• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Add nuts and seeds to stuff. Avocados also have a relatively high amount of calories. If you don't like to eat em as is or even marinated, you can always use a blender or such and throw some among smoothies or make some bread spread with a stick blender with avocados, chickpeas and spices/tasty things of your liking, both of which are good ways to hide the taste/texture of avocado while reaping the benefits of its healthiness.

Thanks but that doesn't appeal to me unfortunately. I couldn't get myself to consume that regularly I mean.

I do love broccoli soup and beans. Brown rice and curry is good. Bread and olive oil is heavenly. I love a lot of pasta dishes too but should limit those to twice a week.

I need to find more simple dishes like that.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer brown rice and quinoa is much more expensive. Then again I'm not a big fan of rice.

Problem with most vegan foods on that list is that either they don't taste good to me and the ones I do like (nuts, dark chocolate) are too expensive to fulfil more than 10% of my daily calorie intake.
Not all nuts and seeds are expensive. Some can be but you can buy those in lesser amounts (if you like the taste of a particular expensive one) and buy the cheaper ones in bulk.

I get a lot of my calorie intake from milk (1 liter a day). I'd love to know if there's an alternative (also in liquid form) that's not much more expensive (so not almond milk).
There are a lot of plant alternatives to milk, many of them not all that expensive. A little more expensive than milk but we are talking about tens of cents per liter, not euros/dollars more. It's not just soy and almond milk but there's also oat, coconut, rice and cashew milk, among others. You also shouldn't drink too much milk, it's not necessarily all that good for you. Better keep it at a couple of servings per day. 1 liter per day sounds a bit excessive.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
1. Well if most meals don't taste good to you I suggest you switch out your rotation.
2. A huge bag of quinoa is not that expensive at Costco.
3. Why are you concerned about calorie intake? Are you already very underweight? if not your body will self regulate to a large degree and tell you how much it wants and needs to eat. Works especially well if you are not hocked on sugars and processed foods.

I'm a picky eater and prefer to eat in small portions. I also don't want to put a lot of effort in meals so I'm looking for simple/quick dishes. For those reasons I'm hooked on sugary foods and rely on milk for a pretty big part of my caloric intake.

Not all nuts and seeds are expensive. Some can be but you can buy those in lesser amounts (if you like the taste of a particular expensive one) and buy the cheaper ones in bulk.

There are a lot of plant alternatives to milk, many of them not all that expensive. A little more expensive than milk but we are talking about tens of cents per liter, not euros/dollars more. It's not just soy and almond milk but there's also oat, coconut, rice and cashew milk, among others. You also shouldn't drink too much milk, it's not necessarily all that good for you. Better keep it at a couple of servings per day. 1 liter per day sounds a bit excessive.

Milk is at least €1 cheaper per liter, the alternatives are crazy expensive here and have less calories.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks but that doesn't appeal to me unfortunately. I couldn't get myself to consume that regularly I mean.
I mean, avocado is highly adaptable. You can make a billion different kinds of smoothies and add avocado into any of them without it affecting the end outcome at all (assuming the ratio of avocados vs everything else isn't compltetely lopsided). And who doesn't like smoothies? Add some frozen bananas (also good for energy), strawberries and blueberries, one or two avocados, lentils and some plant-based milk or yoghurt and you've got a decently calorie dense and healthy drinkable thing.

As far as bread spreads go, sky's the limit as well. You can season it to whatever taste you like, so it should suite anyone's taste. Chili? Garlic? Paprika? Curry? A mix of any or all of those? Doesn't sound good to you? You say you like bread and olive oil. Bread + a spread made of chickpeas, avokado, oil, a little bit of salt and some spices/things that bring flavor trump plain olive oil any day of the week.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I mean, avocado is highly adaptable. You can make a billion different kinds of smoothies and add avocado into any of them without it affecting the end outcome at all (assuming the ratio of avocados vs everything else isn't compltetely lopsided). And who doesn't like smoothies? Add some frozen bananas (also good for energy), strawberries and blueberries, one or two avocados, lentils and some plant-based milk or yoghurt and you've got a decently calorie dense and healthy drinkable thing.

As far as bread spreads go, sky's the limit as well. You can season it to whatever taste you like, so it should suite anyone's taste. Chili? Garlic? Paprika? Curry? A mix of any or all of those? Doesn't sound good to you? You say you like bread and olive oil. Bread + a spread made of chickpeas, avokado, oil, a little bit of salt and some spices/things that bring flavor trump plain olive oil any day of the week.

I'm getting hungry now, I'll try some things out. Thanks!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting hungry now, I'll try some things out. Thanks!
I hope you find something new that you like! Also, just a word of encouragement and advice since you seemed to dislike so many things in that list: the human taste palette/eating habits are highly adaptable (and also changes as you get older, since tastebuds aren't 4ever). If you don't like something on first try, it might just be that you are just offput by an unfamiliar taste/texture or you have still so much tastebuds that you taste some flavor you don't like too strongly (in which case try again a few years later).

But try introducing healthy stuff/things you want to introduce to your diet little by little and you might notice you start liking (or at the very least tolerating) them after awhile. Eat a bite here and there, maybe when available at a workplace buffet or a restaurant, wherever you frequent that offers those things. Of course the way stuff is made or handled and the quality of stuff also matters. Like avocados. Even if you'll hate plain avocados for the rest of your life, if used as an ingridient in stuff that goes *smush*, it can work. There's nothing worse than canned mushrooms, those taste like salty pieces of an eraser. Also a lot of variance in olives. Tomatoes can be watery, tasteless shit or supertasty treats. Tofu can be kinda bad but avoid some bad brands and/or cook it the right way and it can be delicious.

Just something to bear in mind. Approach stuff with open mind and try different ways of cooking/using ingredients (or test out those things in different restaurants prepared in different ways by different chefs, if you don't want to cook yourself) and they might just surprise you, don't let a (few) bad experience(s) scare you away from trying some things again.

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for high calorie dishes without pasta. Any suggestions? Most vegan dishes seem to be loads of veggies. I'm not a big eater and it's hard for me to imagine going vegan without eating large quantities of low calorie foods. I'm soy intolerant so that's out.
Peanut butter is your friend. Try this sauce in a stir fry or for dipping spring- or summer rolls: http://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html#lightbox/4/

Hummus with a lot of tahini is also a fantastic high-calorie food: https://minimalistbaker.com/best-ever-5-minute-microwave-hummus/ Pair it with bread, veggies or whatever else you like to dip. Also works great as a sandwich spread, or even as a sauce. I often serve hummus with grilled veggies, roasted chickpeas and some type of grain.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Peanut butter is your friend. Try this sauce in a stir fry or for dipping spring- or summer rolls: http://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html#lightbox/4/

Hummus with a lot of tahini is also a fantastic high-calorie food: https://minimalistbaker.com/best-ever-5-minute-microwave-hummus/ Pair it with bread, veggies or whatever else you like to dip. Also works great as a sandwich spread, or even as a sauce. I often serve hummus with grilled veggies, roasted chickpeas and some type of grain.

All kinds of great nut butters out there too, to add some variety. I've been using my vitamix to make almond butter and sunflower seed butter.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Holy shit, I can't believe I never tried oat milk before. Just had some and it's great, even though I hate oatmeal. I can quit milk now, yay!

I will look into different nut butters as well.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I can't find anything interesting to comment on in Resetera, so I will reply here!

So, when did you guys go vegan and why? I became a vegan when I was 15 (23 now) when I learned how animals were treated. It was literally an overnight change as well, because I stopped eating meat the very next day and never looked back. Today, the idea of eating or watching someone eat meat makes me physically sick.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I studied biology in university, really just came into realization just how bad meat and dairy production was to Earth. There happened to be a vegetarian/vegan Facebook challenge and I decided to try it. Ibstarted witg vegetarianism and ingredient by ingredient slowly transitioned to finding vegan alternatives. This was around the new year's eve of 2009/2010. I was 22 at the time. So almost 10 years soon.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I'd been veggie since the age of 5 (27 years ago) as the idea of animals for food repulsed me. Told myself I wanted to be Vegan during my teens but loved pizza too much and didn't know too much about it. At 19 I started dating a Veggie who became Vegan around 6 months in and asked me to do the same for animal rights reasons, I didn't really have an excuse as to why not (although I did sneak one last pizza in). This was 12 years ago now and it's the best decision I've made in life and it's been a piece of cake really (and it's got super easy over the last few years as a new product seems to come out monthly).

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went vegan somewhere around 2009 or 2010 (I wish I had a better record of when I made the change), after transitioning from pescatarian to ovo-lacto vegetarian, before finally going fully vegan. I was interested in it from a health aspect, but the ethical argument is what finally convinced me to give it a try. Each step along the way, I thought the next step was too extreme or difficult, but each time, it ended up being far easier than I believed. I started veganism as a 30 day challenge to myself, and just never stopped. I'm now living in Portland, so it's stupidly easy being vegan here, and it's great knowing other vegans (and a lot of them!)

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone hear anything re the Beyond Burger coming to the UK and are UK people aware of the new Iceland Vegan burger which many are heralding as the best burger? I think Iceland may have taken note at Farmfoods range doing so well; they've also come out and said none of their products will contain palm oil (not something I avoid but a situation which needs improving massively).

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw something re it coming out in EU countries (including the UK) slowly but with plans to ramp it up. Oddly I don't actually miss meat (Veggie since 5) but I like the taste of faux meats and the more 'luxurious' the product the better!

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone hear anything re the Beyond Burger coming to the UK and are UK people aware of the new Iceland Vegan burger which many are heralding as the best burger? I think Iceland may have taken note at Farmfoods range doing so well; they've also come out and said none of their products will contain palm oil (not something I avoid but a situation which needs improving massively).
I thought I saw something about it coming to wholefoods in the uk or something, but I could be wrong. The Iceland burger really is good though, had one on saturday. It was totally undercooked despite cooking for the stated time, but still tasted great and had a very mince-like consistency. Might be my new top burger, just a shame Iceland is a pain to get to for me lol.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen Vegini but if I do I shall try it (as I pretty much do all Vegan products).

My Iceland burger was slightly undercooked the first time too, I spend a lot of time in Vegan Food UK and the general consensus is the cooking instructions are rubbish. Agree it's my favourite burger too, even though I've never had the real thing.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Slapped a couple of the Iceland burgers on the BBQ over the weekend (well, on a tray on the BBQ as I was worried they'd fall through the grill as they defrosted) and they came out great, definitely need more time than the pack says.

Also got hold of some of the Goodfella's Vegan Falafel pizzas which were delicious with my other weekend find of Daiya shredded mozzarella. Not sure if I'll be buying the Daiya again tho, it's good but at £5.50 for a small bag it's far too expensive. I picked up one of their blocks of cheese too but not tried it yet. Unless it's the best thing ever it likely won't be purchased again as again it was £5.50 and the block is tiny.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'll probably give the Daiya a good (probably with a 15% off your first online order voucher) but I rarely eat Vegan cheese these days (Got into cheeseless pizzas and meze over the last few years). Not that I don't like dairy free cheese I'm just missing them a lot less (Tyne garlic spreadable on Papa Johns crusts though is amazing).

The Goodfellas pizza was okay too, I'm reluctant to call it pizza but as a lover of meze it's pretty decent (especially for the price). Definitely improved with some chili, olives and onions too for extra flavour and texture.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I've been making this Butternut Squash Mac-n-Cheese more often than I like to admit over the last couple weeks. :p

https://www.veggieinspired.com/butternut-mac/

Add peas, carrots, etc. after blending for some extra crunch and variety. :)

Butternut-Squash-Mac-and-Cheese-1.jpg

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, that looks so good.

Might give it a try sometime this week. Mac 'n cheese was my favourite when I was a kid.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who makes seitan, I tried this recipe for "microwave setian" from a fb group I'm in - It's probably the easiest and quickest seitan recipe I've ever tried and actually gave decent results!

I didn't use the mushroom powder because I hate mushrooms, and I didn't have any chives either, so I added some "pork seasoning" mix instead (going to try "chicken seasoning" next time). I also subbed the flour for chickpea flour. Just mixed it all up and pressed it down into a flat microwaveable dish then added a layer of oil (I just used olive oil) on top and bunged it in the microwave.

1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/8 cup flour
1 tbsp mushroom powder
1 tbsp dried chives

300ml hot water
1 tbsp brown miso
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce

Once everything was well mixed I covered the loaf with a mix of neutral oil and sesame oil. Then microwaved for 6 minutes.

Last edited:

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, Vital Wheat Gluten. I'll edit that in.
Recipe just said flour so I guess they probably mean plain flour. It helps to add a bit in seitan recipes as it makes the end product a little less dense.

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
Hello Vegan Era! I was wondering if anyone had any good vitamin B-12 supplement recommendations? I'm not sure if there's a good tablet to take or if I should try and find a multivitamin with some in it?

I know nutritional yeast is supposed to be rich in it but I never liked the taste of cheese so I have never tried nutritional yeast. I'm also in the US for reference.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Hello Vegan Era! I was wondering if anyone had any good vitamin B-12 supplement recommendations? I'm not sure if there's a good tablet to take or if I should try and find a multivitamin with some in it?

I know nutritional yeast is supposed to be rich in it but I never liked the taste of cheese so I have never tried nutritional yeast. I'm also in the US for reference.
Here is a cheap B-12 bottle on Amazon.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

We get the b12 bottle from Costco. Tasty cherry. ;)

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Are there any veggie hot dogs that actually taste good? Or even close to a proper hot dog?

I've tried some cheapo soy dogs that literally bubbled (eww) when I broiled them and tasted nasty, and then Fieldroasters, who were recommended on Reddit, and they dried out on the grill and didn't taste anything like hot dogs. I didn't care for them.

I don't understand how hot dogs can be made out of pork, beef, chicken, turkey or whatever by product is sitting on the factory floor, and mostly taste the same, but that isn't possible with soy?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Both my sister and mom (omnivores) enjoy Lightlife veggie dogs and say they taste the same as an animal based hot dog. The Beyond Meat sausages are also pretty good I have heard. They are only at Whole Foods now and even then I have yet to see them at the one closest to me.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Both my sister and mom (omnivores) enjoy Lightlife veggie dogs and say they taste the same as an animal based hot dog. The Beyond Meat sausages are also pretty good I have heard. They are only at Whole Foods now and even then I have yet to see them at the one closest to me.
The Lightlife soy dogs were the ones that actually bubbled when I cooked them.

Are the veggie dogs different?

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
So I tried the Beyond Burger last week.

Pretty damn good. I think it's tasty in its own right, the flavour wasn't super reminiscent of beef I didn't think, the texture was very good though. To me it just had a non-descript meaty flavour. Anyway, it was just a damn nice burger that I basically demolished in about a minute. I got it from Lord of the Fries in Australia but hopefully other fast food places start using it too. I reckon if places get clever with the spices and the condiments you could get some even tastier results.

It's crazy to see how quickly things are changing in terms of options and stuff like the beyond products and their ilk will make it so much easier. When I was growing up as a vegetarian we used to get these sad little veggo sausages in tins which we'd bring to BBQs, now there are so many legit options.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I tried the Beyond Burger last week.

Pretty damn good. I think it's tasty in its own right, the flavour wasn't super reminiscent of beef I didn't think, the texture was very good though. To me it just had a non-descript meaty flavour. Anyway, it was just a damn nice burger that I basically demolished in about a minute. I got it from Lord of the Fries in Australia but hopefully other fast food places start using it too. I reckon if places get clever with the spices and the condiments you could get some even tastier results.

It's crazy to see how quickly things are changing in terms of options and stuff like the beyond products and their ilk will make it so much easier. When I was growing up as a vegetarian we used to get these sad little veggo sausages in tins which we'd bring to BBQs, now there are so many legit options.
Things like Beyond Burgers should make it super easy for any restaruant to start offer great vegan burgers. :)

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
Hello everyone!

I am new to this community, and fairly new to vegetarianism (since Feb last year). I am trying to transition into a vegan diet since being meatless has had such an incredibly positive impact on my body, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on vegan foods that have no nuts, avocado, or kale since I can't eat any of that and vegan options seem to load all of that in.

In fact I have many questions haha.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Hello everyone!

I am new to this community, and fairly new to vegetarianism (since Feb last year). I am trying to transition into a vegan diet since being meatless has had such an incredibly positive impact on my body, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on vegan foods that have no nuts, avocado, or kale since I can't eat any of that and vegan options seem to load all of that in.

Are you asking for vegan food or vegan meals without those? Because unless you are specifically looking a kale salad/soup recipe, it will not be an ingredient in Asian inspired dishes for example. Avocado is usually a topping versus the focus of a vegan entree, so it can be omitted fairly easily. Nuts are easy to avoid due to labeling requirements and depending on the recipe can be substituted. Almond/cashew milk can be switched out and soy/pea protein instead. I think the biggest issue for nuts would be making homemade vegan cheese.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Hello everyone!

Welcome welcome.
For recipes I always end up just googling "<food I am craving> vegan simple recipe"
I love minimalist baker, because their recipes typically have very short ingredients lists and don't rely heavily on dozens of special one-off items (which I try to avoid anyway)
https://minimalistbaker.com/recipes/vegan/

Might I ask why you cannot eat nuts, avocado and kale? They are all super nutritious and thereby very popular.

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
Are you asking for vegan food or vegan meals without those? Because unless you are specifically looking a kale salad/soup recipe, it will not be an ingredient in Asian inspired dishes for example. Avocado is usually a topping versus the focus of a vegan entree, so it can be omitted fairly easily. Nuts are easy to avoid due to labeling requirements and depending on the recipe can be substituted. Almond/cashew milk can be switched out and soy/pea protein instead. I think the biggest issue for nuts would be making homemade vegan cheese.
Sorry, I mean in the foods that are pre-made like if you go to a grocery store and they have vegan meals or proteins (additives) it always seems like cashews and avocado is in everything but then again, it also might just be where I live; This is all especially true for going out to restaurants because what the heck, I know it is all easy enough to omit but I am still getting used to reading past the calories and "may contain" part of labels.

Welcome welcome.
For recipes I always end up just googling "<food I am craving> vegan simple recipe"
I love minimalist baker, because their recipes typically have very short ingredients lists and don't rely heavily on dozens of special one-off items (which I try to avoid anyway)
https://minimalistbaker.com/recipes/vegan/

Might I ask why you cannot eat nuts, avocado and kale? They are all super nutritious and thereby very popular.
Oh awesome link thank you! I have been trying to find recipes that don't need those fancy specialty items either lol.

I am allergic to nuts (except almonds and peanuts), and I have a severe intolerance to green foods that aren't lettuce or celery/cucumber/peas so unfortunately they have to be avoided :(

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Any vegan podcast recommendations? I'm already subscribed to Food for Thought, Vegan Business Talk and Main Street Vegan.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Dominos NZ now offers vegan cheese. I'll have to test that sometime.

I like that more and more companies are offering vegan options, it makes it possible to eat out with friends without having to go to specific places or stick to eating fries.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Even better if they clearly mark it in the menu, that way one can avoid drawing unwanted attention.

Yeah. So many places label vegan stuff as vegetarian, which I don't really get. Is it because of the stigma associated with the word vegan? I don't know but having to ask 'Excuse me, do you have vegan options?' every time is annoying and can trigger annoying questions from people who don't know you're vegan. I just want to have lunch and talk about random shit, I don't wanna explain why I'm vegan for the 500th time haha