• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone watch the joe rogan podcast yesterday with the Game Changers creator utterly destroying the guy who "debunked" it on there last week face to face!??

Just epic. Pretty long and arduos watch though.

Glad Joe got him on there to talk to that guy in person.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anyone watch the joe rogan podcast yesterday with the Game Changers creator utterly destroying the guy who "debunked" it on there last week face to face!??

Just epic. Pretty long and arduos watch though.

Glad Joe got him on there to talk to that guy in person.
I'd rather not watch Joe, but props to him for having the creator on to rebuke the previous guest.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I hate joe but I hate how he has so many people I wanna listen to on... It's a conundrum.

I might watch but we shall see

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Good! The only thing those labeling laws does is make it more confusing for those who actually want alternatives

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
So I don't know if any of you have tried Just Egg yet, but here is my review.

Pro -
It REALLY REALLY tastes like eggs, consistency to taste, its great.

Cons-
Its 7.99 for a bottle that is barely bigger than their chipotle mayo bottle.
It cooks terribly, stuck a whole layer to my pan.
Once opened it last 7 days only.
A lot of liquid turns into a tiny amount of eggs. I used almost half the bottle and basically gave me and my wife 2 tablespoons worth of egg.

So overall, it tastes amazing but I doubt I would ever buy it again for all the cons.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I don't know if any of you have tried Just Egg yet, but here is my review.

Pro -
It REALLY REALLY tastes like eggs, consistency to taste, its great.

Cons-
Its 7.99 for a bottle that is barely bigger than their chipotle mayo bottle.
It cooks terribly, stuck a whole layer to my pan.
Once opened it last 7 days only.
A lot of liquid turns into a tiny amount of eggs. I used almost half the bottle and basically gave me and my wife 2 tablespoons worth of egg.

So overall, it tastes amazing but I doubt I would ever buy it again for all the cons.
Have you had the Follow Your Heart VeganEgg? Wondering how it compares to that. It's a lot cheaper, pretty easy to cook after mixing it (which is definitely more work than what it seems the Just Egg requires), the texture seemed good, but found it a bit bland without adding a lot of spices, especially black salt.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Have you had the Follow Your Heart VeganEgg? Wondering how it compares to that. It's a lot cheaper, pretty easy to cook after mixing it (which is definitely more work than what it seems the Just Egg requires), the texture seemed good, but found it a bit bland without adding a lot of spices, especially black salt.
I only added salt and pepper to the Just egg, but yeah I have tried both and Just eggs texture is a heck of a lot better. Especially after Follow Your Heart changed the formula.

Edit: both my wife and I were bitching about all the cons and then we took our first bite and just both said " mother fucker... It actually tastes perfect." Which I don't know if that made it better or worse of a situation lol

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017

Update this is 3/4s the bottle. We finished off the bottle to have a proper breakfast. Oil helped with the sticking but still stuck some.

Edit: sorry my phone takes potato pictures the lense is cracked

Last edited:

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't know this community existed! Howdy! Almost hitting the 4 year vegan mark (next May). Lucky enough to live in Los Angeles so theres a ton of great vegan food around me.

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit 3 months fully plant based, had a month there where my gut bacteria were clearly going through changes (Holy fuck it was horrible).

That's settled down so I feel like I'm ready to go full boar with this diet.

Picked up a few cookbooks and going to start attacking some basics.

Been eating too much beans and toast from just being slammed with my business, as well as more processed food than I'd like to ever admit to eating...

Going to try making Seitan this week, pretty excited.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi there. o/

Just subscribed to this thread. I'm a very new vegan (about 2 or 3 weeks in now). It's been surprisingly painless. There's so much delicious vegan alternatives. And there's still so much more for me to try. I'll pop in here if I ever have any questions.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Hi there. o/

Just subscribed to this thread. I'm a very new vegan (about 2 or 3 weeks in now). It's been surprisingly painless. There's so much delicious vegan alternatives. And there's still so much more for me to try. I'll pop in here if I ever have any questions.
Welcome!
Don't stress it, ignore the haters. We are a mellow bunch in here. 😎

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi there. o/

Welcome! I was surprised at how easy it was to go vegan as well. I started by taking a 30 day challenge, and decided not to stop at the end of it. And over time, everything just seems to get easier, with more options available and more vegans out there to offer support and help.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Hi there. o/

Welcome! As you can see we are here to help. I often come here to vent and seek for advice on a humane level, as I find food is not the problem, but humans can be.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It sucks when being vegan actually gets in the way of a relationship. My girlfriend and I are pretty much on the tail end of our relationship, and recently she's started telling me how much it annoys her that I'm vegan. Like, I was worried it'd be an issue right at the start, but before our very first date she told me she was vegetarian so I thought it wouldn't be an issue (she started eating meat again shortly after though). I also never pressured her or anyone else into eating vegan (I literally don't care) or told her my way was better. But simply the fact she has to consider the fact I'm vegan when eating together is an issue for her at this point.

I'm even prepared to make concessions for the sake of the relationship but she tells me it'd make her feel terrible if I were to break my 'streak' just for her... But at the same time she tried to go vegan as her NY resolution for the same reason but lasted less than 10 days. She thought it was stupid before even starting so it's not surprising, and again I don't mind what she eats, but now she's much more vocal about her dislike of the idea to the point I'm starting to get annoyed with her (e.g. yesterday she was arguing being vegan is a fad and bad for you based on nothing else than the fact she knows a couple of people that are vegan and have mental health issues - disregarding the fact she also knows people that eat meat and have even worse mental health issues - it's almost like you can't make generalisations based on anecdotes).

I guess it just feels bad to know you've been with someone for 7 months who just pretended to not mind something about you.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It sucks when being vegan actually gets in the way of a relationship. My girlfriend and I are pretty much on the tail end of our relationship, and recently she's started telling me how much it annoys her that I'm vegan. Like, I was worried it'd be an issue right at the start, but before our very first date she told me she was vegetarian so I thought it wouldn't be an issue (she started eating meat again shortly after though). I also never pressured her or anyone else into eating vegan (I literally don't care) or told her my way was better. But simply the fact she has to consider the fact I'm vegan when eating together is an issue for her at this point.

I'm even prepared to make concessions for the sake of the relationship but she tells me it'd make her feel terrible if I were to break my 'streak' just for her... But at the same time she tried to go vegan as her NY resolution for the same reason but lasted less than 10 days. She thought it was stupid before even starting so it's not surprising, and again I don't mind what she eats, but now she's much more vocal about her dislike of the idea to the point I'm starting to get annoyed with her (e.g. yesterday she was arguing being vegan is a fad and bad for you based on nothing else than the fact she knows a couple of people that are vegan and have mental health issues - disregarding the fact she also knows people that eat meat and have even worse mental health issues - it's almost like you can't make generalisations based on anecdotes).

I guess it just feels bad to know you've been with someone for 7 months who just pretended to not mind something about you.
Sucks. But better to happen after seven months than seven years I guess.
difficult to separate such a potentially integral part of ones identity.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

She feels bad that she is no longer vegetarian and is taking her frustration out on you, in my opinion.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
That sucks Hypron
I guess she might be frustrated and maybe even feel bad, but instead of doing better she makes you responsible for it. It's the typical syndrome of "there is a vegan in the room so I need to feel guilty" but translated to your whole relationship.

Oct 28, 2017
I've met vegetarians who get defensive when it is pointed out to them that dairy, eggs etc cause the same suffering and death which meat does, but I don't think I have ever met one who thinks being vegan is silly or unhealthy. At least not recently. I would try and calmly make them aware of the facts, recommend reliable sources of information etc and see if that makes a difference. If not, I would reluctantly end the relationship. Its not so much I couldn't date a non-vegan, its that I couldn't spend my life with someone who either refuses to listen to information/ consider the consequences of their actions or who fully understands but feels no impetus to change their behavior.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Thanks for the replies. I don't feel like she feels bad about not being vegetarian anymore though. I literally get the feeling she thinks it's stupid, but without having put much thought into it which frustrates me. Sometimes I also get the feeling she just wants to take out her anger on me. We've been having issues for a while though, and lately she has been getting more and more vocal and frankly pretty mean-spirited about everything she doesn't like about me - including being vegan. We still get along well otherwise, but I guess we need to break up before things get too sour between us. We're going on a trip this weekend and will probably go back to just being friends after.

Sucks. But better to happen after seven months than seven years I guess.
difficult to separate such a potentially integral part of ones identity.

Yeah that's true. It's my first relationship and she constantly flip-flops between criticising me for being vegan/etc. and being affectionate/telling me she loves me so it's been kinda hard to navigate though. My mental and physical health have also been in the shitter for the past few months for a variety of reasons (relationship problems, back injury, stress, lack of support, etc.) which have clouded my judgement quite a bit. I'm much better now, working out more, eating more, seeing a therapist, and I'm not feeling as love-struck as I was, so I can see things more clearly.

Sorry if this sounds more like something that should go in the dating thread haha.

This experience has made me seriously think about whether I should reconsider my veganism going forward after this relationship though. Tbh I was not really interested in dating before (and I probably won't be for a while after this relationship to get over it), but I'm just worried I could miss out on a potentially great person because of my diet/lifestyle. Like, I feel like going forward, if I stay 100% vegan I will be anxious dating anyone that is not vegan just because I'll always have on the back of my mind the question 'what if they are increasingly resenting me because of it but not telling me?'. At the same time, only dating vegan people does reduce the dating pool massively. I don't know what the solution would be, but I guess I have some time to think about it so no need to rush.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I don't feel like she feels bad about not being vegetarian anymore though. I literally get the feeling she thinks it's stupid, but without having put much thought into it which frustrates me. Sometimes I also get the feeling she just wants to take out her anger on me. We've been having issues for a while though, and lately she has been getting more and more vocal and frankly pretty mean-spirited about everything she doesn't like about me - including being vegan. We still get along well otherwise, but I guess we need to break up before things get too sour between us. We're going on a trip this weekend and will probably go back to just being friends after.

Yeah that's true. It's my first relationship and she constantly flip-flops between criticising me for being vegan/etc. and being affectionate/telling me she loves me so it's been kinda hard to navigate though. My mental and physical health have also been in the shitter for the past few months for a variety of reasons (relationship problems, back injury, stress, lack of support, etc.) which have clouded my judgement quite a bit. I'm much better now, working out more, eating more, seeing a therapist, and I'm not feeling as love-struck as I was, so I can see things more clearly.

Sorry if this sounds more like something that should go in the dating thread haha.

This experience has made me seriously think about whether I should reconsider my veganism going forward after this relationship though. Tbh I was not really interested in dating before (and I probably won't be for a while after this relationship to get over it), but I'm just worried I could miss out on a potentially great person because of my diet/lifestyle. Like, I feel like going forward, if I stay 100% vegan I will be anxious dating anyone that is not vegan just because I'll always have on the back of my mind the question 'what if they are increasingly resenting me because of it but not telling me?'. At the same time, only dating vegan people does reduce the dating pool massively. I don't know what the solution would be, but I guess I have some time to think about it so no need to rush.
I also felt the same way about limiting my dating pool, even though I often attend meetups etc with lots of nice people. I've only once dated a vegan though. My last gf was a big meat eater but after almost 4 years together she went vegan. My current gf I've only been with about the same length of time as you and yours, but she only buys vegan things when she is with me and she's down to basically just dairy now and joined an animal rights march this weekend. There are plenty of reasonable people out there who just don't have the information or have never thought about the issues, and will naturally start to move in a vegan direction at their own pace when their loved ones set an example. I definitely wouldn't take your first experience as the norm, it doesn't have to be that way.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA

Go to vegan events/restaurants and you'll meet someone who sees more eye to eye with you. It might take some time but don't feel like you need to go back to eating meat just to have a partner. Good luck!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Limiting your dating pool in this is totally fine imo. Being vegan is not just a hobby, it takes over your whole life (in a good way of course) situations. So having/finding someone who is on your level regarding one life centric thing is not bad at all.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017

I am sorry to hear that. I am not sure its healthy for you to be with someone that is constantly like that. She knew going in what you are and relationships as a whole are constant compromise and talking things out together. It doesn't sound like she is will to compromise though. Whether that means the end for you is up to you. Either she will have to better adjust or you will have to learn ways to meet her halfway? Only thing I can think is eating before or after events she plans for both of you to attend where food is involved. Otherwise I would think it will be difficult. I know it can be done though! I have a friend where his wife is not and he is, but they just buy their own food and cook for themselves and that was their compromise.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
It doesn't have to be this way though. just be open from the beginning that its not something you will change or negotiate on. You are fine with them eating however they like and they should feel the same. Like I said in my last comment I know vegans that date non vegans and it works perfectly fine by talking and having a healthy communication in the relationship. Don't let this one sour you from future relationships. I promise it doesn't have to be this way.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For straight men in cities with a decent vegan population, finding a vegan partner can actually be easier, since there are a higher percentage of women that are vegan, and at least among my friends, they all were looking for partners that are at least vegetarian, if not vegan. After finding a vegan partner, I doubt I could ever go back to dating non-vegans.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Just to share a little. I tried dating someone that was omni for a bit and it caused way more issues than I had anticipated. We had to cook separate dinners (she would pull the 'if I don't have meat I won't be full"). I've also gone out with other women who aren't vegan and the food always becomes an issue. It doesn't help that I live in LA and dinning culture is huge here so people are always looking for the next best thing. I've stuck with vegan/vegetarian women for the last year or so and it's been way way way easier when it comes to meals.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Feb 10, 2018
OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
What do you folks have for a sweet or dessert?

I'm looking for a dessert with healthy fats or no fats and no sugar.
Usually when I eat desserts I don't care much about fat, I already know I'm indulging :P So I don't know how to help you with the no fats things - But one super easy dessert I like to make is Malabi. It's fresh, not super sweet, and I don't believe it has a lot of sugar or fat (or at the very least, you can easily control how much sugar, since most of it is in the syrup you pour on top.)
Here's a nice recepie in English I found (you can switch the milk to any plant-based milk, I recommend coconut!) https://www.thespruceeats.com/malabi-rosewater-milk-pudding-4163433
A few notes: The syrup is not optional, the pudding itself doesn't have much taste - At least a little bit should probably be poured on top. Then, spread some crushed peanuts and shredded coconut on top.
(Also, it's not actually an Israeli dessert, it's a general Middle Eastern dessert.)

Feb 10, 2018
Usually when I eat desserts I don't care much about fat, I already know I'm indulging :P So I don't know how to help you with the no fats things - But one super easy dessert I like to make is Malabi. It's fresh, not super sweet, and I don't believe it has a lot of sugar or fat (or at the very least, you can easily control how much sugar, since most of it is in the syrup you pour on top.)
Here's a nice recepie in English I found (you can switch the milk to any plant-based milk, I recommend coconut!) https://www.thespruceeats.com/malabi-rosewater-milk-pudding-4163433
A few notes: The syrup is not optional, the pudding itself doesn't have much taste - At least a little bit should probably be poured on top. Then, spread some crushed peanuts and shredded coconut on top.
(Also, it's not actually an Israeli dessert, it's a general Middle Eastern dessert.)
Thank you. Might give it a go.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested I made a vegan discord. If there's already one active let me know!

Could be a good place to share product ideas, recipes, tips etc...

I've asked a few other members who expressed interest in one so I threw this together. PM me for an invite if you'd like to join.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested I made a vegan discord. If there's already one active let me know!

Could be a good place to share product ideas, recipes, tips etc...

I've asked a few other members who expressed interest in one so I threw this together. PM me for an invite if you'd like to join.

I joined. Come join us!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Discord link is above, you just need to post in the thread to see it. Come join us!

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What do you folks think about when celebrities announce that they are vegan? I am always very sceptical about it since there are tons of examples where the story is just not true and only got pushed really hard by vegan new outlets and activity sites.

Of course there are the outliers like Joaquin Phoenix and Toby Maguire, who are most def. vegan and then some. But especially in the sports scene I am not so sure - like Djokovic still has his fish restaurant.