to debate. You just get dog piled

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
To be fair preachy vegans exist and can be very annoying, even in my own vegan eyes. People that post vegan stuff constantly on facebook, or those vegans that are "happy" when a famous omni cook dies... those are the types of vegans that make it worse for the friendly and nice 90% rest of us.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That thread has devolved into people stating animals have no thoughts, feelings, or emotions, and pretty inflammatory comparisons to anti-abortionists. I think I'm done reading replies to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver
Pretty funny that everyone has had these repeated, in-person experiences with "militant," "preachy" vegans.
I've been vegan for over a decade and I've never met anyone like that.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Resetera is always trash when it comes to discussing veganism. Half of the people in the thread are making massive generalisations, some people are straight up insulting vegans...

It's a shitshow. I just opened the last page and the last message says 'Most of them are preachy, holier than thou assholes about it'...

Idk, I'd also use the word asshole to describe people that make uninformed, sweeping generalisations about a group of people.

Pretty funny that everyone has had these repeated, in-person experiences with "militant," "preachy" vegans.
I've been vegan for over a decade and I've never met anyone like that.

Pretty much.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I am thinking of going vegan for November as a trial run. I have been very unhealthy as of late with my diet.

Really nervous as I am an exceptionally picky eater. Not sure if I should try going vegetarian first or what.

Fruits are pretty much all good for me, and I love me some tubers, but veggie selection is where I feel like I will fail due to lack of variety. I am on the autism spectrum and am incredibly texture focused.... and I just can't deal with the texture of a lot of veggies.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
I am thinking of going vegan for November as a trial run. I have been very unhealthy as of late with my diet.

Really nervous as I am an exceptionally picky eater. Not sure if I should try going vegetarian first or what.

Fruits are pretty much all good for me, and I love me some tubers, but veggie selection is where I feel like I will fail due to lack of variety. I am on the autism spectrum and am incredibly texture focused.... and I just can't deal with the texture of a lot of veggies.

Don't put pressure on yourself, and don't worry if you slip up, mate. A lot of us struggled when we first started and the transition might take a while as you get used to your new diet, it's a big change. You can find some incredible, varied recipes these days to suit your own needs, and there are some pretty good faux meat and cheese products available but it might takea bit of trial and error at first.

Good luck :)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Would you folks call yourself a "vegan" if you eat meat like once a month or so?
I know (not personally, but from like local facebook groups) some people who do that and are one of those "preachy" vegans too, which is totally weird.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you folks call yourself a "vegan" if you eat meat like once a month or so?
I know (not personally, but from like local facebook groups) some people who do that and are one of those "preachy" vegans too, which is totally weird.
Unless they have some super rare, weird condition that actually requires them to occasionally eat meat to survive, absolutely not. That definitely doesn't fall into the "as far as possible and practicable" clause.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently living as a vegetarian since I'm relying on the food my family makes at the moment and getting them to cook without meat was tough enough.
I'm moving out in a few month, however, I'm still going to be short on money and somewhat reliant on Cafeteria food.
When I finally move it with my partner (which is going to take a few years), it should be smooth sailing, but I got to figure out how to handle things until then.
Probably not, no. I get that vegan be really tough, but 100% vegetarian should be resonably possible for most people.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Unless they have some super rare, weird condition that actually requires them to occasionally eat meat to survive, absolutely not. That definitely doesn't fall into the "as far as possible and practicable" clause.
Yeah. Like, I would be actually fine if someone does that because such a person would probably look very close where this meat comes from and if it's organic etc.
But then please don't call yourself a vegan and lie to yourself about it, not to mention push your veganism onto others.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
To troll the vegan hate thread or not to troll? That is the question.

Obviously people are just wilfully ignorant about veganism and/or deep down know vegans are right and then lash out at them when they "push" the science/ideology behind it because they feel that sting of guilt due to being too lazy and weak-willed to do anything about it. It's deflection. " It's not _I_ that is the problem, it's those pesky vegans. They are so annoying that I won't eat less meat out of spite! That'll show them!"

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
No, if someone is purposely consuming animal products on a regular basis I would not consider them vegan. They sound more like a flexitarian who has not discovered the word yet.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Happy World Vegan Day everyone!

C02-D5-D1-C-E14-A-4504-8-E2-D-8-B19137-F8-F0-F.jpg

Hope you guys get to celebrate with some awesome food!

Im currently in Hue, Vietnam so will be eating our way through some Chay buddhist restaurants of which there are many!

Been travelling a lot this last year and so great to see even tiny out of the way countries starting to know about veganism.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Happy World Vegan Day everyone!

C02-D5-D1-C-E14-A-4504-8-E2-D-8-B19137-F8-F0-F.jpg

Hope you guys get to celebrate with some awesome food!

Im currently in Hue, Vietnam so will be eating our way through some Chay buddhist restaurants of which there are many!

Been travelling a lot this last year and so great to see even tiny out of the way countries starting to know about veganism.
Love a bit of Vegan Sidekick :D

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
cant believe i havent been following the vegan thread... full disclosure, i'm not practicing a vegan diet, but i'm like 90% there, and i want to be 100%. my biggest obstacle is money (in college full time, and practicing several hours a day on two different instruments, plus working 40+ hours a week)

any tips on vegan diet while on an extremely low budget? i typically spend between $15-$25 a week on food, and i don't go out to eat

currently i eat lots of cabbage, carrots, tomato, cucumber, peanuts, avacado, (thank fuck for ALDI always having decent priced avacados), bananas, apples, grapes, peanut butter, bread and veggie burgers/hotdogs

i also have a couple cans of bushs vegetarian beans and top ramen soy sauce flavor (the vegetarian one) but i want to get rid of these two in favor of black beans and regular spaghetti and tomato sauce

i shop on mondays and usually make it to saturday midday before i'm so low on food i break down and go buy a frozen pizza or whatever. i really want to get away from it but it's hard to beat satisfying that cheese craving and filling my belly for $2.50 at the same time. the vegan pizzas are like $7 and up, and it's a bit too much for me. i'm not hooked on the idea of pizza or anything, i just get freakin hungry by the end of a saturday and knowing i have to make it all through sunday with what little bit of food i have left just makes me break down. sometimes i go for a 6 pack of apple fritters, but i think they use eggs to make those so :/

maybe i need to just suck it up? or maybe theres a nifty vegan life food hack (lol sorry) for getting through those cravings? big ass bowl of noodles? eat 10 bananas in a row? sorry ill stop now

thanks for any suggestions

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
A vegan diet can be dirt cheap so long as you don't buy some of the still (often) relatively expensive replacements like vegan cheeses, yoghurt or such, know where to get some stuff a bit cheaper (Asian stores can often have tofu and such for far cheaper prices than your average supermarkets), and take advantage of seasonal prices of fruits & veggies. Porridge for breakfast, potatoes with some beans/soy granule/other legumes + simple sauce is, like, <1€/$ per serving + some salad for dinner, (seasonal) fruits & nuts for snacks.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
anyone experience headaches in the morning?

i'm a recovering alcoholic so head aches in the morning have been a regular thing in my life. However, I quit drinking July of 2018, started working out, got super healthy and the headaches went away. i cut out all meat january of 2019 and cut waaaaaay back on dairy and eggs too, and since then i've experienced minor headaches in the morning.

maybe i'm dehydrated, or possibly there's something i'm not including in my diet that i should be? just wondering if anyone had the experience switching to a vegan diet. thanks!

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

i'm a recovering alcoholic so head aches in the morning have been a regular thing in my life. However, I quit drinking July of 2018, started working out, got super healthy and the headaches went away. i cut out all meat january of 2019 and cut waaaaaay back on dairy and eggs too, and since then i've experienced minor headaches in the morning.

maybe i'm dehydrated, or possibly there's something i'm not including in my diet that i should be? just wondering if anyone had the experience switching to a vegan diet. thanks!
Nope not come across that complaint.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Only downside is the time it takes, but if you make a bunch it freezes super well
It doesn't really even take all that long, depending on what you're doing. You just measure gluten & other flours, throw a hefty amount of seasonins & mix that, then measure the liquids and mix that to the flour-spices mix. Beat the resulting dough for a couple of minutes and do appropriate preparations to it depending on what you want to make. This takes 5-10 minutes. For the quickest way, just cut it in steak-like pieces and then boil the seitan steaks for 20-30 minutes in well seasoned/stock-veggie-cubed water.

Lack of iron and B12 can be a cause of headaches.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
It doesn't really even take all that long, depending on what you're doing. You just measure gluten & other flours, throw a hefty amount of seasonins & mix that, then measure the liquids and mix that to the flour-spices mix. Beat the resulting dough for a couple of minutes and do appropriate preparations to it depending on what you want to make. This takes 5-10 minutes. For the quickest way, just cut it in steak-like pieces and then boil the seitan steaks for 20-30 minutes in well seasoned/stock-veggie-cubed water.

Lack of iron and B12 can be a cause of headaches.
lol I don't have a problem with taking my time in the kitchen, but not every family is going to have approx 1 hour to make seitan and additional items to go with a meal.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
lol I don't have a problem with taking my time in the kitchen, but not every family is going to have approx 1 hour to make seitan and additional items to go with a meal.
I mean, you can start with the seitan that takes ~30 minutes (waiting included) and during that time do a simple salad and cook some potatoes/rice/couscous/whatever, and you'll have most done by the time the seitan is ready. And as you said, it's easy to make big batches with very little extra effort, so just double or triple the recipe and you've got 2-3 extra days' seitan to be used at any given time.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, you can start with the seitan that takes ~30 minutes (waiting included) and during that time do a simple salad and cook some potatoes/rice/couscous/whatever, and you'll have most done by the time the seitan is ready. And as you said, it's easy to make big batches with very little extra effort, so just double or triple the recipe and you've got 2-3 extra days' seitan to be used at any given time.
you're talking to someone who also loves to cook. I understand multitasking, but not everyone can cook or cook well. 30 minutes for you is likely an hour for most people, especially just checking any of the recipes i've used before tell you to boil for 30-45 min and then like you said the 10-15 to prep it first. Then trying to multitask other items. That would be overwhelming for a lot of home cooks.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
you're talking to someone who also loves to cook. I understand multitasking, but not everyone can cook or cook well. 30 minutes for you is likely an hour for most people, especially just checking any of the recipes i've used before tell you to boil for 30-45 min and then like you said the 10-15 to prep it first. Then trying to multitask other items. That would be overwhelming for a lot of home cooks.
That was my point. You don't have to do anything outside of mixing a bit of flours, spices & liquids and slicing the dough, and the rest is just waiting for the stuff to cook, during which you can either fiddle your thumbs or prepare the rest of what you're eating. You don't have to keep an eye on the seitan pieces until most of that 20-30 minutes is done.
While I have the experts here. I baked my seitan, why did I have to wrap it in tin foil?
It'll dry up real quick if you don't do something to keep the moisture in. I imagine that much like keeping a lid on a pot, it helps with stuff heating a bit more quickly when it can't escape. Though nowadays I wrap seitan in greaseproof paper and put the whole thing in a pot with a lid on since using aluminium foil feels a bit wasteful.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
That was my point. You don't have to do anything outside of mixing a bit of flours, spices & liquids and slicing the dough, and the rest is just waiting for the stuff to cook, during which you can either fiddle your thumbs or prepare the rest of what you're eating. You don't have to keep an eye on the seitan pieces until most of that 20-30 minutes is done.

It'll dry up real quick if you don't do something to keep the moisture in. I imagine that much like keeping a lid on a pot, it helps with stuff heating a bit more quickly when it can't escape. Though nowadays I wrap seitan in greaseproof paper and put the whole thing in a pot with a lid on since using aluminium foil feels a bit wasteful.
Sounds good. I'll try a pot next time.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
What Vwg u guys using? Because every time we tried to make it it turned into almost bread lol...
In Australia though but we did order Bobs Red Mill stuff online a few times and had the same problem..
Quite frustrating as we have had some incredible seitan at restaurants around the world but godddamnnnnnn is it hard to make!

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
What Vwg u guys using? Because every time we tried to make it it turned into almost bread lol...
In Australia though but we did order Bobs Red Mill stuff online a few times and had the same problem..
Quite frustrating as we have had some incredible seitan at restaurants around the world but godddamnnnnnn is it hard to make!
I used bobs too, but I think they make different protein percentages? Famassu can keep my honest

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
the higher the protein level the more dense I have noticed it turns out. Also depends how you cook it

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot depends on how you cook it yeah, I find if I bake it it turns out "bready" so I usually tightly wrap in foil and steam it to keep it denser.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Just don't make the dough too dry, leave it a little sticky & moist. My first seitan chorizo sausage testing was exactly like that. I had never done any kind of seitan before. I had to translate your silly cups to desiliters and I was kinda worried I had made some mistake because the dough still felt so moist, so I threw a little more flours. They turned into bread and it took me, like, 9 months to try seitan again. :D

I've never really looked into what kind of gluten flour I buy. There really aren't more than a couple of brands available here and I haven't really noticed much of a difference between them.

Also, don't use only gluten flour. Throw in some chickpea (aka gram) flour and/or soy flour (so that chickpea + soy combined : gluten is about 1:2) and you'll get a much better texture. So 1,25dl of gram & soy flour altogether (or you can do just 1,25dl of gram flour and leave the soy out), 2,5dl gluten flour and 1,5dl water (+ tons of seasonings and a little soy sauce)

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here dealth with acid reflux? Just wondering what kind of stuff you usually eat that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable. I know it can vary from person to person, but I'm just trying to figure out what to eat. I've left out stuff like chili and tomatoes but with how easily I start to feel bloated and even some pain, I'm kind of afraid to try out different stuff.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Has anyone here dealth with acid reflux? Just wondering what kind of stuff you usually eat that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable. I know it can vary from person to person, but I'm just trying to figure out what to eat. I've left out stuff like chili and tomatoes but with how easily I start to feel bloated and even some pain, I'm kind of afraid to try out different stuff.
I have IC so yes, anything can mess with that for me, which typically in turn also messes me up acid wise. I eat anything that avoids acid except many times I am willing to eat that stuff because it good and just take a famotidine. Raw veg can trigger it, acidic things like tomatoes and fruit. Chili hasn't ever really triggered it for me. Mostly for me its just making sure I cook my veg and I eat a lot of noodles and rice of course.

edit: think blander the better, that doesn't really mean excluding spices, just the natural state of whatever you are starting with. additionally alcohol/ cigs can trigger it too or make it worse.Even just cutting alcohol back a ton significantly reduced my problems.

Last edited: