• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
What do you folks think about when celebrities announce that they are vegan? I am always very sceptical about it since there are tons of examples where the story is just not true and only got pushed really hard by vegan new outlets and activity sites.

Of course there are the outliers like Joaquin Phoenix and Toby Maguire, who are most def. vegan and then some. But especially in the sports scene I am not so sure - like Djokovic still has his fish restaurant.
I definitely agree with your point that vegan sites will misinterpret or flat out lie, which just causes more confusion in our community which already has issues regarding information validity.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I joined! I barely know how to use discord though, just added the app last week. I also never game PC lol so I am not sure how much ill be checking it

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
What do you folks think about when celebrities announce that they are vegan? I am always very sceptical about it since there are tons of examples where the story is just not true and only got pushed really hard by vegan new outlets and activity sites.

Of course there are the outliers like Joaquin Phoenix and Toby Maguire, who are most def. vegan and then some. But especially in the sports scene I am not so sure - like Djokovic still has his fish restaurant.

More awareness is always good in my book, some people will literally go vegan just to be more like the celeb they like. Whether or not they are full vegan like you said is a different story.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

I honestly don't care.

Feb 10, 2018
Just had a greggs vegan steak bake, it was really good it tasted like meat, better in some ways.

I wish this thread was called "plant based era", I much prefer that term to "vegan", and I would not be surprised if using and encouraging "plant based" would actually result in better health for humans and less deaths of animals.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a greggs vegan steak bake, it was really good it tasted like meat, better in some ways.

I wish this thread was called "plant based era", I much prefer that term to "vegan", and I would not be surprised if using and encouraging "plant based" would actually result in better health for humans and less deaths of animals.
I tried their vegan sausage roll for the first time today, and it was pretty nice. I see what all the fuss is about now.

Feb 10, 2018
I tried their vegan sausage roll for the first time today, and it was pretty nice. I see what all the fuss is about now.
Make me feel more happy that there are more comfort food options available now that I'm plant based, I won't be having them to often because they are not the healthiest but they are healthier then the meat versions.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond and Tesco Plant Chef are top for me. For frozen ones I really like Linda McCartney Lincolnshire ones. Beyond Sausage is "ok" but at 2 for £5 they're just not good enough to justify the cost.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I've tried Beyond and aside from the ridiculous price they were a bit dry and bready, I'll give the others a go.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I really like the beyond sausage. they give me that same taste/mouthfeel that cheep sausages from Tesco's would back in the day. 😋

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Haha that's what I like about the Richmond ones, but they're way cheaper 🤤

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am really missing a good Hot-Dog. That one place that had almost perfect vegan dogs did close down... and every other one has soft sausages that just don't feel good to eat.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the Richmond meat-free sausages - amazing! Way better then Beyond Meat and way, way cheaper.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Oct 26, 2017
I am really missing a good Hot-Dog. That one place that had almost perfect vegan dogs did close down... and every other one has soft sausages that just don't feel good to eat.

Are you in the UK? Moving Mountains just launched hot dogs in Sainsburys (Frozen section). They're bloody expensive, but I've had them in restaurants before and they were really, really good. (I was given one without knowing it was an MM product , only vegan, and thought they had accidentally given me a real frankfurter)

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the Richmond meat-free sausages - amazing! Way better then Beyond Meat and way, way cheaper.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Glad you like 'em. They make a great sasuage sandwich!

If you can find them, Fry's Family hot dogs are pretty decent.

Feb 10, 2018
Tried this the other day, dam... its good.

t9lddEJ.jpg

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I had the meatless meatball marinara for lunch today. I love it! And they have vegan cheese at last! Had the vegan patty a few times when it came out but always felt it needed cheese so I stopped going, but now I'm there like once a week lol

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they can figure out how to make a vegan cheesy garlic bread steak and cheese sub I'll just live in Subway's I guess.

Feb 10, 2018
I had the meatless meatball marinara for lunch today. I love it! And they have vegan cheese at last! Had the vegan patty a few times when it came out but always felt it needed cheese so I stopped going, but now I'm there like once a week lol

I actually think there vegan cheese is better then there normal cheese (uk)

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Hello all. Just pointed here from the other thread. Been plant-based for three weeks now, and managing fine so far.

I'll go back through this thread for all your top tips. :-)

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I feel so spoiled here in London with all the vegan options, especially in Hackney where I am. Every week it seems there are new vegan "releases" at every single grocery chain.

Feb 10, 2018

For UK people
Tried these today, they are mainly mushrooms and pea protein, they taste really meaty and nice.
The only negative is that they have added vegetable fat, however some may consider this a plus as it will improve the taste.

Online Food Shopping | Grocery Delivery | ASDA Groceries

Shop online at ASDA Groceries. The same great prices as in store, delivered to your door or click and collect from store.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is just good ol' capitalism at work, but it put a smile on my face to see vegans being advertised to more like this. Kind of makes it feel like many more people are becoming vegans.

WAhEivE.png

(Was having a browse of Sainsbury's website, and there was this banner staring at me).

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm 2 weeks into eating vegan only. I was a pretty light meat eater anyway so picking up a premade nuke in the micro spag bol made with mushroom instead of mince is not a big deal. I am the worst cook I know though so if I get through the, limited in comparison, premade things in the Supermarket then the test will become real I suspect. Milk was my main worry but I found Oat Unsweetened works great for me. Well, I haven't tried it with cereal yet but I don't see it being bad. Admittedly this vegan kick coincides with a diet but it's preparatory-wise exactly the same as I was before. Buy a thing I can nuke, toast some bread, eat. No change in buying or making for me to be Vegan. So far at least.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oat milk is great with cereal. I currently use the barista ones for everything. I might switch to unsweetened almond milk if I ever go on low carb diet.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 2 weeks into eating vegan only. I was a pretty light meat eater anyway so picking up a premade nuke in the micro spag bol made with mushroom instead of mince is not a big deal. I am the worst cook I know though so if I get through the, limited in comparison, premade things in the Supermarket then the test will become real I suspect. Milk was my main worry but I found Oat Unsweetened works great for me. Well, I haven't tried it with cereal yet but I don't see it being bad. Admittedly this vegan kick coincides with a diet but it's preparatory-wise exactly the same as I was before. Buy a thing I can nuke, toast some bread, eat. No change in buying or making for me to be Vegan. So far at least.
Going vegan really isn't that hard, as far as cooking for yourself goes. Most of the recipes I use are not vegan but I just substitute cow cream/milk with oat/coconut/soy cream or milk, butter with different oils or plant-based spreads (depending on what I'm doing) and meat with chickpeas, mushrooms, self-made seitan or some commercial meat alternative that I've found I like, and that's about it as far as the steps I need to go through to transform most recipes. Because the funny truth is, most recipes are already technically, like, 95% vegan and it's really just the meat and/or the cream (and eggs) that make it not vegan. So once you just learn to pick the vegan cream alternatives and find your favorites from how to replace meat (be that chickpeas or meat-like vegan substitutes), you can just keep doing what you were doing before turning vegan with the most effortless changes to recipes.

Eggs can often be left out completely without need of any replacement without there being much of a difference and if there absolutely has to be something egg-like for whatever reason, you can start to delve into different styles of replacing different types of egg-usage (tofu, black salt & aquafaba are things you'll hear a lot about, and surprisingly bananas, avocados & apples in baking).

It maybe gets a bit harder if there's cheese involved, because vegan cheeses (at least the mass market ones) are still lagging behind in the so-good-that-you-don't-really-miss-the-"real-deal" sense in terms of taste, texture and/or how they behave in certain situations (like how they melt on top of a pizza), but

1) human taste is adaptable (something might taste weird at first but if you find something you even half-like, you might end up liking it a bit more down the road if you keep using it). I had a hard time finding a cheese I like for pizzas, but nowadays there are a couple I've come to like decently much, even though first impressions weren't super-favourable

2) there are some mass market vegan cheeses that work perfectly fine in some situations (perhaps not eaten separately or with wine like artesan cheeses or on top of a bread as is, but could work when melted into a cheese-sauce) especially if fine-tuned with some tricks (seasonings can go a long way to hide the weird (after)taste that quite a few mass market vegan cheeses have for some reason)

3) you can get a lot of mileage from nutritional yeast + garlic powder (+ onion powder) + cumin powder + vinegar/lemon-juice combo, especially when talking about cheesy sauces & dips. Nutritional yeast can add a cheesy taste to stuff (though be aware there are differences between nutritional yeast products, so you might have to try out different brands/products to find the one you like the best), further enhanced by garlic, cumin and a bit of sourness from vinegars or lemon juice.

But yeah, especially nowadays it's not all that hard to just take non-vegan recipes that you like and make them vegan with 2-3 meat/dairy replacements/omissions and basically get the same/really similar, delicious end result. Or at least something you'll learn to appreciate, even if at first you miss something from your meaty, dairy-y days.

+ as much as I personally love seitan and a lot of commercial products that emulate meat products, it bears noting that not every meal absolutely HAS to have meat-like stuff in it. Introduce falafels into your life if you haven't already (go to some local middle eastern food joint to get a taste of more authentic falafel, some of the falafel you might get from big store chains or, like, a falafel burger at McDonalds are often pale/shitty imitations of the real deal), check out some delicious Indian recipes/places that use beans, (chick)peas and vegetables in ultra-tasty, spicy/well-seasoned sauces and just explore the world outside having meat (even substitutes) in and on everything on every meal everyday. Like, a slice of (fresh) bread with some (good) hummus/other seasoned spread can be a nearly religious experience without any need for salami/bacon (or their vegan substitutes) that some people seem to stick to everything they eat.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Snip For Shortness Sake :D
Thanks for this extension write up. It's still early days for me. Essentially it's going down aisles in the Supermarket I haven't previously. I did not say I was the worst cook in my post however in a humble brag kind of way. I really do suck at any and all cooking. Granted I shy away from it so can never get better but that was my gist when I said it would only get hard if I have to devise things to make. Being I never 'made' food or indeed had the word Recipe in my vocabulary pre-vegan days it's going to take a lot for me to suddenly start up any interest in it at all. Mostly my shopping consists of looking at things that say 'Vegetarian Safe' and looking down the list of ingredients to see if I can puzzle out why it's not Vegan Safe. Anyway, I'm rambling and my microwave is calling me to come nuke something. Thanks again for taking the time to type all this out.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this extension write up. It's still early days for me. Essentially it's going down aisles in the Supermarket I haven't previously. I did not say I was the worst cook in my post however in a humble brag kind of way. I really do suck at any and all cooking. Granted I shy away from it so can never get better but that was my gist when I said it would only get hard if I have to devise things to make. Being I never 'made' food or indeed had the word Recipe in my vocabulary pre-vegan days it's going to take a lot for me to suddenly start up any interest in it at all. Mostly my shopping consists of looking at things that say 'Vegetarian Safe' and looking down the list of ingredients to see if I can puzzle out why it's not Vegan Safe. Anyway, I'm rambling and my microwave is calling me to come nuke something. Thanks again for taking the time to type all this out.
A lot of vegetarian items are in fact vegan, but will have been produced in a factory that handles milk, eggs, etc. So they label it vegetarian with a "may contain traces of" warning even though there's nothing in the actual ingredients that would make it not vegan. There's obviously other things to look out for like vitamin D and some E numbers etc, but over time you get good at picking up a vegetarian product and scanning the ingredients for things in bold (in the UK anyway) and then going "yup that's vegan"

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Random thought: in a vegan world this whole Covid19 shit wouldn't have happened.

Another reason to try and convert others.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Random thought: in a vegan world this whole Covid19 shit wouldn't have happened.

Another reason to try and convert others.

Correct, I've started sending Dr. Greger's videos to family members, some have taken it to heart. It's a convincing presentation for me, because there is science to back up the claims.

He has different variations on this talk, but I like this one he did at google: